Beware the hot tubs on FOS

I wore my silver Pandora bracelet in the hot tub on FOS and it became horribly tarnished, I tried cleaning it at home with no success. I am taking it in to the store to have it professionally cleaned. Don't wear any silver jewellery into the hot tubs!

I wore my silver Pandora bracelet in the hot tub on FOS and it became horribly tarnished, I tried cleaning it at home with no success. I am taking it in to the store to have it professionally cleaned. Don't wear any silver jewellery into the hot tubs!

I just bought my wife a Pandora bracelet and they told us straight up, don't wear in any pool or hot tub. (We also own a hot tub)

So it is really beware of any hot tub not just FOS

Pandora is not exactly cheap! Fortunately they have offered to clean it free of charge.

Unfortunately, price is not a good measure of quality. To quote an old marketing guru, " It costs more because we charge you more":D

Chlorine has a chemical reaction with silver. It's not a function of the FOS hot tubs, it's a function of chemicals. It can damage gold over time, but doesn't discolor it.

I figure most things on a cruise ship are an outbreak waiting to happen...the hot tub is just one of the many areas where doom is waiting to strike itself upon you ;)

that's why I never cruise without my tin foil hat!

Pandora is not exactly cheap! Fortunately they have offered to clean it free of charge.

I never said it was, there is a difference in cheap and low quality. Pandora metals MAY be low quality, but they are expensive because people will pay for that 'stuff'

you should actually thank FOS's hot tubs for giving you a reminder of your vacation, this way you don't have to spend 200 bucks on a new charm! lol

Agreed and since I don't own any expensive jewelery, I have no worries.

OP...hope a professional jeweler can clean it, sorry it was an expensive lesson learned. :(

There really isn't much of anything a jeweler can do. It's the chlorine as I stated above. I have a family member who has a PhD in chemistry and he told us that after another family member tried to "sterilize" silverplate by putting bleach in the water when their hot water heater died. It permanently damaged the silver.

There really isn't much of anything a jeweler can do. It's the chlorine as I stated above. I have a family member who has a PhD in chemistry and he told us that after another family member tried to "sterilize" silverplate by putting bleach in the water when their hot water heater died. It permanently damaged the silver.

You are so right. I was cleaning with a chlorox solution once and was wearing a silver bracelet. Bracelet became trash.

You really, seriously thought that chlorine was good for silver? Silver tarnishes....that's why they sell all those tarnish remover products. The more pure the silver, the more easily it tarnishes, obviously.

Archived