kids program

Big Easy

And then you have us...on our 21 days in the South Pacific with many sea days, I realized at the end that we were not at the pool even once. Had a cabana we didn't use due to the motion bothering DH. Not quite sure why we didn't go out by the pool, and was surprised at the end of the cruise when I realized it, as we have enjoyed that area in the past.

Mo

Mr. Kamlani, I appreciate and am impressed that you are paying attention to the comments on this board. I personally think the kids program seems like a good idea, for what it's worth.

Personally I have mixed feelings on this issue. We originally came to Renaissance precisely because of the no-children, no-smoking rules, and have stuck with Oceania even with its modified rules re children and smoking.

Having been on ships that have had excellent children's programs, I can see that it is possible to have happy children AND happy adults. But those ships were all larger. Even on Marina/Riviera I can't see where they would accommodate the children. And no way can I imagine what Oceania is considering in terms of Regatta and Nautica.

I'll have to see it to believe it, I guess ... and most likely we will avoid any itinerary that caters to children. I'd rather hear some positive reports from people whose opinions I trust before venturing on such a cruise.

Mura

Everyone I know who sails Oceania loves the R ships and sails O specifically because there are no kids or kids programs.

quote]

In agreement, that is one of the main reasons we decided to try Oceania this year.

I think that could be said for all of us who love O but would probably stay away if things changed. :mad:

The trend today is for parents to take children out of school for vacations on the theory that these vacations are "educational." Some schools even cooperate by providing assignments. I have even seen this happen for trips to Disney World!

As a former high school principal, I find the trend very disturbing. Bottom line: you can never be sure any travel period will be "kid-free."

I'm a proud grandmother, and I love my grandchildren, but I recognize that some settings are appropriate for them and others are not. Oceania does not seem to be appropriate. No matter how well organized children's programs are, there will be a time when the children will be under the care of their parents, and, unfortunately in some cases, that's when behavior breaks down. Because a ship is a closed environment, some parents feel confident in allowing children the run of the ship without being aware of their behavior. Staff are not permitted to discipline children unless their behavior is dangerous, and, frankly, it's the parent's job to be aware of their children's actions.

We sailed Marina this Spring from Barcelona to Rome. There was a very large extended family on board from Spain. Grandfather had paid for all the children and grandchildren, which is a lovely idea if the children were supervised. But they were not. Teenagers ran shouting in the halls and almost knocked over several people. They played in the elevators and pushed in front of others there and on tenders. The adults dined alone in one specialty restaurant while the children ate alone in another. On one such night in Toscano, the children were up and down and running through the restaurant. They were reaching into the large wheel of Parmesan cheese at the entrance to the restaurant with their hands and digging out cheese. (Had the Maitre D' seen this, I'm certain he would have stopped them, but it is a large restaurant, and he was at the other end). They doubled the noise level in the restaurant and in other public places. I understand that it is a cultural tradition for children to dine late in some countries, but a parent should be there to keep them well behaved.

We sail Crystal regularly, and we have observed children running wild in the dining room during late seating, while their parents beamed at them. I think my grandkids are adorable, but I doubt that others think they are so cute when they are misbehaving in an environment that should be relaxied, sophisticated and geared for adults.

I understand Oceania's desire to offer family friendly cruises to Alaska, and I applaud good children's programs. But parents need to step up to the plate and take responsibility for their children.

Ricki

. On one such night in Toscano, the children were up and down and running through the restaurant. They were reaching into the large wheel of Parmesan cheese at the entrance to the restaurant with their hands and digging out cheese. (Had the Maitre D' seen this, I'm certain he would have stopped them, but it is a large restaurant, and he was at the other end).

Ricki

YIKES:eek::eek:

I would have made sure it was brought to his attention ..you could ask your waiter to have the Maitre'd come to your table or if that fails seek him out

That is a food safety issue...who know where their little hands have been before digging in the cheese wheel

Lyn

Have you ever seen children at a buffet?

Nuff said.

I applaud Ricki's attitude. Unfortunately that is not the attitude that is most prevalent when I see parents on vacation with kids. What Ricki described on the Marina cruise is exactly what most of us want to avoid.

YIKES:eek::eek:

I would have made sure it was brought to his attention ..you could ask your waiter to have the Maitre'd come to your table or if that fails seek him out

That is a food safety issue...who know where their little hands have been before digging in the cheese wheel

Lyn

Actually, I did tell our waiter, who, in turn told the Maitre D', but at that point the deed was done and all he could do was prevent any more forays with little hands.

Ricki

Agree with many posters above that the #1 reason we chose Oceania was the absence of family-oriented programs. We researched many, many cruise lines before choosing O, and this change of programming - even if restricted to the "R" class ships and specific itineraries for now - is a big disappointment.

After hearing others rave about the smaller ships while on Marina last fall, we had hoped to try them in future. We will not do so if there are dedicated kid's programs offered, even if the sailing occurred when most schools are in session.

It's hard to believe that Oceania will attract enough new cruising families to offset the loss of past O cruisers who will avoid any ship offering children's facilities and programs. One assumes they have market research justifying this change. It would have been interesting to see who was surveyed; sounds like it was not past guests of O!

In addition to the nuisances that unsupervised or poorly behaved children can cause in public spaces, I would also be concerned about in-cabin disturbances. Kids running in the halls, playing and jumping in the cabin above, goofing around (and worse) on the balcony, a irritated or sick toddler wailing all night in an adjacent cabin...ugh. :eek:

We view our cabin as a sanctuary where we can read, indulge in a midafternoon snooze, sip a glass of port at the end of the day, or just daydream on the balcony. If it no longer reliably provided a calm and relaxing environment, we would not sail.

[quote=

One assumes they have market research justifying this change. It would have been interesting to see who was surveyed; sounds like it was not past guests of O!

The market research consisted of complaints of several passengers on a holiday cruise!

Had they polled past passengers they would have gotten a resounding, "Don't do it."

I'm curious if any know what the kids policy is on Azamara?

There are no children's programs on Azamara. I have my first Azamara cruise booked (perfect itinerary and time) and many other O cruisers are giving it a try. Things have really stepped up a notch there and it is getting great reviews from O cruisers who can compare the 2 lines. For someone like myself, who prefers the R ships, it gives me additional choices. If O expands these kids programs, it will be a no brainer.

I hope O leaves the R ships unaffected by kids programs.

You can minimize the chance that there will be kids on your cruise by choosing certain itineraries and dates. However, when it come to Alaska, because the cruise season is short and takes place primarily between May and September, you are certain to see kids on board, especially if there is a kids program.

Fortunately, seeing Alaska by cruise ship is one of the worst ways to see this magnificent place. We've done the inside passage cruise and an independent exploration by automobile, and the non-cruise trip was a far better experience if you want to experience the best of Alaska.

There are also *very* small boats that go to places the big ones don't. We are scheduled for a return to Alaska next May on the Pacific Catalyst...12 passengers. All inland waters. From there, we're going to rent a car in Anchorage and head up to Denali.

I've never posted on the Oceania board before, but I've been reading this thread since it started because we have 2 tweens and have been considering Oceania for Alaska 2013.

I personally think it's a good move on Oceania's part, however I can see why adult only cruisers might be upset. I think a good solution would be to offer a select number of cruises for the Alaska season as "family cruises." I noticed some of the small-ship cruise lines do this in Alaska - I think Innersea, American Safari and maybe Lindblad does as well... can't remember the exact lines for sure as I've looked at so many over the last month. They take 1 or 2 cruises a month for June and July and designate them as family sailings. If I remember correctly, on those sailings there will be activities on board for children and a naturalist devoted to the kids for educational programs.

Just a thought.

As a family of 4 who likes to travel well (you will never catch us on a Carnival or RCI ship), it's hard for us to find a good cruise match for Alaska. We prefer smaller ships as well, and our kids become overwhelmed if there are hundreds of other kids on board. Most likely we will end up sailing HAL, but Oceania is still in the consideration phase.

I've never posted on the Oceania board before, but I've been reading this thread since it started because we have 2 tweens and have been considering Oceania for Alaska 2013.

I personally think it's a good move on Oceania's part, however I can see why adult only cruisers might be upset. I think a good solution would be to offer a select number of cruises for the Alaska season as "family cruises." I noticed some of the small-ship cruise lines do this in Alaska - I think Innersea, American Safari and maybe Lindblad does as well... can't remember the exact lines for sure as I've looked at so many over the last month. They take 1 or 2 cruises a month for June and July and designate them as family sailings. If I remember correctly, on those sailings there will be activities on board for children and a naturalist devoted to the kids for educational programs.

Just a thought.

As a family of 4 who likes to travel well (you will never catch us on a Carnival or RCI ship), it's hard for us to find a good cruise match for Alaska. We prefer smaller ships as well, and our kids become overwhelmed if there are hundreds of other kids on board. Most likely we will end up sailing HAL, but Oceania is still in the consideration phase.

That sounds like a good idea on paper, but.... The cruise I was talking about on Regent was one that did not have a banner on the bottom indicating childrens' programs. That was the one after ours. However, $$$$ come into play and I guess when you see 6 adults and a bunch of kids (incidentally, the grandparents footed the entire bill), that's 3 suites booked and it would be hard to any company to refuse this. Much easier to turn their heads. Coincidentally, this is exactly what the adults did -- they turned their heads.

No smoking.no formal nights and no kids. Those are the features that have made us O fans. We depart soon for our ninth O cruise. We hope that it won't be our last. Stay with the features that have made O such a success.

Our feelings exactly!!!

It's time for O to admit that they made a mistake and get rid if the thoughts that kids programs are good. Thet will loose alot more revenue that they could make. Their core group of cruisers will go away. For sure. We would be gone. :mad:

Unfortunately O offering childrens' programs will not tackle the basic issue of how attentive the parent are or their willingness to pay attention to the child's to their behavior. Since the parents are on vacation I don't have much faith given the general parenting philosophy nowadays.

Not sure if this is a response to the parents of the holiday cruise or the fact that the new President has young children and wants to bring his family with them. Hope that is not the case and the "marketing " to families the justification. I doubt that marking things family cruises will help since people will forget and parents will book cruises where there are no children's programs forgetting they were only on certain itineraries.

We have been on some itineraries where the toddlers/teenagers were great but that was because the parents invested the time and energy to ensure they were entertained and not left it up to the cruise line.

We are looking at staying on O but only for extended itineraries, and moving to Azamara for 10 - 15 day cruises when we want luxury and peace and quiet.

Archived