Eurodam vs Westerdam?

DaveOKC

I am looking at two 7 day Eastern Carb. cruises, one on the Eurodam, the other on the Westerdam. Basically the same ports.

Any thoughts on which ship I should select? Pros and cons of each. Looking at a Superior Suite or Deluxe Suite, if that matters.

DaveOKC

We really like both and have had fun cruises on each.

We do like Tamarind and Silk Den so all things being equal, maybe give Eurodam a try first and then try Westerdam next,,,,,,, if that is possible. :)

New to HAL --- what is "Tamarind" ??? I imagine "Silk Den" is oriental food ??

Tamarind is a specialty restuarant (Asian) - only available on the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam. Silk Den is the spot for drinks.

What is the retreat cabana? Never heard of that before.

The E-dam, and her sister the Nieuw Amsterdam, have private cabanas in two areas of the ship: Lido, and the Retreat/Cabana Club two decks up.

These are tented spots, with loungers, table, lots of treats, where one can enjoy themselves in relatively quiet areas. The Retreat cabanas have a common area in the open where one can get some sun.

The Retreat area is open only to those who have paid for the privilege of being there.

The E-dam, and her sister the Nieuw Amsterdam, have private cabanas in two areas of the ship: Lido, and the Retreat/Cabana Club two decks up.

These are tented spots, with loungers, table, lots of treats, where one can enjoy themselves in relatively quiet areas. The Retreat cabanas have a common area in the open where one can get some sun.

The Retreat area is open only to those who have paid for the privilege of being there.

Sounds great, thank you for the description.

I found the cabanas at the lido pool to lead to a congested feeling on the Eurodam. Also, the Eurodam felt more crowded overall. However, the food in the Tamarid is wonderful and it is a newer ship. Although I prefer the Westerdam, we are booked on the Eurodam again this summer. Perhaps consider the ports more than the ship. We were happy on both.

I am looking at two 7 day Eastern Carb. cruises, one on the Eurodam, the other on the Westerdam. Basically the same ports.

Any thoughts on which ship I should select? Pros and cons of each. Looking at a Superior Suite or Deluxe Suite, if that matters.

DaveOKC

If cabin location is important to you then there is a big difference, especially in reference to being near the Lido/pool.

The Westerdam's SS cabins are basically one floor away from the Lido. On the Eurodam most are 3 floors away. Both ships have placed their Deluxe Suites 2 floors below the Lido deck.

If you are a frequent Lido/pool person perhaps a Superior Suite on the Westerdam would work better for you. Only try for one under the Lido area not the pool area ( no overhead noise).

If you are going for a Deluxe suite either Ship will work plus you will be snacking in the Neptune lounge anyway.

We've been three times on Westerdam and twice on Eurodam. I tend to like the decor and "extras" (Silk Den, Tamarind, Cabanas) on Eurodam but it seemed like we had a bit better and more attentive service on Westerdam. Westerdam also seemed to be a bit less crowded than Eurodam.

Overall you can't go wrong with either. I think the main differences may really lie in aesthetics.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on both ships. I personally liked the Westerdam more. Both are fine ships. The crew on the Westerdam seemed better to me.

That crew could be rotated to another ship by the time OP sails.

Archived