Carnival vs Celebrity - Southern Caribbean

TruRed76

My husband and I are looking at taking a cruise out of San Juan for our 10th Anniversary. We have it narrowed down to the Celebrity Summit or the Carnival Valor. I have sailed Carnival once before; my husband has never cruised. We are 35 years old, want to party a little but also want a good, relaxing cruise away from our kids :)

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! We haven't taken a trip for the two of us since our honeymoon to Hawaii so we want this vacation to be perfect!

My husband and I are looking at taking a cruise out of San Juan for our 10th Anniversary. We have it narrowed down to the Celebrity Summit or the Carnival Valor. I have sailed Carnival once before; my husband has never cruised. We are 35 years old, want to party a little but also want a good, relaxing cruise away from our kids :)

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! We haven't taken a trip for the two of us since our honeymoon to Hawaii so we want this vacation to be perfect!

It might be beneficial to you to read some customer reviews on both ships, but take the criticisms with a grain of salt. We have never sailed on Celebrity, but based on what I have read, Celebrity tends to cater to slightly older, less party enthusiastic people. We were recently on the Liberty, sister ship to the Valor. There was a pretty wide age range of people, and a good variety of on board activities for everyone. Some evenings, it was a little tough to choose what we wanted to do and what we were willing to miss out on. On a side note, if you've never been to the San Juan airport before, be aware of the fact that when you return to San Juan at the end of your cruise, there will be at least three or four other ships returning as well. This will make for some very long lines at the airport. Some people opt to stay over a day in San Juan, just to avoid the long lines. If you don't stay over, take a book to read, and be patient. And allow plenty of time for your departing flight.

Thanks for the reply - and advice on the airport. I have read so many reviews about both ships that I think I could draw the layout of each and tell you crew names! I like to research :). Will continue to look into it. So would if be recommended to fly in dat of departure since the ships leave port so late? It makes me very worried to do that!

I would not fly the day of departure even if the ship leave late. There are still too many things that can go wrong including a flight that is cancelled without other alternatives. Fly in a day or more before the cruise so when you board the ship you are all relaxed.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary.

Keith

I would choose by itinerary. If one has more places you would rather visit than the other and/or gives your more time in port, I would probably go with that one. Those are pretty port intensive itineraries, so unless you plan on cutting your time in port short, more time will be spent off the ship than on. Also, it will vary from sailing to sailing, but since there are very little sea days, many people that cruise those itineraries are pretty exhausted by the time night comes around. Although, there will be things to do at night, there will probably be less partying and things will be quieter than your typical Caribbean cruise (even on Carnival) because so many people are heading back to their cabins earlier to be up early for their next day in port.

As far as when to fly in, I would still get there a day (if not two) ahead of time. Not only will you have less stress on embarkment day, but San Juan is a great place to spend time in. You may want at least a day to explore that city before heading on your cruise. I spent a day there earlier this year and wish I had more time.

Have a great time on whichever cruise you decide to go with.

The ambiance on Celebrity cruises is more laid back, somewhat more upscale and subdued than Carnival. They offer enrichment presentations about a variety of subjects. Celebrity ships do not have the hairy chest contest. ;)

Carnival has a more lively, high energy vibe and a reputation for drawing more of a party crowd, especially on its shorter cruises.

We have found the food and accommodations and service to be good on both lines, but would give the edge in these areas to Celebrity.

Both lines post their activity schedules in a printed handout you receive each day.

Carnival bombards passengers with repeated announcements over the PA system throughout the day reminding you when activities are starting and urging you to participate, like counselors at a children's summer camp.

Some find it annoying, while others like the reminders.

Celebrity only has one announcement each day at noon, and you are left in peace the rest of the time to attend activities or skip them, as you wish. They treat their passengers as mature adults who know how to read and are capable of making their own decisions.

The difference in their smoking policies can be the deciding factor for many people. Celebrity bans smoking in all indoor areas and on balconies.

So Carnival tends to attract those who smoke while Celebrity attracts non-smokers.

If you are looking for the company of other passengers in your own age group, you will find more of them on Carnival than on Celebrity.

I agree with the others about not trying to fly in the day of departure because there are too many things that can go wrong. Besides, Old San Juan is an attractive and interesting port to visit, a great place to spend some time before a cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise, whichever way you decide.

The ambiance on Celebrity cruises is more laid back, somewhat more upscale and subdued than Carnival. They offer enrichment presentations about a variety of subjects. Celebrity ships do not have the hairy chest contest. ;)

Carnival has a more lively, high energy vibe and a reputation for drawing more of a party crowd, especially on its shorter cruises.

It has been a long time since we have been on Celebrity, but I would say the same. Celebrity being our first cruise, I was very impressed. Looking at your age, I think either one would work for you. I have not seen Carnival as being a party ship, but than again we don't stay up late, but do enjoy a dance and drink or two.

I would highly recommend going into San Juan a day or two early if you can. It takes away the stress of making flights, plus there is so much to see.

Fleckle made excellent points in comparing both lines. To be honest, Carnival is more lively, especially in the evening, than Celebrity. If cruising when school is in session, the average age on Celebrity will be above 60, and the nightlife can be a bit slow, and ends early. And if you like the casual atmosphere on Carnival, you won't find that on Celebrity. Passengers tend to follow the formal dress code on Celebrity with most men wearing dark suits or at the least, dress slacks, jackets and ties on the two formal nights.

Thanks for all the help! We will be sailing the week after Spring Break so school will still be in session. I would expect a definite older crowd on Celebrity then. Also, we do plan on arriving at San Juan two to three days early and I am sure I will have many, many questions then about where to stay and what to do! Right now, I am just torn on which cruise line. I know that each cruise is what you make of it so I am sure we will have a fabulous time, no matter what! Thanks again for your replies!

DH and I did the Southern Caribbean on the Celebrity Constellation for our 20th anniversary 7 years ago. We did fly in the day of the cruise and had no problems. We were in our early 40s and felt right at home as far as the mix of age groups. That cruise has been by far our best cruise so far. We had a terrific bunch of people at our table each night for dinner - late seating. Every night they had to kick us out of the MDR because we were just having so much fun! From there we usually went over to watch/listen to the karaoke! Couple of nights we hit the disco. Most nights we didn't get to bed until at least 1am. That made it really hard to get up in the mornings for early excursions!

Our cruise 2 years ago, we did the Southern Caribbean again, but had our kids with us. We flew in early to San Juan and stayed an extra day. I will fly in early for all our cruises from now on! It wasn't that we had plane trouble or anything, it was just so relaxing to be able to tour around Old San Juan with the kids and then sleep in a little before heading over to the pier to board the ship. We were amongst the first passengers on the ship and it gave us even more time to explore. Staying the extra day after the cruise was great too - we got to see things we missed before the cruise. Plus when we got to the airport on Monday, there were no lines at the agricultural inspection and the lines at security were minimal.

If you sail with Celebrity, make sure you tell them that you are celebrating your anniversary. They brought us a cake one night in the MDR. We ate in the specialty restaurant on our actual anniversary date and they brought us a little something extra with our desserts. We had splurged and gotten a suite and our butler was wonderful! The whole cruise made for one very memorable anniversary!

Ok, I think the decision has been made and we are going with the Celebrity Summit! Just talked to their agent but haven't put down the deposit yet. Just trying to decide between an inside or verandah stateroom. Not sure if we should spend the extra $500 on a stateroom or on excursions/drink package. With such a port intensive itinerary, I am thinking excursions :rolleyes:!!!

Thoughts?

Sorry can't help you on that one! I've been spoiled by a balcony cabin since our first cruise so I'd go with the verandah. But I would also spend money on good excursions (check out the ports of call boards to get names of independent vendors and save some money there) and get the beverage package! Can you see why we don't cruise as often? I'm a little "high maintenance" when it comes to my vacations!:D:o

Sorry can't help you on that one! I've been spoiled by a balcony cabin since our first cruise so I'd go with the verandah. But I would also spend money on good excursions (check out the ports of call boards to get names of independent vendors and save some money there) and get the beverage package! Can you see why we don't cruise as often? I'm a little "high maintenance" when it comes to my vacations!:D:o

If that is "high maintenance", then count us in. :D We also prefer to go on fewer cruises so we can afford make each cruise as spectacular as possible.

We have been on both (although I have not updated my signature) we are in our mid 50's but it seems to me that you can find a bit of every age group on most of the mainstream cruise lines. as well as places on the ships that are quiet and places to party.

I like both X and CCL although I think CCL has better entertainment generally. I say pick the itinerary that you like best. Personally, if I have an option I like my day at sea to be the first day so we can get over our jet lag as we come from the PNW.

The thing I do like about X are the concierge class cabins which you might treat yourself to since it's a special vacation. We love the perks. And if you can book on the Caribe Deck the balconies are larger.

Donna

Glad you made a decision about the cruise line. With a port intensive cruise a balcony isn't as important as it can be on other trips.

We usually pick by price. Then pick a catagory by value. To us gty obstructed view port hole is the best value b/c we don't like the dark inside cabins. We've gotten upgraded & we have gotten to see the side of the lifeboats. :o

Enjoy, whatever you chose.

We have found the food and accommodations and service to be good on both lines, but would give the edge in these areas to Celebrity.

Both lines post their activity schedules in a printed handout you receive each day.

Carnival bombards passengers with repeated announcements over the PA system throughout the day reminding you when activities are starting and urging you to participate, like counselors at a children's summer camp.

Some find it annoying, while others like the reminders.

Celebrity only has one announcement each day at noon, and you are left in peace the rest of the time to attend activities or skip them, as you wish. They treat their passengers as mature adults who know how to read and are capable of making their own decisions.

The difference in their smoking policies can be the deciding factor for many people. Celebrity bans smoking in all indoor areas and on balconies.

So Carnival tends to attract those who smoke while Celebrity attracts non-smokers.

If you are looking for the company of other passengers in your own age group, you will find more of them on Carnival than on Celebrity.

I agree with the others about not trying to fly in the day of departure because there are too many things that can go wrong. Besides, Old San Juan is an attractive and interesting port to visit, a great place to spend some time before a cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise, whichever way you decide.

I agree....

Archived