New to Celebrity (Eclipse) and Lots of Questions

iankh

We are veteran cruisers with Disney and have been on Dinsey cruises of varyiing lengths ranging from 4 to 14 nights, everyone in an inside cabin.

We leaning heavily towards a 14-night on the Celebrity Eclipse and have quite a few questions.

1. What are the inside cabins like? We've always actually preferred inside cabins, but what are they like on the Eclipse? How about the size of the bathrooms?

2. One of us has been in recovery for the past 10 years and are concerned about the level of alcohol and drinking. We would prefer to avoid a "party ship." How would you rate the Celebrity Eclipse? One of us does drink, we just are concerned about being trapped on a ship with lots of drunk people. Our concern stems from friends who recently sailed on another cruise line and complained about all the drunks on board, and opening their cabin door to find some guy using the wall next to their door as a toilet.

Their experice has natrually made us a tad wary.

3. How is Celebrity at accomodating vegetarians? Again, one of us is vegetarian. Honestly, even with Disney we've had spotty success with this, and after complaining on some cruises I think it's now become part of our "permanent record," so the past 3 cruises they've been very accomodating. How does Celebrity fare with such special needs?

It seems like we're difficult and boring, and we're anything but that. We love great food and fun. We're hoping that we Celebrity Eclipse can be an alternate to Disney for us.

We're thinking of "jumping ship" from a Christmas cruise we currently have booked. For not much more money we could get a 14-night on Celebrity instead of the 7-night we currently have booked on DCL. Also, my company closes down between Christmas and New Years, so for just a couple more vacation days, I can parlay a 7-night cruise into a 14-night one.

Any insight you can offer, would be most appreciated.

You won't be coming to a party ship, and there should not be too many kids on a 14 day cruise. There are AA meetings every day on board you can attend (look for Friends of Bill in the daily program or on a bulletin board near the Guest Relations desk). There are many, many posts about eating vegetarian and vegan on Celebrity and the general consensus is that it is pretty easily accomplished. Go for it.

Hi, as usual, Cruisestich has given you good advice:)

Inside cabins are (in my opinion) a good size...actually they are the

same size as a "regular balcony"...without the balcony of course.;)

About 180 square feet. Bathrooms all have shower doors, rather than

a curtain. I have never sailed Disney so I have no idea how big their

cabins or bathrooms are so cannot give a comparison.

As for being a party ship? No worries about that especially for a longer

cruise. Of course you may find the "over the top" person but really

that may happen on any line on any ship....but Celebrity is not known

as "party ships'.....some folks think they are too laid back actually...

(not me).:)

I don't believe they have a separate Vegetarian Menu but they are

quite accomodating.....if you click on the search feature and type

in the words "Vegetarian Options".....I think there will be some links

that pop up for you.

Have a great cruise:)

I did a search for you.......there are alot of links...here are a couple of them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1538976&highlight=vegetarian+options

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623986&highlight=vegetarian+options

Here is a pos from a sister Solstice class ship that should help. You should be able to eat wells on Celebrity. It is by far our favorite company. They will treat you well.

I had a great experience with vegan food on my recent Celebrity Solstice cruise; I'm hoping that will be true across the board for Celebrity, as my experience was so good that I'm planning to cruise her again again. I had plenty of options as a vegan, and as a vegetarian you'll have even more choices!

I posted my experience both on this board, and on the Celebrity board. Here's what I wrote on this board (at :http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1328436)

HTH!

"Vegan success on Celebrity I was on the Dec 18-26 sailing of Celebrity Solstice, and not only was there a separate vegan menu, but found the crew well informed about vegan dietary requirements, and eager to keep me well fed

At the time of my booking, I had my travel agent inform Celebrity that I was a vegan (you can do this on your own if not using a travel agent), and on the day of embarkation, I introduced myself to the maitre d'. He took out a vegetarian menu, and went over it with me, discussing which dishes I could eat as is, and which the chef could modify for me (and how he would do so). The dishes I chose would be my dinner that night, and he told me that each evening I would be shown the vegetarian menu for the next night, and place my order in advance. (Note: I don't eat sweets, so asked to be served melon and berries each night for dessert, however I was told that desserts would be prepared without honey.)

I switched tables, but it wasn't an issue, because the vegetarian menu was linked to my room number, not my seating assignment (during the cruise I met someone who was on a low sodium diet, and who had open seating, and he also had no issues).

To my surprise, on the third night, the fancy vegetarian menu was replaced with a printed sheet that was headed 'vegan menu'. It was actually more a vegetarian menu, but when I pointed that out to the maitre d', he told me that the chef would prepare any dish on it to match vegan requirements.

There were always 2 or 3 choices for each course, and all were delicious (except for one night, when the dish was so spicy (and I love spicy foods) that it burned my lips at the first bite, and I gave up after a few more bites! )

The lunch buffet also was a delight- the first day, I was spotted looking around with an empty plate, and was approached by a maitre d'. When I told him I was a vegan, he asked what type of food interested me, and I pointed out that the Indian section looked inviting (there was an 'Indian curry' station each day, with several selections). He placed a call to the chef in charge of that station, who happily pointed out the dishes that were prepared vegan (they were delicious!).

The next day at the buffet (and each day following), a maitre d' found me,

and patiently and pleasantly made sure I found plenty to eat. What a delight!

BTW- in addition to the hot foods, each day at the buffet there were both a salad station which contained a rotation selection of about 20 different cut vegetables, beans, and grains, and also a fruit station with a selection of cut melon as well as a huge bowl of fresh fruit salad, and also several whole fruits. There was also another area with dried fruit and nuts.

It was so nice to not only have no issue with food, but to have such delicious meals that I'm planning (and looking forward to) cruising Celebrity again and again.

Kudos, Celebrity!"

Ruth

Yup, I'm a 55 yr old vegan grandmother who meditates (almost) daily. :-)

Questions about visiting Israel? Check out this CC thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913621

We are veteran cruisers with Disney and have been on Dinsey cruises of varyiing lengths ranging from 4 to 14 nights, everyone in an inside cabin.

We leaning heavily towards a 14-night on the Celebrity Eclipse and have quite a few questions.

1. What are the inside cabins like? We've always actually preferred inside cabins, but what are they like on the Eclipse? How about the size of the bathrooms?

2. One of us has been in recovery for the past 10 years and are concerned about the level of alcohol and drinking. We would prefer to avoid a "party ship." How would you rate the Celebrity Eclipse? One of us does drink, we just are concerned about being trapped on a ship with lots of drunk people. Our concern stems from friends who recently sailed on another cruise line and complained about all the drunks on board, and opening their cabin door to find some guy using the wall next to their door as a toilet.

3. How is Celebrity at accomodating vegetarians? Again, one of us is vegetarian. Honestly, even with Disney we've had spotty success with this, and after complaining on some cruises I think it's now become part of our "permanent record," so the past 3 cruises they've been very accomodating. How does Celebrity fare with such special needs?

It seems like we're difficult and boring, and we're anything but that. We love great food and fun. We're hoping that we Celebrity Eclipse can be an alternate to Disney for us.

We're thinking of "jumping ship" from a Christmas cruise we currently have booked. For not much more money we could get a 14-night on Celebrity instead of the 7-night we currently have booked on DCL. Also, my company closes down between Christmas and New Years, so for just a couple more vacation days, I can parlay a 7-night cruise into a 14-night one.

1. I haven't experienced an Inside, but people who have appear satisifed. Some people who are light sleepers prefer them. Some are in excellent locations.

2. I am a non drinker. Just tell them and I'm never bothered. There is a Friends of Bill W. meeting every evening. While some people may experience a drinking problem onboard, that is by far the exception rather then the rule. Celebrity has often been accused of having an "older, quieter" crowd.

3. Vegetarian items are indicated on the menu. Celebrity is outstanding in meeting dietary needs. Just ask and you shall receive.

Enjoy your cruise.

We leaning heavily towards a 14-night on the Celebrity Eclipse and have quite a few questions. Eclipse is a beautiful ship. We sailed the E. Carib. this past January and loved it. This ship would be MUCH different than any Disney ship. I am sure Disney does a great job of "disney style family fun" but that is different than Celebrity's "Modern Luxury" concept.

1. What are the inside cabins like? We've always actually preferred inside cabins, but what are they like on the Eclipse? How about the size of the bathrooms? Both Celebrity and Disney would have the standard 184 square foot rooms. You can go to the X website under Eclipse and see pics and a diagram of an inside stateroom.

2. One of us has been in recovery for the past 10 years and are concerned about the level of alcohol and drinking. We would prefer to avoid a "party ship." How would you rate the Celebrity Eclipse? On a 14 night cruise the demographic is sometimes older, yet over the Christmas holidany the demographic is probably a good mix of some families, couples in their 30's, 40's, 50's 60's etc. While some cruise companies market themselves as "fun ships" or "party ships" Celebrity markets itself as being more sophisdicated. One of us does drink, we just are concerned about being trapped on a ship with lots of drunk people. Our concern stems from friends who recently sailed on another cruise line and complained about all the drunks on board, and opening their cabin door to find some guy using the wall next to their door as a toilet. Again some cruise companies market themselves as the "chucky cheese" or "hooters" of the cruise industry (and are very successful) Celebrity on the other hand IMO markets itself as more of an upscale dining, NY martini bar, wine and cheese type of cruise.

Their experice has natrually made us a tad wary. I think Celebrity will be a good choice for the both of you.

3. How is Celebrity at accomodating vegetarians? Again, one of us is vegetarian. Honestly, even with Disney we've had spotty success with this, and after complaining on some cruises I think it's now become part of our "permanent record," so the past 3 cruises they've been very accomodating. How does Celebrity fare with such special needs? A quick search on this website or internet of something like "celebrity eclipse main dining room menu" will give you a good idea. My wife is vegetarian and while we usually sain in an AQ stateroom and therefore eat in "healthy" specialty rest. BLU, we have also had good success in the MDR.

It seems like we're difficult and boring, and we're anything but that. We love great food and fun. We're hoping that we Celebrity Eclipse can be an alternate to Disney for us. Probably so, yet the cruise lines are very different. If you go on a Celebity ship and expect the "Disney experience" you might be disappointed.

We're thinking of "jumping ship" from a Christmas cruise we currently have booked. For not much more money we could get a 14-night on Celebrity instead of the 7-night we currently have booked on DCL. Also, my company closes down between Christmas and New Years, so for just a couple more vacation days, I can parlay a 7-night cruise into a 14-night one. good choice.

if you email us I would answer some of your questions with additions.

deultgen@gmail.com

We just got back, well, not back yet, still in england, from the eclipse TA. Our balcony room on Deck 9 was just across from some inside rooms. I peeked in several times as they were being cleaned amd they were, honestly, lovely. Looked just like ours but without the necessity of keeping one whole wall available for the sliding door, they looked even more spacious. All bathrooms on S class are very large with sliding doors in the shower, lots of storage, and very easy to use. I really can recommend this without reservation.

Also there will be no problem for the non-drinker. My DH does not drink for religious reasons and never had any issues at all. We met friends in the Martini Bar every night, he had a diet coke, and all was well. No abuses that we ever encountered.

Thank you! There are friends who are also travelling with us on the same DCL cruise and I think I've caused some trouble by threatening to "jump ship."

No other vegetarians in the group but they are now also seriously considering the same cruise and I think might be lurking here following this thread! ;)

The information has been really great and done much to allay our fears about a party ship.

One more question, and I feel sort of stupid asking this. I've read about "upselling." What is that? Having only been on DCL, I'm not really familar with the term. What does it refer to?

Thanks!

In my opinion "upselling" refers to trying to get you to pay extra for or with things that come free on a cruise.

An example might be booking a spa treatment, and after the treatment the spa employee might try to sell you many types of cream, oils, etc.

or a free "health and wellness" lecture on the ship where they might try to sell you a "detox plan" at the end of the lecture.

for some people, before they know it, they have purchased a $600 detox plan or a massage oil to end all oils.

One more question, and I feel sort of stupid asking this. I've read about "upselling." What is that? Having only been on DCL, I'm not really familar with the term. What does it refer to?

Thanks!

From time to time Celebrity runs a promotions where existing bookings can take advantage of a "price drop". The discounts can be quite significant, so instead of taking the price drop you can re-locate to a higher category of cabin for a small fee. Like on my cruise this year I could have gone from a balcony cabin to a Sky 1 suite for a fee. That would then be an "upsell"

Basically the idea is that the cruiseline wants to open up the lower category cabins, because these are easier to sell. So there is this shift in all tiers to go up a level.

Overall I took advantage of 3 price drops totalling $1580 US discount on the per cabin price. For my next cruise I was very lucky too, because fare was a bit lower for the cabin then this years cruise (same itinerary). This was on an early saver. So now I will keep my eye out in the next year to see if I can upsell to an Aqua cabin.

I like to add that if you are not going with children then it is most likely that Celebrity would be a good fit for you. Celebrity, Disney, HAL & Princess are considered the more upscale lines. They do not have luxury status, but deliver a very good product.

For me I would definitely take the 14 days over the 7 day cruise. Just think, it would be a new experience, new class of ship to explore and you might have two favorite cruiselines to choose from in future.:D

1. What are the inside cabins like? We've always actually preferred inside cabins, but what are they like on the Eclipse? How about the size of the bathrooms? Can't comment on Inside category but most cabins on the S class are larger than other comparible ships.

2. One of us has been in recovery for the past 10 years and are concerned about the level of alcohol and drinking. We would prefer to avoid a "party ship." How would you rate the Celebrity Eclipse? One of us does drink, we just are concerned about being trapped on a ship with lots of drunk people. Our concern stems from friends who recently sailed on another cruise line and complained about all the drunks on board, and opening their cabin door to find some guy using the wall next to their door as a toilet. Celebrity is not a Party cruise line at all. It is what you make of it but definetly more refined. It may be a great choice for you. All are treated as adults. Service staff is there to serve not entertain. There are several lounges but no one is ever forced to buy a beverage. Think soft sell.

3. How is Celebrity at accomodating vegetarians? Again, one of us is vegetarian. Honestly, even with Disney we've had spotty success with this, and after complaining on some cruises I think it's now become part of our "permanent record," so the past 3 cruises they've been very accomodating. How does Celebrity fare with such special needs? Inform Celebrity with your dining requirements. They were great for my grandchildren who had food allergies and went overboard to make sure they were taken care of in the food department. The maitre de will bring the following evenings menu to the table the night before once he knows of your "needs".

Go for it. You will get a lot of "bang for your buck" on a 14 night cruise.

Maybe you can sail with us on the Eclipse!

OK, I PROMISE this is the last question.

I I've convinced "the gang" I'm booked on DCL with to "jump ship" to the Celebrity Eclipse.

I (we) have a question about anytime dining. Do have to book that now, or can we wait until later, closer in to the cruise?

Thanks!

Either way -- you can pre-book times, or wait until you get on board, or even just show up (be prepared for a short wait but nothing excessive). If you choose Select Dining, as part of your booking and your final payment, you will be pre-paying your gratuity/tips/service charges for the cruise.

In my opinion "upselling" refers to trying to get you to pay extra for or with things that come free on a cruise.

An example might be booking a spa treatment, and after the treatment the spa employee might try to sell you many types of cream, oils, etc.

or a free "health and wellness" lecture on the ship where they might try to sell you a "detox plan" at the end of the lecture.

for some people, before they know it, they have purchased a $600 detox plan or a massage oil to end all oils.

Upselling is a word used on other boards on cruise critic. It basically means paid upgrades.

Anytime dining can be popular and if left late, you might have to go on a waiting list. But you will have to pre-pay gratuity.

If you book Aqua class then you are allowed to dine at the Blu restaurant (highly recommended) which is anytime by default, no need to place reservation.

You won't be coming to a party ship, and there should not be too many kids on a 14 day cruise. There are AA meetings every day on board you can attend (look for Friends of Bill in the daily program or on a bulletin board near the Guest Relations desk). There are many, many posts about eating vegetarian and vegan on Celebrity and the general consensus is that it is pretty easily accomplished. Go for it.

Bullseye, that about says it all!! You won't be sorry, its a fantastic ship and great crew.

Hi,

If you prefer to eat when you choose than go for select,

if that is your preference ask at the time of booking.

You can always choose to go to traditional dining but sometimes

there is a wait list for Select /Anytime dining.

What a great thread, so much great information.

Well done CCers.

."

No other vegetarians in the group but they are now also seriously considering the same cruise and I think might be lurking here following this thread! ;)

....not lurking anymore I guess! Sis and I are even thinking of an oceanview, so I'm off to research best locations. (If anybody here has input on that feel free to say so).

Let the research commence!

~Jackie~

The dinner options for vegetarians is limited. I don't eat red meat, and it was challenging at times. They will generally offer one vegi option at each venue ,so if you don 't like it, well ...

The oceanview buffet has some good vegetarian options for lunch, especially Indian food.

dinner options for vegetarians is limited. I don't eat red meat, and it was challenging at times. They will generally offer one vegi option at each venue ,so if you don 't like it, well ...

The oceanview buffet has some good vegetarian options for lunch, especially Indian food.

At least they are not any worse than DCL. I'm sure there'll be a lot of challenge but at least there'll be some options.

What cabin type did you go with, Mister? ;) Did you follow the lead of the girls and do a verandah????

Yes, this will be our first cruise with daylight.

Archived