Best way to book in the eyes of the Upgrade Fairy

Not that I have EVER gotten an upgrade or expect to get one (but it's great to dream!) - I was wondering if anyone knows whether a person has a better chance of getting an upgrade if they book through an outside agency, RCCL Vacation Planner, RCCL on-line, or the Diamond Plus Desk?

I have never been upgraded on a Cruise, but I have been upgraded at other big vacation spots - Disney.

I always book a room I would be more than happy with so I am not disappointed when I don't get an upgrade. My upgrades have always occurred when my room would be more appealing (easier to sell) to a family. For example: We booked a bunk bed/ queen room. It is just us two as a couple so the bunkbeds would be a spot to throw stuff. We were upgraded to a king suite. There already had our money and a family isn't going to book a room with a king bed. So they moved us an I am assuming that they could sell the fmaily room easier and for less that what they would pay for the room we were upgraded too.

I am sure that RCCL knows what people are searching for on their website. If I had booked a room with a pull out that would sleep three and there were no 3 person rooms left. They would rather upgrade a couple to a nicer room that only sleeps two and try to sell our old room.

Just my thoughts.

Missy:D

The best way to book is with the mindset that you don't stand a chance of being upgraded. Chances are you won't be but you also won't be disappointed when you're not...:eek:

No such thing as an upgrade fairy. Fairy's give you things for free, like free money when you lose a tooth. They don't give you a nicer stateroom for free, but offer you the opportunity to pay for your upgrade, which, means it is not an upgrade, because you could have purchased it in the first place if you wanted it.

No such thing as an upgrade fairy. Fairy's give you things for free, like free money when you lose a tooth. They don't give you a nicer stateroom for free, but offer you the opportunity to pay for your upgrade, which, means it is not an upgrade, because you could have purchased it in the first place if you wanted it.

Not true. There are plenty of accounts of FREE upgrades and that is exactly what the Upgrade Fairy on these boards refers to, a free upgrade. Our cruise buds were upgraded from a D1 to a grand suite on Allure, no charge!

This April we were given an upgrade from JS to Grand Suite and it didn't cost anything extra. So the upgrade fairy lives.

Sorry but we've also had a free upgrade on our 4th cruise. Hasn't happened since but the fairy does exist.

Always a better chance of being upgraded on the second class ships. Oasis and Allure often sell most of the high end rooms suites.

You have been around since 2006..........and your quote is that you have a better chance of being upgraded on the second class ships.

Quick question..........what is a second class ship???:confused::rolleyes::D

Patiently awaiting your answer!!;)

Rick

Always a better chance of being upgraded on the second class ships. Oasis and Allure often sell most of the high end rooms suites.

This does not make sense since most reports of free upgrades lately have been on Oasis and Allure to Suites. I suppose those of us that don't sail on O and A are second class as well. :confused::mad::rolleyes:

Thank you for all the replies! I love the rooms we booked (D8 for 2 and D4 for 3) on Deck 8 for an unexpected last minute cruise that sails in 65 days. I am just wondering if the likelihood of an upgrade is higher booking one way or another. Also wondering if cruise fare paid affects the chance of an upgrade (ie: a person taking advantage of a resident or senior discount being less likely of receiving an upgrade compared to a full fare passenger). The Diamond Plus Desk did tell me I could upgrade to the Royal Family Suite for $10,000 plus over the cruise fare already paid! LOL!

I don't know if this relates, but we have been upgraded for the following reasons:

1) We booked a guarantee, and was provided with a higher category than we paid for at the time of assignment.

2) First time cruisers on two different lines - upgrades both times; presumably to encourage us as newbies.

That's it.

We have not been upgraded after our room number has been allocated.

I would be interested to know if this happens, because then we can live in hope.

Archived