Elite Frustration

CathyCruises

I appreciate the range of comments (and apologize for all the typos in my original post; that's what I get for typing in the dark).

I am not ungrateful; I enjoyed the other Elite perks like the laundry and dry cleaning coupons. I just wasn't able to make something I was looking forward to work for ME. It may work great for the rest of you. As I mentioned, I went to the Martini Bar and bought my own drinks, so that is not an issue--I am not a cheapskate. And "going to dinner" is not an option when you have been assigned to late seating and anytime dining is full.

1) I was uncomfortable going to the 'cocktail party' in my daywear, when so many others were dressed for dinner.

2) We normally do not go to the shows. I guess on nights when the show was at 7, we could have done that, but we have been on 14 night cruises when we never go to one show.

3) On our TA, there were about 800 Elites. The Captain's Cocktail Party was split into either two or three separate events on different days. The 'super elites' were directed to go to Michael's Club every night instead of the Sky Lounge to ease congestion. So on some cruises at least there is a problem with overcrowding.

I am not egotistical enough to think that anything is going to change because of my experience--I am merely opening up a discussion about possibilities for a more effective way to TRY to please everybody!

It seems that there COULD be two events; one from 5-6 for early diners, and one from 7:30 to 8:30 for late diners. No additional alcohol would be served; fewer servers could be used; select diners could opt for one or the other, but not both. And especially now on M class ships, where part of the Sky Lounge is being converted to cabins, crowding will be an issue and this could help solve it.

It's just a thought, guys, no need to jump all over me, and God forbid something that YOU like might get changed in favor of something that works for more people. After all, at least 1/3 of the Elites must be late diners, assuming that 1/3 are Select. I also very much doubt that a discussion on Cruise Critic will result in them eliminating the cocktail hour--come on!!!!

And my final point--if it is 5:30 to 8:30 on RCCL, why COULDN'T it be that way on =X=?

I am taking my first X sailing in a few weeks, 14 nights on the Eclipse and look forward to enjoying the evening cocktails (thanks to RC Diamond status). I have booked the Select Dining and have already made my dinner reservations for 7:00 to 7:30 each evening. The Elite hours will be perfect for me! :)

I am taking my first X sailing in a few weeks, 14 nights on the Eclipse and look forward to enjoying the evening cocktails (thanks to RC Diamond status). I have booked the Select Dining and have already made my dinner reservations for 7:00 to 7:30 each evening. The Elite hours will be perfect for me! :)

My point EXACTLY!! It works perfectly for you!!! It works perfectly for a lot of people. But it also DOESN'T work for a lot of people!!

Hi Everyone,

I agree with the above comments. I wish to make it clear, the following is not directed at the OP, and is a general observation.

It's become apparent that no matter how Celebrity handles this, there will be some Guests who aren't happy with the schedule. I highly doubt Celebrity will add hours (prohibitively expensive) or move to a later schedule (not ideal for Early Dining & entertainment issues). Originally, the lounge hours were 4-6pm, and the late seating guests complained. Celebrity listened, and the time was changed to 5-7pm. IMO, this is the most equitable solution.

With all due respect, this is a wonderful benefit, and this is not the time to complain about the schedule, or ask for expanded hours. Take a look at the world financial markets over the past few weeks. Everything is once again in a tailspin, and many companies are making cutbacks. The lounge benefit must be costing Celebrity a huge amount of $$$. By complaining or asking for more.... IMO, it's practically begging Celebrity to reduce or eliminate the lounge.

My feeling ? I'm going with those who said, be grateful & happy for what we have, enjoy it, and leave well enough alone.

Sorry but I disagree (assume that is allowed ;) ) - what is the point of a benefit that only a percentage can use prior to dinner? It might as well not be there.

It should be 5 until 8.30.

This has nothing to do with world financial markets - I can guarantee that the profits made by RCI would not be affected by an extra hour or so each evening. After all the amount of alchohol consumed woud not double would it as people would simply come in later.

Hi Everyone,

I agree with the above comments. I wish to make it clear, the following is not directed at the OP, and is a general observation.

It's become apparent that no matter how Celebrity handles this, there will be some Guests who aren't happy with the schedule. I highly doubt Celebrity will add hours (prohibitively expensive) or move to a later schedule (not ideal for Early Dining & entertainment issues). Originally, the lounge hours were 4-6pm, and the late seating guests complained. Celebrity listened, and the time was changed to 5-7pm. IMO, this is the most equitable solution.

With all due respect, this is a wonderful benefit, and this is not the time to complain about the schedule, or ask for expanded hours. Take a look at the world financial markets over the past few weeks. Everything is once again in a tailspin, and many companies are making cutbacks. The lounge benefit must be costing Celebrity a huge amount of $$$. By complaining or asking for more.... IMO, it's practically begging Celebrity to reduce or eliminate the lounge.

My feeling ? I'm going with those who said, be grateful & happy for what we have, enjoy it, and leave well enough alone.

Andy, when the time was 4-6 my DH and were not thrilled because we were late diners, but we went and tried to make the best of it. When they changed it to the later hours we were stunned because then it does cut off the early seating. Do we like it better 5-7 yes, but I can see why Celebrity had it 4-6, that way everyone could go because it's before everyone's dinner time. Not sure why they caved it to moving it later, but in any event, people have been complaining about the times since they instituted the program.

Am I reading this suggestion right?

"It seems that there COULD be two events; one from 5-6 for early diners, and one from 7:30 to 8:30 for late diners."

So, from a two hour event for anyone who wishes to partake of it, you think it would be better to have a one hour event? Really? I don't think you'll get many here who would agree with that idea, except the bean counters at Celebrity.

There is no "perfect" time for everyone, but 5-7 works. With the ease of becoming Elite on Celebrity, I'm surprised they haven't done away with the free drinks altogether. Most shows for late diners are at 7 making it convenient for them to have drinks before the show and early seating have the hour just before dinner. If late diners are concerned about getting enough drinks they can go from 5-7 and then get ready for dinner. It's not meant to be a drink-a-thon, just a place to meet your fellow cruisers and receive a small thank you for regularly sailing with Celebrity.

It's been a couple of years since we were on RCCL, but as I recall, for those less than Diamond Plus (or whatever it is called), there was free wine and a discount on drinks (maybe 25%). The wine was OK, and there were a few who went to the lounge, then supper, then back for nightcap.

And yes, the Eclipse (and other ships) on TA have a lot of Elites. And yes, it does get crowded. But crowded is better than none! And we've been on other cruises where there were relatively few Elites.

I'm with Andy.

We enjoy and appreciate Celebrity's Elite Cocktail Hour. The hours for us are perfect. We choose Select Dining. We'll have a Martini (or 2) and then have dinner around 7:15.

We like Holland America also, but continue to cruise with Celebrity because of the wonderful Elite perks.

Does someone have a copy of the menu. What type of martinis are they serving more recently?

Also, for those who do not drink, what is there besides cola?

Sorry but I disagree (assume that is allowed ;) ) - what is the point of a benefit that only a percentage can use prior to dinner? It might as well not be there.

This has nothing to do with world financial markets - I can guarantee that the profits made by RCI would not be affected by an extra hour or so each evening. After all the amount of alchohol consumed woud not double would it as people would simply come in later.

I'm reminded of a story:

A honeymoon couple spent a wonderful week at a fine resort. They choose to spend their entire honeymoon in their room. When they received their bill they found additional charges for pool and spa. The husband called the front desk to question the charges. He was told that the resort charged a fee for the pool and spa facilities whether one used them or not. Not accepting that the husband demanded to see the Manager. The manager responded that the charge is standard and the facilities were available, the couple just decided they couldn't or wouldn't use them. Upon arriving home the husband sent a bill to the hotel manager for his wife's "personal services". Naturally the manager refused to pay. The husband threatened legal action claiming the manager was responsible for the bill since his "wife was available" and it was the manager who decided that he wouldn't or couldn't use the service.

A benefit is a benefit, not an entitlement.

By they way: How much does it cost per hour for the Elite Hour benefit? How can one "guarantee that profits won't be affected? Are they offering to underwrite the cost? Just asking.

We found Select Dining to be the best choice for us. We go to the Elite lounge around 6:30 and have a drink or two and then go to the dining room around 7:30 or 8:00. Originally we had reservations for 8 but if we came earlier they always seated us with 5 minutes or so.

What we would like to see is the end of the designated lounge in exchange for some elite coupons that can be used in any lounge in the time frame that suits most people. Prior to the implementation of this program we used to gather with friends in the Rendezvous and sip a glass or two while we danced and listened to live music.

On our most recent cruise early dining started at 5:45. If you wanted any drink, one had to line up outside the doors, find a seat and a waiter who was not loaded down with warm bubbly and could fetch a cold drink or a choice of drinks from the menu.

Many people did not get a drink till 5:15 and many started to head for the dining room at 5:40 before the snacks arrived.

Many of the servers have to leave at 6 for duty in the dining room and a chance for dinner before they are needed in the theater. The present situation has drawbacks no matter which fixed dinner time is picked.

Imagine a perk in which you could gather with friends for a free drink at the time and place of your own choosing.

We were on Solstice, right after X first implemented the Elite Cocktail hour. Back then, it was 4-6 pm, and with second seating, we never went to it -- just way too early for us. :(

I liked the new times (5-7) much better, when we were on Century. Yes, it did mean dressing for dinner a little earlier -- but after the Elite lounge closed, we often went to the show, before dinner. Timing for second seating works great, if you just plan for something to do in that 90 minutes between the Elite Lounge and second seating! :cool:

Yes, imagine not being able to get a seat at your favorite bar because it's crowded with people trying to get their "free" drink. I think you'd be surprised at how many would show up for a free drink who wouldn't pay for one. At least let's keep the zoo confined to one area.:eek:

with all due respect, this is a wonderful benefit, and this is not the time to complain about the schedule, or ask for expanded hours. Take a look at the world financial markets over the past few weeks. Everything is once again in a tailspin, and many companies are making cutbacks. The lounge benefit must be costing celebrity a huge amount of $$$. By complaining or asking for more.... Imo, it's practically begging celebrity to reduce or eliminate the lounge.

amen!

Yes, imagine not being able to get a seat at your favorite bar because it's crowded with people trying to get their "free" drink. I think you'd be surprised at how many would show up for a free drink who wouldn't pay for one. At least let's keep the zoo confined to one area.:eek:

Ma Bell, you are always right on the money.

Hi LeeGrant,

Of course we can agree to disagree. A healthy and active discussion is welcome. As long as everyone can remain calm, it's all good :). Not sure why you feel that "only a percentage can use prior to Dinner". With 5-7pm, most everyone has a chance to visit the lounge.

I stand firm on my comment of expanding the lounge hours, would cost Celebrity a fortune. Perhaps not double, but even if it were 10-20% more (and it's probably a larger #), we are talking big bucks. Why should Celebrity spend more ? I've been to the lounge dozens of times. Many stay as long as possible, and drink non-stop. Not only does this cost X $$$, but it's also lost revenue at the Bars. Not good from a business standpoint. Celebrity gets away cheap with me, as I'm a Diet Coke drinker LOL. I visit the lounge to meet family & friends, and talk about Cruising. As most are aware - it's my passion.

With expanded hours, the traffic flow MIGHT improve, but I wouldn't count on it. While some guests may arrive later, they will be hard pressed to find a seat. Curently, many guests are arriving well before the doors open. If you show up at 5:30 or 6 ? Try finding a seat. Good Luck. That's been my observation on recent sailings. As Nereus wisely mentioned, what will happen *IF* the lounge capacity is reduced on all S-Class ships by 20 or 30% ? Also, how about when Celebrity has countless more Elites added to the ranks ? It's not a pretty picture.

As mentioned earlier, an expanded time would create a myriad of problems for the crew and entertainers. At the end of the day, that translates to problems for guests. A final scenario : What about late seating guests who choose to remain in the lounge beyond 7pm, then opt for the late show in the theater ? Where would everyone sit ? This has the potential to be a huge mess.

For many reasons, I cant see expanded lounge hours happening anytime soon.

Does someone have a copy of the menu. What type of martinis are they serving more recently?

Also, for those who do not drink, what is there besides cola?

Is their non-alcoholic beer? I have to say that this is a wonderful perk and if a person wants to go, they can work it around their schedule. The elite benefits are excellent.

You are assuming people go the show - we do not - should we be expected to try and find something to do for 90 minutes just to save a few dollars?

Your argument does not suit everbody - we are not here to save RCI money, we have paid top dollar for the cruise and therefore have a right to benefit where we can. ;) And of course people will agree with you because your name is in red ;) so the argument is lost....

bowing out....

Kindly disagree about paying top dollar. Celebrity is a fantastic bargain. We just came back from Silversea (one and only time) paid $20,000 for a 9 day cruise in a standard cabin, and we are coming back to Celebrity where you get a friendly staff, good food, and some free drinks..........and a reasonable price.

You are assuming people go the show - we do not - should we be expected to try and find something to do for 90 minutes just to save a few dollars?

Your argument does not suit everbody - we are not here to save RCI money, we have paid top dollar for the cruise and therefore have a right to benefit where we can. ;) And of course people will agree with you because your name is in red ;) so the argument is lost....

bowing out....

Your last statement is totally out of bounds and uncalled for. Host Andy has the highest credibility on the board. I believe your comments should be deleted and if they are it's due to me, not Andy. Bye the way, I've never met him, but would look forward to it.

I LOVE Celebrity and being an Elite with all the wonderful perks. We enjoy the social time and free drinks with other similar cruisers and appreciate the laundry - computer time - dry cleaning - all the other nice things they do for us (and do not have to). I am always kind of surprised by people who complain about these nice additions to our cruise.

Karen

As we are Early seating we were impacted by the change in hours from 4-6. The lounge seemed much more evenly attended then - It didn't seem to be used like a replacement for the Martini Bar for pre dinner drinks but more like a relaxing place where you could go and chat and have a couple of drinks while meeting other cruisers - to my way of thinking was Celebrity's original intention in introducing this perk. Early diners sometimes dressed for dinner first but we would change after. Late people would come in and have their options planned for later, shows etc. Now the first hour is bedlam (5-6) and we find the atmosphere has changed - we often peek in and then leave for another location where there is not so many overworked wait staff. We very much appreciate the Elite perks that Celebrity has provided (especially breakfast:D) but probably will not be attending too many evening in the lounge.

We love the hours for the elite party. We get dressed for dinner and go to the party at 5. We then go to the show at 7. The show usually ends about 7:45 so we go to the Rendevous Lounge, listen to the entertainment and maybe dance a few dances. It is then time for late seating dinner. Some evenings we lingered at the party. The servers usually say last call so we order a drink that will last till about 7:30. It used to be 4-6 and there were so many complaints they changed it to 5-7 which I think is perfect.

Your last statement is totally out of bounds and uncalled for. Host Andy has the highest credibility on the board. I believe your comments should be deleted and if they are it's due to me, not Andy. Bye the way, I've never met him, but would look forward to it.

I totally agree. Few have such a well balanced point of view and I have had the pleasure of sailing with him several times.

Archived