Is the Carnival Liberty that bad?

sail2day

I have read numerous recent member reviews concerning the Carnival Liberty and I am concerned about my upcoming cruise on July 14th. Most of the review are very negative concerning service and the quality of the food in the MDR.

Are there any members who have recently cruised on board the Liberty with different opinions?

There have been tons of positive threads, why do people concentrate on the few negative threads and ignore all the rest?

All ships have both their fans and critics and some people have issues that have nothing to do with the ship that turns them off.

You are not going to find any ship that only has positive reviews .. I know I have read lots of people lately who loved 2.0.

We've sailed on the Liberty twice and have loved it both times...granted it's been a while, but we had no complaints. We almost didn't book our Hawaii cruise because all the reviews of that ship were bad, but we took a chance and didn't have any of the problems others talked. It turned out to be the best cruise we've taken and we didn't experience any of the things we read about in those negative reviews.

Just got of the Liberty a week ago..... (B2B cruises... so we were on there for 14 days!...hahaha).... and absolutely loved the Liberty!.... In fact, out of all the Carnival ships we've been on, I would say it was the best ship we've been on! The 2.0 Upgrades are GREAT!.... Really made it fun to hang out on Lido......

I have read numerous recent member reviews concerning the Carnival Liberty and I am concerned about my upcoming cruise on July 14th. Most of the review are very negative concerning service and the quality of the food in the MDR.

Are there any members who have recently cruised on board the Liberty with different opinions?

we were also on Liberty a few times and never had a complaint

You make your vacation what it is!!!

I've noticed a lot of people on this board attack what each other says and complain a lot. Of course I want great service, etc. but sometimes you have to let the little things go. Like the other person said, your vacation is what you make it.

You will have a great time. I will be on the Liberty the first time this August. I'm sure it will be great as well.

That bad??? hell, I loved my time on the Liberty and it's my favorite of the Carnival ships I've sailed (with the Triumph just behind). Enjoyed my time on her so much I'm booked back on her again next year. Our waiter was the BEST I've ever had in 8 cruises and our room steward was superb (one of those ninja stewards)! All this was even before the 2.0 upgrades! You'll love it!!

You make your vacation what it is!!!

Thats exactly it!

We cruised on the Dream the year it came out, there were so many mixed reviews about it.. Some good some bad, we went in with an open mind, and had a fabulous time!..If you look for the negative you will find it. Have a great time and let yourself be the jugde!

I can tell you without a doubt that the Liberty is by far, the best CCL ship as far as decor.

The venetian glass chandeliers are beautiful. I have not sailed her in a number of years, and since the 2.0 upgrades; but I cannot imagine her being as bad as some of the reviews say. It's your vacay - make it the best vacation ever, regardless of what everyone else says!

sail2day,

We've sailed Liberty five times; she's our favorite ship. We had slow service for two nights in the MDR with Your Time Dining. Our boys ate there every night though so it's safe to say there were no issues with the food.

If you are real concerned, I'd be more than happy to pay the name change fee and cruise her for you; I'll give you a full report immediately upon returning. :D

I'll get ready for the attack. I'm not a Liberty lover. For some reason, couldn't take a liking to it. I thought the decor was gaudy, a lot of plastic that resembled wrought iron. The food venues were extensive but what a walk to get to them. As for 2.0, other than additions on Lido, the attractions were the same as other newer ships. I didn't like Lido stadium seating, all those rails were detracting and got tired of walking up and down the landings.

So, for all those Liberty lovers, so be it. It just was not a fit for me. I bet there are others who feel the same, but know they'll get flamed for going against the Liberty lovers (who find there are ships THEY are not fond of either).

I agree, a cruise is what you make it. I just couldn't warm up to this ship.

We had no problems with the food on Liberty. Some of the staff weren't friendly and the cruise director wasn't funny. Our main complaint were our fellow passengers. Your life was in danger if you stood between them and the buffet. One woman whose plate was filled with bacon and sausage rushed past me shouting "I gots to have my omelet!"

Honestly,

I take the reviews that people post here with pictures attached much more seriously. I mean, not saying that those people are making things up or anything, but I tend to see people who have complaints make their voices heard more so than people who say their vacation was great. I wouldn't worry about it.

Plus, if your food in the MDR is not hot or cold to your liking, send it back!

I long ago stopped putting much credence in reviews written by others. I prefer to live my own life and form my own opinions.

It has been three years since I was on the Liberty, but loved that ship and cruise so much, I booked it for a cruise later this year. Unfortuneately due to family illness, I had to cancel that cruise, but the Liberty is my all time favorite ship of all that I have been on, and that includes one each very positive experience on NCL and Celebrity. Liberty is my favorite ship. As far as reviews go; I dont bother much with the ones posted in the review section, but prefer the ones here on the message board, that people post, with details and more often with photos. I have seen very few negative reviews here of the Liberty. Mostly I read that people really like it.:)

I was wondering the same thing. My husband and I just changed to this sailing last month and I have also been reading ALOT of bad reviews.

Interesting. Many of the reviews I have read, including my own experience, have been very positive. Nothing is perfect. A vacation is what you make of it :)

We'll be sailing on the Liberty again in December - and we are very much looking forward to it!

Happy cruising!

Have seen a lot of people rave about the Guy's Burgers, Achemy Bar and the Red Frog and Blue Iguana.

I will be on Glory in Nov to try 2.0 (just a 3 night special cruise) and I look forward to it frankly it gets boring to see the same old stuff and the some of the old stuff being cut back JMO

At least Liberty has new things. It was a beautiful ship before the remodel, I really enjoyed it.

Hope you have a great cruise

Thanks to all for the comments. I cruised the Liberty back in 2007 prior to the upgrades and had a fantastic experience. I was just concerned with the recent reviews post 2.0 upgrades. Since crews rotate between ships sometimes experiences can vary on the same ship based on when you cruise.

I am sure I will have a great time!

Love the Liberty - definitely the prettiest of Carnival's fleet! Have sailed her twice - mot recently in january with the 2.0 upgrades - check out my 'positive' review w/pics - see linke below near signature! :D:D

I was on Liberty last December and I'm thinking about taking that ship again in March of next year. Loved it, loved the Blue Iguana Cantina, great staff, completely enjoyed the MDR, and would recommend it to anyone. There were a few issues (this is true of any ship), but nothing that would make me think twice about booking another cruise on Liberty.

When you read the reviews, you have to cast a wary eye at the tone and tenor of the person writing it. Some reviews have legitimate gripes, some don't. Some writers, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO SCREAM IN ALL CAPS AND USE LOTS OF EXCLAMATION MARKS AND SPEAK IN HYPERBOLE AND SAY EVERYTHING WAS TERRIBLE!!!!! seem to be needing therapy.

Just got of the Liberty a week ago..... (B2B cruises... so we were on there for 14 days!...hahaha).... and absolutely loved the Liberty!.... In fact, out of all the Carnival ships we've been on, I would say it was the best ship we've been on! The 2.0 Upgrades are GREAT!.... Really made it fun to hang out on Lido......

Haven't heard from you or Richie since you all got back!! Hope you didn't kiss me too much on the 2nd part of the B2B when I had to get off the ship and you guys didn't LOL

Anyways, we were just on the Liberty and liked it also. It's a sister shop to the Valor and I do think the Valor seemed cleaner in the public areas. Something was wrong with the original CD so we were stuck with Cheerio Christian over the speakers for 7 days. Ughh lol. But, Guys Burgers were excellent and we did talk about cruising on her again just for those and HMC!!

The food on the MDR seemed dry all the time and the warm chocolate melting cake was either way too liquidy or cooked so well done it was like regular cake. All of the service was phenomenal though so I'd give them an A for that.

I think you will have a great time and love it all-in-all!!

Alchemy is RAVED about by everyone I talked to!! I don't drink martinis but it looks like so much fun and sounds like they taste so good I'll definitely go there next time!!

I was on the Liberty in February and as I stated in my review, the Guys burgers were great, worth cruising on the ship again just for those. But I also mentioned,the food in the dining room and the buffet was simply not up to the usual standards. If anybody says differently, they are simply delusional or haven't cruised for awhile.

The offerings are inferior and the food is served lukewarm at best. It takes a long time to get ones food, we were just getting entrees at times when others were getting dessert. I can't imagine sending some back as somebody suggested, who knows when you would leave the room.

I still had a fairly good cruise, though there were some issues not Carnival related.

Archived