WOW Sale Ridiculous For Loyalty Members

I am Diamond and called to book a cruise today, and was told I could not get the OBC if I received the Crown & Anchor Balcony Discount. That is ridiculous. I purchase future cruises every time I cruise and do not assign a particular cruise to the booking. I recently used my future cruise for an upcoming cruise. We always receive the OBC and the Balcony Discount. I don't see why they have that restriction with the WOW sale for your loyal cruisers. It is thousands of dollars of potential lost revenue for RCCL. It doesn't make sense to me.

Like Phoenixcruiser said, I think they are designed for new cruisers. They probably assume people who cruise constantly will book onboard.

I'd rather do an onboard booking anyways, you can change the date as many times as you want and use your discounts. It's a better deal IMO.

Yes it seems loyalty has gone by the wayside. Happens many places. Used to be the best discounts for Disney World were for Annual Pass holders and Florida residents. Now although some room discounts still exist for then most offers entail purchasing tickets so are geared towards those without a pass. Same thing. The company thinks the loyal customers will return thus offer to the remaining masses

The WOW sale event is there for new cruisers, or new to Royal Caribbean.

We have many choices as loyalty members, from booking onboard, getting Next Cruise numbers........that are good for years (I have had some since 2008 that I have not used........and they are still good).

Anyone with Royal Caribbean.....agents that is, will tell you that the WOW sale is to promote new cruisers, but anyone can be a part of it........however, you can get more just by stopping at the Loyalty Ambassadors desk on your next cruise.......and asking for a NC booking....total charge $100.00......total OBC....as we just discovered.....$200.00, and the $100.00 is applied toward your next booking.

Don't forget the balcony discount, that starts at Platinum.

So, truly, who is complaining?????:D

Rick

So you're complaining because you get a better deal as a Diamond member than someone who purchases their cruise through the WOW Sale?:confused:

Who is complaining, and what is your point?:) I have simply stated facts!:D

Rick

It's not lost revenue if you are going to book anyway (or already have an open booking).

I totally agree.

You can't complain and then go ahead and book.

You need to cancel and let them know why.

Then send a letter to Adam Goldberg and tell him..

It's not lost revenue if you are going to book anyway (or already have an open booking).

I never reserved the 2nd cruise. I used my future cruise booking last month for an August cruise, and I called today, spurt of the moment to book the Explorer out of NJ in October, since I received at least 2 e-mails from RCCL reminding me about their upcoming WOW event. I never booked the Explorer for October. As of now, I am not planning on doing so. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road, but if I do not, RCCL will lose my potential booking for 2 people.

That is why when you call to get info on a future cruise, no matter how many times you have cruised prior, they try very hard to get you to leave a deposit. They know that if you don't, the probability decreases that you will call back and book at a later time. That is what happened to me today....

I am fortunate to have been cruising an average of 4 times per year the last 5 years. This morning, the price was reasonable, I wouldn't have to fly, so I decided, spurt of the moment, to reserve an additional cruise for the year. After learning I wouldn't get the extra $100, I didn't do it. A few hours after, I contemplated calling back and doing it anyway, but I said to myself, forget it, I am cruising 4 other times this year anyway. So, in summation, they didn't get my $1300 bucks for 2 people.

Like Phoenixcruiser said, I think they are designed for new cruisers. They probably assume people who cruise constantly will book onboard.

I'd rather do an onboard booking anyways, you can change the date as many times as you want and use your discounts. It's a better deal IMO.

You are right, but I used my open onboard booking last month for an August cruise that I reserved.

I woild have to agree that the WOW sales are to attract new customers.

I was in contact with our TA yesterday to price a cruise for next year. The discounts I receive as a loyalty member as well as that of which my TA can assign to me, far exceeded the WOW sale cost even with OBC. As far as reduced deposit, well that does not concern me, pay now or pay later, you still pay.

BTW, this is even without a next cruise voucher, as I forgot to get one on our last sailing.

We are avid cruisers. We took our first RC on the Oasis. Signed up as C&A members. We are booking the Allure today for a good deal of OBC from our TA and the 100 from RC. Better deal then I can get with certificates. Of course we have not sailed RC enough for the better perks. This works for us. :)

Question--trying to book a cruise with a RCI Rep on the phone and they're telling me I can only use the WOW sale by booking online. I just want to take advantage of the reduced deposit, that's all. Never heard of this rule before...has anyone else?

It's listed in the Fine Print.........

"The 50% reduced deposit and onboard credit offer is applicable to on-line bookings; however, the on-line booking confirmation will not reflect this reduced deposit or onboard credit. Subject to availability. Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy and in US dollars. Certain restrictions may apply. Government taxes and fees are additional. Offer may be withdrawn at any time".

Question--trying to book a cruise with a RCI Rep on the phone and they're telling me I can only use the WOW sale by booking online. I just want to take advantage of the reduced deposit, that's all. Never heard of this rule before...has anyone else?

Call back and try with a different agent. You should be able to use the WOW sale booking by phone - I've done it many times and prefer it because the invoice properly reflects the OBC and reduced deposit. (When you book it online, it takes them a week or so to manually apply the discount and update your invoice). (Unless they've changed the rule this time around)

The WOW sale is also useful for those loyalists who don't always book balcony cabins. I've used it several times to book a bonus cruise in an inside cabin.

Not all sales apply to everyone. We have the freedom to pick and choose the discounts that give us the best deal.

That has been the policy for WOW sales since the beginning of the WOW sales. They are designed / created for NEW passengers!

###

...and it is an "either / or" choice - you can apply the WOW offerings or the Diamond balcony discount, etc. Just not both. And typically in our experience the Diamond offering is better. If you think about it, the only real "sale" bonus is with the OBC as the reduced deposit is just that - the full balance is still due at some point and this does not reduce the overall stateroom rate. I would like to see more upfront stateroom discounts.

Call back and try with a different agent. You should be able to use the WOW sale booking by phone - I've done it many times and prefer it because the invoice properly reflects the OBC and reduced deposit. (When you book it online, it takes them a week or so to manually apply the discount and update your invoice). (Unless they've changed the rule this time around)

The last time they had the WOW sale, I wanted to take advantage of the reduced deposit. When I was ready to put the deposit down online on both rooms, it would only let me do the usual $250 pp and not the $100. Was that some sort of glitch? I was going to call and do it over the phone but I wanted to make sure I had full access to my reservation so I just paid the $250. :rolleyes: (I *think* at one point when you made reservations over the phone that there were restrictions on what you could and couldn't change to your reservation online. Is that still the case or was that never the case:confused:?)

The last time they had the WOW sale, I wanted to take advantage of the reduced deposit. When I was ready to put the deposit down online on both rooms, it would only let me do the usual $250 pp and not the $100. Was that some sort of glitch? I was going to call and do it over the phone but I wanted to make sure I had full access to my reservation so I just paid the $250. :rolleyes: (I *think* at one point when you made reservations over the phone that there were restrictions on what you could and couldn't change to your reservation online. Is that still the case or was that never the case:confused:?)

That wasn't the case for us...I was able to access my booking online and make changes for the WOW sale reservations I've made over the phone in the past.

See my post #15 on previous page. I believe that the reduced deposit and OBC will eventually show up several weeks after the sale is over.

Also in the fine print.........

"The 50% reduced deposit and onboard credit offer is applicable to on-line bookings; however, the on-line booking confirmation will not reflect this reduced deposit or onboard credit".

:confused: I'm confused as to how you are supposed to put $100 pp when the system won't allow you to do that.. (or at least wouldn't allow me to!) When I tried to change the amount to $200 ($100 pp for each room), I kept getting an error saying it had to be $500 for the room.

The WOW sale is also useful for those loyalists who don't always book balcony cabins. I've used it several times to book a bonus cruise in an inside cabin.

Not all sales apply to everyone. We have the freedom to pick and choose the discounts that give us the best deal.

Thanks Donna. Tried again and got the same answer. Just booked paying the regular deposit, not worth the hassle. Just wanted to ask as I've never seen that rule discussed before.

I find that RCI sending me offers that don't apply to me frustrating. I know that the Diamond discount is better, so I understand the point BUT it still feels like I am losing out. Yes, I have a better deal, but I thought that was a loyalty thing. It feels like, if you are "loyal" than you get this, but nothing else. No sales for you! EVER!

Personally, I find having to book onbaord a nuisance and it is often difficult to get an appointment to see the LA. I am onboard to enjoy myself, not spend time booking cruises - something that I would enjoy doing at home but not while onboard. If they had a week time limit after a cruise to book a future cruise credit, then that would be great. This way I never will get an extra discount over Diamond.

It isn't that it is wrong or even unreasonable. It is simply the fact that it makes you feel, rightly or wrongly, like you are losing out because you are Diamond. It certainly detracts from the feeling of privilege given by loyalty perk benefits. Some people don't feel this way, I know, but others of us do, obviously.

Perhaps, it is greedy, but it is sometimes human nature. It really doesn't do much good to say you shouldn't feel this way - you just do! I tell myself that it is reasonable for some sales to be targeted to some people and not others, but I still feel left out or like my deal has lost some value. Sorry y'all.

Wish that I didn't feel this way. But, I confess, that I do.

Somehow, it doesn't seem like a smart way to make loyal customers feel. It does sometimes (not always) result in me booking elsewhere.

:confused: I'm confused as to how you are supposed to put $100 pp when the system won't allow you to do that.. (or at least wouldn't allow me to!) When I tried to change the amount to $200 ($100 pp for each room), I kept getting an error saying it had to be $500 for the room.

You may want to call C&A 1-800-526-9723 and ask, but I think that even if you enter the normal deposit amount, it will only credit your cc with the reduced amount. The reduced amount has to be manually applied. Remember this is RCI IT department you are dealing with.:(

Archived