Bringing wine on board in port

cricketgal

Thanks & more proof that it's mostly enforced 'Downunder'.

For our late 2009 embarkation in Sydney we brought on only a couple of bottles knowing that in New Zealand we would bring a few bottles of their wine onboard in those ports. :D

Even when we were in the wine country, they would not let people bring on a bottle.

Since Princess rarely if ever enforces their alcohol rules, it really does not matter.

They seem to in Australia on Dawn Princess!! Looks like we´ll have a dry cruise

Sandy in Spain

They seem to in Australia on Dawn Princess!! Looks like we´ll have a dry cruise

Sandy in Spain

It just takes a little more effort.

For instance, on our wine tasting tour, I bought a bottle of shiraz. Dumped the water from my one liter water bottle, and pured in the wine. No problems at security.

We were on the Dawn Princess last September. Passengers were allowed to carry on one bottle of wine at embarkation and NONE at any other port. They were strictly enforcing the rule. We complained to the Captain and were basicly told "Too Bad".

That's too bad for the Dawn Princess in Australia, as far as I am concerned. Why on earth would they make such a silly fuss over a bottle or two of wine?

If I can't be treated like an adult, I just plain won't sail that itinerary.

We once sailed out of Vancouver with two couples heading all the way to Australia. When we docked in Seattle, they took their empty luggage to the wine store to stock up for the trip. Maybe they knew about this rule and were making sure they had more than enough before they got there.

On the Ramblas, left side as you walk toward Catalunya - two places. There's a large market with all sorts of wonderful foods, nuts, candies, etc and a wine shop in there. Very close is the supermarket; Carrafours. That's where I go. Cheap wine. My forte. :)

Thanks Pia. That is a great help. Can you recommend a good white wine. I am not familiar with Spanish wine. I like a Sauvignon Blanc.

Thanks Pia. That is a great help. Can you recommend a good white wine. I am not familiar with Spanish wine. I like a Sauvignon Blanc.

I drink SB too; first preference. Then pinot grigio. You will find both in Barcelona and a spanish wine I bought there was extremely cheap. Not inexpensive; cheap. Less than 3 euros. It was very good, but I don't recall the name.

Bye all. Out the door to the airport.

not only do we bring on wine but always a bottle of ketel one, 10th of vermouth, a jar of colossal olives stuffed with onions, a pt. of brandy and a btl. of port. 29 cruises on multiple lines and never had a problem.

Does anyone know where I can get wine in Barcelona?

We fly in the day before we embark. We are staying in the dock area but will be around the Ramblas area during the day.

In addition to the Carrefour store on the left side of the Ramblas as you walk up from the port, at the "top" of the Ramblas, in Placa Catalunya,on the right side of the big square, there is El Corte Ingles department store. In the lower level is the food area, with a large wine/ liquor store.

The walk from the beginning of the Ramblas to Placa Catalunya is 20-30 minute stroll, depending on how often you stop to take photos!

Barcelona is a great city! Cheers, Annabelle

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per person (no larger than 750 ml),

per voyage.

Yes, the cruise I referred to was in Australia under "aussie rules".

Does the Australian passenger contract read the same on this subject as the one in the USA?

• 2 weeks later...

el cote de ingles, toys r us for grownups! good wine and booze dept. and more importantly for me a great walk in humidor with cheap cuban cigars since spain enjoys favored nation status with cuba. their makeup area is the size of a full size pharmacy here in the states.

Did't think there would be more "wine" questions, but since there are, thought I would ask too. We are cruising out of NY end of Sept. arriving the day before the cruise and were wondering if any of you know where we can purchase wine to bring onboard. We're sure there won't be any discount stores but hoping we can at lease bring a couple bottles. We have purchased wine in FLL with no problem but are wondering if possible in NY?

Thanks for any suggestions.

There have been a few posts about the restriction on taking wine on to the Dawn Princess. I don't doubt that this happened, but it doesn't seem to be a problem now. In the last year, we have cruised on the Sun Princess and the Sea Princess out of Australian ports and there was no restriction.

We recently completed the 35 night cruise from Sydney to Hawaii/'Tahiti on the Dawn Princess and there was no problem whatsoever in taking on wine at each and every port. Many passengers were stocking up, particularly in the five Hawaiian ports.

I suspect that it was the Security Officer in charge on the Dawn Princess for a period of time who was enforcing his own rule and that things have now changed. :) We are going on the Dawn Princess again soon and it will be interesting to see what the situation is.

Did't think there would be more "wine" questions, but since there are, thought I would ask too. We are cruising out of NY end of Sept. arriving the day before the cruise and were wondering if any of you know where we can purchase wine to bring onboard. We're sure there won't be any discount stores but hoping we can at lease bring a couple bottles. We have purchased wine in FLL with no problem but are wondering if possible in NY?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The best place to buy bargain wine in Manhattan is at Trader Joe's Wine Store at 142 East 14th. Take the subway to the 14th and Union station and then back to Burrough Hall in Brooklyn where you can catch a bus that takes you within a couple of blocks of the ship. We read lots of horror stories about taking the bus from the ship to the subway and then to Manhattan and back, but it was really a piece of cake. As long as you can walk a bit it is not a problem.

I don't remember the number of the bus, but I am sure you can figure it out. I believe it was B63, but double check that.

Check out their wine guide: http://www.traderjoes.com/guides/wine-guide.asp

There have been a few posts about the restriction on taking wine on to the Dawn Princess. I don't doubt that this happened, but it doesn't seem to be a problem now. In the last year, we have cruised on the Sun Princess and the Sea Princess out of Australian ports and there was no restriction.

We recently completed the 35 night cruise from Sydney to Hawaii/'Tahiti on the Dawn Princess and there was no problem whatsoever in taking on wine at each and every port. Many passengers were stocking up, particularly in the five Hawaiian ports.

I suspect that it was the Security Officer in charge on the Dawn Princess for a period of time who was enforcing his own rule and that things have now changed. :) We are going on the Dawn Princess again soon and it will be interesting to see what the situation is.

Can you somehow confirm that they are no longer restricting wine on the Dawn. That was the one thing that prevented me from booking. I hate all of that high school nonsense.

We sailed on the Dawn for 42 days last September and October and there was a problem then. Could be better now. I don't know.

Can you somehow confirm that they are no longer restricting wine on the Dawn. That was the one thing that prevented me from booking. I hate all of that high school nonsense.

The problems I have heard about seemed to be last last year and very early this year.

When do you want to book?

I can guarantee there wasn't a problem in April/May this year. We will be going on the Dawn again soon and I can post information when we return.:):)

The problems I have heard about seemed to be last last year and very early this year.

snip...I can guarantee there wasn't a problem in April/May this year. We will be going on the Dawn again soon and I can post information when we return.:):)

If the´rules´are not being enforced on the Dawn now that would be great, as we´re on Dawn next April for 4 weeks.

Please post your experience, Aus Traveller. When are you off?

Sandy in Spain

When do you want to book?

I can guarantee there wasn't a problem in April/May this year. We will be going on the Dawn again soon and I can post information when we return.:):)

Thanks, Aus Traveller, please keep us posted.

We want to go "everywhere" and are particular about the order in which we do it. We have been lucky enough to have already spent a fair amount of time in Australia and New Zealand, including a very interesting trip to Tasmania and Port Arthur, but would still like to go back someday is all the start align themselves propery. So when we someday find an extremelly good deal on a sail, coupled with good award tickets for air, and a guarantee that they won't play silly games about wine, we will go back.

Archived