Bringing wine on board in port

cricketgal

I've never experienced any problems with bringing wine onboard at embarkation or in ports and have never had it limited to only one bottle. Occasionally I will also bring a local brand of beer onboard that is not available on the ship to enjoy in my cabin.

Thank you for the info!!!:D

i work in vancouver and stayed on robson st. for the first 15 of the 17 yrs to current.

there is a well stocked government liquor and wine store on alberni and thurlow. alberni is one block off robson. there is also liberty wine merchants (expensive) at robson and jervis, and one block up from robson next to the sutton place hotel is the sutton wine shop. good selection and mid priced between the govt. store and liberty.

have a great cruise

Does anyone know where I can get wine in Barcelona?

We fly in the day before we embark. We are staying in the dock area but will be around the Ramblas area during the day.

We´re sailing in Dawn Princess out of Sydney next year, and I hear there are problems taking wine on board all the Australian ports. Has anyone any recent experience please?

Sandy in Spain

We´re sailing in Dawn Princess out of Sydney next year, and I hear there are problems taking wine on board all the Australian ports. Has anyone any recent experience please?

Sandy in Spain

Really? I would like more information on this. We have never had a problem taking wine aboard any Princess ship, anywhere in the world.

Some of the best wine we ever had was "No Name" wine that we bought in Sydney for $2.00. I was at the check-out stand ready to buy a much more expensive bottle and the clerk turned me on to the "No Name" wine. I think it works the same way as Two Buck Chuck. They buy up overages from the wineries and sell them unbranded. What a find!

If anyone has any experience boarding wine in Australia, please share it.

Sandy in Spain

We were on the Dawn Princess last September. Passengers were allowed to carry on one bottle of wine at embarkation and NONE at any other port. They were strictly enforcing the rule. We complained to the Captain and were basicly told "Too Bad".

On the Circumnavigation of Australia on Dawn Princess last September they strictly enforced the "one bottle at boarding only". At all stops they were taking wine purchases off passengers as they reboarded and returning at the conclusion of the cruise.

As I understand it, this problem only occurs on "Australian" based Princess ships. We have certainly not experienced it on Sapphire, Diamond or Sea Princess ships.

Really? I would like more information on this. We have never had a problem taking wine aboard any Princess ship, anywhere in the world.

From what I´ve been reading it does seem a bit hit and miss for the Australian cruises, although Dawn does seem to be pedantic in it´s application (we´re on DAwn next April for a round Australia cruise)

Other replies can be found here

Post 12, 14 and 15, on Dawn rollcall dep 31 march 2013

Post 49 on Australian and NZ cruisers thread Wine—how much can you take?

When we sailed out of Sydney before on Trans Pacific cruise we had no problem taking wine on board, but that was not on Dawn.

A disappointed Sandy in Spain

Does anyone know where I can get wine in Barcelona?

We fly in the day before we embark. We are staying in the dock area but will be around the Ramblas area during the day.

On the Ramblas, left side as you walk toward Catalunya - two places. There's a large market with all sorts of wonderful foods, nuts, candies, etc and a wine shop in there. Very close is the supermarket; Carrafours. That's where I go. Cheap wine. My forte. :)

We plan to take a case of red wine on board when we embark in Vancouver. One problem, haven't the faintest idea where to buy it - can anyone give me any help, we're staying on Robson Street. Thanks

You will find a government liquor store on Robson Street just ask at your hotel. Remember our wine prices in Vancouver are much higher than in the United States. I can buy a bottle of nice French red wine in Costco in Bellingham Washington for $7.99 and in Vancouver that same bottle will cost me $19.99. When we go on our cruise in September we will bring on a box for our cabin but we will purchase the wine in the dining room for dinner. At $19.99 plus $15.00 corkage fee, it's cheaper to buy that same bottle onboard for $28.00.

Cherie

One bottle per person, but it can be a1.5 liter bottle or even one of the large wine boxes.

Not if you're intent is to follow the rules...

From the Cruise Answer Book:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per person (no larger than 750 ml),

per voyage.

Lew

Not if you're intent is to follow the rules...

From the Cruise Answer Book:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per person (no larger than 750 ml),

per voyage.

Lew

Lew,

The problem with your quote is that there is no such statement in the Passage Contract. No where does it state a limit of one bottle per passenger.

The problem with your quote is that there is no such statement in the Passage Contract. No where does it state a limit of one bottle per passenger.

True Paul...

However, the Passage Contract includes the following catch-all statement:

12. RESPONSIBILITY TO COMPLY WITH LAW AND REGULATIONS, RULES OF SHIP; NO SOLICITATION.

You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel, as well as this Passage Contract. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You shall not solicit other Passengers for commercial purposes or advertise goods or services on board the ship without Carrier’s prior written permission. You may be disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind if You or any Passenger for whom You are responsible violate any of these requirements, and agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance.

I'm not an attorney, but I believe the statement about 1 750ml bottle of wine per person is a rule enforceable by the above clause. There are other rules and regulations not specifically spelled out in the Passage Contract that we all follow; for instance, there is no reference to attending the muster drill, but we all do so because because it's required by a rule or regulation.

Lew

True Paul...

However, the Passage Contract includes the following catch-all statement:

12. RESPONSIBILITY TO COMPLY WITH LAW AND REGULATIONS, RULES OF SHIP; NO SOLICITATION.

You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel, as well as this Passage Contract. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You shall not solicit other Passengers for commercial purposes or advertise goods or services on board the ship without Carrier’s prior written permission. You may be disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind if You or any Passenger for whom You are responsible violate any of these requirements, and agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance.

I'm not an attorney, but I believe the statement about 1 750ml bottle of wine per person is a rule enforceable by the above clause. There are other rules and regulations not specifically spelled out in the Passage Contract that we all follow; for instance, there is no reference to attending the muster drill, but we all do so because because it's required by a rule or regulation.

Lew

Since Princess rarely if ever enforces their alcohol rules, it really does not matter.

I have another question (hope I didn't miss above somewhere), I was wondering if there is a place to get water,soda & maybe beer in Whittier, since this isn't something I want to get in Anchorage & drag on the train with us.

Since Princess rarely if ever enforces their alcohol rules, it really does not matter.

You're absolutely correct! However, if and when they do, quoting the Passage Contract while they're putting all your wine in storage won't do anyone much good... :rolleyes:

Lew

On the Dawn last September, they were enforcing the one bottle at embarkation and none at the other ports. They were strict about it, but where there is a will there is a way. :)

Was that in Australia? Most of the posts I've read about wine being limited to 1 bottle have been there.

I agree with you & Lew...there is no limit in the contract & there is a catch all statement to "obey all rules, regulations & orders". I'm not an attorney either & which is legally binding has been debated many times. To me it's doubtful that any statement not in the contract would be a 'rule or regulation' .

Either way in reality they rarely limit the amount wine brought onboard, if it is enforced it's mostly in Australia & if they do enforce it they keep the wine until the last night...oh well. ;)

Was that in Australia? Most of the posts I've read about wine being limited to 1 bottle have been there.

I agree with you & Lew...there is no limit in the contract & there is a catch all statement to "obey all rules, regulations & orders". I'm not an attorney either & which is legally binding has been debated many times. To me it's doubtful that any statement not in the contract would be a 'rule or regulation' .

Either way in reality they rarely limit the amount wine brought onboard, if it is enforced it's mostly in Australia & if they do enforce it they keep the wine until the last night...oh well. ;)

Yes, the cruise I referred to was in Australia under "aussie rules".

Yes, the cruise I referred to was in Australia under "aussie rules".

Thanks & more proof that it's mostly enforced 'Downunder'.

For our late 2009 embarkation in Sydney we brought on only a couple of bottles knowing that in New Zealand we would bring a few bottles of their wine onboard in those ports. :D

Archived