Help - Independence or Adventure?

We are looking at 2 cruises for Christmas and can't decide which one. Would love some insight from those that have experience on either/both

Independence - 8 days Eastern out of Ft. Lauderdale stopping in St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee.

Adventure - 7 days out of San Juan stopping in St. Thomas, St. Maartan, Aruba and Curaco.

About us: We've only cruised once before on the Allure, family of 6 (mom, dad & 4 girls ages 20, 15, 13, & 11), we like our sailing days, we like long dinners in the dining room so if one is better that would be good to know, we enjoy the entertainment/shows most of all, not into any sports, will want to take some excursions.

Thanks so much!

This is a tough choice. The southern itinerary out of San Juan is great.. My favorite actually. But the Independence is a newer, nicer ship. Travel expenses could be a consideration being that San Juan isnt as easy to get to as Ft Lauderdale. Tough choice! If it was me I would go with the Southern Carib itinerary! Get there a day or two early and stay at the Ritz and enjoy the beach. Also do a kayak excursion to see the Bioluminescent Plankton at night in San Juan- its amazing. Then get on the ship and enjoy a cruise :cool:

No worries about travel to the port - we will use frequent flyers. The biggest thing holding me up is newer ship with the flowrider etc. that the girls would like vs. what I think would be a nicer itinerary. So hard to make the final decision.

It would be much easier if there was something more significant in any area to sway us.

Both itineraries allow for trips to Maho Beach in St. Maarten so the itineraries are equal...at least in my twisted airplane dork mind. :)

I haven't done Adventure or Independence but I have sailed on other ships in their respective classes. For me, it really comes down to the Flowrider. Of all the features that come with the Freedom class, that's the key difference for me. How much did your family utilize that on the Allure?

It also might be worth comparing cabins a bit. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but it seems that a D1 on the Independence is a bit larger than one on the Adventure. That probably isn't a huge deal but at least worth considering IMO.

But perhaps the best aspect of the Independence is that you get another day of vacation! :)

Anyway -- I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's a tough call for sure but at least you'll have a great vacation (hopefully) either way!

This is a no-brainer for me. An extra day on a 7 year newer ship. Freedom-class ships are our favorite, but very similar to Voyager-class.

If you are planning on getting a balcony, the balconies are larger and glass on Independence. They are more cave-like (mostly metal, part glass) on Adventure.

Hard choice...however having done the 8 night eastern caribbean on both the INDY & Liberty a few times...that 8 nighter is worth it and one of our favorites as a family !!!

Here's another vote for Indy! Love the 8-nighter with all those sea days. And my guess is your teens will probably enjoy sleeping late a few mornings. Port days, as I'm sure you know, can be very hectic;)

Thanks y'all. I didn't realize there was such a difference in age between the ships. I was leaning towards the 8 day but since we did Labadee on the Allure and the stop in San Juan was so short, I really liked the other itinerary.

I am continuing to lean towards the Indy now and will check out some of the shore excursions before I make a final decision.

We've recently faced a similar dilemma, involving a choice between these exact two ships for our next holiday. Several factors made us choose the Independence though:

1)It's a much newer ship

2)The Adventure receives repeated reviews about being run down and suffering from noise and vibrations

3)The Independence has the flowrider and Splash Zone for children

4)The Independence has fresh water, heated pool

We went on the Independence earlier this year and weren't disappointed in any respect. I'd expect you to feel the same afterwards.

My first cruise ever was that exact itinerary out of San Juan on Adventure back in 2006 and it was fantastic! I can't say enough fantastic things about the itinerary.

That being said, if you like your sea days, the Indy itinerary has 1 more sea day so that may be your cup of tea.

No worries about travel to the port - we will use frequent flyers. The biggest thing holding me up is newer ship with the flowrider etc. that the girls would like vs. what I think would be a nicer itinerary. So hard to make the final decision.

It would be much easier if there was something more significant in any area to sway us.

IMHO, this is the key statement. I'm no parent, but for sure can see that this vacation is a Christmas present to your kids. If they would like the Flowrider better, that seems like a pretty major factor.

And I would normally totally tell you how great the Adventure is, and how cool this itinerary is- we've done it twice with two different groups of people- had a great time. Plus we just love San Juan, and would do a lot to spend extra time there.

BUT. I may be wrong in suggesting that you lean toward your kids, but it just seems as if they will have a great time on the Indy. That, and it's not as if that itinerary is bad. :D

(can't comment on the conditions, having never been on the Independance- but I keep reading how that class is basically a stretched Voyager class, so for the most part, they are very, very similar ships- details and age make them different)

I would go with Indy for a few reasons...

After Allure you'll want and expect new, fresh and full of activities. You'll get that moreso on Indy than Adventure. It'll be an easier transition.

You'll hit up st maarten on indy too, and st thomas is more commercial anyway

Aruba is a late night port, not at much fun with kids

Longer

I have done both ships, and were not dissapponted with either. IOS has the Flow Rider, H2O Zone, boxing ring, and Sorrentos. Adventure's promenade isn't as wide as IOS, you get pizza from the Promenade Cafe, and you have a sports bar as opposed to Vintages.

If the flowrider is that important to your girls, that I'd say do the Independence.

Itinerary-wise, I'd do the Adventure for the reasons below.

• You can fly into San Juan a day or two early and enjoy it...having only a few hours there would not be enough for me (and that's after a 5 day land trip, and a 1 nt pre-cruise stay).
  • You have already done Labadee. You can always choose to go to a beach on another island or..learn about their culture and history.
  • St. Marteen is on the other cruise so you wouldn't be giving up that port.

Archived