Concerned about poor reviews of food in QM2 Britannia

junglejane

We are planning on booking the June 1, 2013 eastbound TA for our family of 4. We want to use frequent flier miles for our flights, so we will probably need to commit ourselves and book those in the very near future. We are concerned because we keep reading negative reviews about the food in the MDR on the QM2. We've read lots of complaints in the member reviews section about small portions and mediocre food. I don't think we have unrealistic expectations. We know that the food in the MDR is generally more banquet-quality rather than fine dining. Still, the drumbeat of negativity is starting to concern us. Add to that all the negative comments I read on this board moaning about "slipping standards" "culture eroding" and "dumbing down" of the experience and we are questioning our plans.

I'd love to hear some more reports about the dining experience in Britannia on the QM2. Please either reassure me or help me lower my expectations!

I disembarked from the QM2 last Sunday. The service we received in Britannia was excellent, our waiters and sommelier were great. My husband is a big fan of red meat and had some excellent beef and steaks. The majority of my choices were fish and on the whole they were very good.....I would say that maybe twice the fish was overcooked but very difficult to manage. Starters were great

Portions can be small (the beef wasn't!) but more than enough if you are having four courses, plus coffee and petit fours. You can also get a late night snack from Kings Court if you are hungry - hubby developed a taste for their club sandwiches.

If I had any complaints I would say the salad course was uninspiring - a lot of lettuce with few other ingredients - in a way this was welcome with the rich food. I also thought some of the desserts were a bit flavourless......peach mousse, cappuccino cake were very mild tasting. These are not really an issue, just the things I found less enjoyable, it certainly did not stop me eating them!

You certainly will not go hungry.

We only managed one breakfast in Britannia which was excellent and we never quite made it to lunch either, preferring a late breakfast in KC and then a spot of afternnon tea

We traveled on QM2 Eastbound TA during April 2011 and the food in Britannia DR was excellent. Both the food selection and quality was very good. It will be a wonderful experience, so book those mileage awards for the return airfare and have a great time! The airline awards are very limited if you are planning on First or Business class, so it is a good idea to book as soon as the awards open up; typically that is 330 days prior to your travel date.

We are planning on booking the June 1, 2013 eastbound TA for our family of 4. We want to use frequent flier miles for our flights, so we will probably need to commit ourselves and book those in the very near future. We are concerned because we keep reading negative reviews about the food in the MDR on the QM2. We've read lots of complaints in the member reviews section about small portions and mediocre food. I don't think we have unrealistic expectations. We know that the food in the MDR is generally more banquet-quality rather than fine dining. Still, the drumbeat of negativity is starting to concern us. Add to that all the negative comments I read on this board moaning about "slipping standards" "culture eroding" and "dumbing down" of the experience and we are questioning our plans.

I'd love to hear some more reports about the dining experience in Britannia on the QM2. Please either reassure me or help me lower my expectations!

Yes, the portions are smaller than you probably eat at home but they are no smaller than in many a very fancy restaurant ashore - and if, after you've eaten the first portion, you feel like you haven't had enough, just ask for another portion (and another, and another and...). I've never been refused yet.

As for the quality - keep at the back of your mind that this is mass catering on a very large scale indeed. How many hotels have to cater for over a thousand diners, never mind getting on for two thousand? In the course of seven Cunard voyages on QE2, QV, QM2, and QE I have never yet had a meal that I would describe as mediocre, never mind poor. One other tip - pick stuff you know you'll enjoy and I can promise you you won't be disappointed.

J

I did transatlantic B2B end of May/early June and ate in the MDR every night bar one (wasn't well that night - the motion of the ocean), and can honestly say there wasn't one meal that I didn't enjoy. Yes, the portions are not huge, but they are perfectly adequate. I have to say the staff were superb - one night there was nothing in the entrees that I fancied, so I had a chat with my waiter, and we decided I would have three starters instead of the entree, and they were delicious. Nothing was too much trouble. I'm sure you will enjoy, and I can't wait to go again. :)

I did transatlantic B2B end of May/early June and ate in the MDR every night bar one (wasn't well that night - the motion of the ocean), and can honestly say there wasn't one meal that I didn't enjoy. Yes, the portions are not huge, but they are perfectly adequate. I have to say the staff were superb - one night there was nothing in the entrees that I fancied, so I had a chat with my waiter, and we decided I would have three starters instead of the entree, and they were delicious. Nothing was too much trouble. I'm sure you will enjoy, and I can't wait to go again. :)

That matches my experience precisely. And I also have to say that all three of my breakfasts every morning were superb too!

:D:D

J

We are planning on booking the June 1, 2013 eastbound TA for our family of 4. We are concerned because we keep reading negative reviews about the food in the MDR on the QM2. We've read lots of complaints in the member reviews section about small portions and mediocre food. I don't think we have unrealistic expectations. We know that the food in the MDR is generally more banquet-quality rather than fine dining. Still, the drumbeat of negativity is starting to concern us. Add to that all the negative comments I read on this board moaning about "slipping standards" "culture eroding" and "dumbing down" of the experience and we are questioning our plans. I'd love to hear some more reports about the dining experience in Britannia on the QM2. Please either reassure me or help me lower my expectations!

Hi,

I enjoyed crossing and cruising voyages on QM2 last year (and QE recently) and am pleased to report that I found the food in the Britannia Restaurant very good (as it also was on QV and QE2 (Caronia)).

Whilst at first glance the portions might look small, after 4 courses I have yet to come away hungry from the table. I was especially looking out for slipping standards, poorly cooked dishes or vegtables... items over-cooked or arriving cold... but I had some of the best meals I've ever enjoyed, on QM2 and QE in the past year. Some meals were superb, others simply very good. Vegetables were cooked to perfection, every time. Service from the stewards was beyond praise. As others have said, almost nothing is too much trouble.

If I have one negative note, it is that I've had occasional poor experience with sommeliers, on one crossing ours vanished and we didn't get the requested bottle with the main course, and on another voyage, he was far too keen to sell us things (bottles of port, Irish coffees, etc) every time he visited the table.

So, I've had superb meals in Britannia Restaurants on every voyage (or I wouldn't keep going back). (But there will be someone along in a moment, I'm fairly certain, to tell you how dreadful the whole experience was...)

Have a wonderful time, Bon Voyage!

The food in the MDR's of the 3 Queens was fine for us. Quality-wise, I can't differentiate between the MDR food of any of the 9 cruiseships we have experienced so far. I call it "International hotel food". The style varies a little depending on the nationalities catered for - you will never find liver on any MDR menu of an Aussie ship :)

Barry

A friend just returned from a B2B transatlantic and I had several emails from him telling me that the food and service in Britannia was very good and he found nothing to complain about.

I also read some very negative reviews about the food on QM2. We almost cancelled our crossing, but fortunately we didn't. Thought the food was very good and the service was outstanding. This was in April and we enjoyed the ship so much that we are doing another crossing in Nov.

Don't let the very subjective food reviews put you off. Go and enjoy this beautiful ship.

Thanks everyone for the reassuring comments. I'm not the least bit worried about going hungry. In my cruising experience, the bigger issue is trying to work up an appetite in time for the next meal. But the negative reviews had me concerned because we're assuming that the dinner experience (complete with the dress code and excellent service) is one of the main reasons a QM2 crossing is reputed to be so special.:)

The food quality & portion size has slipped some in the past few years. The Grills still seem to have the same high standards(as they should at those prices!)If you feel the portions are small(try to observe some meals around your table to gage the portion size)don't be afraid to ask for a larger portion(when you order)I always hinted(quietly) that I tip well if the food is good.

I went on the QM2 for the first time in September 2007 and also was starting to become unhappy due to all the very negative reviews about the ship that I had started to read . It turned out to be absolutely wonderful and I just completed my 10th voyage in April 2012, which was the best ever! As others have already said, you can order as much as you want and if you get a dish you are not happy with, your waiter will be glad to let you order something else. I always have a baked potato added to every main course and on lobster night I get the lobster and the beef offering. Of course, its not all perfect, but pretty close. But just as important as the food and service is, your tablemates can make a real difference on how much you enjoy the evening meals, here's hoping you get a good group.

.... We want to use frequent flier miles for our flights, so we will probably need to commit ourselves and book those in the very near future. ....

FYI: If you have AMEX, you can use reward points for Cunard as well. But you have to booked through amex or one of their agencies. Each reward point equals $0.0075. So 100,000 pts = $750.

I don't know if other credit cards have similar deals with Cunard.

I think the food in Britannia is slipping a bit in terms of variety and selection, but it wasn't bad. I agree with the poster who commented on the poor selection of salads.

One thing they do well is manage special needs. A woman at our table had a dietary issue. I think it was dairy. Whatever it was, they gave her the next day's menus (they had lunch as well as dinner in the Britannia), and she made her choices. She always got what she had pre-ordered, never had to send anything back. Her dessert was always a surprise--apparently it was whatever dairy-free goodie the chef felt like making--and she was always pleased with it.

We are concerned because we keep reading negative reviews about the food in the MDR on the QM2. We've read lots of complaints in the member reviews section about small portions and mediocre food.
You are aware that's the opening of Annie Hall, aren't you?
Alvy Singer: [addressing the camera] There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.
My observation is that "It sure isn't the way it used to be" is something of favorite sport on the Cunard board - it identifies the poster as one who knows firsthand how great it always was on QE2 and Caronia. I wouldn't worry; I think your expectations (banquet food ) are in line with the experience - but it's actually pretty good banquet food, if you want my opinion.

partial quote

...You are aware that's the opening of Annie Hall, aren't you?...

[laughing] Here's the quote from Annie Hall

“There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.” -Author Woody Allen

:D

Considering the number of passengers the kitchen services in the MDR each evening, they do a pretty good job IMO. I have eaten better in the MDRs on some other ships and equally have had some lesser meals on them as well. We were disappointed with both the salads and the vegetables; the latter seemed to be plain boiled/steamed with no extra garnishing or flavouring ingredients. Food from the Canyon Spa selections was very plain and not well flavoured. W certainly did not go hungry and found the size of the portions quite adequate but remember fine dining it's not.

Thanks everyone for the reassuring comments. I'm not the least bit worried about going hungry. In my cruising experience, the bigger issue is trying to work up an appetite in time for the next meal. But the negative reviews had me concerned because we're assuming that the dinner experience (complete with the dress code and excellent service) is one of the main reasons a QM2 crossing is reputed to be so special.:)

The negative food reviews about Cunard are the best! Where else are you going to read about waiters reportedly throwing plates at people and the "inedible" food that some passengers are apparently served. :D

Have fun reading them, but don't let them put you off a Cunard voyage. The reality is completely different.

The negative food reviews about Cunard are the best! Where else are you going to read about waiters reportedly throwing plates at people and the "inedible" food that some passengers are apparently served. :D

Have fun reading them, but don't let them put you off a Cunard voyage. The reality is completely different.

They certainly add to the sum of human happiness, don't they? I'm still waiting for a reply from the guy who said that he had eaten better food in a Tesco cafeteria. I asked him which branch of Tesco he was talking about as I would very much like to eat there - but I didn't get an answer.

:D:D

J

First tip, make friends with your waiters. If you don't like something ask for another option, though unfortunately that does mean a wait and a delay at the table. Usually the waiter will offer this if you don't eat much of a meal because you don't like it. And if there is nothing you fancy on the menu ask the waiter to ask the chef to cook something off menu steak or salmon is not difficult. You may be told this is not possible but we find that it can be done if you are firm.

I am always as doubtful of folk who say everything was perfect as I am with those who say everything was lousy. I have had a few awful meals on QM2 and have had some outstanding ones, and I do believe that perceptions of food depend on what we usually eat at home. I told one of our table companions that I had not eaten one single meal on QM2 that was as good as the food I cook at home every day. He looked a bit taken aback by this.

It certainly is not gourmet food and any reasonably competent home cook can do meals better, but accept that fact, accept that this is mass catering and you don't have to do the washing up after and you will not be disappointed

David.

Archived