Barcelona update today!!

msk1

In Barcelona, Sagrada Familia is supposed to be a main attraction. It´s a Catholic church---once we were inside we were somewhat underwhelmed. You won´t need the audioguide. However, if you have Rick Steve´s explanation (print online or use the book) it´s more than enough. Do buy your tix online ahead of time if possible. Also, make sure you don´t miss your entrance time . They changed those rules yesterday--apparently.

We recommend the hop on to get a feel for the city. The red and blue loop each take about 2 hrs. It´ll let you see all of the architecture you´re interested in and the audioguide it comes with isn´t bad.

Walk the Ramblas, eat at La Poma--Italian food, reasonable and good service. It´s on the Ramblas halfway between the Boqueria and Placa Catalunya.

Other than that, you really don´t need too much time here. We went to the Barça soccer stadium--pricy but neat.

enjoy!

msk1

In Barcelona, Sagrada Familia is supposed to be a main attraction. It´s a Catholic church---once we were inside we were somewhat underwhelmed. You won´t need the audioguide. However, if you have Rick Steve´s explanation (print online or use the book) it´s more than enough. Do buy your tix online ahead of time if possible. Also, make sure you don´t miss your entrance time . They changed those rules yesterday--apparently.

We recommend the hop on to get a feel for the city. The red and blue loop each take about 2 hrs. It´ll let you see all of the architecture you´re interested in and the audioguide it comes with isn´t bad.

Walk the Ramblas, eat at La Poma--Italian food, reasonable and good service. It´s on the Ramblas halfway between the Boqueria and Placa Catalunya.

Other than that, you really don´t need too much time here. We went to the Barça soccer stadium--pricy but neat.

enjoy!

msk1

The Sagrada is a main attraction and more than just a Catholic Church, it is a wonderful piece of architecture! This and other Gaudi buildings in Barcelona were recognised by UNESCO as far back as 1984 to "testify to his exceptional creative contribution to the development of architecture and building technology in the late 19th and early 20th centuries".

I thought they were wonderful and have been back to see more.

I didn't bother eating Italian food in Spain. I prefer to eat local food which is, in my view, pretty yummy if you stay away from the clear tourist traps.

We loved the HOHO and the audio. We loved the Gaudi architecture and toured Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera and Casa Battilo. We walked LaRambla, wandered the Bouqeria, celebrated from our balcony Barca winning the Euro Cup with thousands on LaRambla (until 3 in the morning).

I recently read that the former bullfight arena is now a major tourist destination with shops and restaurants and has surpassed Sagrada in tourists, and that's saying something!

We spent two days and barely scratched the surface of Barcelona...Park Guell, museums, Gothic Quarter, Montjuic, the beaches, the restaurants...I think even a week wouldn't cover the many highlights of this beautiful city.

enjoy!

msk1

"Underwhelmed" :eek: must take a lot to impress you ;)

We loved the HOHO and the audio. We loved the Gaudi architecture and toured Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera and Casa Battilo. We walked LaRambla, wandered the Bouqeria, celebrated from our balcony Barca winning the Euro Cup with thousands on LaRambla (until 3 in the morning).

I recently read that the former bullfight arena is now a major tourist destination with shops and restaurants and has surpassed Sagrada in tourists, and that's saying something!

We spent two days and barely scratched the surface of Barcelona...Park Guell, museums, Gothic Quarter, Montjuic, the beaches, the restaurants...I think even a week wouldn't cover the many highlights of this beautiful city.

May I ask what hotel for the Balcony over La Rambla?

We are balcony fans..always try to have one every hotel everywhere.

It was the Hotel Continental. Read up on it on these threads. It's clean, it's quirky and it's PINK! Ask for the a room over La Rambla...it's one night we will never forget.

Thanks I thought it might be ..yes we are looking at the Continental.

Stayed at the Continental with a balcony overlooking La Rambla the night that Barca beat AC Milano in the Champions League final game, but lost the Championship on point differential. One of the local TV stations had set up at the hotel so they could film the crowds. They had a raw feed large screen TV set up in the dining area for the crew to watch. They invited us in to watch. That was fun - the crew was really into the game. No massive crowd after the game, but a nice sized group who gathered to sing team songs have a good time. The interior design of the Continental reminded me of a, ahem, bordello. But, I got over it. Not my kind of hotel (I'm a Westin/W/Andaz kind of girl), but I was with friends and they chose it. It was my first introduction to a European 3 star hotel (more was more like what I consider a 2 star in the US).

As for the OP, I'm sorry that you think Sagrada Familia is just a Catholic Church and not much else is worth spending time seeing in Barcelona. I spent hours just looking at the OUTSIDE of the church! I had one that I really loved blown up into a 24x36 canvas wall hanging. I had 3 days in Barca and I still have to go back to experience more. To each his own.

I have been there twice and Montjuic was good. Loved our Hotel Arts but other than that I wasn't a Barcelona fan. I did get up close to the Church and it was absolutely fascinating. Having said that I just wasn't in love with Barcelona. I was open-minded, even after having my wallet and camera stolen and still- I just found the parks to be overgrown, littered and there were stray dogs roaming around. The port area one block off Las Ramblas was the prostitution/drug addict area and it was really sketchy. The people by and large don't speak English, which I know we Americans are spoiled, but this made it seem less inviting simple because of this barrier- which isn't the case in the other European countries I been too.

I did however really like Malaga and Madrid and would go back there in a heartbeat.

I agree about La Sagrada Familia - my first thought was "what a b*tt ugly church" and I don't understand all the excitement about it. Unique, sure, but not very appealing. However, I disagree about La Poma - lots and lots of good reasonably priced places that were better than that, in my opinion. It wasn't bad, just not as good as many other alternatives nearby. I was glad I visited Barcelona, but I much preferred Bilbao and Madrid.....I've heard that about Barcelona and Madrid, that those who love one don't care much for the other, as they have very different "vibes".

enjoy!

msk1

To clairify: it takes 2 hours to do EACH ONE OF THE ROUTES or 2 hours to do both? thanks so much!

To clairify: it takes 2 hours to do EACH ONE OF THE ROUTES or 2 hours to do both? thanks so much!

Each took about two hours, without getting on or off. It was blistering hot so many chose the downstairs with a/c. There could have been more commentary but seeing so much in such a short time was a great introduction. Enjoy!

msk1

Barcelona is a lovely city with friendly helpful people. Very clean and less graffiti than many of the others we visited on our recent cruise. La Sagrada Familia was epic! We spent an hour and a half there enjoying the architecture, color, light and spirituality. We also took advantage of the HOHO bus which was very convenient. Had a great meal at Montiel where we were treated as if we were special guests by the owner and staff.

I would have to say the Sagrada Familia was magnificant.

But I felt cheated. I asked one of the employees behind a rope about mass and she says that mass is hardly ever held there and that you attend mass in your parrish. I guess its just being built as a money making church looking building.

It is a wonderful structure, but I just didn't feel like I was in a 'place of worship' when the lady told me they don't hold mass there. I felt like I was paying to walk around an amazing piece of architecture.

Anyway, I went with my family of 5 and my deeply religous mother and father and law. The in-laws are on their knees praying and saying the rosary and whatever, and I am thinking, this isn't really a "church," its an attraction posing as a church.

I would have to say the Sagrada Familia was magnificant.

But I felt cheated. I asked one of the employees behind a rope about mass and she says that mass is hardly ever held there and that you attend mass in your parrish. I guess its just being built as a money making church looking building.

It is a wonderful structure, but I just didn't feel like I was in a 'place of worship' when the lady told me they don't hold mass there. I felt like I was paying to walk around an amazing piece of architecture.

Anyway, I went with my family of 5 and my deeply religous mother and father and law. The in-laws are on their knees praying and saying the rosary and whatever, and I am thinking, this isn't really a "church," its an attraction posing as a church.

Most people visit Sagrada Familia for its history and architecture. It is a Unesco world heritage site.

You said "I guess its just being built as a money making church looking building". I don't think that was what Gaudi had in mind when he started it in 1882 :rolleyes:. Nowadays, it is the money from visitors, together with donations, which is enabling work to continue on it.

It has only been a consecrated chuch for about 18 months. Pope Benedict XVI consecrated it when he visited Spain in November 2010.

Following the consecration, the main nave is now open for a daily mass.

I don't understand why you felt cheated. If you had read about the building before you went you would have known the situation.

Carol,

Wanted to point out I did say it was magnificant.

But churches aren't my thing. You see a loads of them in Europe and I grew up in Germany as the child of a soldier. I have been to Euorpe twice since I moved back to the US and Castles and Churches are places I dread going to.

With that being said, I went because the rest of my party had an interest in going, not me. I did no previous research. When I got there I was in awe. It was truly amazing and definitley worth the trip and worth the price of admission.

My wife once took me to a Brittany Spears concert where we spent over 200 bucks a ticket to sit in the front row and watch her lip sync everyone of her songs. I said, "That sucked, she didn't sing anything." My wife replied, "You're not going to the concert to hear her, you're there to see her put on a show." Perception.

I felt like I was paying to walk around an amazing piece of architecture.

No, it's a historical church that is still and has been under construction for almost 150 years. I'm not surprised that they don't hold regular masses in an ongoing construction site! Yes, you were paying to walk around a unique architectural site designed by a famous man who left his stamp (and name) on design around the world.......I'm surprised you didn't know that.

There are lovely churches and cathedrals around Barcelona that don't get the press of La Sagrada Familia, and I hope you and your family visited them as well. My favourites were the churches Santa Maria del Mar and Santa Maria del Pi, rather than the Se (cathedral) itself.

No, it's a historical church that is still and has been under construction for almost 150 years. I'm not surprised that they don't hold regular masses in an ongoing construction site! Yes, you were paying to walk around a unique architectural site designed by a famous man who left his stamp (and name) on design around the world.......I'm surprised you didn't know that.

There are lovely churches and cathedrals around Barcelona that don't get the press of La Sagrada Familia, and I hope you and your family visited them as well. My favourites were the churches Santa Maria del Mar and Santa Maria del Pi, rather than the Se (cathedral) itself.

No, I didn't know that, I really didn't care. Like I said, not my thing. But I loved it for what it was. Like I continue to say, amazing, wonderful, magnificant.

I did go to Santa Maria Del Pi and was more impressed with that Church than the famous one. A tower with walls 10 feet thick, 700 years old, and survived a bombing and fire. You're absolutley right.

The famous "church" is what it is. Its paying some guy inside a mall to take a picture next to a Lamborghini Diablo. You slobber all over the car and use the pic for your facebook photo because its awesome. But then finding out the car had no engine. Still an awesome picture though.

I was impressed but still felt awkward. Maybe cheated was the wrong word. When I saw my mother and father in law praying like its the Sistine Chapel, it was strange to me.

Because my personal take is that it is an attraction that about 2.5 million people visit every year and pay an entrance fee, pay for an audio guide, an elevator fee, Souviners, etc.... It is a cash cow. I know the money is going to construction, but not all of it. Its a half a billion dollar a year endevour. They hold an occasional mass to call themselves a church.

With that being said, I still loved it and it was still amazing. As a Catholic who goes to Church at least 6 times a year, I didn't get a Holy or religous experience.

• 1 month later...

Archived