Crown Grill VS. Ultimate Balcony Dining

HydroAngel831

My husband and I are going to be celebrating our Anniversary on the Golden princess to Alaska. We want to have a special Anniversary dinner and are trying to decide between going to the Crown Grill or because we have a balcony this time doing the ultimate balcony dining for a more private celebration. I would like to know more about the Ultimate Dining experience and which would be a better date night dinner. We have been to the Crown Grill before on previous cruises and it was been wonderful every time. What are the opinions out there for either option and which would be better? Thank you very much.

My husband and I are going to be celebrating our Anniversary on the Golden princess to Alaska. We want to have a special Anniversary dinner and are trying to decide between going to the Crown Grill or because we have a balcony this time doing the ultimate balcony dining for a more private celebration. I would like to know more about the Ultimate Dining experience and which would be a better date night dinner. We have been to the Crown Grill before on previous cruises and it was been wonderful every time. What are the opinions out there for either option and which would be better? Thank you very much.

I think due to the ever changing weather you may want to do the Crown Grill. although they are both excellent! :)

The UBD is a must in warmer climates.;)

We're going to Alaska for our honeymoon next May, but after A LOT of research, we're going, not only with the Balcony Dinner, but the Balcony Breakfast also. Everyone has different opinions about the specialty restaurants, but I've read nothing but good things about the balcony meals. We figure if it's crappy weather, we can have it set up inside by the window. We want a couple romantic meals in the privacy of our room, and we're not going to let a little rain or cold ruin that. It'll still be fabulous, because it will be the 2 of us.:D

We're going to Alaska for our honeymoon next May, but after A LOT of research, we're going, not only with the Balcony Dinner, but the Balcony Breakfast also. Everyone has different opinions about the specialty restaurants, but I've read nothing but good things about the balcony meals. We figure if it's crappy weather, we can have it set up inside by the window. We want a couple romantic meals in the privacy of our room, and we're not going to let a little rain or cold ruin that. It'll still be fabulous, because it will be the 2 of us.:D

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Like you say, weather is not a factor.

We often have a couple of meals in our room. We love the peace and quiet and time alone. Just us and the scenery. And we are 65/80 years old. :D

i'm sure you will enjoy it. Like you say, weather is not a factor.

We often have a couple of meals in our room. We love the peace and quiet and time alone. Just us and the scenery. And we are 65/80 years old. :d

We can't wait!!!!

My personal perference would be the UBD for an anniversary celebration. The photo and flowers are a nice touch and it will be private and romantic. ;) What could be more beautiful than Alaskan scenery and it will be light until the wee hours of the morning.

DH and I are by no means seasoned cruisers. We cruise to relax. The places we visit don't mean alot. Last trip (only our 2nd) we did both Crown Grill and UBD (after reading reviews here). Crown Grill was very enjoyable. Food was good, service was good and atmosphere was nice. I can have a similiar experience at any good steak house in NY. UBD was exceptional! Food was good, service was good atmosphere was amazing! Our UBD was before sailing from Curacao. We had the view of the ocean and sunset. Floral arrangement lasted for a few days and a nice picture of DH and I sits on my dresser. Does not get any better than that! UBD is the first thing DH and I tell people about when they ask about our cruise.

UBD for sure!!!

Even if it is cool, raining, or windy you can always have it inside by the window.....

we have had several UBD inside due to sunburn, rain, too windy & many on our balcony....the food and service is always GREAT (a table is set up inside or out and even cushy chairs have been brought into our room)

(you do not have exactly what is on the UBC menu....last time for us in Mexico, we mixed it up a bit, having volcano sundaes , other proteins instead of a salad, I even ordered escargot!....some thing I never had the nerve to order, since we live in "SLUG" country:rolleyes:

UBD for sure for an anniversary. Romantic, flowers, champagne....all on the high seas. My husband and I are doing it for our 50th on the Emerald Trans Atlantic next spring. Can't wait.

What a great way to enjoy a Golden Anniversary...congratulations! :D

UBD gets my vote for romantic anniversary dinner. However, in Alaska you must be ready to accept whatever the weather throws at you!
I agree. It could be very cold on your balcony (not just chilly or windy, even in July and August) so as long as you're willing to eat in your cabin (not a lot of space), the UBD is best. There is a menu but you can modify that or ask for something else.

I'd vote for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner over the Crown Grill. There's also the Chef's Table to consider. It's another memorable meal.

My husband & I are cruising to celebrate our 30th anniversary. After reading the great reviews I can forsee a UBD in our future. Thank you to all who have written great advice!

I would get reservations for the Crown Grill and make the decision when you know the weather. If the weather is good, then nothing beats a nice meal on the balcony. We eat most of our breakfast there as well.

Burt

I would get reservations for the Crown Grill and make the decision when you know the weather. If the weather is good, then nothing beats a nice meal on the balcony. We eat most of our breakfast there as well.

Burt

That's a good option however the UBD is limited to only a couple per night & may not be available if waiting for the weather report which is in the Patter 48 hours in advance & not always accurate.

It may be better to select a day & to move inside if necessary to have it on their anniversary. But no matter how they do it, I hope they'll have just as great of an experience as we've had during our UBDs. :D

On our 40th anniversary, we renewed our vows onboard the ship and celebrated with our children at the Crown Grill. We had an excellent evening.

On another night we celebrated privately with the UBD. We were lucky to have good weather and our side of the ship was shady at that time. It was very romantic.

I don't envy you having to make a decision between the two. If at all possible do both!!:D

We'd have to vote for the UBD.

Our avatar is our 30th wedding anniversary (the actual anniversary day) picture off the aft balcony in the Med - not a backdrop.

Could not get any better than that...

Archived