Solstice - which way do the beds face?

cruiser9983

We are booked on the Solstice (cabin 1124 starboard on an angle) and I'm wondering which direction the bed faces. I know that the bed is near the balcony (rather than near the bath). Does this mean the bed "faces" the aft of the ship (while sleeping your head would be "forward" and your feet "aft") or vice versa?

Is there a consistent pattern for cabins with the bed near the balcony? If so, is it "reversed" for cabin on the port side?

The cabins alternate. One cabin has the bed by the bath, the next cabin has the bed by the balcony. Therefore, the direction the bed faces alternates also. We were in 9310 on Solstice. Our bed was by the bath, and when we lay in bed, we were looking forward. therefore, the cabins on either side of us would have had bed by balcony, and faces aft when in bed.

Another way to tell is if you have a connecting cabin, and 1124 is a connecting cabin. The doors on connecting cabins are adjacent, so when you enter the cabin, you will see the foot of the bed in front of you. A clear path to the verandah. You have a cabin that is not a quad, so your bed will be by the verandah, and the head of the bed will be forward, so when in bed, your feet will be pointing aft. EM

If you are concerned because you are affected by facing aft/backwards on a train or subway, dont worry about that on a ship. Ships do not accelerate enough to feel it. And you cant see the ocean through the veranda when you are laying down so you wont have any ques on forward movement. There is no feeling in relation to which way you are facing/laying.

Now, you May feel a bit of roll or pitch, but on an S-Class ship, you'd need a pretty good seastate to get any of that, and it wont matter which way you are facing/laying.

You Do want your bed on the opposite wall (normally called a bulkhead on a ship, but in reality, these are walls because they are temporary and not loadbearing -neat huh!) so you dont share a wall with another couple who you may hear while in bed. No reason to listen in while I tell my wife another sea story she knows I love to make up! That is improbable by the way because you normally don't hear anyone in the next SRs unless they are shouting...or yelling...but we'll leave that line alone!

enjoy!

Den

As a first time cruiser I had the same question and concerns as I get motion sickness driving backwards on train or bus.

After several cruises on the Solstice class ships (only ships I have been on), I can assure you it does not make a difference as you will not be aware of the direction the ship travels (except of course if you are looking at the waves or towards land). Once in your cabin and/or bed with drapes closed (or not if it is dark enough), you will not notice the direction.

You might notice slight up/downwards or sidewards movement if the sea is rough, but that is all.

I am the OP. Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. I do have motion sickness issues while riding on trains and facing backwards; however, I do understand that the ship does not move fast enough to cause that type of sensation. Frankly, I was just asking because I really do not care to sleep next to the balcony door and that will be "my" side of the bed. I know, seems silly :o.

I understand the cabins alternate with respect to the bed's position (by balcony or by the bathroom). So does that mean that if the bed is by the balcony, the bed will always face “backwards” whether the cabin is on the starboard or port side?

Thanks again to the experienced cruisers here.

It's been almost a year since our last cruise but if I remember correctly if your cabin is on the side of the ship the head of the bed will face forward. It does not matter if the bed is by the balcony or the bath.

Mary Lou

It's been almost a year since our last cruise but if I remember correctly if your cabin is on the side of the ship the head of the bed will face forward. It does not matter if the bed is by the balcony or the bath.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou, I think that is in error. All the SRs on the side of the shp or interior basically alternate between facing forward then aft. Beds do not all face one way (foward).

One reason for this is the bathroom facilities. SRs usually share the same wall so their wastepipes and waterfeeds are combined/inline for entry. Take a look at the SR layout of one of the standard SRs on Celebrity website, then picture the SR on each side. One will have the BR on the same wall, and the other SR will have the door near your SR with the walkway straight on through to the Veranda. The beds therefore have to alternate, until there is a break in SRs along the side of the ship.

Den

On S Class ships the beds have to alternate between balcony and bath in order to fit them in. Only part of the cabin is wide enough to take the length of the bed so you either get wide by the bath or wide by the balcony.

This would suggest that all beds in the same position face the same way but unfortunately this arrangement reverses when you reach an obstacle (for example, when you reach the lift well 'hump').

You therefore need to know a bit more detail about where the cabin is.

Have a look on the cabin compilation sticky, you should be able to work it out even if your cabin is not on there.

[

I understand the cabins alternate with respect to the bed's position (by balcony or by the bathroom). So does that mean that if the bed is by the balcony, the bed will always face “backwards” whether the cabin is on the starboard or port side?

Our experience after several Solstice class cruises : On the port side, the beds close to balcony face forward, i.e. feet forward.

On the starboard side, feet backward. For the other cabins with the bed close to bath (which alternate with beds close to balcony), exactly opposite.

We are booked on the Solstice (cabin 1124 starboard on an angle) and I'm wondering which direction the bed faces. I know that the bed is near the balcony (rather than near the bath). Does this mean the bed "faces" the aft of the ship (while sleeping your head would be "forward" and your feet "aft") or vice versa?

Is there a consistent pattern for cabins with the bed near the balcony? If so, is it "reversed" for cabin on the port side?

OP, there is a "sticky" thread where past cruisers of the S-Class discuss their rooms. You may find your answers there. In the Celebrity board look for the following sticky topic: S-Class Cabin Information Compilation.

After opening thread, do a search for your room number.

As a first time cruiser I had the same question and concerns as I get motion sickness driving backwards on train or bus.

After several cruises on the Solstice class ships (only ships I have been on), I can assure you it does not make a difference as you will not be aware of the direction the ship travels (except of course if you are looking at the waves or towards land). Once in your cabin and/or bed with drapes closed (or not if it is dark enough), you will not notice the direction.

You might notice slight up/downwards or sidewards movement if the sea is rough, but that is all.

Exactly.

Our experience after several Solstice class cruises : On the port side, the beds close to balcony face forward, i.e. feet forward.

On the starboard side, feet backward. For the other cabins with the bed close to bath (which alternate with beds close to balcony), exactly opposite.

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I did try to Solstice "sticky", but did no find any info on the bed's position.

I am the OP. Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. I do have motion sickness issues while riding on trains and facing backwards; however, I do understand that the ship does not move fast enough to cause that type of sensation. Frankly, I was just asking because I really do not care to sleep next to the balcony door and that will be "my" side of the bed. I know, seems silly :o.

We had a stateroom on the equinox (1068) deck 10 with the bed by the balcony and the head of our bed faced forward for whatever that info is worth ….. In all I think you will be just fine in your cabin.

Have a fantastic cruise :D

Archived