Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

Some of you folks make it sound as if you are only booking suites to get the free unlimited internet. If what you want is unlimited internet, book a less expensive cabin and buy all the internet minutes you need.

Besides, who goes on vacation so they can spend 24/7 on the internet? I can do that at home. ;)

I am happy to pay for Internet access as I need it for work - not all of us are able to drop it all even for a 7 day cruise.

I think you are reading more into the posts than what is there.

The internet perk is just the latest jab in a long list.

I could not agree more with Coral's statement:

"Bash me if you choose. I used to be a huge supporter (maybe even a cheerleader) of Princess but over the last few years, I have definitely changed my thoughts. Cruising on Princess no longer has the magic it used to and it no longer is the value I once considered it to be. I no longer want to feel like I am being herded by cattle which is what my last few cruises made me feel like."

I don't care for an a la carte cruise experience personaly.

Mike:)

Friends of ours are about to go on a Seabourne Cruise. Considerably more expensive than princess. They are already complaining that the included drinks are wasted on them because they don't drink alcohol and that the excursions are phenomenally expensive! If you thought princess excursions are expensive check seaborne out!

Most people who choose a suite are not going to change their mind over the Internet issue. This type of customer is paying the price for a suite for many reasons other than free Internet. And I would believe that suite passengers Re repeat Princess customers who already have some free Internet time coming.

Just why would Princess do this? Examine a couple of facts;

1. Satellite is the only type available on a cruise ship

2. Satellite has limited bandwidth available for each ship

3. With the advent of smart phones that remain connected 24/7 as well as those with laptops, I pads, netbooks, etc that are accustomed to leaving them connected to the internet 24/7 as well, too much bandwidth is being consumed all the time with the result being slower internet for everyone.

4. With unlimited free internet, what is the incentive to disconnect? Many people do not understand that there is a major difference between what their land based system is like compared to the satellite system on a ship.

With about 26 suites on a ship like the Emerald, this eliminates the free benefit for about 52 people on a ship with 3080 lower berth capacity plus over 1000 crew members.

I am skeptical that eliminating this for 52 people will greatly help with the system capacity limitations.

In addition, although suite passengers may have a gaggle of devices that can connect to the internet, each suite passenger can only have one of these devices connected at a time.

The limited amount of bandwidth available is just not condusive to free/unlimited internet. Each time another person gets on' date=' performance decreases. With no limits they may be Skyping or streaming video, both of which take a big bite out of the bandwidth.[/quote']

Skype is blocked on most Princess ships.

Streaming video speeds would be so slow as to be useless.

Respectfully, I think you have it backwards. The rate hike is forgone by asking those that actually want the product to pay for it, rather than asking all of us to pay for somethign that only some use. By paying the very high, never discounted fares that a suite commands, they are paying for it.

If your interested in a rate increase you could simply purcahse an internet package, kind of seems like the same result for you (a rate hike) without punishing those that don't care about it by making them pay for it.:confused: That logic says eliminate the suite benefit of a Sabitini's breakfast and let those who want it pay extra for it; eliminate the suite benefit of nightly canapes and let those who order them pay for it; eliminate the suite benefit of flowers and let those who want flowers pay for it. Eliminate the bar set-up and let those who want this pay for it.

Truth is, I'd rather them charge those that want it and keep my costs down so I can pay for what I want to pay for. Yes, I am actually in favor of LOW cruise fares and a-la-carte extras. Maybe I would rather pay for a soda card, a day at the sanctuary, more alcohol, a specialty restaruant... I'd rather not pay for interent, in the form of a rate increase or a package, and use my money for what "I" enjoy. The internet is not neccessary for me when on vacation, not neccessary enough to pay for anyways. I do not drink coffee. Thus those who drink coffee in a restaurant, the buffet or from room service should pay for it. Why should my fare subsidize those who drink coffee?

There are crusie lines that are "all inclusive" and cost significantly more for those that prefer that type of thing. For me, I like to pay for what I use and not what others use.

On a seperate note, those that have mentioned the exponetial increse in data useage are probably on to something. The cruise lline had a certain cost at one point for that free interent. Now with people using laptops, iPads, and smart phones all at the same time to download, play and work they are changing what "free unlimited interent" really means. The cost for this perk has probably gotten out of control and they have no choice but to do something about it. No matter how many internet capable devices one has, an onboard user can only sign on to the internet with one device at a time.

see above in red

Has there been a clear answer regarding the question of a fixed number of complimentary internet minutes is part of the new Suite benefit package?

I like the suggestion that since Elite and Platinum get some free minutes, the suite could come with a similar amount. If an Elite or Platinum books a suite, the number doubles.

As far as the post regarding RCI new internet experiment goes, this means launching a new satellite which will cover only a specific area of the Caribbean. There has been no estimate of the amount of increased cost to their passengers, but since this is an extremely expensive project, I can safely predict that their will be an internet cost increase.

The average person has no idea of the challenge or cost of providing internet at sea. Just do a little research regarding satellite internet prices. :eek:

This was my thought as well and seems the most reasonable.

Honestly, the issue I would have would be the lack of retrogression. Although Princess is allowed to by the contract, changing the terms by which people booked is a little tacky (of course you could make the case they shouldn't get new benefits either).

I like the suggestion that since Elite and Platinum get some free minutes, the suite could come with a similar amount. If an Elite or Platinum books a suite, the number doubles.

:eek:

I am upset over how this was handled more than I am the elimination of the perk. I don't see how they can let you book one thing and just change in mid-stream without notification. I think they should have to honor the contract we signed with them????

I am upset over how this was handled more than I am the elimination of the perk. I don't see how they can let you book one thing and just change in mid-stream without notification. I think they should have to honor the contract we signed with them????

Seems to be a pattern EH? :eek:

Just heard back fro my TA. He says that he is now awaiting a call from Princess upper management and will get back to me early next week.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

If I had a suite booked, I'd be slightly upset. Anyone who can afford to sail in a suite can afford the extra for the Internet.

But since I have never sailed in a suite and never will (unless we get a massive gift from the Upgrade Fairy), this doesn't affect me.

I agree.

After a 15 minute hold, I did talk to a gal and she did not know but took five minutes to go talk to a supervisor and came back and said yes it was true. She could care less - she said you still have your elite minutes".

And what about people like me? This is our first Princess cruise so I now get no minutes. I am not an Internet junkie but somehow my first experience with Princess is not a good one. I feel cheated out of something that was promised.

If I had a suite booked, I'd be slightly upset. Anyone who can afford to sail in a suite can afford the extra for the Internet.

But since I have never sailed in a suite and never will (unless we get a massive gift from the Upgrade Fairy), this doesn't affect me.

I'm in a suite for the first, and probably only time, due to taking advantage of a pricing glitch. To say that "I" can afford it, is making assumptions that should not be made.

The lack of Internet in the list was mentioned several weeks ago, but no one was upset then, why now?

It would be nice to have access, but I surely can, and have managed without it before.

They should take ownership, make a visible announcement and stand alongside their decision, whatever the reason behind it. Communication continues to be an issue for Princess.

This is my complaint as well. Princess should not eliminate this perk for people who have already booked a suite. Dinner on embarkation night in a specialty restaurant - NO.

And what about people like me? This is our first Princess cruise so I now get no minutes. I am not an Internet junkie but somehow my first experience with Princess is not a good one. I feel cheated out of something that was promised.

This is exactly how I feel! Cheated!!!

I don't think that is necessarily true. Some people might save a long time & budget in such a way that allows them them to treat themselves to a suite. Well I wouldn't book a suite because of all the perks, that doesn't mean that other people who book suites are wrong or can afford a lot of extras. Just like people who book inside cabins, doesn't mean they can't afford more. People have different preferences when they travel and that's way there are so many cabin choices.

The lack of Internet in the list was mentioned several weeks ago, but no one was upset then, why now?

Because then some people on a ship or just back reported they still had the free internet in their suite. Thus, everyone assumed it was an accidental omission from the list.

The Carnival Circus Lads have done it again. They do not think out their marketing ideas such as free internet, never thinking that it would come home to haunt them in usage. Just as they didn't think out that offering Sabatini's breakfast to the Elite would overtake the staff and that too had to be rescinded. They don't seem to understand that it's not unlike giving a dog a bone.....just try taking it away from him. We bite.

Archived