Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

I am on an upcoming Alaskan cruise August in a suite with my parents. This will be the first holiday post my mom suffering a ruptured brain aneurysm followed by a stroke. It is a miracle she survived at all and although she does not require a wheelchair, she does have limited mobility and aphasia.We booked a suite NOT because I am so rich that I can easily afford it but because we wanted this trip to be a special and comfortable experience. (Three of us have to be in the same cabin so I can assist her, we thought a standard balcony would be too crowded and a mini suite has a bathtub/shower combo which would make things difficult). This would not have changed my decision to book a suite but I do think it is bad business practice. And for all those commenting that people who book a suite can afford to pay for internet, for us this probably means no internet at all. We are spending a fortune travelling from across the world and with an exchange rate of 8 to the dollar and what we are already spending on this cruise and excursions we have to be quite picky on what we spend on.

I have no doubt we will still have a wonderful time (after all, we are there to see Alaska!), but I must admit it feels slightly less special.

You know, I find all of this a bunch of claptrap. Some people book insides and others book suites. If we choose to book a suite for whatever reason, that's our business and no one else's whether it be a once in a lifetime cruise or because we go once a year or because we like a bigger cabin. The reality is that Princess advertised that when booked and paid for a suite we would get unlimited internet. What we want to use it for is no ones business but our own. Perhaps some of you won't agree, but if you purchase a car and you pay in full and you are supposed to get a spare tire or a rebate and the dealer then tells you "No we've changed the rules, you don't get that" perhaps you'd be upset. Well, that's how we feel. We have a cruise booked for 14 months from now (no, we don't go 4 or 5 times a year) and if Princess wants to change the rules before we have paid in full, I understand that and have the option to change my plans accordingly. Like the person who has air, pre-cruise and post-cruise arrangements booked so do we. To change all that w/i the final payment period is costly. I still believe this is a very poor business practice.

I totally agree with you. I've never been in a suite and, since I usually cruise solo and pay the single supplement, I probably never will be. However, if I bought something and paid for it, I would expect to get it. Someone at Princess has made some real bonehead decisions lately (suite internet, staggered boarding, food cut backs, balcony furniture, and FCC cuts). I wonder if they have made management changes recently. They are making some really poor business decisions.

It is no longer listed in the amenities of suites which has recently been changed to include a free dinner at a speciality restaurant on the first night:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

-----

While I have cruised in suites previously, I have not recently. I did spend 3 weeks on the Sapphire recently (in a mini suite that cost me significantly more then I have paid in the past) and after the cruise, I realized that Princess is no longer the line for me. It is the gradual cuts over the years that made me realize that "Princess cruising" is not what it used to be. I have to say that we had excellent service in many areas on the ship. The wait staff was great, our room steward was great, etc... But it is the overall cuts (over the years) that no longer makes me feel the same way I used to about cruising. Some of them are small things and some are items that may not mean much to some, other things are things that I don't like (MUTS blaring during the day). I realize that all mid-line cruise lines are going through similar cuts and it is entirely possible I wouldn't be happy on those lines either so I had already decided to take a break from cruising and do land based trips. I may end up on a Princess ship in the future, if my mom wants to go one more time (cruising is something that I have done with my mom) but it wouldn't be my choice.

A few of the cuts that have annoyed me are dining room menu cuts (and lack of changing menus like other lines have), loss of lunch on port day cuts, the new very uncomfortable furniture on my balcony which made it very uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time when I had 4 glacier days with Princess recently, the lack of food in the buffet around 3:30 (it was extremely minimal - the buffet was closed and the area outside of the buffet that they built had very minimal food), the increased demands on the staff to do more and to be pushed to a point where service is lacking (not their fault), decrease space ratio on their newer ships, etc... My cruise on the Crown Princess was so crowded and there were so many lines that I have specifically avoided those ships the past few years.

I could go on. I am paying more for my cruises then I did before. I am getting less then what I used to get. It may not affect some, but it affects me.

I sold my Carnival stock when I returned from my cruise last month as I didn't see a need for it in the future as I don't expect to be using that perk in the future.

As far as the internet issue - Princess can pay more for better bandwidth (even with satellite) -they can do this. I am tired of people saying "it is slow because it is satellite". It is slow because they are choosing not to pay more for more internet bandwidth, though charging a high fee for their internet. Heck, in 2002 or so, Princess only charged .35/per minute for internet. Technology has gotten cheaper and Princess increases their rates.

I read recently that RCCL is greatly increasing their internet speed on one of their ships as a trial bases ( http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4885 ) .

Bash me if you choose. I used to be a huge supporter (maybe even a cheerleader) of Princess but over the last few years, I have definitely changed my thoughts. Cruising on Princess no longer has the magic it used to and it no longer is the value I once considered it to be. I no longer want to feel like I am being herded by cattle which is what my last few cruises made me feel like.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Like you said other lines are going through their cuts but I too have grown tired of cruising in general because of all the changes since we started cruising 21 years ago.

I used to get excited like a kid at Christmas right before the cruise bit the last couple, nada. Didn't even pull any clothes out to pack until the night before.

I was quite disappointed in February when I learned the Bistro was no longer open as I'm a night owl and would go there every night on previous cruises.

Sorry but the International Cafe just didn't compare.

Bill

I am surprised that a few people said they would miss the slippers. We were in our first suite last month. The slippers were cheesy. They put two pairs of slippers the same size in our cabin. Neither fit us. Mine way too big and too small for my husband. I suppose we could have asked if they had different sizes but we felt the slippers were not worth the effort. Maybe they have downgraded the quality? We felt the quality was what one might find in the dollar store.

Great ideas from Princess this year:

a) Staggered boarding

b) No longer permit online booking of shore excursions for people traveling with you who are in a different cabin from yours

c) Eliminate ports from cruise itineraries for "operational reasons" (dropping ports to add a sea day from itineraies in the Greek Islands, other Med cruises, Gulf of Mexico out of Galveston)

d) Eliminate what many suite passengers consider one of the best perks for spending so much for a cabin

e) Eliminated Caribbean itineraries during the summer months

f) Reduced the amount of OBC associated with the puruchasse of an FCC

g) Eliminated the 24hr buffet

h) Eliminated escargot

i) A failed attempt to change the deck furniture

j) Reduced the shows to 30 min

The only change that stops me from booking a cruise with Princess is E. That is the only time of the year that works for us for a family trip. We prefer warm weather beach activities. The bottom line is if the ship doesn't sail to the destination you want all of the other things mean nothing. If anyone would like to start a list of positive changes I would be interested in reading them.

Adding to the list -

a) Staggered boarding

b) No longer permit online booking of shore excursions for people traveling with you who are in a different cabin from yours

c) Eliminate ports from cruise itineraries for "operational reasons" (dropping ports to add a sea day from itineraies in the Greek Islands, other Med cruises, Gulf of Mexico out of Galveston)

d) Eliminate what many suite passengers consider one of the best perks for spending so much for a cabin

h) Eliminated escargot

k) Eliminated free internet for suite passengers

l) Crab legs no longer on Alaskan menus

m) Other reduced items on menu and reduced quality of food (our beef quality was awful on the sapphire)

n) Dining room closed on port days for lunch

o) Change in coffee cards (while I understand, it still changed from how it was presented)

p) All if these new sales that have non-refundable deposits

Perhaps the Suite Internet perk was being abused by those "loaning" their logon password to family & friends. Just like other perks, it they get abused, they go bye bye.. Maybe Princess will reconsider and change the Suite Internet perk to something like 20 hours per cabin for each 7 day segment. This in addition to the free Internet for Platinum members should be plenty..

I can see, because of the smartphone explosion and the inability of those users to function without staring at a 4 inch screen, the free internet hours being lowered in the future or done away with completely.

Wondering what internet perks the other cruise lines have?

That makes sence..

The internet is so slow they had to do something to stop the over usage. People who are addicted to the internet and sit on it all day probably made Princess rethink their policy. It seems to me they could give suites a set amount of time like they do for platinum and elites and thereby cut the usage people in suites had but still allow them time to check their email or flights. I think the dinner the first night at the specialty restaurant is fabulous and would look forward to it. I cruise to enjoy all the cruise has to offer and don't need much internet, like I said, just email and check my flights.

Adding to the list -

a) Staggered boarding

h) Eliminated escargot

m) Other reduced items on menu and reduced quality of food (our beef quality was awful on the sapphire)

o) Change in coffee cards (while I understand, it still changed from how it was presented)

Also the removal of the blue balcony mats on several ships.

The internet is so slow they had to do something to stop the over usage. People who are addicted to the internet and sit on it all day probably made Princess rethink their policy. It seems to me they could give suites a set amount of time like they do for platinum and elites and thereby cut the usage people in suites had but still allow them time to check their email or flights. I think the dinner the first night at the specialty restaurant is fabulous and would look forward to it. I cruise to enjoy all the cruise has to offer and don't need much internet, like I said, just email and check my flights.

It's my understanding that the first nights dinner being added is just like the special breakfast each morning in that other family members sailing with you who are staying in a cabin other than a suite can not join you. With that said how many people would take advantage of the offer and leave their children, parents or other family to eat alone?

I'd be surprised if anyone traveling with family would.

Also the removal of the blue balcony mats on several ships.

a) Staggered boarding

h) Eliminated escargot

q) Also the removal of the blue balcony mats on several ships

r) Travel Agents are no longer allowed to advertise discounted prices.

A thread like this will show if Princess people (higher ups) actually read CC and are prepared to listen to feedback from their suite passengers. Common sense says they should but common sense is in short supply these days.

Based on my research I would guess in the area of $36.00 not counting overhead..

On my recent Princess 16 day cruise I used 252 minutes (many of which were spent just waiting for something to happen), less than 16 minutes a day. The Megabyte usage was 142.24

I am not sure what that 142.24 MB cost Princess.

Sabatini's breakfast was never an Elite perk!

As stated by the service staff aboard the Emerald it was tried and was too overwhelming and therefore dropped. Unless you are a representative of Princess I choose to believe those who are.

Well, all I can say is that I'm certainly going to be well fed on departure night on my next cruise. We are in a suite, so we have dinner covered for us that night. We also use AmEx Platinum and get dinner in Sabatini's the first night with that. It seems that someone needs to make a change here and allow us to book one of these (I don't care which) on another night. I might even forget about both dinners, as I like to get acquainted with my dining staff that first night. Decisions, decisions, decisions. . .

As a suite passenger, we book a suite for the perks as well as the space. We do not even use close to 250 minutes on a 14 day cruise and most minutes work related and live postings on CC and researching a new booking to book onboard. Princess internet packages in my opinion a better value than other lines. I will miss the slippers the most if not provided and the glass of champagne on embarkation? The perks that come with the suite are nice, but the space, jacuzzi tub, balcony & balcony furniture cannot be beat.

As long as they do not take away in room dining. There is more to cruising than the internet.

Therein lies the barb. The loss of internet is deemed of little or no concern. To us, in room dining is deemed of little or no concern so should they decide to remove it, so be it, I'm OK Jack

Maybe Princess intends to expand on the fine print in the Passage Contract by taking out the word wireless.

"Carrier may, but is not required to, make wireless Internet or telephone access (“Wireless Services”) available as a convenience; Carrier accepts no responsibility for interruptions in its service."

I cruise Princess because it's my favorite, not for the perks. I am platinum and appreciate the priority boarding and so many minutes of free internet. Since my DH doesn't like to travel or cruise, I cruise with my girlfriend. Thus I use the internet to keep in touch with my DH, so nice to have the free minutes. If they stop that I will buy an interned package so I can continue to keep in touch, no big deal. We hate cell phones and choose not to have them, thus we communicate via email. My friend is elite, thus we have some free booze, but never use it all as we aren't big drinkers. We prefer the bar cocktails which aren't in our room!

We have never used the specialty dining rooms as we think it's a waste of money. We have always been pleased with the meals in the MDR so why pay more elsewhere? Eating isn't our priority.

We also enjoy the variety shows with the Princess dancers and will continue to enjoy them no matter how long they are. We don't go to any of the other shows.

We love being on the water, meeting new folks, seeing new places, especially on our recent European cruises. We feel that at our age that is the best way for us to see as much of the world as we can. We just don't care for the land travel anymore. And we love Princess! If there were no perks we would still cruise with Princess.

As stated by the service staff aboard the Emerald it was tried and was too overwhelming and therefore dropped. Unless you are a representative of Princess I choose to believe those who are.

I was on one of the first cruises after Sabatinis was added as a suite perk and the Passenger Services Director(now Hotel general Manager)told me that the perk was discussed as an Elite benefit and it was decided in Santa Clarita that since there were so many Elites that it would not be feasible.As he is a representative of Princess and a bit higher up the food chain than a member of the service staff,I tend to believe him!

I was on one of the first cruises after Sabatinis was added as a suite perk and the Passenger Services Director(now Hotel general Manager)told me that the perk was discussed as an Elite benefit and it was decided in Santa Clarita that since there were so many Elites that it would not be feasible.As he is a representative of Princess and a bit higher up the food chain than a member of the service staff,I tend to believe him!

Perhaps the esteemed director can explain why it was actually tried aboard the Emerald and subsequently rejected. Personally I find the higher I go in the "food chain" of Princess management the more suspect the response.

Perhaps the esteemed director can explain why it was actually tried aboard the Emerald and subsequently rejected. Personally I find the higher I go in the "food chain" of Princess management the more suspect the response.

Were you there to actually see this happen?The PSD runs the ship and everything, no matter how insignificant, goes thru him or her.Could the headwaiter have misread the memo?Princess know how many Elites they have and they know that Sabatinis could never serve that many passengers especially on the older ships.Imagine trying to fit all the elites on the Grand class ships.Since we are discussing the elimination of benefits and the ensuing results,why would Princese ever try something they knew they could not sustain.I have found that the information I get from staff is many times second or third hand and should be taken that way.I will continue to believe the man in charge!

Sabatini's breakfast was never an Elite perk!

On our recent (May/June) cruise to the Greek Isles on the Crown the sign outside of Sabatini's in the morning said breakfast was for Elite and Suite holders.

On our recent (May/June) cruise to the Greek Isles on the Crown the sign outside of Sabatini's in the morning said breakfast was for Elite and Suite holders.

I'm assuming that they also notified you in you cabin the first day that it was available. It could have been that there weren't to many Elites on board for your cruise.

I'm assuming that they also notified you in you cabin the first day that it was available. It could have been that there weren't to many Elites on board for your cruise.

After I wrote that I remembered on formal night that the Capt. gave out frequent cruisers awards and the first place couple had an outrageous amount of cruises (I forget how many) and the 2nd place had 12. So, obviously, there was only one elite couple cruising.

There were very few people having breakfast in Sabatini's on that cruise. Maybe they ate early and we mostly ate around 9.

That is a perk I would be majorly upset about if they took it away. ;)

Archived