Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

the key point here is that Princess "pays" for this service. It costs them cash to pay the vendor. Its cash out of their pocket, whereas giving suite passengers a free dinner at a specialty restaraunt the first day, probably the slowest day of the cruise, doesn't really "cost" them anything other than food costs - labor is already accounted for and paid for.

The cost of the internet and of every other suite "perk" is built into the price of a suite, a price that is never discounted by Princess. So it is cash out of pocket that Princess already was charging for.

The 1st night's "free" dinner is wrong on several levels. It cannot be used if:

o The passengers are so tired after travel that they want to sleep, not eat dinner at any restaurant;

o If the passenger has a dietary restriction (example: no added salt) that requires 24 hours notice for proper preparation;

o If the passenger was part of a group having a special celebration that evening and did not want to skip it;

o If the passengers already have a free first night specialty restaurant dinner through another promotion;

o If the passengers were looking forward to the regular dining room menu on the first evening

Basically, many suite passengers will not use this "added" benefit because it is restricted to an evening they may not want to use it on.

As someone else mentioned, Princess has held the line on fuel surcharges. How long has the price been above $70 per barrel?

Every competitor in the market Princess is aiming for also has not added the fuel surcharge. The world economy is a big influence on this. Pricing for most type cabins has been slashed for European cruises, Alaska cruises, and more in order to fill up the ships. A fuel surcharge would result in less bookings and thus less profit. I am certain that if direct competitors start implementing a fuel surcharge, so will Princess (to new bookings only).

See above in red

My final payment for my Panama Canal suite is in 2 weeks. While yes, I'm a platinum and should survive just fine with my free minutes, my traveling companion is a blue card...she will be without!

No, the elmination of free internet will not cause me to cancel my cruise, or rebook into a lower category. There are a lot of other suite benefits (well, as of today; tomorrow might be a different story) that I'm looking forward to.

Will I prepay for an internet package for her and get the bonus minutes? Probably, but I'm not going to make that decision until only a few weeks before the cruise. I'm hoping Princess decides they have swung the pendulum a bit too far and come back with a compromise, say a bundle of free minutes for suite passengers.

I agree. Of course all cruise lines monitor their respective boards. It's crazy to think they don't. It might be best for people who continually "get over" to quit posting it on here. No doubt the next bombshell will be about bringing alcohol onboard. Though I have yet to go on my cruise yet, after following CC, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people over the changes & cutbacks. It's almost like daring Princess to do something when you brag about cruising tricks. I agree that whoever is already locked into their suite should get the free internet, but really, it was a perk & not an entitlement.[/quote

Disagree. It's not a perk -- it's part of the contract between Princess and its Suite Passengers.

Where the heck in the Passenger Contract does it state that Suite passengers get free internet????? Please post the verbiage from the actual Passenger Contract that we all receive, not the separate PDF on the Princess website. Thanks

I agree. Of course all cruise lines monitor their respective boards. It's crazy to think they don't. It might be best for people who continually "get over" to quit posting it on here. No doubt the next bombshell will be about bringing alcohol onboard. Though I have yet to go on my cruise yet, after following CC, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people over the changes & cutbacks. It's almost like daring Princess to do something when you brag about cruising tricks. I agree that whoever is already locked into their suite should get the free internet, but really, it was a perk & not an entitlement.[/quote

Disagree. It's not a perk -- it's part of the contract between Princess and its Suite Passengers.

I couldn't find anyone on the open market who was offering that for data, voice yes, but not data. Part of the issue is that Princess has to use different satellites for different ships at different times (i.e the Coral is probably on one sat in alaska and a different one while doing Canal runs) so they may not be able to lock in a channel committment like that. Note that RCCL is only trying something on a ship with one general route.

Part of

I've done satellite contracts generally and we were always purchasing our own transponder, e.g. satellite 12345, transponder X, frequency Y. And it was fixed price for time.

Now maybe your point is that marine internet guys buy those contracts and sublicense them with data caps to Princess, etc.... I just thought Carnival as a whole (CCL PLC) might be big enough that it might rent some transponders by themselves...

Actually. its not a contract. When you purchase a suite, you are purchasing passage in a given class of cabin plus food and open activities on specific dates. That's it. Everything else on the ship is an amenity, legally speaking. You could argue implied contract, and might even win, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk.

Specifically (my emphasis in bold):

"“Cruise Fare” means the amount payable by You to Carrier for Your Cruise. It covers the Cruise, scheduled meals and accommodations while on board, air programs and/or other travel components that Carrier may add to Your Cruise Fare and charge to Your stateroom account and/or credit card."

amenir

So the change to free internet in the Internet Cafe only was made clear as early as November?

No.

In time order:

Princess listed suite benefits to include free internet only in the Internet Cafe

Princess issued a new list which then included the fact that free internet was both in the internet Cafe and with wi-fi

Princess issued a newer list which eliminates the wi-fi benefit entirely

At no point was a list issued saying Internet Cafe and wi-fi that was superceded by a list saying only in the Internet Cafe.

I can't imagine the sharing of minutes by suite passengers has brought on this curtailment. ( I have never done it or heard of it until now)

There are 20-26 suites per ship so how many folks are they going to share with? I would guess most of these wouldn't know anyone else onboard.

Conversely there are probably 1000-1500 onboard with soft drink stickers on their cruise cards if you want to talk about sharing. And I have seen that abused many times.

Mike:(

Where the heck in the Passenger Contract does it state that Suite passengers get free internet????? Please post the verbiage from the actual Passenger Contract that we all receive, not the separate PDF on the Princess website. Thanks

It is implicit in the language that Princess used when selling their suites. Maybe you don't like the word contract, but to me, if they are advertising unlimited free Internet usage with the suites, and if I paid in full months ago for my suite, only to find out that I no longer get Internet useage with my suite, then they have breached their original contract with me as a paying passenger.

For example, on another cruise line, the line charges a premium for certain cabins to indulge in a spa experience -- unlimited use of certain spa facilities for the duration of the cruise ... If a passenger were to book one of those premium cabins with the expecation of using unlimited spa facilities, only to be told right before sailing, "Oh, we're not honoring that anymore," then the cruise line would have breached said contract since they were charging a premium for that particular accommodation AND since they now were not promising what was delivered. Also, on this particular cruise line, the Spa cabins are nearly identical to the much cheaper non spa cabins, so to eliminate a promised benefit would be akin to a bait and switch.

If Princess advertised unlimited Internet with a full suite as part of their advertising campaign to book a suite, and if you've paid for your cruise already, then Princess should honor this.

]I can't imagine the sharing of minutes by suite passengers has brought on this curtailmen[/b]t. ( I have never done it or heard of it until now)

There are 20-26 suites per ship so how many folks are they going to share with? I would guess most of these wouldn't know anyone else onboard.

Conversely there are probably 1000-1500 onboard with soft drink stickers on their cruise cards if you want to talk about sharing. And I have seen that abused many times.

I SO agree with this. I wonder what the response would be if suddenly Princess decided to take away everyone's OBC's right before the commencement of their cruise? After all, when booking that was one of the enticements to get one to book, not unlike the enticement of free internet for booking a full suite.

As I noted earlier - you could make the argument for implicit contract, but the actual language of the contract precludes a direct claim (see my quote above) - on the other line, assuming a similar contract, they could make the change you proscribed as well and still be technically within their legal rights. You might do better with a claim of false advertising, but then again you would have to go to arbitration, since you have given up your rights to sue in most cases by agreeing to the contract.

As I said before, the Cruise Contract is NOT written in the Passenger's favor in any way, as it pretty much allows the line to do as they please (they can deny boarding for almost any reason without refund, for example, or forced arbitration, or dropped ports or changed itineraries at their discretion without compensation). Do not look at it as a blueprint for preserving your rights, its a blueprint on how they can take you to the cleaners if they want. The term contract is legally correct but functionally deceptive in that you have no rights to negotiate it.

It is implicit in the language that Princess used when selling their suites. Maybe you don't like the word contract, but to me, if they are advertising unlimited free Internet usage with the suites, and if I paid in full months ago for my suite, only to find out that I no longer get Internet useage with my suite, then they have breached their original contract with me as a paying passenger.

For example, on another cruise line, the line charges a premium for certain cabins to indulge in a spa experience -- unlimited use of certain spa facilities for the duration of the cruise ... If a passenger were to book one of those premium cabins with the expecation of using unlimited spa facilities, only to be told right before sailing, "Oh, we're not honoring that anymore," then the cruise line would have breached said contract since they were charging a premium for that particular accommodation AND since they now were not promising what was delivered. Also, on this particular cruise line, the Spa cabins are nearly identical to the much cheaper non spa cabins, so to eliminate a promised benefit would be akin to a bait and switch.

If Princess advertised unlimited Internet with a full suite as part of their advertising campaign to book a suite, and if you've paid for your cruise already, then Princess should honor this.

See above in red

Giving away a free night, especially the first night, in a specialty restaraunt as a tradeoff for $100's of dollars in internet usage is a pretty good trade from the bottom line's point of view.

If Princess is paying for the data transfer, even in bulk, the suite pricing may not have kept up with data hungry tablets, smartphones and laptops that are kept constantly on. Couple of hundred dollars here, couple of hundred dollars there, for 20+ suites. Now we're talking real cash...but on the other hand the suites almost always sell out first, so demand is relatively high and pricing stable, and I doubt much of it will hinge on free internet. They probably are rolling the same dice... the change will not discourage many people and they will save a nice chunk of change.

I'm not defending their position, and I most certainly expect more cuts to come in the next few years, but I can understand it from their point of view.

Once more unto the breach dear friends...

While it has been my position to state that Princess builds into the selling price of the Suites the full costs of full Internet usage, I have been reminded that Princess does not sell Suites, they give them away. Having been the recipient of this gesture on more than one occasion we can well understand this point. All and any cost associate with a complimentary upgrade to a Suite is born by Princess and hence the need to sharpen this pencil. That said, if the price of a Suite was brought in line to say double that of a balcony there would likely be no vacant Suites available for upgrade. This "selling" price would include only those items that will result in a favourable return such as perhaps a 250 minutes maximum Internet time and any other complimentary benefit that would support this selling price.

I SO agree with this. I wonder what the response would be if suddenly Princess decided to take away everyone's OBC's right before the commencement of their cruise? After all, when booking that was one of the enticements to get one to book, not unlike the enticement of free internet for booking a full suite.
OBC's are probably not a good example as some are given by TAs and some are for stock ownership which specifically say you get the OBC. :(

me too.

Can you imagine if they took the free laundry or even the free internet minutes away from elite.

Once more unto the breach dear friends...

While it has been my position to state that Princess builds into the selling price of the Suites the full costs of full Internet usage, I have been reminded that Princess does not sell Suites, they give them away. Having been the recipient of this gesture on more than one occasion we can well understand this point. All and any cost associate with a complimentary upgrade to a Suite is born by Princess and hence the need to sharpen this pencil.

Or if the unlimited internet was not given to those who were upgraded to a suite, then those who paid for a suite should be able to keep that benefit, correct?

me too.

Can you imagine if they took the free laundry or even the free internet minutes away from elite.

They have already reduced the free internet minutes for Platinum and Elite. It used to be unlimited.

When it comes to Princess cuts, it is not just the suites who are effected. Princess is doing a number of cuts onboard their ships. This time, it is the suites and internet. Recently, it dealt with entertainment. A few months ago it dealt with FCC and OBC. Before that was Horizon Court (24 hours cut) and Dining Room Service at Lunch in port. Throw in mediocre quality and reduced amount of furniture on balcony cabins. The list goes on.

And, where the heck in the Passenger Contract does it state that passengers in any cabin will get a bed?

When it comes to Princess cuts, it is not just the suites who are effected. Princess is doing a number of cuts onboard their ships. This time, it is the suites and internet. Recently, it dealt with entertainment. A few months ago it dealt with FCC and OBC. Before that was Horizon Court (24 hours cut) and Dining Room Service at Lunch in port. Throw in mediocre quality and reduced amount of furniture on balcony cabins. The list goes on.

You've got it Coral. In a nutshell, it's just not fun anymore for me wondering what they will do away with next.

Most likely a portion of their passengers. . .

Or if the unlimited internet was not given to those who were upgraded to a suite, then those who paid for a suite should be able to keep that benefit, correct?

Truthfully when we were upgraded to Suites we questioned if in fact the upgrade came with all the amenities thinking that the improved accommodation was more than generous. But why have two classes of Suite customers when by adjusting the selling price and the corresponding amenities all Suites available would sell and this constant readjustment of benefits would no longer be needed.

Interesting thread (have not read but a few posts on the first page, but I get the basic idea).

The free internet in the suites was one, but obviously not the only, reasons I was pleased to give Princess a try. We sailed in dozens of suites in Carnival and were always underwhelmed with the perks (really, lack thereof)... perks on Celebrity and NCL were much better.

Still -- we're looking forward to our first Princess cruise. Since we did not witness what the glory days used to be (we were told the same with Celebrity), ignorance is bliss! :)

Tom

Archived