Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

I would NOT pre purchase an internet package at this point. So far we have not heard from a single suite passenger who was denied free internet. I'll be in a suite for the first time in a few weeks, we are platinum so I'm sure those perk minutes will be enough for us but I'll let you know what happens on board. This whole thing is another mess and reminds me of the 'staggered boarding' fiasco from a few months ago. Princess got all of us upset and then never enforced their rules. The customer service reps are just repeating what they have been told, they have no idea what actually goes on. I think they removed the free internet from the list of amenities so that future bookings won't have that promise but when it is actually enforced remains to be seen.

Let's hope so. It would be the right thing for Princess to do.

I can prepurchase Internet minutes or wait until port. The point is that I shouldn't have to do so. I should receive what was promised to me especially considering that I've already made final payment.

Disclaimer: I am not a suite passenger and am but a humble "Goldie" so I have no dog in this fight.

I believe that the abusers doomed this perk just like they did in the unlimited free coffee with one punch left on the Coffee Card. Bragging about the abuse or diming out the abusers here on CC is not the best idea since the suits at Princess no doubt have people monitoring the boards. They probably ordered usage statistics and confirmed the excess usage. So keep on bragging and snitching and see how many more gesse that lay golden eggs you can kill. :rolleyes:

disclaimer: I am not a suite passenger and am but a humble "goldie" so i have no dog in this fight.

I believe that the abusers doomed this perk just like they did in the unlimited free coffee with one punch left on the coffee card. Bragging about the abuse or diming out the abusers here on cc is not the best idea since the suits at princess no doubt have people monitoring the boards. They probably ordered usage statistics and confirmed the excess usage. So keep on bragging and snitching and see how many more gesse that lay golden eggs you can kill. :rolleyes:

amen!

... BTW - I no longer sail in suites and I am upset with this also. It doesn't affect me, but it is an overall trend of Princess in decreasing the cruise experience and removing services as advertised.

That is it in a nutshell. There is no free Internet! Everyone pays for what is allotted either in individual segmented purchases or inclusive as in their purchase price of a suite. Therefore how it is used is of no concern to anyone. Those that say that suite passengers allow others to use their Internet time are creating the problem miss the point altogether. All the suite Internet time is paid for in full. To remove it now would simply be a suite price increase.

That is it in a nutshell. There is no free Internet! Everyone pays for what is allotted either in individual segmented purchases or inclusive as in their purchase price of a suite. Therefore how it is used is of no concern to anyone. Those that say that suite passengers allow others to use their Internet time are creating the problem miss the point altogether. All the suite Internet time is paid for in full. To remove it now would simply be a suite price increase.

This simply does not work mathematically. If person A is in a suite and has free minutes but doesn't want or need them, it isn't simply a matter of giving them away to person B because they are already "paid for". Doing so removes the need for person B to buy their own minutes, which Princess has factored into its revenue stream expectations. Your position is akin to someone buying an all you can eat buffet at a restaurant and sharing some of your food to a tablemate. Sure, "your" food is paid for. But allowing others to share removes the need for the others to buy their own.

I'm not saying that sharing minutes is necessarily the reason behind the change. But to say that sharing minutes does not shave off income from the ledger is simply not true.

Disclaimer: I am not a suite passenger and am but a humble "Goldie" so I have no dog in this fight.

I believe that the abusers doomed this perk just like they did in the unlimited free coffee with one punch left on the Coffee Card. Bragging about the abuse or diming out the abusers here on CC is not the best idea since the suits at Princess no doubt have people monitoring the boards. They probably ordered usage statistics and confirmed the excess usage. So keep on bragging and snitching and see how many more gesse that lay golden eggs you can kill. :rolleyes:

I agree. Of course all cruise lines monitor their respective boards. It's crazy to think they don't. It might be best for people who continually "get over" to quit posting it on here. No doubt the next bombshell will be about bringing alcohol onboard. Though I have yet to go on my cruise yet, after following CC, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people over the changes & cutbacks. It's almost like daring Princess to do something when you brag about cruising tricks. I agree that whoever is already locked into their suite should get the free internet, but really, it was a perk & not an entitlement.

It is one of those situations where Princess is eliminating services or benefits. It is just a matter of time before a service or benefit that affects others will they understand. Examples recently were when they eliminated lunch in the dining room on port days. This affected me and I was attacked as it didn't affect some others. But when the Horizon Court was closing at 11 or 12, this didn't affect me but affected others and they were in outrange. Similar with the Caribe balcony furniture.

Internet has been a benefit granted to suites. If they remove it, they really should honor those who were already booked and grandfather them in. I still question about savings on the ship concerning this (I don't think it is a cost savings but could be wrong). There is abuse of many things on ships - even down to the soda card. I don't think abuse is behind this but I could be wrong.

I agree completely, with all of your thoughts. Internet with a suite is different than a Captains Circle perk. Removing it after people have booked is akin to removing the beds from our cabins and then telling us we can still have them...if we pay $100 extra. I think we'd all be up in arms about that. And I certainly hope Princess isn't punishing all people in suites because a few abused the benefit. Reminds me of Catholic school in the 1960s where the students were expected to keep each other in line or we all got punished. Princess is a business- not judge and jury.

Just as Princess grandfathered the fuel surcharge (when it had one) and the FCC OBCs, it should have grandfathered this. I'd be surprised, in the end, if Princess didn't step up and do that. But, in some respects, the damage will have been done.

The fact that this doesn't personally affect most of us should offer no comfort. It's simply further proof that the cruise experience is changing, and it's only a matter of time before we, too, are affected.

Someone said it previously. Princess probably pays for satellite by the data transfer totals - similar to 3G or 4G useage.

the key point here is that Princess "pays" for this service. It costs them cash to pay the vendor. Its cash out of their pocket, whereas giving suite passengers a free dinner at a specialty restaraunt the first day, probably the slowest day of the cruise, doesn't really "cost" them anything other than food costs - labor is already accounted for and paid for.

That being said, I have to admit that when in a suite I was not as careful with my time on line as I was using elite minutes. Instead of logging on, downloading, composing off line, I found myself staying logged on. A real eye opener was our 35 day asian cruise. total elite free time = 1,000 minutes (500 each). total time used = 650 minutes. And this was uploading a daily live from, checking weather, downloading email, paying bills and updating facebook pages. When it costs you money, you are typically much more frugal with on-line time - at least I am.

I am somewhat surprised that suite passengers would drive internet costs that much, but it still isn't a deal breaker for us. After finding out we can spend 35 days in a balcony cabin without killing each other, suites are back to only once in a great, great while.

One thing that is becoming clear - princess's return passenger benefits are almost certainly going to have to be cut back on in the future. They are the best in the industry, but when 30% of the ship gets a certain amount of free internet and almost 10% get free laundry, somebody has to pay this bill.

As someone else mentioned, Princess has held the line on fuel surcharges. How long has the price been above $70 per barrel? To make up for that, they are trying new and different things, raising prices here and there, taking away perks here and there. Some will undoubtedly drive passengers aways, but some will actually attract first time passengers because of the low entry prices. As someelse mentioned, Princess probably makes more money off the passengers with 1-5 cruises than any other demographic.

it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The good news is that none of us has to cruise. There are always alternatives...

Someone said it previously. Princess probably pays for satellite by the data transfer totals - similar to 3G or 4G useage.

My guess is actually they don't, rather they or their vendor has a contract for a fixed chunk of satellite capacity. Now maybe the issue is that Princess' 3rd party vendor is charging them by usage, but even that I doubt. My guess is there is a bulk contract (re-)negotiated every 2-3 years.

I copied this from the princess site in Nov - time that we had made several payments to them for our first suite. I have been reading on the boards about changes to the suite passengers amenities and was hoping some of you that have sailed in a suite (Golden Princess to Alaska 2012) could tell me what else is mssing....

Thank you for taking the time to read the amenities that are posted here and responding to what is now missing.

Sent: 11/10/2011 11:03:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Subj: princess

Princess Suite Amenities Surround Passengers with Luxury

Passengers who choose to enjoy their Princess cruise from the luxury of its vessels' most exclusive accommodations will find their deluxe rooms full of extras to make their journey an even more comfortable experience -- from upgraded mattresses and linens, to special services and a welcoming glass of champagne.

To surround passengers with luxury even as they sleep, suites (and mini-suites) have been recently fitted with luxury mattresses and covered in plush 100 percent Egyptian cotton, high thread count bed linens and fluffy European-style duvets. Passengers can choose their perfect pillow from a menu featuring a variety of feather and therapeutic pillows. Suites also come equipped with massaging shower heads, luxurious towels and bathrobes, plus complimentary slippers. Suite passengers can enjoy their favorite movies and songs with an in-suite DVD/CD player, and borrow films from the ship's complimentary DVD library.

Enhanced toiletries, an illuminated vanity mirror, fresh flower arrangements, complimentary tote bag and a mini bar setup of fine liquors and soft drinks are just some of the other extras suite passengers enjoy on Princess ships. Deluxe canap?s are delivered daily, and passengers can choose their favorites from a variety of hors d'oeuvres.

Suite passengers can take advantage of complimentary services and shipboard activities, including the spa's thermal suite, internet access in the Internet Cafe, dry cleaning, laundry and shoe polishing. On formal nights they'll receive a complimentary corsage and boutonniere to add some dash to their special attire. They can schedule a private portrait sitting with Princess' onboard photographers or enjoy afternoon tea served in the privacy of their own suite. In addition, suite passengers will enjoy expedited cruise embarkation and early disembarkation in all tender ports, with full privileges in the ship's Platinum disembarkation lounge.

The renowned Princess service is especially evident in suite accommodations. Passengers don't even need to worry about packing and unpacking, as they can request assistance from their suite steward. Reservations are a snap with preferred Anytime DiningSM reservations and personal shore excursion reservations. Guests can also choose from an extended room service menu, with extra options for breakfast and any of the day's dining room selections for lunch and dinner.

Naturally, suite passengers also enjoy some of the finest accommodations at sea. Newer ships feature an array of special facilities from marbled bathrooms to whirlpool baths. Many suites also include such luxurious features as walk-in closets, dining rooms and wet bars.

In total, suite passengers can look forward to the following amenities:

Suite Amenities:

In-Room Amenities: Luxury mattresses

Luxury ivory satin pinstripe bed linens

Fluffy duvets in place of blankets

Luggage protector on bed at embarkation

Luxury bathrobes

Luxury towels

Pillow menu - option of feather or therapeutic pillows

Massage shower heads

Luxury bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bath gel, plus new lip balm, gel eye mask, bath salts and loofah mitts)

Facial mist (choice of scents)

Complimentary slippers

Fresh flower arrangement

Complimentary corsage and boutonniere on first formal night

Complimentary mini-bar - one-time set up

Combined DVD/CD Players

DVD Library - each vessel has a 100-title DVD library available to suite passengers

Halo light magnifying vanity mirrors on vanity Upgraded room amenities, including ice bucket and tray, leather wallet for cruise card, high quality pen, combined clothes brush, lint remover and shoe horn, shoe cleaning mitt, sewing kit, white cloth laundry bag, black cloth shoe shining bag

Complimentary Princess tote bag

Umbrella for use during the cruise Services:

Expedited embarkation process

Preferred Anytime DiningSM reservations

Personal shore excursion reservations

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning service

Complimentary shoe polishing service Dining Services:

Welcome glass of champagne at embarkation

Extended room service menu (extended breakfast, lunch, dinner offering)

In-suite afternoon tea service

Passenger's choice of deluxe canap?s, delivered daily Onboard Activities:

Complimentary internet access in onboard Internet Cafes (wireless internet connection not included).

Private portrait sitting

Complimentary use of the thermal suite in the Lotus Spa (Emerald Princess, Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Sapphire Princess, Diamond Princess, Star Princess, Coral Princess and Island Princess).

Passengers who travel in mini-suites will also enjoy the luxury of special bed linens, and upgraded amenities. Mini-Suites -- In Room Amenities

Luxury mattresses

Luxury ivory satin pinstripe bed linens

Fluffy duvets in place of blankets

Luggage protector on bed at embarkation

Pillow menu - option of feather or therapeutic pillows

Luxury towels

Glass of champagne at embarkation

Upgraded bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion)

They will have pay by usage, my guess is that they have a fixed contract with a minimum amount then an over cap price. It's much less than a single ship would pay I am sure, but the simple fact is that no marine sat provider I could find offers any other kind of deal, and I got a look at a contract a major shipping line uses to try to get a feel for pricing - its the same type of contract.

True, they could buy a large enough minimum to cover expected use plus, but that runs the risk of wasted expenditure.

What also makes it fun for a cruise line is different companies cover different areas, so their costs in the Carib could be different than those in AK, or Europe, etc.

My guess is actually they don't, rather they or their vendor has a contract for a fixed chunk of satellite capacity. Now maybe the issue is that Princess' 3rd party vendor is charging them by usage, but even that I doubt. My guess is there is a bulk contract (re-)negotiated every 2-3 years.

I booked directly with Princess... not through a TA. Called Princess this morning. Was told internet access has been discontinued as a perk for suites. "Princess reserves the right to change suite amenities at any time"... explanation.

As others have mentioned, Princess should honor the amenity for those that have already booked. I don't think that will happen. Now it will be up to the customer to decide if Princess provides the product they want. There are many options...

B

The latest report indicates "free internet at the internet cafe's" for suite passengers. I am guessing that this will eliminate those that remained connected 24/7 without a thought to usage.

Wireless would have same pay scale as everyone else, Elites and Platinum no change in free minutes.

Seems like a compromise to me.

The latest report indicates "free internet at the internet cafe's" for suite passengers. I am guessing that this will eliminate those that remained connected 24/7 without a thought to usage.

Wireless would have same pay scale as everyone else, Elites and Platinum no change in free minutes.

Seems like a compromise to me.

If you're talking about the post on the thread that Vanilla started, the date of that list was Nov. 2011. Would it be the same now??

If you're talking about the post on the thread that Vanilla started, the date of that list was Nov. 2011. Would it be the same now??

That is a good question. I did not notice the date of the list he had posted. It was a new post and I guess I assumed (you know what that means :rolleyes:) That it was a more recent listing.

Nonetheless, it would be a decent compromise. The computers in the internet cafes can easily be set to automatically log off after a certain amount of inactivity. A "smart" phone, laptop or netbook can be left connected and email, Facebook, etc, can and will post at any time, keeping the system active. I suspect that some (many?) would even leave them connected when they were in port and off the ship.

...I'm not saying that sharing minutes is necessarily the reason behind the change. But to say that sharing minutes does not shave off income from the ledger is simply not true.

One can go to the dining room and order an entree. Then another. Then another. It doesn't matter for such was built into the price of the cruise. So it is with the Internet. (and I believe the Internet system is held and operated by a third party). When Princess says here is the price of our Suite, which included open Internet time, that time is built into the price. If you are looking for someone to blame for the loss of that open Internet time it is Princess who just arbitrarily remove it as a cost cutting (price increase) manouevre.

Matco, you're right, it would be a good compromise. The automatic log off thing would solve a lot of problems. Maybe it would be easier to monitor who uses it too, so there wouldn't be "sharing". I don't know though. I don't sail until next year, so I don't know if they have staff in the internet cafe. I'm sure as people get back from cruises we'll start getting definitive answers as to the suite/internet situation.

One can go to the dining room and order an entree. Then another. Then another. It doesn't matter for such was built into the price of the cruise. So it is with the Internet. (and I believe the Internet system is held and operated by a third party). When Princess says here is the price of our Suite, which included open Internet time, that time is built into the price. If you are looking for someone to blame for the loss of that open Internet time it is Princess who just arbitrarily remove it as a cost cutting (price increase) manouevre.

You're making two distinct points, the second I agree with but the first I do not. You are correct that the price of the internet was built in to the suite price, just as all features are built in to any "all inclusive" package. So the removal of the internet perk should be met with a corresponding decrease in fare, moving the suites more toward an a la carte pricing system as an earlier poster posited. Keeping the fare steady whilst peeling back benefits is going to ruffle feathers. We agree on this.

But you food analogy fails because all passengers have meals built into their fare. But imagine a system where suite passengers had meals included in their fares but non-suite passengers did not, and instead they paid per meal. Now imagine if a suite passenger ordered entree after entree after entree, but gave most of these away to non-suite folks. This would not be right, fair, or within the economic model that Princess operates under. This is exactly what happens when suite passengers give their internet minutes away to non-suite passengers. Just as if a suite passenger gave his/her free Specialty dinner on night one away to a non-suite passenger. The non-suite passenger no longer has to pay $20-$25 for their meal, and Princess loses income. Now, maybe that non-suite passenger would have not gone to a Specialty had they not been given the free access. But that is not for us to decide, manipulate or control.

So the change to free internet in the Internet Cafe only was made clear as early as November? That is no less than 8-9 months ago. Seems as if the "Princess pulled the rug out from under me" outrage is a bit overblown for anyone who booked within the past 8 months. For people who booked before the "wireless service not included" annoncement was made, they still have a beef. One lesson here is that even if you book through a TA, you should still scour the Princess website first to absorb as much as you can to catch subtle changes such as this. Your TA isn't always going to know about or inform you of these nuances.

It might be best for people who continually "get over" to quit posting it on here. No doubt the next bombshell will be about bringing alcohol onboard.

I've thought about this many times. People tell everyone what they can get away with. Especially bringing extra alcohol on board, The nightly drink and appetizer get together - many say - "just tell them you are in a suite - hey never check" or sending out extra laundry for a friend or family memeber in another cabin. I have never heard of anyone on CCbragging about sharing their suite Internet minutes.

Maybe it would be easier to monitor who uses it too, so there wouldn't be "sharing". I don't know though.

Can't monitor who uses it.

A suite passenger can sign on from any wifi device on the ship or on the Internet Cafe computers.

No way to tell who is really signing on.

They will have pay by usage, my guess is that they have a fixed contract with a minimum amount then an over cap price. It's much less than a single ship would pay I am sure, but the simple fact is that no marine sat provider I could find offers any other kind of deal, and I got a look at a contract a major shipping line uses to try to get a feel for pricing - its the same type of contract.

True, they could buy a large enough minimum to cover expected use plus, but that runs the risk of wasted expenditure.

What also makes it fun for a cruise line is different companies cover different areas, so their costs in the Carib could be different than those in AK, or Europe, etc.

I've done satellite contracts generally and we were always purchasing our own transponder, e.g. satellite 12345, transponder X, frequency Y. And it was fixed price for time.

Now maybe your point is that marine internet guys buy those contracts and sublicense them with data caps to Princess, etc.... I just thought Carnival as a whole (CCL PLC) might be big enough that it might rent some transponders by themselves...

Archived