Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

If the people in suites feel that strongly about the loss then they quit booking Princess ships entirely (or maybe lower their standards to go in a mini) but I'd almost bet that 1 person in a hundred will abandon Princess because of that loss. :D

People threatened to leave Princess many times over after each cutback (smoking, entertainment, restaurant hours, staggered boarding, etc. and I see them still posting. I can only wonder why. :p:rolleyes::rolleyes:[/quo

Because some posters, like myself, enjoy the entertainment value of this board at times like this. :D

I'd completely forgotten about the staggered boarding. Bad, bad Princess. LOL

Can't say I ever noticed this staggered boarding, I just usually seem to be on board 10 minutes after walking into the departure lounge.

Can't say I ever noticed this staggered boarding, I just usually seem to be on board 10 minutes after walking into the departure lounge.
Ugh! It appears to be only in certain ports and where it's been used, boarding has been a mess. :(

Coral, Due to your beautiful pictures over the years of the suites, we chose to book the exact suite that you'd photographed.

/QUOTE]

Almost unbelievable!!!;)

I discovered Cruise Critic before our first cruise and it was Coral's pictures of D736 (an aft vista suite) on the Golden Princess that started our cruise experience. I booked that very cabin and we have occupied suites ever since.

Princess should compensate her.

Mike:)

As far as I can see, the issue is that Princess is breaching a contract made with those who have booked suites.

I agree with you here (and, like you, have never sailed in a suite).

To me a worse change made after booking a cruise (although the contract allows it) is eliminating ports in exchange for a sea day for reasons fully under Princess' control.

The best thing to do is to use a mail service that allows you to download your mail, sign off, respond, sign on and send. Even with slow Internet, I use maybe a total of five minutes.

Pam, what email service do you use (if you prefer not to answer, I understand)? I use yahoo and can't figure out how to write email offline. I'd be happy to switch services.

Thanks,

Bonni

Pam, what email service do you use (if you prefer not to answer, I understand)? I use yahoo and can't figure out how to write email offline. I'd be happy to switch services.

Thanks,

Bonni

We write in a word Doc and cut, then log in and paste it. ;)

I've used AOL since 1988 so I'm not familiar with others. :( Many services should allow you to do this.

Thanks,

Bonni

Not Pam, but we do this too. I use Gmail and all emails are automatically "forwarded" and downloaded to my Microsoft Outlook when I log in and open Outlook. There are options to do this in the Settings on Gmail. After all emails are in Outlook, I log off the internet, read and reply to email in Outlook, log back on to the internet and hit the email send button. It takes no more than 2 minutes to download my emails and then no more than 2 minutes to send emails.

I use Gmail and all emails are automatically "forwarded" and downloaded to my Microsoft Outlook when I log in and open Outlook. There are options to do this in the Settings on Gmail. After all emails are in Outlook, I log off the internet, read and reply to email in Outlook, log back on to the internet and hit the email send button. It takes no more than 2 minutes to download my emails and then no more than 2 minutes to send emails.

That's the secret, use Outlook or equivalent to download your messages from Yahoo and then you can log off, read them, prepare responses, and log back on to send them.

On our recent (May/June) cruise to the Greek Isles on the Crown the sign outside of Sabatini's in the morning said breakfast was for Elite and Suite holders.

Then there must have had no Elites on board!Did you take a picture of the sign?

Then there must have had no Elites on board!Did you take a picture of the sign?

No, I did not. We were upgraded to a suite and newbies to the breakfast in Sabatini's. I'll pay more attention next time.

Coral, Due to your beautiful pictures over the years of the suites, we chose to book the exact suite that you'd photographed.

/QUOTE]

Almost unbelievable!!!;)

I discovered Cruise Critic before our first cruise and it was Coral's pictures of D736 (an aft vista suite) on the Golden Princess that started our cruise experience. I booked that very cabin and we have occupied suites ever since.

Princess should compensate her.

Mike:)

Yes, that is the cabin we booked on the Golden as well after having been in E733 a few years before. E733 was a free upgrade;) but trust me when I say we didn't give any of our "freebies" away or abuse the Internet perk as has been suggested by some on this thread.:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by coo359a2

I guess I missed this somehow. When did the breakfast for Elites start/end?

POSTED BY PAM IN CA: New to me, too. It's possible it was tested a few times but I don't think it was fleet-wide as I'd have heard of it.

Originally Posted by ONT-CA viewpost.gif

The Carnival Circus Lads have done it again. They do not think out their marketing ideas such as free internet, never thinking that it would come home to haunt them in usage. Just as they didn't think out that offering Sabatini's breakfast to the Elite would overtake the staff and that too had to be rescinded. They don't seem to understand that it's not unlike giving a dog a bone.....just try taking it away from him. We bite.

ABOVE WAS THE POST TO WHICH I WAS REFERRING WHEN I INQUIRED ABOUT WHETHER THE SABATINI'S BREAKFASTS for Elites have come to an end???

Originally Posted by coo359a2

I guess I missed this somehow. When did the breakfast for Elites start/end?

POSTED BY PAM IN CA: New to me, too. It's possible it was tested a few times but I don't think it was fleet-wide as I'd have heard of it.

Originally Posted by ONT-CA viewpost.gif

The Carnival Circus Lads have done it again. They do not think out their marketing ideas such as free internet, never thinking that it would come home to haunt them in usage. Just as they didn't think out that offering Sabatini's breakfast to the Elite would overtake the staff and that too had to be rescinded. They don't seem to understand that it's not unlike giving a dog a bone.....just try taking it away from him. We bite.

This was the post to which I was referring, and then it occurred to me that Elites never did get breakfast in Sabatini's -- it was Suite Guests.

My apologies for the confusing post earlier:o

I am Typing this life from my suite on today's sailing. The directory in our suite states "As a suite passenger, you have the advantage of free Internet access." when I logged on, it recognized I was in a suite and indicated that there were no charges for Internet.

Either the taking away of free access is being slowly deployed fleetwide, or there is grandfathering.

I am a bit perplexed by the animosity shown to fellow travelers. I, too, expected free internet as a part of the suite package (I have a PH suite booked on a b2b in Sept to Alaska). I am not wealthy, although that is ad should be beside the point. I am taking my Mom on the cruise she had booked with my Dad - before cancer took him away. I will be away from my kids and husband for 14 days. I would like t have internet. It was expected and quoted as a part of our package. I realize I could go to a McDonalds, etc. but somehow liked the idea of internet usage from my room with a view...having said that, are there McDonalds in the ports Princess sails in Alaska? Or Starbucks? How much does internet cost on board? The internet is not a deal breaker, but as it was a part of the quoted package, it seems it is a contract issue...and frankly as a first time cruiser, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth...please don't attack my staying in a suite...that is also in poor taste IMHO...:)

I am a bit perplexed by the animosity shown to fellow travelers. I, too, expected free internet as a part of the suite package (I have a PH suite booked on a b2b in Sept to Alaska). I am not wealthy, although that is ad should be beside the point. I am taking my Mom on the cruise she had booked with my Dad - before cancer took him away. I will be away from my kids and husband for 14 days. I would like t have internet. It was expected and quoted as a part of our package. I realize I could go to a McDonalds, etc. but somehow liked the idea of internet usage from my room with a view...having said that, are there McDonalds in the ports Princess sails in Alaska? Or Starbucks? How much does internet cost on board? The internet is not a deal breaker, but as it was a part of the quoted package, it seems it is a contract issue...and frankly as a first time cruiser, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth...please don't attack my staying in a suite...that is also in poor taste IMHO...:)

Extremely well said! I wholeheartedly agree!

Sorry about the loss of your dad.

Your best bet is to pre purchase an internet package so you will receive bonus minutes. I am sorry your first sailing is getting off to a poor start. The way they have implemented this change is unacceptable and unprofessional. Chances are I will never sail in a full suite but it makes me wonder what surprises are in store for me that I won't know until I board a ship. Well I read these boards a lot so I will probably find out from another CC member. However in this day and age of instant communication you shouldn't have to rely on a message board to get updates on changes that will have a negative impact on your trip. Princess needs to man up and inform those who booked a suite that they will not be receiving free internet service so that the passengers have the opportunity to change their booking or pre purchase an internet package. I imagine that there will be a lynch mob at the passenger service deck when suite passengers find out about the change once they board. I wouldn’t be surprised if they remove the express line for suite guests on that day. Here is a link for the internet packages.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

I have never even used all the internet minutes that I have gotten "free" as a Platinum and Elite cruiser. I conserve mine by writing my emails in Word, and then I copy and past them to an email just before hitting "send". I had half of my internet minutes left at the end of a 28 day cruise, and I sent daily emails to each of my 3 daughters.

I am a bit perplexed by the animosity shown to fellow travelers. I, too, expected free internet as a part of the suite package (I have a PH suite booked on a b2b in Sept to Alaska).

I am too! It was a benefit that was taken away.

It is one of those situations where Princess is eliminating services or benefits. It is just a matter of time before a service or benefit that affects others will they understand. Examples recently were when they eliminated lunch in the dining room on port days. This affected me and I was attacked as it didn't affect some others. But when the Horizon Court was closing at 11 or 12, this didn't affect me but affected others and they were in outrange. Similar with the Caribe balcony furniture.

Internet has been a benefit granted to suites. If they remove it, they really should honor those who were already booked and grandfather them in. I still question about savings on the ship concerning this (I don't think it is a cost savings but could be wrong). There is abuse of many things on ships - even down to the soda card. I don't think abuse is behind this but I could be wrong.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with your mom! Hopefully when you sail, they will not have implemented this change.

BTW - I no longer sail in suites and I am upset with this also. It doesn't affect me, but it is an overall trend of Princess in decreasing the cruise experience and removing services as advertised.

I would NOT pre purchase an internet package at this point. So far we have not heard from a single suite passenger who was denied free internet. I'll be in a suite for the first time in a few weeks, we are platinum so I'm sure those perk minutes will be enough for us but I'll let you know what happens on board. This whole thing is another mess and reminds me of the 'staggered boarding' fiasco from a few months ago. Princess got all of us upset and then never enforced their rules. The customer service reps are just repeating what they have been told, they have no idea what actually goes on. I think they removed the free internet from the list of amenities so that future bookings won't have that promise but when it is actually enforced remains to be seen.

Archived