Tampa advice

murph1031

We are sailing on the Paradise saturday and will arrive in Tampa Friday around noon. Can anyone give me suggestions on what we can do that day. My party is myself,wife and two teenage sons. We have done Busch gardens before so we're not interested in doing this again. Last time we went to Tampa was a quick trip to visit Busch, we have seen nothing else of the city.

Thanks

murph

We have cruised out of Tampa before. Downtown Tampa is pretty much a business district and not much to do. Clearwater beach area is very nice and worth the drive across the bridge. Nice beach shops and stuff to do there. By the port, unfortunately there isn't that much.

We are sailing on the Paradise saturday and will arrive in Tampa Friday around noon. Can anyone give me suggestions on what we can do that day. My party is myself,wife and two teenage sons. We have done Busch gardens before so we're not interested in doing this again. Last time we went to Tampa was a quick trip to visit Busch, we have seen nothing else of the city.

Thanks

murph

I agree with the clearwater beach suggestion

or you could rent a car and explore the gulf beaches which are exquisite. Fort de Soto, Passe a Grille, St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach, Honeymoon Island, Caldesi Island.... so many to choose from. You can rent jet skis and boats as well to visit the channel islands like Anclote Key.

Take a taxi to MOSI...enjoy the great hands-on exhibits, Planetarium and IMAX movie...AND there is a great mummy exhibit now thru mid-August. Get a combo ticket and see everything....plan on spending a few hours.

Here is their web site: mosi.org

Thanks

murph

Here a site that lists and rates things to do in the Tampa area: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g34678-Activities-Tampa_Florida.html

Less than 5 days!

Thanks

murph

I used to live there. If you'll give us an idea of what you'd like to do (and if you'll have a car), we can help out. :)

Depends on what you like to do. Plenty of beaches, Mosi (may not be something teenage boys want to do) Rays games are great, the dome is indoor and it is never crowded. They might also enjoy splitsville in channel side(nice bowling alley where the lanes are seperated, there is a Hooter's there too. Check groupon and living social for great deals on things to do.

What do you like to do? There is so much more than Busch Gardens. For the summer months, I recommend something in the water or inside. Some suggestions are:

1) The Aquarium - which is right at the pier. I would also ditto what someone said about having a meal at The Columbia.

2) The Tampa Lowry Park Zoo - a top-rated zoo.

3) Siesta Key beach - This has been voted the #1 beach in the USA (way better than Clearwater beach imo).

4) Lettuce Lake Park - If you're more into nature - this place offers great photo ops and wildlife viewing,you can go kayaking here too.

5) Honeymoon Island/Caladesi - You can kayak across the bay to Caladesi Island, which is another beautiful beach but you will find some great wildlife! This beach has been voted #1 in the past too.

6) Adventure Island - a very good waterpark.

7) Weeki Wachee - a cold springs park, you can watch "mermaids," kayak, take a boat ride... there are a couple water slides too. Might be kind of far to drive for a day visit. The water is beautiful- clear, blue and sparkling.

8) Boat ride to Egmont Key - there is an outfit that will take you out to Egmont Key, an island with a lighthouse and an old fort. The beach is nice but there are no amenities on the island. I've seen lots of starfish, turtles, sand dollars and other wildlife here. The best part is that they drive the boat back in such a way that dolphins love to jump and play in the wake. This was one of my favorite excursions.

9) Ybor city segway tour

10) Mosi - a science museum - this would be my last recommendation. I have a membership here but it never entertains me for more than an hour... However, it is one of the better science museums I have been to.

11) Other boat rides - there are tons of fishing trips, sailing charters, dolphin cruises, shell hunting cruises, nature cruises, mangrove kayaking trips, etc.

12) Seaworld - about 1.5 hrs away in Orlando.

I could go on and on. If you have something specific in mind I can try to narrow it down.

What do you like to do? There is so much more than Busch Gardens. For the summer months, I recommend something in the water or inside. Some suggestions are:

1) The Aquarium - which is right at the pier. I would also ditto what someone said about having a meal at The Columbia.

2) The Tampa Lowry Park Zoo - a top-rated zoo.

3) Siesta Key beach - This has been voted the #1 beach in the USA (way better than Clearwater beach imo).

4) Lettuce Lake Park - If you're more into nature - this place offers great photo ops and wildlife viewing,you can go kayaking here too.

5) Honeymoon Island/Caladesi - You can kayak across the bay to Caladesi Island, which is another beautiful beach but you will find some great wildlife! This beach has been voted #1 in the past too.

6) Adventure Island - a very good waterpark.

7) Weeki Wachee - a cold springs park, you can watch "mermaids," kayak, take a boat ride... there are a couple water slides too. Might be kind of far to drive for a day visit. The water is beautiful- clear, blue and sparkling.

8) Boat ride to Egmont Key - there is an outfit that will take you out to Egmont Key, an island with a lighthouse and an old fort. The beach is nice but there are no amenities on the island. I've seen lots of starfish, turtles, sand dollars and other wildlife here. The best part is that they drive the boat back in such a way that dolphins love to jump and play in the wake. This was one of my favorite excursions.

9) Ybor city segway tour

10) Mosi - a science museum - this would be my last recommendation. I have a membership here but it never entertains me for more than an hour... However, it is one of the better science museums I have been to.

11) Other boat rides - there are tons of fishing trips, sailing charters, dolphin cruises, shell hunting cruises, nature cruises, mangrove kayaking trips, etc.

12) Seaworld - about 1.5 hrs away in Orlando.

I could go on and on. If you have something specific in mind I can try to narrow it down.

WOW thanks.

I live 40 miles north and drive into Tampa every day. I never do any of these things. I'm keeping your list for future reference.

I do love fishing on the Sunshine Skyway bridge piers.. but it take forever to get there as does St. Pete Beach but that is amazing!

Enjoy and let us know what you do..

Thanks

murph

The Mosi Museum is pretty cool. Your teens may enjoy it as well as the adults.

http://www.mosi.org/

:)

Thanks

murph

(We are Tampans now, but born/raised in Indianapolis area and lived there until 2007. Where do you live?)

Few suggestions:

- The aquarium is very nice and located right by cruise port.

- Ybor City a little over-rated, especially with teens -- but the Columbia Restaurant there is the oldest restaurant in Florida and definitely worth a trip.

- Across the bridge in St. Pete is the Dali Museum, just voted one of the most beautiful in the world. Also lots of neat restaurants in St. Pete along Beach Drive. St. Pete is also where the Rays play at Tropicana Field -- you might check to see if there is a game that day.

- International Mall is one of the loveliest malls I've ever seen.

- Bayshore Blvd is beautiful, and reportedly the longest continous sidewalk in the world -- they have Segway tours, which your kids would like.

- Just northeast of the city is a state park where you can go kayaking on the river and see lots of alligators

- Lowry Park Zoo and MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) are each great

Hope you have fun in Tampa and on your cruise!

(We are Tampans now, but born/raised in Indianapolis area and lived there until 2007. Where do you live?)

Few suggestions:

- The aquarium is very nice and located right by cruise port.

- Ybor City a little over-rated, especially with teens -- but the Columbia Restaurant there is the oldest restaurant in Florida and definitely worth a trip.

- Across the bridge in St. Pete is the Dali Museum, just voted one of the most beautiful in the world. Also lots of neat restaurants in St. Pete along Beach Drive. St. Pete is also where the Rays play at Tropicana Field -- you might check to see if there is a game that day.

- International Mall is one of the loveliest malls I've ever seen.

- Bayshore Blvd is beautiful, and reportedly the longest continous sidewalk in the world -- they have Segway tours, which your kids would like.

- Just northeast of the city is a state park where you can go kayaking on the river and see lots of alligators

- Lowry Park Zoo and MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) are each great

Hope you have fun in Tampa and on your cruise!

Actually my original hometown is St.Pete, Fla. We live in Anderson, just NE of Indianapolis

Envy the Floridians that don't have to pay airfare to get to the port.

:):)

We will be sailing out of Tampa in September and plan on spending the afternoon into evening the day before at Clearwater Beach. We are renting a car from Ace Rent-A-Car for really cheap (under $30).

I second Clearwater Beach, also the Aquarium would give you a chance to preview the port. There is also an adjacent outdoor mall with a movie theater.

Our friends that live in Tampa took us north of Clearwater to a Greek Sponge Fishing village call Tarpon Springs. It was very interesting and there is a good Dolphin watching tour that leaves from there.

Thanks for all the great replies. We are driving down to Tampa, so we will have a car. Thinking about the Rays game, "train" is in concert after the game Friday night. Museum sounds cool also, kids like that stuff, plus we may do the beach.

Thanks

Murph

I used to live in Tampa and really enjoyed visiting the city of Tarpon Springs. Tapron Springs is known for sponge docks and more. They also have some good restaurants. Here is a link with more information. http://www.ci.tarpon-springs.fl.us/tourism/index2.htm

I agree with others about Honeymoon Island. It's beautiful there with beaches and nature trails.

Archived