Chair Hogs: Norwegian's Blue Dots

That picture makes me angry just looking at it. 7:30am with ZERO intention of sitting in those chairs for hours. All their stuff should be thrown right into the ocean

Dude, all I can picture is the marine biologist episode of Seinfeld now:D

That picture makes me angry just looking at it. 7:30am with ZERO intention of sitting in those chairs for hours. All their stuff should be thrown right into the ocean

No, no!! Not in the ocean! There's already much too much crap thrown in there. :) Make them go to Reception or Lost & Found - make it inconvenient, but to be fair, they need to be told it will happen. Like any good parent disciplining a child, follow-through and consistency is key.

I am an avid supporter of the blue dot - yellow dot - any dot that will stop the chair hogs from doing their selfish "thing".

No, no!! Not in the ocean! There's already much too much crap thrown in there. :)

So true. Ok then...one of those huge rolling towel bins. Just throw the stuff in.

Sell books, shoes, hats and any electronics at auction the last day :) Call it the chair hog auction

Now really Mike, weren't you just telling me the other day that you didn't want junk to end up in the ocean :eek: :D :D

So true. Ok then...one of those huge rolling towel bins. Just throw the stuff in.

Sell books, shoes, hats and any electronics at auction the last day :) Call it the chair hog auction

Interesting idea :D

A small notation in the Freestyle Daily is all that is needed, then throw all that stuff in the incinerator at 8:01am.

~Intrepid <--Suuuueeeey!

It's already there, at least in the dailies I've had.

No, no!! Not in the ocean! There's already much too much crap thrown in there. :) Make them go to Reception or Lost & Found - make it inconvenient, but to be fair, they need to be told it will happen. Like any good parent disciplining a child, follow-through and consistency is key.

I am an avid supporter of the blue dot - yellow dot - any dot that will stop the chair hogs from doing their selfish "thing".

They already have a Naughty Room - why not use that? Make sure it is as far as possible away from the pool and as inconvenient as possible for them to reclaim their stuff.

July4th_2012_NCL_Gem_July14th 121

This was taken last week on the GEM at 8:50 in the morning.

GRRR...how do you post pictures? I posted it on facebook on the Norwegian page.

If it is already somewhere on line you can just copy and paste it in the posting window. If not you can use the paperclip in the top row of the posting window and attach the file.

I posted my epic yellow dot story in another "blue dot thread" I included pictures of the crew member tagging chairs. I've posted the story twice now in separate threads.

I spent an entire day sun up to sun down on the upper deck pool deck of the epic in February. I only saw them dotting chairs around 7:30 am and only saw the policy enforced 1 time. Mostly because they were dotting the backs of the chairs so passengers didn't know it was happening.

Great shot. Thanks for sharing!

I hear so many people criticize NCL, but NCL has really been an innovator in cruising with many of the things they do. They were the first with Freestyle Dining and even with other cruise lines saying it will never happen on their lines - they are all doing it now.

They started with relaxing dress codes.

Now the blue dot. I sincerely hope they implement this on all their ships - there will be more people cheering than jeering. And sooner or later, when other lines find out customers like the policy - they'll follow suit.

Keep up the innovations, NCL!

:D You are spot on!!:D

:D No!......They could have Naughty Room Part Deux!!!!!!!!!!;)

Just got off the Gem' date=' no blue dot policy in place. On the last day at sea, if you didn't claim a lounge chair by 6:45am you were out of luck (unless you were willing to sit upstairs). Unlike most passengers, I grabbed a book and stayed with my chairs.[/quote']

Plural? I think this is what does get folks up in arms here--"reserving" a whole block of chairs for members of a group who are off doing other things on the ship, and who may or may not ever all simultaneously be in need of chairs together.

I too am a big supporter of the enforcement of a policy they already have posted. I am a big sun lover and hate nothing more than not finding a chair because there a a whole bunch of empty chairs with towels. I usually remove the stuff myself and move the chair. I would specifically pick Norwegian if they would enforce this policy......oh but I already did!!:D

I saw a very nasty fight on the Star the other day. I am shocked it didn't end with a fistfight

After a long battle of screaming at each other a crew member came over and basically did nothing. My teens were in the pool so I offered one of my loungers to the person who removed someone's towel.

The crew member returned with a roll of yellow dots and started putting them on a few chairs. The people around the chairs with the dots took off the dots and threw them away.

I just returned home from a Greek Isles cruise on the Jade. The chair hogging was out of control and honestly the worst I have ever seen in 22 cruises. People had entire rows of chairs saved and it was very, very crowded around the pool and the level above. They did go around with the yellow dots, but not much came out of it. We had two sea days at the end of the cruise and it was awful. I was laying out by myself and couldn't even find one chair. The first of those days I was up on the deck above the pool and finally removed a banana peel and a towel that was placed across two chairs. This was at 10 in the morning.

The next day (last day of the cruise) I got up there even earlier and everything was "taken". I would say about 70% of the chairs had no people in them. I saw yellow dots with times on them and me and a few other people waited around for awhile to see what would happen. When the time was nearing an hour after the sticker was placed on the chairs I went to talk to a nearby security guard. I politely asked if I should remove the items myself and give them to her or did she want to do it. She directed me to the pool attendant who told me to go up near the chairs and he would be there shortly. I waited a good 20 minutes but he never came. Finally, I went and got him. He proceeded to walk around asking people if they "really needed" all the chairs they had saved. Of course, everyone said yes and was quite belligerent about it. At this point a small group had formed around the attendant demanding that something be done.

He finally ripped a towel off a chair and told me to take it which I did. I left while all the other people kept following him. So while they were using the yellow dots, I think a lot of the attendants are just scarred to actually go through with it. Honestly, I am a laid back cruiser, but chair hogs drive me nuts. Again, I don't think I have ever seen it as bad as I did on this cruise.

If NCL doesn't take the "dot" seriously, then why would they expect their passengers to take them seriously.

There should be a sign or signs outlining the "dot" program. It should state that there will be attendants putting timed "dots" on chairs that are left unattended and if no one returns without a half hour, the NCL personal belongings will be removed and placed somewhere. They should also have an additional flyer in each room upon embarkation letting the passengers know about this. And then, and most importantly, NCL has to have an attendant at the pool that will follow through with the program....they will not let some passengers slide, because of tips, begging, etc. The "dot" program will only work, if NCL makes it work.

It is very frustrating to look for a chair and not having any available, even though over half of them do not have a person in it, only their belongings (i've seen towels, shoes, books, kindles, etc.).

If NCL doesn't take the "dot" seriously, then why would they expect their passengers to take them seriously.

There should be a sign or signs outlining the "dot" program. It should state that there will be attendants putting timed "dots" on chairs that are left unattended and if no one returns without a half hour, the NCL personal belongings will be removed and placed somewhere. They should also have an additional flyer in each room upon embarkation letting the passengers know about this. And then, and most importantly, NCL has to have an attendant at the pool that will follow through with the program....they will not let some passengers slide, because of tips, begging, etc. The "dot" program will only work, if NCL makes it work.

You make very valid points and I agree completely.

Chair hogging was a problem on Spirit. A woman directly opposite me poolside rocked up at 9.30am and then started arguing because someone was sat in "her" chair . She said she had got up at 6.30 to get this chair and had only been to breakfast. Now my dad had been sitting in his chair since 7am and said he hadnt seen her that morning, so my question is "what sort of breakfast takes 3 hours?" one that lets you go back to bed for two hours after it perhaps?

But Karma is a wonderful thing. A few hours later she was reclining and very slowly the whole chair started tilting backwards and she ended up with her head on the floor and her legs in the air!! haha!!

Archived