Husband never knows where he's going

Petoonya

I understand the idea that it would be a challenge with two trying to decide on their own, but many if us do share, compromise, find common ground without one doing all of it, or both trying to control it all.

I realize there are a lot of women who end up with most of the responsiblilites of deciding all of it and am njoyDont this thread, but when both are involved, It's called give and take.

Den

Well yes and no, my wife just simply doesn't have any interest in taking care of the details. In this instance it's not about compromise, she's happy it's all taken care of. Does this mean those of us that take care of the details like to be in control? Maybe, but that doesn't mean my wife feels there is something being taken away from her. She is involved, just doesn't care about being involved in the minutiae of booking, wading through excursion options, figuring out the flight and hotel logistics, etc.

I would never book a vacation without us both having discussed it and decided on it. BUT, everyone has what works for them.

My partner is that way, i do all the planning and he doesn't really care about the details, "just tell me what airplane to get on".

We have also started cruising with another couple and they don't want to know any details either. They just want me to plan the entire trip and send them a spreadsheet with the times and places to be. From dinner reservations to tours, "we're in your hands". No pressure there :eek:

My partner is that way, i do all the planning and he doesn't really care about the details, "just tell me what airplane to get on".

We have also started cruising with another couple and they don't want to know any details either. They just want me to plan the entire trip and send them a spreadsheet with the times and places to be. From dinner reservations to tours, "we're in your hands". No pressure there :eek:

I'll agree there is 'no pressure there', If they understand since they handed you all the responsibility, they don't complain if they have any issues, and keep such to themselves!

When one of us makes some pick and it doesn't quite work out, we laugh it off. I once picked an inexpensive B&B in NYC and it was a horror....3rd floor walk up, BR down the hall shared w the floor, no closet, , just hooks on the wall. And when I opened the window for air (no a/c) there was a brick wall a foot away. Crazy! I thought my wife was going to stay in the taxi all night and sleep there after a play! and we are still married!

Den.

I too do all the planning but I am afraid I am a control freak to a degree. DH did plan a couple of weekends when we first got together but they weren't exactly the best (lack of exp I guess). He tried and now is happy to just let me get on with it (as am I). Even if things do go awry occasionally he has the good grace to say that it's fairly rare and would happen more often if he had planned it.

I also pack for him or he'd turn up with a case full of working paint splattered old clothes because he'd remembered taking that same shirt on holiday 10 YEARS AGO!!! It's far easier and less stressful for both of us to just leave me to it.

Don't tell him I told you but I actually love the planning and telling him I've found a great deal and I wouldn't swap him as he makes up for his lack of organisation in so many other ways.

...I also pack for him or he'd turn up with a case full of working paint splattered old clothes because he'd remembered taking that same shirt on holiday 10 YEARS AGO!!! It's far easier and less stressful for both of us to just leave me to it....

We're all so transfixed by our ladies' glowing elegance and beauty that we simply cannot concentrate on anything else.

I just have to pipe in and say that I thought I was an island and a control freak. I tend to do all of the planning for all of our get-aways, including short weekend jaunts. Recently we visited a nearby city for just an overnight...I thought I would encourage DH to pick and pack his own wardrobe. I tried to ignore what he was putting in the overnight bag. Well, he had underwear, he had his toiletries, but no clean shirt or pants to wear the following day. (he had to wear his clothes from the previous day that he wore outdoors at a dusty car show for 6 hours.) He said, I thought you would make sure I had what I needed...I assured him that I would from that point onward. A bit of manipulation? Maybe, but, like everyone else, the anticipation and planning are huge pieces of the planning...enjoyable, frustrating (airlines), exciting, day dreamy, I will step up to the challenge!

I too do all the planning but I am afraid I am a control freak to a degree. DH did plan a couple of weekends when we first got together but they weren't exactly the best (lack of exp I guess). He tried and now is happy to just let me get on with it (as am I). Even if things do go awry occasionally he has the good grace to say that it's fairly rare and would happen more often if he had planned it.

I also pack for him or he'd turn up with a case full of working paint splattered old clothes because he'd remembered taking that same shirt on holiday 10 YEARS AGO!!! It's far easier and less stressful for both of us to just leave me to it.

Don't tell him I told you but I actually love the planning and telling him I've found a great deal and I wouldn't swap him as he makes up for his lack of organisation in so many other ways.

That's my DH too. So funny to see it written down. I do like to bounce things off him but next time I mention the same thing he has forgotten anyway.;) Fortunately he is very easy going and we seem to like the same things now after 43 years.

I always pack or goodness knows what he would take. He does his own overnight bag if going off on his own(though I can't help but ask if he has everything) or else I pack for weekends too.

Does anyone else as the main planner and controller feel they have failed miserably when something goes slightly wrong and worry about it for ages after???:confused:

I just have to pipe in and say that I thought I was an island and a control freak. I tend to do all of the planning for all of our get-aways, including short weekend jaunts. Recently we visited a nearby city for just an overnight...I thought I would encourage DH to pick and pack his own wardrobe. I tried to ignore what he was putting in the overnight bag. Well, he had underwear, he had his toiletries, but no clean shirt or pants to wear the following day. (he had to wear his clothes from the previous day that he wore outdoors at a dusty car show for 6 hours.) He said, I thought you would make sure I had what I needed...I assured him that I would from that point onward. A bit of manipulation? Maybe, but, like everyone else, the anticipation and planning are huge pieces of the planning...enjoyable, frustrating (airlines), exciting, day dreamy, I will step up to the challenge!

After we retires, I stopped packing for my husband. He does ask before the cruise if we are cruising on a line that requires the tux or suit. The first trip that he packed for, he forgot to pack his polo shirts. We were attending a convention , so he had to wear his tee shirts most of the time.

But he looks great in a kilt! ;) (Best to you both!)

Andrew

I get the distinct feeling that some women want their partners to be helpless when it comes to packing and travel. I do not understand this.

I cannot imagine my DW packing for me, let alone selecting what clothes to wear. Nor can she imagine packing for me. I think that I have been packing my own clothes since I was about 12 or 13.

If DW packed for me my suitcase would be twice as big and twice as heavy. No thanks. And I always know when we are going, where we are going, and how we are getting there. It is not that difficult.

But he looks great in a kilt! ;) (Best to you both!)

Andrew

Let's be honest here, ladies - whatever we pack will not match your exacting standards. I mean, ladies pack things for us that reflect function, elegance, practicality, formality... Guys pack for the beach and the bar.

Let's be honest here, ladies - whatever we pack will not match your exacting standards. I mean, ladies pack things for us that reflect function, elegance, practicality, formality... Guys pack for the beach and the bar.

No, some women pack for function, elegance, practicality...some women pack for the beach and the bar. Some men pack for the beach and the bar...some men pack for function, elegance, practicality. And some men don't pack because their wives do everything while they sit and watch TV.

Den

I get the distinct feeling that some women want their partners to be helpless when it comes to packing and travel. I do not understand this.

I cannot imagine my DW packing for me, let alone selecting what clothes to wear. Nor can she imagine packing for me. I think that I have been packing my own clothes since I was about 12 or 13.

If DW packed for me my suitcase would be twice as big and twice as heavy. No thanks. And I always know when we are going, where we are going, and how we are getting there. It is not that difficult.

I agree, I cannot see my husband wanting me to ever pack for him, he's not 10. I do the travel booking because I'm better at it. He does other things because he's better at that. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a say on where we go and what we do.

I agree, I cannot see my husband wanting me to ever pack for him, he's not 10. I do the travel booking because I'm better at it. He does other things because he's better at that. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a say on where we go and what we do.

People have different interests, talents and abilities and it has nothing to do with one partner not wanting the other to participate. Some people are color blind and some people are better at packing. It has nothing to do with age. My husband packs his suitcase but always asks me to edit before he does.

Yeah, but I happen to believe that a sportcoat and Gucci loafers are de riguer for the bar, and close to that for the beach!:D

!

Amen, brotha.

Hi Ian,

I'm the one who started the thread this "Husband never knows where he's going" and no offense intended.

I don't believe my DH is helpless. He could EASILY write the same on a car forum (he probably does) about me. He works on a vintage Porsche that I bought years ago, does all the mechanical on it, and keeps detailed to perfection. I love tracking the car and the sweet road trips we take together. But it tickles DH that I show no interest in it's maintenance.

You'll probably read "Petoonya never knows what she's doing" somewhere else. She especially doesn't know what she's doing in the kitchen.

I don't understand this snide post. I get the distinct feeling that someone's manhood feels threatened. ;) I'm sure the men who are comfortable with their wives' packing their suitcases are not helpless, in fact they may be very smart.

By the way, my husband packs his but wouldn't mind if I did his too.

I don't understand this snide post. I get the distinct feeling that someone's manhood feels threatened. ;) I'm sure the men who are comfortable with their wives' packing their suitcases are not helpless, in fact they may be very smart.

By the way, my husband packs his but wouldn't mind if I did his too.

I agree. My husband is very smart. He's just figured me out and takes advantage of it. I enjoying doing the planning, packing, etc and I'm sort of a control freak too. :D

Archived