How strict are cathedrals on dress?

ajaxup

Going to the mediterranean next two weeks on the Solstice. Tours I've booked in Venice (St. Marks Basilica), Barcelona (Sagrada Familia) and Rome (Vatican) go to cathedrals, etc which say to wear clothes covering shoulders and knees. It's going to be hot (90's) at these ports so long pants don't sound real comfortable but I'd like to not be turned away from these sites. Anybody with past experience know how strict they are when tourists visit during hot weather and have on shorts like Burmuda length-- not short shorts?

Have seen people be handed "disposable" coverups by some tour guides -- they are very strict at the entrances -- you will probably be turned away in shorts

This is from the Wikipedia page:

A dress code is enforced for entry into St. Peter's Basilica. The code is based upon what is considered "modest" and "appropriate" dress for visiting a Catholic church, and tourists and visitors are reminded that, although St. Peter's is an architectural and artistic monument, it is first a place of worship and prayer. The dress code forbids:

hats for lay men inside the basilica

shorts/skirts above the knees

sleeveless shirts

shirts exposing the navel

shirts for women that expose cleavage

shirts which contain profanity

excessive jewellery

The use of mobile phones is also prohibited, as is smoking.

I've heard by Vatican they sell paper shirts and pants - this was posted on a travel website, and nobody said it's not true.

If you are a female, bring 2 lightweight scarves, one for shoulders, another to make a skirt.

Going to the mediterranean next two weeks on the Solstice. Tours I've booked in Venice (St. Marks Basilica), Barcelona (Sagrada Familia) and Rome (Vatican) go to cathedrals, etc which say to wear clothes covering shoulders and knees. It's going to be hot (90's) at these ports so long pants don't sound real comfortable but I'd like to not be turned away from these sites. Anybody with past experience know how strict they are when tourists visit during hot weather and have on shorts like Burmuda length-- not short shorts?

Yes, they are strict. Their church, their rules! If it's hot, it's hot for everyone and most people comply. It's really a matter of respecting the culture.

As long as shoulders and knees are covered, you should be OK. Have you considered the type of trousers with zip-off legs, so that you can have your knees covered for the cathedral, but convert the pants back to shorts for the rest of the day? We used those for visiting temples in Asia, which is equally hot.

Personally, this is too easy....wear pants and appropraite dress or dont go there. Not sure why a pair of pants is so difficult.

Now that I pontificated (good word for discussing going to the Vatican!), how about the zippered pants. I love them. You can walk around in shorts then zip on the legs when needed.

Problem solved. Enjoy your shorts and enjoy being properly dressed without being embarrased by some guy handing you a set of paper pants. They arent free by the way.

I hate to even bring this up, but you do realize that Celebrity doesn't allow shorts into the MDR for dinner any night, including the Formal nights.

Edit: You mean this is a thread with a woman asking about only wearing shorts? Wow, no insult to the OP, but it is refreshing to see such quesitons not just coming from men.

Den

I just returned from a Solstice cruise that involved all three sights and I can confirm that St. Marks and the Vatican are very strict about the dress code. Our guide in Rome carried some extra wraps. At St. Marks, they sell paper scarfs when you walk in. Yes it is hot, but these are the rules if you want to see these beautiful sights.

When we vacationed in Italy, I saw people turned away for inappropriate dress. To keep my life easy, I either wore a longish peasant style skirt or capris, and carried a scarf in my backpack to cover up my top.

While I don't want to sound sarcastic, when visiting other countries we really need to be sensitive to the values of those cultures. Visiting another country with different values is one of the attractions of travel.

There are a number of sleeveless long sundresses that are cut a little higher around the neck. They are very cool to wear, and many of the skirts are long and narrow enough that during windy conditions they don't blow too high. Such a dress with a shawl or lightweight cotton sweater (which can be rolled up in a small tote bag when not needed) works well.

I forgot to mention that the guys (including my son who was 10 at the time) had brought a couple of pair of the pants with the zip off legs. They'd just wear those when we had cathedral visits planned for the day. We'd pull everything out of my backpack and do a quick change before going in to tour. I think we bought them from EMS or REI and they were made out of a very cool, light-weight fabric that was easy to handwash in the bathroom sink when necessary.

great advise fro all posters.

The proper dress is for all churches in Europe.

I wear capris and a short sleeve top.

Also, be aware that many times there is a Mass going on in the church. You can still walk around the side altars and side areas.

In fact, anyone can light a candle and sit and pray in your own way.

Enjoy these beautiful places.

Men in Europe almost always were long pants. Women tend to wear skirts or long pants- just an observation.

If you don't want to stick out like a tourist wear black shoes or sandals- never white tennis shoes.

I dated a guy in Italy and he wouldn't be seen with me in my white dock shoes! LOL.

Your arms and legs need to be covered. Carry a shawl and wrap it over you like a skirt.Where a top with sleeves. If you want to wear a tank carry a sweater with a short sleeve for wearing in the churches.

Our experience, based on numerous trips to Italy, is different.

First of all, it very much depends on the catherdral. St. Peters is a little different because they verify dress as you go through security. A number of cathedrals do not have any staff monitoring the entry way.

For women, long sleeves are not a requisite. You may be asked to cover bare shoulders. Put something over your shorts or just wear a skirt. You can actually get an idea of what is acceptable at St. Peters by looking at the internations signs beside the security machine.

Don't worry about looking like a tourist. Even if you change those shoes, tourist stick out like a sore thumb to locals so there is really no point to that.

In my travels I've always found it best to respect the culture of the country you're visiting, regardless of what you might be able to get away with.

Of course this is the right answer. I don't care how hot it is, when touring in European or Asian cities, entering churches and other sacred places, shorts are NEVER ever acceptable. Wear a loose cotton jersey dress and have a large scarf available to cover cleavage and shoulders. When in Asia take black ankle socks to wear after removing shoes to enter temples. Capris with a 3/4 length sleeved blouse or shirt are OK, but a dress is best.

I truly fail to understand the penchant that people have about wearing shorts while touring. I've traveled more than extensively in some of the hottest places on the planet, using the advice I've just given. Really, capris or a dress are much cooler than having the sun beating down on legs hanging out of shorts.

Earlier this month it was hotter than Texas when we were on the Solstice. Even still it's not too hard to dress cool and still be covered up enough to pass muster in the churches (and, as everyone has said, they are indeed strict about respectful clothing). There are lots of clothes on the market that light-weight, perspiration-wicking, and modest. We shopped at Sierra Trading Post (on-line) for clothing from Columbia and Ex Officio. You can buy pants from them that are convertible--they have the zipper so you can turn them into shorts when you zip off the legs. Problem solved! Same thing with tops, both mens' and womens'. It's easy to find travel clothing that beats the heat but still covers up kneecaps and shoulders. BTW, you'll love your cruise on the Solstice and all the places she takes you to. Have fun!

Here is a thread that came up several months ago on the Italy Boards that may be of interest...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1610946

...where I posted this:

I lived in Italy for two years and about once a month would take the train up to Rome to see the numerous historical sites and visit museums. Several times a year I would host a group to include Vatican City and St. Peter's Basilica and I would always make it a point to advise those going with us of the correct dress for a visit to what is considered one of the holiest Catholic sites and one of the greatest sites in all of the Christian world. And I think people forget that point specifically; that this is not a sightseeing attraction, it's not a theme park, and it's not just another place for tourists to head to. This is a working Papal Basilica, a holy place of pilgrimage for hundreds of millions of Christians around the world, a burial site containing the tombs for over 100 people including 91 Popes as well as the apostle for Jesus Christ, Saint Peter, and the current Pope's principal church. The dignity and sanctity of this place must be observed at all times, and this includes abiding by a strict dress code whether it makes you uncomfortable or not.

Its interesting reading these posts. Not only are shorts not acceptable culturally in many places or in such relgious venues, but in truth, arent that good for keeping cool in hot, humid areas. The body sweats to keep it cool and regulated. When you have bare skin, the sweat evaporates quickly and you sweat more to keep cool.This results in more water-loss and the body working harder to regulate its temp. The Best clothing to keep cool in covers the skin, not exposes it.

So quit with the shorts. Wear loose-fitting clothing such as dresses, loose pants, light cotten shirts and so on. Long sleeves, pants, dresses, flowing shari's, loose clothing, headgear. All this is worn by people who live in hot, humid areas. Its tourists who walk in wearing shorts, minimal t-shirts and tanktops thinking they are keeping 'cool'.

So if you want to wearing appropirate clothing, not just culturally appropriate, try covering all that skin up. Then you are acceptable for body-cooling, entering a church, being in another culture, etc.

Den

When we went to the Vatican I packed a sun dress that had cap sleeves (so my shoulders were covered) and wore leggings under it. If you don't have any dresses with sleeves, bring a wrap to wear around your shoulders.

I usually don't wear leggings (actually, I think visiting the Vatican is the *only* time I've worn them) but it worked out well because my knees were definitely covered.

Oh, come on, where are all the Anti-Dress Code posters?? Why arent you posting about how this is Your vacation, how you Paid to enter this church, how the locals should join the 21st Century and quit with the rediculous retrictions. I mean, it is limiting our shorts/tanktop/inappropriate-references-on-a-TShirt crowd and is so unfair. And shouldnt we be getting the 'I saw one guy in the Vatican in shorts so its OK for all of us' post??

Im really upset those that insist on not following guidelines onboard arent on this thread bigtime....oh, maybe its because not wearing the apropriate dress is so obvious. Oh well, so much for the back and forth fun and zest of Dress Code threads....I guess it is appropriate to wear the appropraite clothing only when you agree, or know you might get hit by a lightning bolt for tourking off the wrong guy!

Disclaimer: every time I get too cute, someone misunderstands my tongue-in-cheek....this isnt aimed at the OP who asked a legit question, this isnt aimed at those that for whatever reason dont take formal gear and dine elsewhere....it isnt aimed at those that think its OK to wear whatever they wish whereever they wish whenever they wish because it doesnt bother Them......ooops, it Is aimed at them!

Den

They are VERY strict! I know you didn't mention this particular Cathedral, but we recently returned from Italy, where we attempted to visit the Duomo in Milan. They had a sign that much more detailed than the one at the Vatican. I knew all about covering arms and knees, but was not prepared for wearing "ripped" jeans. My daughter's capris were the new style that are distressed and came with a few tears in them. We were denied access. We say many people being turned away. Also saw many people turned away at the Vatican in shorts.

Archived