How strict are cathedrals on dress?

ajaxup

All this talk of the Sistine Chapel has me remembering our visits there and the incredible beauty of the Chapel and St. Peters.

You can go to the Sistine Chapel right this very second, and not worry about the dress code, by following this link to a fantastic virtual tour. Use your mouse to look around and zoom in and out:

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

Don't forget to look up!

When you're done viewing the Sistine Chapel you can go to St. Peters. No need to wait in lines nor cover your shoulders or knees, just click here:

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_pietro/vr_tour/index-en.html

Enjoy!

you need Tickets..well in advance. We were there in November ant the line was a good 3/4 of a mile long. Security was strict..very We had a private guide and she had to present her credentials and the advance tickets.

The line to get in the cathedral its self was only 1/3 of a mile.

I was there 5 years prior and things have changed... I got in then with a friend who was a Priest, ( we had no problem)

Based on this latest experience, 1. get a private tour, 2. Book well in advance. 3. expect lines wven with a tour beyond your dreams.

4. I did not see a way to get from the Museum to the church... locked off.

For clarity, you do not need a ticket to get into Saint Peter's Basilica. It is free, but there is a security checkpoint. For the museum (and Sistine chapel), you need a ticket and definitely it is a good idea to pre-reserve your ticket -- the lines can be killer during the peak of the tourist season.

I wore capris and was fine. I did see a young girl in short shorts that put a pareo over her shorts. Our friend wore a sundress that covered the knees. She did put a jacket on-our guide said they had paper pants covers for men could buy to put on over their shorts. However I did see men in shorts in there-not sure how they were allowed in.

However women do not need to cover their heads as I have been told.

• 4 weeks later...
I toured Sagrada Familia and wore shorts. Many people there were wearing shorts. I've seen people turned away in Rome's Basillica but not in the Sistine Chapel or Museum.

Sagrada Familia was just consecrated as a church last year so if you visited it before that it was only a building site not an official church. That might have had an influence on their dress code.

I toured Sagrada Familia and wore shorts. Many people there were wearing shorts. I've seen people turned away in Rome's Basillica but not in the Sistine Chapel or Museum.

Sagrada Familia was just consecrated as a church last year so if you visited it before that it was only a building site not an official church. That might have had an influence on their dress code.

I've been in the Cathedral in Barcelona in shorts and seen others there wearing shorts. They are not as strict as the Churches in Italy.

Men in Europe almost always were long pants. Women tend to wear skirts or long pants- just an observation.

If you don't want to stick out like a tourist wear black shoes or sandals- never white tennis shoes.

I dated a guy in Italy and he wouldn't be seen with me in my white dock shoes! LOL.

I saw plenty of locals dressed casually and in athletic shoes back in June. I do not think that is true anymore.

On days with church outings I usually wear skirts to knees

I always carry a long sleeve cotton shirts to cover shoulders and arms .you could also carry a pashmina ...both do the trick

Men need shorts to knees as well

My skirt is really a short ...I love and always take it with me .ideal tour garment

-I was in Bali, and went to the temple of Besaki. near Denpessar ( non christian).. I had shorts and had to rent a Sulu to cover my legs

Respect is a unversal ideal to be practiced when and where ever:D.

There are and will always be thoes who reject any adherance to convention and seek to do their own thing with selfish abandon

Going to the mediterranean next two weeks on the Solstice. Tours I've booked in Venice (St. Marks Basilica), Barcelona (Sagrada Familia) and Rome (Vatican) go to cathedrals, etc which say to wear clothes covering shoulders and knees. It's going to be hot (90's) at these ports so long pants don't sound real comfortable but I'd like to not be turned away from these sites. Anybody with past experience know how strict they are when tourists visit during hot weather and have on shorts like Burmuda length-- not short shorts?

Haven't read the replies so far, but our answer is 'very' ! Rome inparticular.

We tend to wear our shorts and t shirts and carry long trousers / skirts to go over our legs and I carry a sarong to cover my shoulders. Never fails and can be removed ASAP after the visit. Just make sure that your knees are covered and a shawl / sarong covers your shoulders or you WILL be turned away.

Going to the mediterranean next two weeks on the Solstice. Tours I've booked in Venice (St. Marks Basilica), Barcelona (Sagrada Familia) and Rome (Vatican) go to cathedrals, etc which say to wear clothes covering shoulders and knees. It's going to be hot (90's) at these ports so long pants don't sound real comfortable but I'd like to not be turned away from these sites. Anybody with past experience know how strict they are when tourists visit during hot weather and have on shorts like Burmuda length-- not short shorts?

NOW it's time for Formalwear as the preferred mode of dress. Can't show any more respect than THAT! :)

Regards, Ned

I've heard by Vatican they sell paper shirts and pants - this was posted on a travel website, and nobody said it's not true.

If you are a female, bring 2 lightweight scarves, one for shoulders, another to make a skirt.

Last year a lady from the US infront of us in the queue for the Vatican has waited an hour. She had a 'vest'top on and shorts ---- she was turned away at the last check point with no chance to buy anything. It really isn't worth the chance ------- she was refused and her family were let through

Archived