NCL now charging for infants

mcohen73

every cruise lines have been charging 2 and under. So it has been generous of NCL to offer free to those infants. We've already booked a 10 days NCL cruise, and we saved $300 before the latest change. It's a shame though NCL won't be our preferred cruise line anymore :(

So you're saying you only preferred NCL because is was less expensive?

Families with Kids vs Adults who prefer to cruise in the company of Adults is nothing new. Adults who don't want to take a chance that their cruise will be ruined by a child should avoid the "family friendliest" cruiselines and travel while kids are in school. Families who want to avoid the stares of said adults should stick to the "family friendliest" cruiselines and travel when school is out. These simple ideas will increase your chances of having a wonderful cruise.

Families with Kids vs Adults who prefer to cruise in the company of Adults is nothing new. Adults who don't want to take a chance that their cruise will be ruined by a child should avoid the "family friendliest" cruiselines and travel while kids are in school. Families who want to avoid the stares of said adults should stick to the "family friendliest" cruiselines and travel when school is out. These simple ideas will increase your chances of having a wonderful cruise.

Actually, those of us who prefer NCL

due to it's great suite perks should be able to enjoy it and co-exist with families.

It's just as easy to have your cruise affected by a crying baby, a drunk or any other inconsiderate cruiser be it line-cutting, smoking, chair hogging or the like. There will always be people who consider only themselves and justify breaking rules (just read the food ashore and liquor smuggling threads).

But it would take a lot for my cruise to be impacted, certainly not ruined! If anything ever were to escalate to coming near that I might talk to someone in authority who would be able to step in when obviously the person in question is not willing to monitor themselves.

I may not agree with someone's choice to travel with an infant but it is allowed and I certainly respect their right to do so.

And dwjoe, not all posts since page 2 have been mean-spirited. One can give a point of view, even a contrary one, with tact and kindness.

Actually, those of us who prefer NCL

due to it's great suite perks should be able to enjoy it and co-exist with families.

It's just as easy to have your cruise affected by a crying baby, a drunk or any other inconsiderate cruiser be it line-cutting, smoking, chair hogging or the like. There will always be people who consider only themselves and justify breaking rules (just read the food ashore and liquor smuggling threads).

But it would take a lot for my cruise to be impacted, certainly not ruined! If anything ever were to escalate to coming near that I might talk to someone in authority who would be able to step in when obviously the person in question is not willing to monitor themselves.

I may not agree with someone's choice to travel with an infant but it is allowed and I certainly respect their right to do so.

And dwjoe, not all posts since page 2 have been mean-spirited. One can give a point of view, even a contrary one, with tact and kindness.

I agree that most people can co-exist but for those that have more difficulty adapting, my suggestions will increase their chances of having a wonderful vacation and really isn't that why we work in the first place.:)

Well where else are you going to go? All the other cruise lines have been charging for infants for years. Now they are all on the same wave length. Are you saying you only sailed NCL because they didn't charge for kids under 2?

That is a rather silly statement.

every cruise lines have been charging 2 and under. So it has been generous of NCL to offer free to those infants. We've already booked a 10 days NCL cruise, and we saved $300 before the latest change. It's a shame though NCL won't be our preferred cruise line anymore :(

I agree that most people can co-exist but for those that have more difficulty adapting, my suggestions will increase their chances of having a wonderful vacation and really isn't that why we work in the first place.:)

I agree with you. If someone has zero tolerance for children, smoking, etc. then NCL may not be the best choice.

If someone wants to take their 2 year old to Cagney's that's their right.

I do not understand what all this complaining is about, I sailed with my 14 month old at the time GD in 2006 on RCCL we had to pay the third person in the cabin price plus port charges & tips. She took up space & all the ammenties that were afforded to her. I took my 3 yr old GS this past Feb & paid for a third person & the DSC. All I can say is all the parents that have brought their under 2 yr olds have been lucky so far not to have been charged on NCL. Times are a changing either pay up or find a cruise line that does not charge it is as simple as that.

I wonder if the charge is something the ports now are requiring? If NCL is paying you can bet you will be...

port charges have always been paid for everyone sailing and if the ports are charging of course the cruise line will: why would they not? As for charging the 3rd and 4th person charge for babies, I don't see why they wouldn't do that as well? Except for running specials, all mass marketed lines charge for children or all I have ever dealt with.

I'm a little confused by your post. You state that all other cruiselines have charged in the past for under 2. Then you say because NCL is going to start doing this, after you have obviously already saved by booking for child/children under 2, that it will no longer be your preferred choice. It appears that must be the only reason you have chosen NCL :confused: and therefore won't choose them in the future. You must have a pile of children under 2 if that would make that great an impact in your decision for the future.

I'm all for NCL charging for infants. The other lines all do and the 3rd/4th rate is not that much more. I dont think this is a dealbreaker. I paid for both of my kids to cruise when they were infants on other lines and am happy to pay for them now that they are older. We love the family cruising experience. My 6 year old has cruised 12 times and my 3 year-old 8 times. We are considerate of others and my children LOVE to cruise. They beg for it. Cruiselines are a business and in this economy must do whatever to survive. i would rather they charge for infants than raise rates entirely.

• 1 month later...

Very Disappointing! I travelled NCL over the other cruise lines for that reason. Booked on the Jewel October 2012 and January 2013 for that reason as I now have a 7 month old. Called to add her to the reservation for October and was told about this policy change that took effect August 1. Customer service rep told me the rate would be at the 3rd person to add a 7 month old. (Phone dropped). After an hour on the phone NCL agreed to charge me what it would have cost (port charges, taxes and fees) prior to the policy change, since I has booked his cruise back in May. No longer any incentives to choose NCL when traveling with kids under 2.

I don't have kids and am not particularly fond of them (blasphemy coming from a couple who've been married for 4.5 years who are 29 and 32!). My little brother and his wife are expecting their first in less than a month and it will be VERY interesting to see our family dynamic change. They don't live anywhere near me so I'll be gradually introduced to the whole baby thing. Maybe I'll even like the thing, who knows? ;)

THANK YOU to the parents who remove their offspring from a public place when they go into meltdown mode. I'd rather listen to just about anything else!

My parents never took us anywhere when we were young, probably because we'd never remember it. I do find this topic interesting, more so now that we'll have a kid around for the first time in 20 something years.

I paid the same on RCC for my 1 year old grandson as I did for the 5 and 6 year old. Everyone thinks that the lines are rolling in money. When I was on the Spirit last week, I tried to fathom how much it costs to run the ship!!! I guess that paying for a kid is just a drop in the bucket.

A moment of inspiration has occurred as I was reflecting on the blue dot.

Let's put a dot-sticker on people who don't like children and think they don't have a place on cruises. That way, everyone will know who they are and parents can keep their kids away from them so we don't ruin their vacations.

Hold the applause. I've always been a problem solver.

That's a great idea! I've been on cruises with and without my kids and my cruise has never been ruined by someone's child. I just don't understand how some people think or fail to think. If someone's child could ruin my cruise then that is a clear indication that I have other issues that I need deal with.

My parents never took us anywhere when we were young, probably because we'd never remember it.

My kids have been traveling the world and cruising since they were infants (they are now 16, 11 and 9). They may not remember it all, but I do and IMO,that's priceless. :)

Believe it or not, of all the cruise lines we have sailed Disney does the best job of keeping the adults and children separated. They strictly enforce their adult only pool, decks, nightclubs and restaurants.

That's a great idea! I've been on cruises with and without my kids and my cruise has never been ruined by someone's child. I just don't understand how some people think or fail to think. If someone's child could ruin my cruise then that is a clear indication that I have other issues that I need deal with.

That really is a great idea

It amazes me to this day how people act in public and their thought process. Cruises have always been a blast for all ages and people, People need to grow up and deal with it. Im starting to think the people who have issues with kids are probably the kids who never got to go on cruises as one.

Lucky for us DD will be 3 on our next cruise and this won't affect us.

This is how I see it, the 3rd person rate on NCL is still lower than most other cruise line rates for 3 per cabin. If DD was younger, we'd still be sailing NCL, as it is one of our cruise line of choice for both price and experiences. I love DCL as well and sail them when I can find a deal, but their cost is still A LOT higher than NCL will ever be, even with a higher rate for under 3's.

Carnival can be just as 'thrifty' but given that the competitive rates are non-refundable.. i'm not ready to take that gamble.

I booked my cruise March 2011 right after me DD was born, she still won't be 2 when we sail in January but when I booked for her and my son they were both $199, while I think under 2 should be free I can certainly see the other side about a free child taking a spot on the ship and the company needing to make more. Also NCL still seems by far the cheapest for additional passengers from my experience of checking around.

Archived