Ryndam, please avoid at all costs

The Londoners

Perhaps some readers recongized the extraordinary circumstances reported on that particular voyage realize that it it was not a typical voyage?

BTW, I didn't read the recommendation that this cruise line was to be avoided...only that ship (and I read between the lines to add: under those conditions, i.e. overcrowding, discount fares, noro virus, unsupervised youths, plumbing mal functions, short-staffed, etc.) No, certainly not the worst cruise, but not my idea of happy times. Maybe it's better if we all take the blinders off and realize that ship happens - hopefully it won't happen on my next voyage - or yours, but sometimes, it does happen! ;):) Regards, -S

P.S. When posts are quoted in part, I appreciate when the words PARTIAL QUOTE are added prior to the partial quote.

As for me, I'm grateful for having learned about the issue of stated passenger capactity vs max passenger capacity as a result of your thread. My hope is that as a result of the experience you related, parents are made more aware of the havoc unsupervised youths can create, and that HAL and other cruise lines recognize that the when passenger count is dramatically increased, so should the staff be increased - to do otherwise is to create a hazardous environment (necessitating disembarkation of culprits), overwork the crew, inconvenience and disappoint passengers - all of which is bad for business.

I doubt those parents care much about what people think of their little angels; if they did, they would have raised them better. :)

Perhaps some readers recongized the extraordinary circumstances reported on that particular voyage realize that it it was not a typical voyage?

BTW, I didn't read the recommendation that this cruise line was to be avoided...only that ship (and I read between the lines to add: under those conditions, i.e. overcrowding, discount fares, noro virus, unsupervised youths, plumbing mal functions, short-staffed, etc.)

The title of the thread seems to say something different (about the ship): "Ryndam, please avoid at all costs" (emphasis mine)

P.S. When posts are quoted in part, I appreciate when the words PARTIAL QUOTE are added prior to the partial quote.

I don't recall ever seeing that done on the boards. :) And I just partially quoted you! :D I tend to just quote the relevant part instead of the whole post - and try not to make it appear to have been taken out of context.

I don't recall ever seeing that done on the boards. :) And I just partially quoted you! :D I tend to just quote the relevant part instead of the whole post - and try not to make it appear to have been taken out of context.

That's what most people do. As long as the context is there then there's no need to point out what's NOT quoted. And people can scroll up to see the entire message if they wish.

Do yourself a big favour and don't book this ship. Youths running amok (3 disembarked due to bad behaviour) adults unable to use pools or hot tubs as constantly full of children, who spend their nights running up and down corridors and stairs.

However that is the tip of the iceberg. No spare cabins due to overbooking (1370 onboard instead of 1250) so the people whose cabins have had flooded toilets numerous) have had to remain there, norovirus rife despite denials, among crew and passengers, a good number of whom have sworn theoir hand hygiene is excellent. Dirty ship, drainage and plumbing problems leading to fould stenches around the ship with the message 'the smells won't make you ill' if you complain I and senior Officers making themselves very scarce and unwilling to speak to disgruntled.

passengers..

We need a holiday to recover from this 'holiday'!

Since when HAL ships full of kids? specially old and small ship? very strange.

Since when HAL ships full of kids? specially old and small ship? very strange.

As was discussed in several posts, this was during a school holiday period. Any ship can have lots of kids during that time, especially if the cruise line is running a sale on 3rd and 4th pax. (I don't know if a fare sale was to blame here)

If you go back through the last 10-20 posts, you'll see that others who were on the cruise verified that there were lots of kids, some of them very unruly.

It happens. Even on HAL.

Some people insert <ship> to show where parts of a long post have been left out.

Want to avoid kids ? Then book a cruise in the Sept to May slot and avoid holidays. In addition, book a cruise that is at leasts 10 days or more. The parents will take kids out of school for a week, but when it runs into the second week you find less parents will take their children out of school for two weeks.

Works for us.

Hi Boytjie. You haven't seen it on the Cunard boards? I've seen your posts and some of your very helpful photos there, that's why I mention that board in particular - it's pretty much standard practice there. Anyway, I simply commented that I appreciate when partial quotes are labeled as such because the quote is taken out of context. People then know to scroll up for the complete post, if desired. Anyway, no big deal, just something I personally appreciate.:) Cheers, S.

Complete Quote: :D

Hi Boytjie. You haven't seen it on the Cunard boards? I've seen your posts and some of your very helpful photos there, that's why I mention that board in particular - it's pretty much standard practice there. Anyway, I simply commented that I appreciate when partial quotes are labeled as such because the quote is taken out of context. People then know to scroll up for the complete post, if desired. Anyway, no big deal, just something I personally appreciate.:) Cheers, S.

I don't recall seeing it even on the Cunard boards. If I see a quote and feel a need to get a better understanding I just clink on the link to the relevant post.

I think too often people leave the whole quote in place (or even quote it for no good reason!) and you have to read through the whole quote to get to the relevant past. :)

Want to avoid kids ? Then book a cruise in the Sept to May slot and avoid holidays. In addition, book a cruise that is at leasts 10 days or more. The parents will take kids out of school for a week, but when it runs into the second week you find less parents will take their children out of school for two weeks.

Works for us.

This was a 20 day cruise with 170 kids. Reason why so many children very simple. Price reductions. For us being 4* Mariner it is a huge disappointment to see HAL going down and fill up ships at very cheap prices. Pity but true.

I too was on the same cruise as The Londoners. 21st July to 10th August. Dover to Dover. There were unsupervised teenagers and children causing problems for other passengers. We had a very nice family with a 16 years old on our dining table. He told us of two 19 year olds and their guardian being put off the ship for drunkeness, drug misuse and abusing passengers. It was also stated that Captain Rowden addressed all the youths and warned them about their behaviour. He then went on to speak to several youths and their parents individually.

Novo Virus was rife on board. There were daily reminders about higene over the tannoys and each evening, crew including entertainment staff and even the cruise director could be seen washing and sanitising public areas. It is also correct that the toilets at various time 'backed up' or wouldn't flush causing smells in the cabins and corridors.

BUT.... I had a good cruise, it was basic and in no way could it be descibed as luxury. Value for money is the phrase I would use, I paid a cheap price and got a decent cheap cruise. Would I recommend HAL to a friend as a luxury line..no. I will most probabley give them another go to see if this cruise was just an abberation or if there standards are that of other budget cruise lines. Hardydog

Welcome to Cruise Critic hartydog.

Thanks for the review of that same cruise from your prospective. Seems to me that you have a pretty good attitude about a cruise that was not perfect. I certainly hope that if you do take another Hal cruise it turns out better for you.

Ryndam is headed for upgrade this Fall in Bahamas. I have never had any problems during my 6 cruises on Ryndam as they have many cruises out of Tampa. My latest was 13 days Dover to Norway on May 24. it was perfect. Never had any complaints about children. Generally I hardly ever see any. I have often wondered about why they even have the HAL section as I never see anyone in it.

Ralph

Indeed. We were "special":D:D:D

And to KirkNC - we certainly accentuated the positives on our cruise, but it made no difference to the usual cheer-leaders.

Actually my comments were direct at the OP, the title is bound to stir things up.

Ryndam is headed for upgrade this Fall in Bahamas. I have never had any problems during my 6 cruises on Ryndam as they have many cruises out of Tampa. My latest was 13 days Dover to Norway on May 24. it was perfect. Never had any complaints about children. Generally I hardly ever see any. I have often wondered about why they even have the HAL section as I never see anyone in it.

Ralph

I looked at the list of cruises in your signature. You haven't cruised a lot in the summer. That's when families cruise. (see post quoted below)

Works for us.

I agree that's a good strategy. But not everyone has the flexibility or vacation days to do that. Until DH retired from teaching, we were forced to travel during school vacations--when all the families with school-age kids were off. And during the most expensive travel times.

His retirement opened a whole new world of travel possibilities. Now we rarely travel during the summer.

This was a 20 day cruise with 170 kids. Reason why so many children very simple. Price reductions. For us being 4* Mariner it is a huge disappointment to see HAL going down and fill up ships at very cheap prices. Pity but true.

170 kids its nothing on cruise ship. Probably problem is when 4* mariners think ships belong to them and make faces when they see kids . Sorry but HAL is mass market line with mass market price.

We find this thread somewhat amusing, but perhaps that is because we cruise on many different lines and have previously enountered what we think of as the "Holland America Attitude." It goes something like this. "We are old, loyal HA cruisers (never understood loyalty to a single travel provider), like to cruise with other old people, do not like children, etc etc." Ok, perhaps we are not being totally fair but we honestly have heard this type of attitude on HA. I should add (before we get flamed) that we are old (seniors), loyal HA cruisers (4 Star) but do also like other lines, and also do not want to be on a ship full of kids :). But, HA runs a business and they are going to fill every berth if its possible. If you want to avoid lots of children you need to simply take longer cruises when schools are in session (this has already been suggested in another post).

Hank

170 kids its nothing on cruise ship. Probably problem is when 4* mariners think ships belong to them and make faces when they see kids . Sorry but HAL is mass market line with mass market price.

So ill-behaved children are something we should look forward to?? Ill-behaved parents of said children??

So ill-behaved children are something we should look forward to?? Ill-behaved parents of said children??

Children is children ,they loud,they splash water and they run if you or I love it or not. Hal is not adult only cruise line so no point to complain about 170 kids on board or bring 4* mariner cart to flush.RElly not a big deal to have one ,my 5 years old is 2* now) Just because some kid run in hollway its no reason to jump overboard. If its unruled teens crew mamberes should take care of them and there parents.If you dont like kids onboard try adult only cruises or privet Yaht.

Children is children ,they loud,they splash water and they run if you or I love it or not. Hal is not adult only cruise line so no point to complain about 170 kids on board or bring 4* mariner cart to flush.RElly not a big deal to have one ,my 5 years old is 2* now) Just because some kid run in hollway its no reason to jump overboard. If its unruled teens crew mamberes should take care of them and there parents.If you dont like kids onboard try adult only cruises or privet Yaht.

I agree that children are children and they're loud etc.. It is natural but that does not mean older people have to enjoy listening to the racket. We have been there, done that and paid our dues. Now we want a little peace and quiet on vacation.

I am not complaining. I'm just saying there is no reason to expect us to enjoy it.

I agree that children are children and they're loud etc.. It is natural but that does not mean older people have to enjoy listening to the racket. We have been there, done that and paid our dues. Now we want a little peace and quiet on vacation.

I want peace on vacation as much as you do ,and I love HAL because they have less kids (even if I cruise with my DD):p but what we want and what we get its not the same. HAL has kids club and they want young families with kids . so its take it or live it . More and more kids gonna be on cruises .

I want peace on vacation as much as you do ,and I love HAL because they have less kids (even if I cruise with my DD):p but what we want and what we get its not the same. HAL has kids club and they want young families with kids . so its take it or live it . More and more kids gonna be on cruises .

I have a feeling we will be "living" it on our next cruise. :D

I've no problem with children on a cruise. I do have a problem with unruly, unthinking, ignorant, and unmannerly people no matter what their age. And, no, I don't feel the need to put up with it.

Civilized behavior is something everyone - even toddlers - are capable of.

Archived