Ryndam, please avoid at all costs

The Londoners

This is why we only cruise while schools are in session. Never during the summer. All of our HAL cruises have been nice and peaceful.

igraf

Hi, agree the maximum occupancy should not be exceeded but Captain Rowden himself proudly announced the occupancy at his onstage 'welcome, to a large audience. Senior crew members confirmed and justified by saying the 1250 applies to 2 people per cabin, but on this cruise they have sold 3 and 4 places per cabin at stupidly low prices (hence the high number of children onboard).

The voyage is the Dover to Dover 20 nights (alternatively Amsterdam to Amsterdam 21 night) Mediterranean.

Departure 21 July from Dover

Hope this is clearer.

The Ryndam seems to have more than its share of plumbing and norro virus problems. Not too surprising that these two problems go hand in hand. Disgusting to even think about it. Time for a serious overall of the sewage system.

igraf

I sympathize with your dreadful experience. There is much to be said for not traveling over holidays where there are apt to be a multitude of children. But . . . the Ryndam is a lovely ship and we never experienced these problems. What I don't understand is why people who have had bad experiences automatically assume that those conditions exist on every cruise of that particular ship and on every ship in the cruiseline. Logic dictates otherwise - as shown by endless, conflicting perceptions of a particular cruise. One person's experience does not translate into the norm.

We look forward with great anticipation to our November, 2013 TA cruise back to Tampa. Can't wait!

What an excellent idea!

If you happen to have the misfortune of being in a cabin that has ongoing plumbing problems or children running up and down the hallway banging on the doors in the middle of the night, it is no consolation whatsoever to to be told that someone else on the same ship did not have such problems.

Nobody is assuming that those conditions exist on every cruise or every ship.

The point is that there is no way of knowing in advance with certainty on which ship or which cruise such things will or will not occur.

When they do occur, we have no way of knowing in advance on which cruises the problems will be addressed and immediately corrected, and on which cruises they will not.

Even knowing how such problems were handled on one particular ship at one particular time is no predictor of how it may be handled by a different staff at another time.

It is very easy to say "we never experienced these problems" and make light of them.......... until they happen to you.

Very well said. I agree each cruiise on each ship can be different depending on a number of factors, passenger demographics among them.

It is amusing that so many will respond to a negative review that their cruise some weeks earlier on the same ship was problem free. Wonderful they had a great time, but it is not the case on all sailings of the same ship, and all posters are deserving of respect.

The Ryndam seems to have more than its share of plumbing and norro virus problems. Not too surprising that these two problems go hand in hand. Disgusting to even think about it. Time for a serious overall of the sewage system.

igraf

Not sure why you say that as no one who has cruised on her in the past 4 months (except the OP) reports either having or hearing have plumbing and noro problems.

Two years ago, we were on a AUS - NZ cruise during school holidays down under. Apparently the ship had had some problems on the previous cruise with young people running amok. During lifeboat drill, the Captain thanked us for our participation, then discussed the issues from the previous cruise including the early disembarkation of offenders and their families. He then stated that there would be a zero tolerance policy on this cruise. You could have heard a pin drop. AFAIK, there were NO issues.

It starts and ends at the TOP!

these brat do not have to stick things down a toliet. they can keep pushing the bottom over and over. this has happened to me in hotel rooms kids jumping on bed to bed and hitting the floor.

If I was on a cruise ship and these brats woke me up from a nap. I would wait for early morning and head for the house phone and call them waking them up and just say Ohh you were sleeping sorry maybe now you will not wake me up tonight. I would do this a few hours.

Last year I was taking a nap and there were 3 little girls (grammer school) they were running up and down the coridor of the ship yelling like little girls do. I open the door and said very poilty some people are trying to take naps could you please be a little quite. They all apolized. the parents knocked on my door later and asked what the probably was. I explained I was trying to nap and they apollized and made the girls appolize again. they never ran up and down the hall again and the were quite. these are good parents.

What an excellent idea!

I wish that all cruise lines would do that, on all ships.

We are among those who tend to avoid the shorter cruises during school vacation times, which helps a lot but is still no guarantee as there are always the exceptions.

If you happen to have the misfortune of being in a cabin that has ongoing plumbing problems or children running up and down the hallway banging on the doors in the middle of the night, it is no consolation whatsoever to to be told that someone else on the same ship did not have such problems.

The point is that there is no way of knowing in advance with certainty on which ship or which cruise such things will or will not occur.

When they do occur, we have no way of knowing in advance on which cruises the problems will be addressed and immediately corrected, and on which cruises they will not.

Even knowing how such problems were handled on one particular ship at one particular time is no predictor of how it may be handled by a different staff at another time.

It is very easy to say "we never experienced these problems" and make light of them.......... until they happen to you.

I entirely agree. I have been on a number of ships that other people have reported problems on - sometimes even the same cruise. I seldom respond in such cases because I have nothing to say, other than we were fortunate to have no problems. And then earlier this year I found myself on the other side of the coin... having enormous problems with plumbing, a/c, front office etc etc. Couldn't say I hadn't been warned because these same problems had been reported over and over again on this board for the previous 6 months at least. And then I was one of the unlucky ones to experience them. And of course I got slammed for reporting such, with some posters rushing to say they'd never had a problem and one actually saying those of us on the cruise ship at the time, reporting in, were trolls.

My point is, you can be on the exact-same ship at the same time, and have a vastly different experience (though on two occasions everyone throughout our cruise experienced the same things: 1) no working toilets at all throughout the ship for a whole day:eek:, and 2) no a/c all day throughout in a very hot climate.) You can come back and post a glowing review or a slamming review - and both would be right;)

FWIW, I've also had a problem-free cruise in the past on the Ryndam. But that has absolutely no bearing on the OP's experience.

If we just take a moment before jumping in and hitting "submit reply", perhaps this forum could get back to what it used to be - helpful and friendly.

We did an Easter cruise on the "O" in 2010 that had 552 kids on board!!(including our daughter) HAL had planned well for it with extra staff brought on to help. Though it was a little noisier and the housekeeping staff was run a little ragged, overall it was really a good trip.

I entirely agree. I have been on a number of ships that other people have reported problems on - sometimes even the same cruise. I seldom respond in such cases because I have nothing to say, other than we were fortunate to have no problems. And then earlier this year I found myself on the other side of the coin... having enormous problems with plumbing, a/c, front office etc etc. Couldn't say I hadn't been warned because these same problems had been reported over and over again on this board for the previous 6 months at least. And then I was one of the unlucky ones to experience them. And of course I got slammed for reporting such, with some posters rushing to say they'd never had a problem and one actually saying those of us on the cruise ship at the time, reporting in, were trolls.

My point is, you can be on the exact-same ship at the same time, and have a vastly different experience (though on two occasions everyone throughout our cruise experienced the same things: 1) no working toilets at all throughout the ship for a whole day:eek:, and 2) no a/c all day throughout in a very hot climate.) You can come back and post a glowing review or a slamming review - and both would be right;)

FWIW, I've also had a problem-free cruise in the past on the Ryndam. But that has absolutely no bearing on the OP's experience.

If we just take a moment before jumping in and hitting "submit reply", perhaps this forum could get back to what it used to be - helpful and friendly.

Thank you for saying that and I couldn't agree more!

And thank you to the OP and to all that take the time to tell of their positive AND negative experiences.

such problems.

Actually, that appears to be exactly what the OP was assuming: "Ryndam, please avoid at all costs". . . "We will never sail HAL again."

Hence, the reason for my prior post. I was not challenging the OP's bad experience. I was challenging the "broad brush" nature of the criticism.

Actually, that appears to be exactly what the OP was assuming: "Ryndam, please avoid at all costs". . . "We will never sail HAL again."

Hence, the reason for my prior post. I was not challenging the OP's bad experience. I was challenging the "broad brush" nature of the criticism.

Exactly.

We no longer cruise in summer to avoid cruises with children, best cruise we ever took was on Renaissance Cruises which was adults only and non smoking, too bad they went out of business following 9/11. Wish some other lines would at least have some sailing as adult only I think Celeberity use too but have not heard of that recently.

Try Oceania..It does not cater to children & even mentions that on their WEB site that although children are welcome it does not have children's programs & does not cater to them..On both our Oceania cruises we never saw a child on board..

Just want to throw out another idea--not totally right' date=' but maybe???????

Last year when we were on the Volendam, were considering a cruise on some ship leaving from Dover in July (for the life of me can't remember what ship), but a little later. A lovely British woman that was on our Trivia team told us NOT to take the cruise. It was leaving right at the beginning of the Olympics and that a lot of British were trying to figure how to get out of the area during the Olympics!!!!

Could this be one of the reasons that there are such a large number of children? Families traveling from Great Britain during Olympics.

Maybe I am not right, but this immediately came to mind when I read this.[/quote']

That is a thought & I would bet you are correct

I agree with Tampa Girl..I don't doubt that the OP's cruise was a cruise from &*%$, but to say,

"Ryndam, please avoid at all costs". . . "We will never sail HAL again." is not the way to present a valid complaint..

I'm sure the OP had a horrible time, as I've heard about children running amok before from seasoned cruisers on all lines..However, most experienced cruisers know enough not to travel during school breaks..

I do feel for the OP but question her/his way of presenting a bad cruise experience...There are ways of voicing complaints & this is not the way to do it IMO..

Betty

I totally agree, Tampa Girl.

I don't feel you can fault HAL for your poor cruise experience. Blame the parents of these nasty children. Blame the children for plugging the toilets and blame the children for the spread of norvo.

The only blame to HAL IMO would be the cheap 3rd & 4th passenger fare for this cruise.

Wow, not a fan of children I see!!!:rolleyes: It amazes me that you can sit thousands of miles away at home, and still be so confident as to the blame...... :eek:

I put the blame squarely in HAL's lap, they have basically "given away" 3rd and 4th person berthings on many cruises this season in Europe in hopes of hugely enhanced guest gratuities (2x for a cabin of 4) as well as higher on-board spending revenues.

HAL is ultimately responsible for limiting the mix of children on their ships, something they apparently failed to do at this trip.

I just heard from my friends who are on this Rijndam cruise and they reported there is Noro virus on board so no self service in the Lido restaurant and it slows things down.

They also reported that 1 American family was put off the ship due to their unruly kid(s).

But they are still enjoying the cruise very much.

Regards

Maria

I put the blame squarely in HAL's lap, they have basically "given away" 3rd and 4th person berthings on many cruises this season in Europe in hopes of hugely enhanced guest gratuities (2x for a cabin of 4)

And how do "enhanced gratuities" contribute to HAL's bottom line???

And how do "enhanced gratuities" contribute to HAL's bottom line???

Dave- Gratuities for 2 in a cabin= appx. $24 dollars a day, but 4 in a cabin = $48 dollars a day.......;)

I have never seen an breakdown of exactly how the tip pool is distributed, but I have seen legal papers that suggest that HAL does in fact take a percentage of the gratuity.

The real enhanced revenues though come in spending onboard with a family which was the part of my statement you didn't include. Speaking as a parent who has cruised with my "nasty" children on board, I can tell you that our tab at the end of the cruise was at least double, if not triple, our usual daily spending when our kids cruise with us. This is why HAL loves families and will strive to bring them aboard!

Dave- Gratuities for 2 in a cabin= appx. $24 dollars a day, but 4 in a cabin = $48 dollars a day.......;)

I have never seen an breakdown of exactly how the tip pool is distributed, but I have seen legal papers that suggest that HAL does in fact take a percentage of the gratuity.

"Suggest", yes - sort of like the dress code. Yet every CD tells you that the entire amount goes to the crew. Do you suppose they're all lying?

Wow, not a fan of children I see!!!:rolleyes: It amazes me that you can sit thousands of miles away at home, and still be so confident as to the blame...... :eek:

I put the blame squarely in HAL's lap, they have basically "given away" 3rd and 4th person berthings on many cruises this season in Europe in hopes of hugely enhanced guest gratuities (2x for a cabin of 4) as well as higher on-board spending revenues.

HAL is ultimately responsible for limiting the mix of children on their ships, something they apparently failed to do at this trip.

I think there is something we are missing in this whole story. My sister sailed the Eurodam and there were over 300 children on board! Hal brought on extra people and the children were all well taken care of.

I think the issue here is not the children but teenagers (or maybe even older) who are unruly. At a certain age, one expects one to behave and there is no 'program' for them.

I don't think we can put put the blame fully in HAL's lap on this one. It would be interesting to know how many were really children and how many were in their late teens:confused:

Since a family was put off the ship - that certainly tells us something and I am betting dollars to donuts that they were not young children;)

"Suggest", yes - sort of like the dress code. Yet every CD tells you that the entire amount goes to the crew. Do you suppose they're all lying?

Dave, I would never suggest that.

For sake of peace, I will even concede to you that HAL makes nothing, ever, off of additional gratuities. :rolleyes:

They still make bank on on-board expenditures with families and that has been confirmed to me many time by officers who's business it is to capitalize on that. :D

Why in heavens name would HAL offer so many "free 3rd and 4th passenger" deals if they didn't have a financial incentive to do so? Trust me, it is financially advantageous for them to do so, or they'd cease the practice.

I can see that a 20 day cruise on a smaller ship with lots of teens could be a recipe for disaster.:eek: There is little to nothing for older teens (18-20) to do, they can't drink or go to the teen programs. The Ryndam actually has more facilities for teenagers (13-17) with the Oasis pool and retreat than it has on it's newer ships and larger ships.

We learned to only take cruises:

1. not during any school holiday:mad:

2. avoid any cruise or ship that has a kids sail free:eek:

3. avoid any ship that has kids programs and advertised "family friendly":p

This limits us, but on lines like Oceania and Silver Seas its rare to ever see a child as it is adults pretty much

We now sail longer cruises on smaller ships where the odds are against running into children and their entitled parents are very remote by virtue of the time and the expense.

We learned to only take cruises:

1. not during any school holiday:mad:

2. avoid any cruise or ship that has a kids sail free:eek:

3. avoid any ship that has kids programs and advertised "family friendly":p

This limits us, but on lines like Oceania and Silver Seas its rare to ever see a child as it is adults pretty much

We now sail longer cruises on smaller ships where the odds are against running into children and their entitled parents are very remote by virtue of the time and the expense.

1 and 3 you can be sure of. I'd be unhappy if I booked a cruise and THEN they ran a sale for "kids sail free."

We don't cruise in the summer, and we usually sail for longer than a week. Not everyone has that luxury. When we were both teaching, all our vacation time was at the time when all the kids were on vacation, too.

Archived