10 year old boy...dress code on formal nights

momoftwo11

I am sorry to have to ask this question since there seems to be so many threads on formal dress, but I am curious about children in the MDR during formal nights. Is it expected that my DS should wear a suit and tie or are khakis and polos acceptable for children? We leave tomorrow and just getting packing finalized!

My personal opinion is that at 10, it's never too late to teach a child proper dress when attending something in a more formal setting. A polo and khaki's are best for casual nights and visiting casual restaurants on land. At least a dress shirt, dress slacks and a tie would be a better option.

Personally I think either a suit and tie or some nice trousers, jacket, collared shirt and definitely a tie. Nice shoes too. Tennis shoes might be a bit tacky.

Happy travels!

I am sorry to have to ask this question since there seems to be so many threads on formal dress, but I am curious about children in the MDR during formal nights. Is it expected that my DS should wear a suit and tie or are khakis and polos acceptable for children? We leave tomorrow and just getting packing finalized!

At age ten, my son or grandson would wear something appropriate for a wedding when having dinner in the MDR on Celebrity.

At the least, a white buttoned shirt w/collar and long pants with a belt.

-Marisa

My personal opinion is that at 10, it's never too late to teach a child proper dress when attending something in a more formal setting. A polo and khaki's are best for casual nights and visiting casual restaurants on land. At least a dress shirt, dress slacks and a tie would be a better option.

Agree. Age has nothing to do with the suggested dress guidelines. Infants would be the exception.

Our son has always worn khakis to the MDR ... With a polo on ordinary nights and a collared shirt and tie on Formal Nights.

IMHO he has never looked out of place and has often been complimented. I respect the other opinions above but again IMHO at his age he will (perhaps sadly) be better dressed than many adults and certainly most of his contemporaries.

Have a wonderful cruise.

He will be fine in khaki's and a clean shirt.

There are no doubt some who would like to see every young boy dressed up like a little Lord Fontleroy but it really is not necessary.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Just go and have a wonderful cruise.

Hello,

Firstly, don't let me name mistake me as being truly old ... my son is currently 15. He has been cruising since he was 1, a total of 9 times.

When he was a few days shy of one, we did not have him dress up in a suit, though he did have pants, a dress shirt, and a tie for formal nights (and was super cute).

Just about every other cruise we went on, we had a suit for our son. However, there was one year, when he was growing like a bad weed, as my Dad would say, and he had gone through two blazers for school ... the second blazer, we just pinned (instead of sewed) the school patch on, and he wore it with a tie, khaki pants, belt, and dress shoes, and he looked just fine.

On some cruise lines ... I think you can get away with not wearing a suit, but I wouldn't for Celebrity.

Probably more importantly the "fitting in" ... at the age of 10, my son listened to me a lot more than he does now at 15 ... and yet, he has already announced we need to get him a new suit for our next cruise. (Unlike my husband) my son recognizes the role that clothing plays in life, and he enjoys wearing suits.

Now, that having been said ... here is my tip ... go to a nice consignment shop and get a used suit (and for girls, a used dress). You can get really great buys ... let's face it, no boy is wearing their suit more than 5 or 6 times before growing out of it.

In the spring, while the other girls were wearing $300 dresses to their spring social (in 6th grade), my daughter searched consignment shops for a dress that she simply looked stunning in, and it was $25.

Learning how to be comfortable in a suit (or fancy dress), learning how to spend money wisely, and learning the benefit and limitations of following social protocol are all great life lessons that my children have learned from cruising, and something they wouldn't have learned if I waited until now to teach them (as ... what does this old bag know!)

Since it is last minute, I would certainly not go out of my way to rush out and buy him a suit. That said, if he owns a suit or sport coat, I say bring it along. I can tell you from experience with my own son, that he always enjoyed dressing up - it made him feel special and also made him feel like one of the 'men'. At ten, I would imagine he would like being dressed like the adults rather than like a little kid.

Sorry, but I disagree that dressing up a kid has anything to do with trying to mimic "Little Lord Fauntleroy". There is nothing wrong with teaching your children that certain dress and behaviors are expected at certain times and in certain venues. It's called manners. At the same time, I do agree that he is young enough that if you don't have the dressier clothes and have neither the time or desire to get them, he is still young enough to get away with dressing as a kid - neat and clean but suitless.

My nephews, 12 and 15, both looked handsome in their dark suits.

That said I think that khakis and an oxford and tie would be just fine as well. No one will give him a second glance ; -)

Going to a thrift store and picking up a navy blazer would be a nice touch.

My nineteen year old daughter had one formal and four casual dinner dresses from the local thrift shops and she looked super ; -)

I know the feeling. Every year I bought my son a new shirt, tie, dress shoes and jacket for our cruises. If you want to go to dinner as a family on formal nights- then yes- I would have your child dress in a jacket and tie.

However, we did the Alaska cruise this year and brought our formal attire- then I discovered Qsine and so we ate there instead on the two formal nights and then my son went to the youth program immediately following. So he didn't need formal attire.

They also have the option of eating with the kids every night (except on the day of embarkation) in the buffet. My son (age 11) preferred to dine with the kids than go to the main dining room.

So you can totally get by without bringing formal clothes and on our Bermuda cruise we aren't. I would never go to the MDR on formal nights not dressed appropriately and if I do even a show on formal night I wear evening attire.

Thank you all so much for your great advice. Luckily he already owns a suit and looks dashing in it so we will be bringing it along. I certainly didn't want to have him looking or feeling out of place. Thanks again for all the help here. We are leaving on our first family cruise in 12 hours!!!!! Hurray.:)

Since he already had the suit it's a good idea for you to bring it along. I will tell you, though, in my cruising experience a 7 night cruise from Bayonne to Bermuda is one of the most casual cruises I have experienced.....it does not compare to 10 or 12 night Caribbean cruises or transatlantic cruises when it comes to formal night. He may choose to wear the suit for the first formal night and then opt for slacks and a dress shirt and tie for the 2nd formal night. That said, I'm sure he'll be fine with whatever he chooses to wear. I'm sure you'll all have a great time :D Have fun!

Hello,

Firstly, don't let me name mistake me as being truly old ... my son is currently 15. He has been cruising since he was 1, a total of 9 times.

When he was a few days shy of one, we did not have him dress up in a suit, though he did have pants, a dress shirt, and a tie for formal nights (and was super cute).

Just about every other cruise we went on, we had a suit for our son. However, there was one year, when he was growing like a bad weed, as my Dad would say, and he had gone through two blazers for school ... the second blazer, we just pinned (instead of sewed) the school patch on, and he wore it with a tie, khaki pants, belt, and dress shoes, and he looked just fine.

On some cruise lines ... I think you can get away with not wearing a suit, but I wouldn't for Celebrity.

Probably more importantly the "fitting in" ... at the age of 10, my son listened to me a lot more than he does now at 15 ... and yet, he has already announced we need to get him a new suit for our next cruise. (Unlike my husband) my son recognizes the role that clothing plays in life, and he enjoys wearing suits.

Now, that having been said ... here is my tip ... go to a nice consignment shop and get a used suit (and for girls, a used dress). You can get really great buys ... let's face it, no boy is wearing their suit more than 5 or 6 times before growing out of it.

In the spring, while the other girls were wearing $300 dresses to their spring social (in 6th grade), my daughter searched consignment shops for a dress that she simply looked stunning in, and it was $25.

Learning how to be comfortable in a suit (or fancy dress), learning how to spend money wisely, and learning the benefit and limitations of following social protocol are all great life lessons that my children have learned from cruising, and something they wouldn't have learned if I waited until now to teach them (as ... what does this old bag know!)

YOur son sounds like a nice candidate to rent a tux. We did that with my son on a couple of cruises and we got some great pictures for the whole familiy.

I think your son should as many have said, wear a suit or sports coat , with appropriate tie and shoes formal nights. We took our 10 year old grandson on the ship and we purchased him formal attire at JC Penny's very reasonable prices. Not at all expensive for the outfit, and the shoes also. We got him two dress shirts and ties and he really looked wonderful and felt wonderful! Don't forget a belt also.

The other nights, he wore khakis and polos- with either clean sneakers loafer type dress shoes.

Never too early, as some people stated to learn how to dress.

Last month on the Summit my cousin's 11 year old wore a tux. She actually bought one - I would have rented one.

Jonathan looked so good but all of the gents in our party of 28 wore tuxes.

Since you asked I would have your son wear what the others in your group are wearing.

Hello,

Love it and do so agree with the last paragraph.Some things never change, I went thru the same things and our son will be 62 :eek: in Oct.and still irons his own shirts.;)

Archived