Your Best Things and Biggest Challenges of Solo Cruising?

ChiGal1962

Free Yoga session! Is the octopus dance related to the spanx shimmy?

They are somewhat related, although the Spanx shimmy is a closer cousin to the horizontal blue jean salsa -- wiggle those hips!

A bit of floss through the zipper eye can also work. Hook and eye closures are a bit harder for me.

Now *that* is brilliant! And you can tuck the floss inside the dress to make the undo easier...

Amazing what you learn on these boards! lol

I found the key to not losing a seat while at a restaurant/bar is to sit at the bar and let the bartender know not to take my drink. In terms of the buffet, well, I would not sit unless I was sure when I got up that was going to be it.

I hope that's a drink you're finished with. Big rule--never leave a drink unattended.

Unlike you all who describe yourselves as shy, they could appoint me cruise director! I will talk to just about anyone. I've met a lot of interesting people that way. One stranger was my BIL's best friend and knew all the family secrets!

I don't mind eating alone at a table for 2 but I'd rather sit with others. I did learn not to go the the MDR early only to sit down and be the only one there for 10 minutes. Now if no one is there yet I'll wait a bit. If no one shows I'll ask to be reseated.

I like doing things when I want, not depending on anyone else's schedule. I've been disappointed once when a couple said they'd wait for me to go to a beach together (they were from roll call) and decided not to go and I stood around waiting for 30 minutes. Won't do that again.

I hope that's a drink you're finished with. Big rule--never leave a drink unattended.

Unlike you all who describe yourselves as shy, they could appoint me cruise director! I will talk to just about anyone. I've met a lot of interesting people that way. One stranger was my BIL's best friend and knew all the family secrets!

I don't mind eating alone at a table for 2 but I'd rather sit with others. I did learn not to go the the MDR early only to sit down and be the only one there for 10 minutes. Now if no one is there yet I'll wait a bit. If no one shows I'll ask to be reseated.

I like doing things when I want, not depending on anyone else's schedule. I've been disappointed once when a couple said they'd wait for me to go to a beach together (they were from roll call) and decided not to go and I stood around waiting for 30 minutes. Won't do that again.

Hi, I am quite outgoing too:) very easy for me to meet others:D

As for the couple who decided not to go? If you had plans together?

That is plain rude in my opinion.:rolleyes:.....especially if you had met in person

prior.......they at least could have (one of them) come and let you

know they had changed their plans. Sometimes people make me just

shake my head....has no one heard of manners before?:confused:

Grew up in Elmhurst so X should be a good fit for you also.Assuming same itinery, be sure to do Cartehanga on foot and the X bus to Antigua, Guat. Both very old. Just met a guy from DG at senior citizens center. Enjoy.

This thread is great! I feel a common kinship amongst you all.

My reasons are for going solo are:

* I wanted to go to Canada but all my friends wanted beach/Caribbean.

* I'm single and most of my friends aren't.

* I'm free to travel any time of the year but a lot of my friends are teachers or have kids so are stuck with summer and school vacations only.

* My budget is different from others.

* I live alone, am very independent, and selfishly wanted to do what I want, when I want.

I've traveled alone before and it's always been fine, but I've never cruised alone before. I don't like having to pay the double-occupancy rate for a single person! But besides that, I've liked picking out the excursions I want. And when the sailing date arrives, it'll be nice choosing where I want to eat, when I want to eat. And having the tiny cabin all to myself will be a plus!

For meal times, I'm just going to bring my Kindle along. As for other activities, I'll just play it by ear; if I meet cool people, great; if not, I'm fine chilling by myself the entire week.

I haven't been on a cruise for a few years. Financially challenged, let's just say. One of the reasons that contributed to that was sailing solo on Seabourn and Silversea. Seabourn is probably the greatest line I've ever been on; they invite solos to hosted tables every night with a little engraved invitation left on your door. Oh, the charm of it all. Not being able to afford them any more, I've not cruised at all, since the idea of huge ships really put me off.

I just booked a T/A on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 in December of this year. After a few days in London, it will be fun to take a "slow boat" back to the US of A. But Cunard is a large ship and has fixed seating times; I won't be getting the little invitations on my door. Some of the reasons I liked cruising solo on the smaller ships won't be happening on the Queen Mary 2. The price for this sailing (December 15, out of Southampton) was very good.

Things I like about going solo: solitude, peace and quiet; elbow room. The ability to join in, or not. I can come and go as I please, do what I want, take a nap, whatever, without having to check in with what someone else wants to do.

Drawbacks: Cost, of course. But other than that, I do not like feeling like I'm imposing on others if I start chatting with them. Oh, most people are very friendly but I think you have to be careful, you don't want to come off like "please talk to me". I agree with the poster who said, asking people to take pictures of you! Indeed. I also pack the kitchen sink, so having to juggle all that luggage at airports, etc., can be a chore.

But I'm looking forward to getting back on the high seas. And in December? I think the Atlantic will probably be just that.

Jane :)

Not a solo cruiser (have traveled on business solo many times ... but that's different).

We do meet and make friends with quite a few solo cruisers at bars/lounges on every cruise which makes me interested in this thread.

Almost all seem happy and content to cruising alone at this point in their lives.

The one thing that bothers them most is going to Speciality restaurants which they'll sometimes do BUT always have to eat alone. They can eat alone at restaurants anytime they wish at home but enjoy the company of others for dinner on cruise ships.

Just wondering if any of you Solos have this Speciality restaurant problem and how you solve is? :confused:

LuLu

Not a solo cruiser (have traveled on business solo many times ... but that's different).

We do meet and make friends with quite a few solo cruisers at bars/lounges on every cruise which makes me interested in this thread.

Almost all seem happy and content to cruising alone at this point in their lives.

The one thing that bothers them most is going to Speciality restaurants which they'll sometimes do BUT always have to eat alone. They can eat alone at restaurants anytime they wish at home but enjoy the company of others for dinner on cruise ships.

Just wondering if any of you Solos have this Speciality restaurant problem and how you solve is? :confused:

LuLu

Hello again:)....to me? It is not a problem to be solved. I am sailing

on Summit in November and plan on dining in Normandie, if not once,

probably twice:D. I have 2 friends that were supposed to be going

but he has just been hospitalized and they are having to cancel

2 upcoming cruises:(....I will miss them but I will be just fine on

my own;)

Lois .... I remember the time when you took a "dam cruise"

which was not fun for you. You made the best of it. You did a great job of dealing with things and worked toward enjoying it as much as possible .

LuLu

Hi LuLu, yes, that was my one HAL cruise......it was in 2004:eek:

In response to the specialty restaurant question, I have been fortunate enough (or worked enough at it) to find and make friends with other solos onboard, and they also wanted to hit the specialty restaurants. One time, I and a fellow solo from my roll call (and eventual MDR tablemate) went to the Tuscan Grill on Solstice and had a great meal. On Voyager of the Seas, a fellow solo I met through playing trivia games and I had lunch at Johnny Rockets.

I wouldn't restrict myself to just asking solos, those were the situations that presented themselves. I really believe it's a matter of meeting, feeling people out, finding opportunities, and asking. Obviously, participating in your roll call can be very helpful in this situation.

Technically I'm not a solo cruiser yet; I've just been lurking around here and dreaming of taking a solo cruise, maybe in 2014 (finances and current life circumstances/health issues are holding up the show.) But I have cruised with family/friends, and I've taken solo land vacations, so I mostly know what I'd be getting into.

I used to be so weird about eating alone in restaurants. I guess it was the self-conscious 'everyone's staring at me/they must think I have no friends' thing. But then I got older and got over myself, thankfully, because now I can enjoy a meal alone and not worry about what's going on around me.

When I do finally get a chance to cruise solo (I'm dying to try the studios, probably on Breakaway as an excuse to go to NYC first) I will join roll calls and hope to find someone to try Moderna with, at least, because I'm heavily into food (I hate the term 'foodie' but I suppose it applies!) and I'd like to have people to talk about the food with, but if I couldn't find a dinner date either through the studios or via CC, I wouldn't let it stop me from going alone.

I think it's really a matter of...I don't want to say confidence. More like it's a matter of facing the fact that we all operate under certain social norms, and choosing to get the most out of your vacation anyway. If that makes any sense.

Having said that, my next two cruises will probably be with my parents and then a good friend, so I won't get the pleasure of testing my own theory for a while yet.

LuLu

Yup, I don't like going to restaurants alone, whether at home, on a business trip, or on vacation. I do it because I want to enjoy the good food at those restaurants, but I don't really enjoy the experience of those restaurants (which is kind of a shame). For me it's not about feeling like everyone is staring at me or feeling awkward about being alone, it's just that I really prefer eating with people and don't really like eating alone (I don't really like it at home either, but I don't have a choice).

If I have to eat alone at a specialty restaurant on my upcoming cruise, I'm hoping I won't mind as much since I'm not paying (extra) for it.......part of why I avoid it at home is that it chafes me to pay a lot for a (fancier) restaurant when I'm not really enjoying the ambiance and experience of the restaurant (even though I am enjoying the food.) I definitely will be eating at the specialty restaurants on my next cruise, several times if possible, but I'm not looking forward to eating alone - I never look forward to eating alone.

I'm not sure I'll eat in specialty restaurants on the ship. Assuming the food is quite good in the MDR, I rather enjoy eating there. And I'm not thrilled about the idea of a) paying extra and b) eating alone for another dinner. But I might change my mind, especially as I keep hearing how wonderful some of those specialties are :)

The one I think I'd really like to try most is Qsine, as it seems so different, but I understand that's really best as a "group" kind of place, so you can share dishes and try a whole lot of things. So I'll probably actively try to find a group to go there with.

With regard to eating alone in Specialty (or any restaurant) I've no hang ups regarding this. In fact I didn't realize that many adults felt uncomfortable doing so until I came to this board. It's been very interesting reading other POVs :)

Pro: Doing what I want to do when I want to.

Con: Dh isn't there to help me with my luggage. :D

Too funny;)......I don't have anyone else to help me with my

luggage......it is all PRO to me:D

Pro: Doing what I want to do when I want to.

Con: Dh isn't there to help me with my luggage. :D

The only thing that can be problematic for me when traveling solo is that I have no one to whom I can say "You stay with the luggage while I...(buy a magazine, use the bathroom, find a cart)"

:D

The only thing that can be problematic for me when traveling solo is that I have no one to whom I can say "You stay with the luggage while I...(buy a magazine, use the bathroom, find a cart)"

That can be challenging!

I remember my first job, which was as a meeting planner. On my first convention trip, my boss told me to make sure I could handle my own luggage, because no one else would. I may not be terribly dextrous with it, but it's all mine! :)

Not that I would mind if someone did help, of course. Especially to be the "watcher" in the airport when you want to dash off for a second. But so be it!

Especially to be the "watcher" in the airport when you want to dash off for a second. But so be it!

Indeed, I have juggled many a rolling suitcase + carry-on + purse in a tiny airport bathroom stall. You make do. It's worth it when you get where you're going and don't have anyone insisting that you have to do this thing and that thing that you really don't want to do.

I'm comfortable eating solo in the MDR at a shared table and at the buffet or any casual eatery. On my HAL cruises I avoided doing the specialty restaurent solo. I tend to avoid formal type restaurants in my real life also. I live in a college town/city and eat out often since most places are pretty informal.

I really enjoyed myself doing the anytime type dining on my last HAL cruise--lots of great dinners with a variety of people. So much so I signed up for it on this year's Princess cruise. In recent cruises I've done half my meals in the MDR and half my meals in the buffet.

In recent cruises I've packed light (a carryon) and I don't do formal dining anymore. Usually on the sea days of the formal evenings I'll do a tea in the late afternoon so I'm not in the mood for a big meal in the evening anyway.

I really like cruising on my own. To me its a great mix of social time and alone time. This next cruise will be the first time I'll be cruising with my new Kindle Touch. No more deciding which two or three books to bring.

For the last few years I've been cruising over the Christmas/New Year holidays. Usually I've met other solo cruisers enjoying a cruise during this time.

Everybody, enjoy your next cruise. Faith

• 1 month later...

When I first started considering cruising solo (first one is in February) my son pointed out that even when I cruise with family I tend to wander off and do my own thing, so other than dinners I've been cruising solo for years and didn't realize it

My November cruise will be my 4th cruise solo. I really enjoy having room/bed to myself and the advantage of doing the things I like to do without having to compromise my time.

I do not like is eating alone at dinner time and fortunately have had real luck with this. Every cruise I meet folks that I click with and been invited to join them for dinner. I have also requested to be seated at a table with other guests. I love meeting new people and hearing about their cruising experience.

The only other thing is when I see or find something interesting, I miss not having someone share it with right away. But that is such a small thing in the sceme of things when needing some me time.

Archived