Best dessert on NCL???

GrandmaHofmann

At the Jasmine Garden speciality restaurant, I didn't like the food very much but the desserts were not bad.

They had this 3 types of creme brulee. Quite good. Five spices ice-cream was also not bad.

See 3:43 onwards for the desserts.

[YOUTUBE]zl4tt5jpWVs[/YOUTUBE]

From the Main Dining Room, I don't remember that any dessert was particularly memorable. The Warm Chocolate volcano appeared every evening. It was not bad and when there was no dessert I fancied, I would default to the warm chocolate volcano.

My kids were amused with the 'Chocolate Nutella Pot de Creme', which tasted like a pot of Nutella.

See 1:28 for the Warm Chocolate Volcano.

See 12:59 for the Nutella Pot de Creme.

[YOUTUBE]xOimIZW3xEw[/YOUTUBE]

• :54 v0:50750

Like most people have said, NCL desserts aren't overly fabulous. Carlo's Bakery desserts are expensive, but good for a treat. I did enjoy a canole I once got in a Murder Mystery Lunch. Additionally, whenever they have Pistachio Cake, I always grab a slice. It's something I never find anywhere, and I think it's pretty yummy.

• I think this is the recipe I use, looked for mine but couldn't put my hand on it at the moment. I use a white cake mix and mix in a few finely chopped walnuts, I don't use the food coloring.

Pistachio Pudding Cake

starssmallleft50.png (106)

green_arrow.pngrate it now!

Pistachio_Pudding_Cake.jpg photo by:kraft

so easy to make and taste great....

posted by

shortytalk

on 7/29/2013

time

prep:

20 min

total:

1 hr 15 min

servings

total:

12 servings

.arrow-photo-left.png 1.FE14_US_subs_Promo_102714-281x100.jpg

What You Need

pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix

pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding

eggs

1-1/4

cups water

1/4

cup oil

1/2

tsp. almond extract

drops green food coloring

Tbsp. powdered sugar

Make It

HEAT oven to 350°F.

BEAT all ingredients except sugar with mixer until blended.

POUR into greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan or 10-inch tube pan.

BAKE 50 to 55 min. or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 min. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan. Cool cake completely.

SPRINKLE with sugar just before serving.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Note

If using a cake mix with pudding in the mix, reduce water to 1 cup.

Variation

Prepare batter as directed; pour into 13x9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 350°F oven 40 to 45 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. (Do not remove cake from pan.) Sprinkle cake with sugar just before serving.

High Altitude Directions

Prepare as directed, adding 1/4 cup flour and increasing water to 1-1/2 cups.

• 1 month later...
There isn't a good dessert on Norwegian. Although the bread pudding at the buffet is really tasty.

What a rude post. You should learn some tact. With over 7k posts I would have thought you would have learned to properly answer a question. The OP didn't ask IF there was a good dessert but what the best one was. Obviously they are looking for opinions of what people like. Saying there are no good ones does nothing to help with the question. Why couldn't you actually be positive and just mention the bread pudding (which is sooooo good!!) and not be someone whose pallet is so refined that there is no food in this world that will appease it. I'm not impressed.

BTW to the OP - My DW and I really enjoy the coconut flan in Moderno. I also really like the tiramisu and my dw the ricotta cheesecake both available in the Italian specialty.

I have always loved the Souffles in the MDR. Years ago they were served several nights during the cruise but then they seemed to disappear from the menus. In December I was surprised to find them one night in the MDR on the Dawn. It was the same night we were booked in Cagneys so we had appetizer and entree in Cagneys then went to MDR for dessert. :D

Thank goodness that all of the desserts aren't fabulous. ..I would really roll off the ship. Some people. are expecting the Ritz even though we aren't paying those prices.

Some of my favorites: oatmeal raisin cookies-hands down the best ever

My friend had chocolate decadence in the main dining room and gave me a taste-mmm

creme Brule

chocolate croissant

on the Gem the ice cream in the buffet, especially coconut

berries in Cagneys

I had something lemony in the Italian Restaurant that was wonderful

hope we have helped. There are truly some very good desserts!

. ...

BTW to the OP - My DW and I really enjoy the coconut flan in Moderno. I also really like the tiramisu and my dw the ricotta cheesecake both available in the Italian specialty.

The OP asked their question more than two years ago. I doubt they'll see your answer.

I have a few dessert favourites:

1. warm espresso chocolate brownie at Cagney's

2. chocolate volcano

3. Lemon sorbet (sooooooo good)

4. chocolate croissants on the buffet

5. grilled pineapple at Moderno

I do find some of the desserts on the buffet to be bland, however, I am very glad of that. Like someone else said, thank goodness they weren't all wonderful or it wouldn't be a good thing.

Chocolate mousse at lunchtime in MDR and Cobbler in the buffet especially when they had pecan butter ice cream to go with it.They had a few different types of Cobbler but the plum one was the best.

When we were on the Breakaway, they had an orange chocolate mousse....orange jello topped with box mix mousse. LOL! We had a good laugh.

I did not think highly of the dessert on NCL until our last cruise on the Breakaway with the new menu

The chocolate volcano cake with the gelato & strawberry compote and the coconut soufflé were wonderful.

The Sacher torte was as good as the piece I had in Vienna. Whish they had that on the menu every night.

I have a few dessert favourites:

1. warm espresso chocolate brownie at Cagney's

2. chocolate volcano

3. Lemon sorbet (sooooooo good)

4. chocolate croissants on the buffet

5. grilled pineapple at Moderno

I do find some of the desserts on the buffet to be bland, however, I am very glad of that. Like someone else said, thank goodness they weren't all wonderful or it wouldn't be a good thing.

I can see why some people would think that, but I disagree vehemently. :p When I vacation, there's no such thing as too many delicious desserts. :D Too few is a problem. When I choose restaurants at home or on vacation, I start with the dessert menu. If it doesn't interest me, I don't even bother looking at the rest of the menu. I'd much rather have a bland/barely edible appetizer or entree than a subpar/boring dessert. Threads like this are particularly interesting to me. It helps me determine where we should dine. I want to go where I can get the most delicious/decadent desserts. If I can get a dessert at our local grocery store that's as good or better, that's not the place for me.