Best dessert on NCL???

GrandmaHofmann

I also agree that the chocolate buffet was a bust. Nothing special at all. I wish all these lines would get away from those thin layers of cake with fluffy stuff separating them. I remember when Celebrity used to have magnificent cakes, fancy cupcakes-- now, nada.

I am fond of the peanut butter cookies, but apparently, so is everyone else, as they go fast. My least favorite people are the ones who stand in front of a food and take huge portions of it. I have seen people take a dozen cookies at once!

Was he blue, furry, singing "C is for Cookie"? :p Take pictures and we'll put up wanted posters!

I agree that NCL is weak on desserts, but the best desserts on the Star this past week was the papaya cream served in Moderno's, the chocolate fondue served in Le Bistro, the creme brûlée at the Jazz Brunch, and the bread and butter pudding from the buffet. Probably the desserts at the Chef's Table were equally outstanding, but who would know after 9 courses and all that wine paired with each course?

I'm not much on sweets, but my NCL fave is a chocolate croissant at breakfast. Crepes sound good if they're not overfilled and gooey. Might have to try 'em next trip. And boy, does that roasted pineapple at Moderno look tasty.

Edited by buckirj1

I'm not much on sweets, but my NCL fave is a chocolate croissant at breakfast. Crepes sound good if they're not overfilled and gooey. Might have to try 'em next trip. And boy, does that roasted pineapple at Moderno look tasty.

Yes! You are right on all accounts! The chocolate croissants were perfectly flaky on the outside and moist on the inside with just the right amount of dark chocolate filling. The roasted pineapple at Moderno's should have been the perfect end to a lovely meal, but we were roped into more meat and a dessert. Surprisingly, the papaya cream was the best dessert I had on the ship! The crepes were a nice snack after a day of swimming.

Typically, a cruise line's signature dessert is one offered in the MDR, not a specialty restaurant. Granted, we've only done 2 NCL cruises, but I don't think there was anything memorable in the MDR. We ate at Cagney's once each cruise & I know I had creme brulee. It was good - as it is no matter where I get it - but I was not special or unique. I was sad that NCL had stopped serving the fruit soups in the MDR, but I just went to the buffet & got a bowl if one appealed to me there. The crepes in the buffet area are nice when nothing on the MDR menu even sounds worth trying.

• 2 years later...
We loved the Creme Brulee so much that when we got home we bought our own kit to make it ourselves. :D

I was looking for a previous post of mine and came across this one. What's really sad is that we still haven't used it. :eek:

I have simple tastes, and try not to miss the times when they have hand-dipped ice cream up at the buffet. I think the chocolate croissants at breakfast are the best sweet aboard, and I'd love to try the roasted pineapple at Moderno.

Like most people have said, NCL desserts aren't overly fabulous. Carlo's Bakery desserts are expensive, but good for a treat. I did enjoy a canole I once got in a Murder Mystery Lunch. Additionally, whenever they have Pistachio Cake, I always grab a slice. It's something I never find anywhere, and I think it's pretty yummy.

I don't think the original poster asked those that do not like any of the deserts to post their negative opinion. IF you happen to want to share your favorite then do so otherwise I personally would rather you keep your gloomy negative opinion to yourself.

With that said our new favorite as of our last cruise is the Coconut Flan in Moderno! It is so good. We also both really enjoy the bread pudding. Our old favorites before the coconut flan was the Tiramisu and Ricotta Cheesecake both in the La Cucina.

NCL used to have amazing souffles. One of my GFs & I would often ditch our husbands & go have another one after dinner as the MDRs were closing.

Alas they stopped them.

You might be in luck, Trish. Not sure when the new menus go fleetwide but according to the Getaway menus SliceofLife posted, there is a coconut souffle one night and a passion fruit one another.

So NCL might have heard you!