The Green Flash of a sunset

NoobCruise

Very interesting. I will have to make it a mission to experience this on my 18 day cruise. :)

Good luck.

Some sailors spend their lives at sea and never see it.

Then someone sails for their first cruise and they get lucky.

Hope you succeed. :)

I've seen "the flash" 5 times over 10 years when staying on the west coast of Barbados. The negative part of my treat was that I was viewing the very end of the sunset through binoculars! Why not burn my retina! :eek: Young and stupid. Since I gained my senses, I haven't had any more green sunsets but my eyes are not damaged. :)

Noobcruise, thanks for the instructions but have another problem now. I am trying to post the picture, but my computer keeps telling me the file is "not accessible" and won't let me. Does anyone know how to make my computer do what I want it to?

Noobcruise, thanks for the instructions but have another problem now. I am trying to post the picture, but my computer keeps telling me the file is "not accessible" and won't let me. Does anyone know how to make my computer do what I want it to?

Good luck with that!! :confused:

Dianne

There could be several reasons.

If you have the photo open in another program, it won't let you upload it. Close any other programs you have it open in.

It also has to be in the right format like .jpg or .bmp

and it has to be the right size. Many of the fancy dslr cameras now take photos in poster size, which are too big to upload to CC, so you may have to resize it.

EDIT guess I should have finished reading all the posts lol I'm sure your nephew can get it uploaded :) looking forward to seeing it!

Wow, great shot!

I can't seem to post any pics here because I don't know how to resize them. They're all too big.

Used to have a program that did it, though it took so much time I hardly used it, but it's not accessible anymore.

Don't you just hate it when your computer does what you tell it to do and not what you want it to do!;)

On Queen Victoria (and Queen Elizabeth) the main dining room is at the rear of the ship and there are tables for 6 along the rear windows (you or your TA can email a request to have one of these tables, btw). We had several nights of dinnertime sunsets while cruising down the Pacific coast on QV. We always tried to look for the green flash and one night we were lucky...

seems to me that I remember reading about sightings of the moonbow at Cumberland Falls State Park in Ky or Tenn. Think they may even have some sort of schedule.

Only Green Flash we've seen is the restaurant on Captiva. (good Veal Zurich)

Witnessed the beauty of the green flash once while on Dickenson Bay beach in Antigua. Funny thing was that I wasn't looking for it that day and I saw it and since that time I have looked for it on many other occasions and have yet to see it again.

It is known also as Le Rayon Vert; the legend concerning it was the subject of a french film by the same name; quite an interesting film, one

of my very favorites. I have never seen the ray myself though I often remember to look for it. There is a bed and breakfast in Montreal named after this film also.

We were in the South Pacific on a 30 night cruise and almost every night, we watched for the "green flash" and never saw it. Others saw it, but we never did. This past February, we were in Curacao on a sunset cruise. I got into a conversation with the owner of the boat. We were on a fishing boat. He told me he has seen the "green flash" several times, and it does exist. He invited me up to the top part of the boat, and we watched the sunset . . . . and I actually got to see it! It is just a split second flash. Like others said, it you blink, you miss it. Now I can say I am part of the "green flash" crowd! :D :D

I've seen it several times, when the sun is setting in the northwest, out of my window, or walking on the beach, in Seascale, Cumbria. It doesn't seem to happen if there's mist on the horizon, but I expect to see it if it's clear.

Jo.

seems to me that I remember reading about sightings of the moonbow at Cumberland Falls State Park in Ky or Tenn. Think they may even have some sort of schedule.

Only Green Flash we've seen is the restaurant on Captiva. (good Veal Zurich)

Yes, Moonbow happens at Cumberland Falls State Park in Kentucky. Here is the schedule.

http://www.2geton.net/martin/moonbow/moonbowschedule.html

Have seen the Green Flash several times, mostly in Hawaii.

Archived