Questions about ms Amsterdam

Biffer1997

My parents are considering taking a 17 day Panama Canal cruise on ms Amsterdam from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale leaving Dec. 5. Does anyone have any advice, comments about the ship specifically deck location, category HH cabins, and food quality. They have cruised several times but not on HAL. Thanks for any input!

The Amsterdam is one of Holland America's special ships. (The Prinsendam is the other one.)

We were on her for about a month and found that the officers and crew are what make her so special. The Hazlenut Cappucino Mousse Cake and the Peanut Butter Pie helped.

We took this cruise last year, and are doing it again this year. I cannot comment on category HH as have no experience there. The Amsterdam is a wonderful ship - we have sailed her several times. Comments on food is always subjective but we have found the MDR, Lido, and Pinnacle Grill food very good to excellent. Actually, have never had a bad meal on the Amsterdam.

I think any cabin midships will be fine. Actually, one seldom gets rough seas on this itinerary - possible exception first day or so out of San Diego and first day out of Aruba can be a little rocky but not always.

This is a nice nice to cruise because part way through, the Christmas decorations will begin to be set up which is always fun to watch the ship get decorated. This year, two days have been added with a stop in Curacao and Half Moon Cay - great additions.

Some of the HH cabins are under the galley... so if someone is a very light sleeper there might be a problem. I did a 50 day cruise in HH, loved it but I can sleep through just about anything. There was only one time I got wakened in the night or early morning.... I think someone upset a cart just above my head. Check what is above. Nice thing was that even with obstructed view all I had to do was go down the hall a short way and out on lower prominade deck. I was doing Antarctica and got lots of pictures since I was just a short hop from either starboard or port... whichever had the view. Then could step inside and warm up.

Susan

We just did this cruise late April, early May this year. We loved it! We did a 20 day cruise, went up to Canada for 2 ports, then got off the ship in Seattle. We had an E or EE cabin midship, starboard side and really enjoyed it. When people say to be on the bow early the morning you start your transit...they mean it! It does get crowded but we didn't find it too bad, find a spot along the side. Be sure to go to the back of the ship as you exit a lock, alot of people don't but it is a whole different experience from the back of the ship. I found it very interesting. It was very very hot and humid when we went so be sure and drink water and wear sunscreen. We loved the Amsterdam, a great ship and the crew was wonderful, we really enjoyed the Crow's Nest, the staff is great. We found the food to be good, some meals better than others. This cruise had been on my husband's buckerlist and we were so glad we did it. We enjoyed Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Guatemala. The 3 ports in Mexico were very nice, we felt very safe there. Hope this helps some. Marian

We had the first HH just past the AFT elevator for a 2 week Alaska cruise. It was a great location...we could see out the window and it was steps from the Lower Promenade door. It was under the entrance to the Main Dinning Room and fairly quiet. I would avoid the HHs under the main galley.

Karen

For an HH cabin I would suggest 3419, 3420, 3422, or 3423. If those are all taken try for 3400 or 3402. Avoid 3424 or 3427 as they have a stairway right outside the window making them very obstructed. From the others you will be able to see water by looking either hard left or right.

Amsterdam is a wonderful ship. I was onher last year and again this year. The crew are outstanding. I am a very picky eater and the food was so good. I had a inside cabin last year Main deck and this year I had a inside but was upgraded to prom deck with large window. I loved both rooms. The inside room was much bigger the outside was smaller but had a tub. I used every day to soak as I did a lot of walking. Both trips were to Alaska. Only bad thing was the weather could have been better.

Mary

We liked the HH cabins on the Amsterdam. We were trying to save money and it was a good compromise for us. We originally booked 3419, but when there was a price drop, it was for new bookings only. So we had to choose a new cabin and we chose 3384. I was planning on having my TA switch us back to 3419, but my DH decided he liked the idea of being more mid-ship.

Going into it, we knew we were below the galley in 3384 and we were prepared for some noise. For us, it was not a big deal but we are easy-going people. The noise never woke us up at night. I am sure others would be bothered by it.

When we looked out the window we were looking out at the promenade deck. Across the deck were openings in the structure of the ship and we could see outside by looking to the left or to the right. When we were on the ship I checked out 3419 and it had a much better view of outside. If we were to book this category again, I would try to get 3419 or 3420. They are below the dining room, so would be much quieter. What my DH liked about 3384 was that on several occasions when we were out and about on the ship, he got seasick. He liked that he did not feel any of that rocking motion in our cabin. Each time he was able to recover after taking a rest in the cabin.

One thing to be aware of on the promenade deck is there is a small section (forward of 3384) where there is some very annoying vibration. I would NOT want one of those cabins. (Even easy-going people like us would find these cabins totally unacceptable) I wish I could find the post of someone who actually listed all the cabin numbers affected, but I seem to have lost track of it. However, I did find a post that mentions one of the cabins. I would avoid any in this area:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34073539#post34073539

Update: Looking at the deck plans, I am thinking the affected cabins are actually category C cabins and possibly the DDs that are between the HHs and the Cs. Knowing what I know I would also avoid HH 3379 and 3380 unless you can find the post that lists the exact cabins with the vibration problems. With some luck, the person who did post the exact cabins, will see this thread and offer their expertise.

In 2010 I spent 68 days in 3310 (which is a DD in the forward section of the Lower Promenade), but just aft of that were 4 HH (3312-16). The location was wonderful. I didn't experience any rougher a passage that far forward than I have elsewhere on the ship. There are doors to the deck right there, which was great for popping outside for a few minutes any time I wanted to (and taking room service coffee out with me in the morning). They are under the entrance to the Queen's Lounge but I did not find that a problem since there is nothing going on up there at "normal" bedtimes. Even during a show, the sound was distant - like a TV in another part of my home.

The other good thing is that they are very convenient to the front desk and elevators/stairs to all the activity areas on the Promenade deck, including shore excursion departures from the Queen's Lounge. The only necessary thing that was a distance away was food.

Also, that forward section of the ship is not a pathway to anywhere else, so it was very private and quiet as far as other passengers passing by. I would book that area again in a minute.

In one of the early posts on this thread, I mentioned that on the Amsterdam we had had two wonderful desserts. I got one of them right; the one I had, Hazlenut Cappuccino Mousse Cake, but the one my spouse had, I got wrong, it was Chocolate Peanut Butter pie. (I forgot the chocolate part.) Sorry.

I am on the Amsterdam right now - we are docked in Juneau. we are enjoying the ship very much. The crew is very friendly and they work very hard. The food is good and very well presented. Food on all cruise lines has changed since we started cruising 12 years ago but I am still impressed with the Amsterdam. Desserts, not so much. Haven't found anything special so far but that is OK - means I have to do less circuits on the deck.

We are in a sideways inside cabin 1841 on the Dolphin deck. It is quite spacious and very quiet - midship. It is close to an elevator and has been close to the gangway so far as well.

Last night as we left Tracey ARm the weather cleared and it is sunny today but that is all information for a review which I will post once we get back.

I think your parents will enjoy the ship very much.

• 5 months later...
For an HH cabin I would suggest 3419, 3420, 3422, or 3423. If those are all taken try for 3400 or 3402. Avoid 3424 or 3427 as they have a stairway right outside the window making them very obstructed. From the others you will be able to see water by looking either hard left or right.

Do you know if Volendam HH3417 and HH3422 would have the same view as the Amsterdam HH3419 and 3420? Thanks.

Volendam Deck Plan:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do;jsessionid=664569DC41B3D2AE1826B0D8123CDDC0.pwbap046a?shipId=85&deckId=Deck 3

Amsterdam Deck Plan:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do?shipId=84&deckId=Deck 3

Archived