Help your cabin steward

joe6666

I love 'em.

Three cruises but only got them on EOS.

It's just my hubby and me cruising, no kids, but I don't care!! Coming back

to our room each evening and seeing them had me squealing.

We did MTD so tips were pre-paid. My DH is also a neat freak so their wasn't much cleaing to do in our room. We also never requested anything.

So our daily towel animals got her our WOW card, and a large extra tip.

I would never, ever tell our cabin steward not to make them.. OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOO. :p

Slightly off-track, but since we're talking about helping our cabin stewards.....

On a recent cruise, our cabin steward mentioned that we were his only passengers who used the Do Not Disturb/Make Up Room card on our door. It helps him know when he can clean, and it saves us the embarrassment of having him walk in on us.

Secondly, I realized at the end of the cruise that I should have asked him to just lock our stocked refrigerator/bar, as we were not going to use anything. I'm sure he had to count all the cans and bottles every day.

My family (DH, and 2 DS) and I went on an 8 night cruise with Royal in July and only got two towel animals during the entire trip. I just figured it wasn't Royal's thing. We always had them on Princess and Carnival. Although we like them, it certainly didn't ruin our trip.

Slightly off-track, but since we're talking about helping our cabin stewards.....

On a recent cruise, our cabin steward mentioned that we were his only passengers who used the Do Not Disturb/Make Up Room card on our door. It helps him know when he can clean, and it saves us the embarrassment of having him walk in on us.

Secondly, I realized at the end of the cruise that I should have asked him to just lock our stocked refrigerator/bar, as we were not going to use anything. I'm sure he had to count all the cans and bottles every day.

Good suggestions. We always use the Make Up the Room card so the steward doesn't have to guess when we're at breakfast and dinner. I think it's especially helpful if you have My Time Dining. I never thought about the refrigerator. We'll do that next time.

Actually, on Royal Caribbean there is a person who comes to each room daily and checks the little refrigerator. It isn't the room steward who does that. The reason I know is that I have been in the room when the mini-bar checker comes in and checks.

Once I had eaten a partial box of little Snickers. Then I noticed the box was far beyond the expiration date printed on the box. I mentioned this to the mini-bar checker and he actually removed the charge for the Snickers and also fecthed me a new up-to-date box.

We usually ask them to remove everyting so we have room for our own water/soda.

So do you tip the mini bar guy who comes into your cabin, when you are not there, to check to see if you need anything?

First of all ...... NOT tipping (or tipping less) for lack of towel animals is ABSURD. On the other hand, tipping extra for getting them is pretty silly also. Your cabin stewards job is to provide you with a clean / comfortable cabin.

Now ....... if you truly want to make their lives easier, I have another suggestion. Stop trying to be the first one on the ship and the last one off! These transition days are by far their craziest days. If you think ..... "Oh, I'm just going to sneak in and drop off my bags, this won't bother them." You're wrong.

Never tipped the mini-fridge guy, but we are always amazed at people that become such slobs when on a cruise. As you go down the hall, you see doors open and mounds of clothing on the floor, mounds of stuff all over the place. The cabins are small but the storage space is ample and easy to keep things neat and tidy. Besides, who throws clean or dirty clothes on the floor in a mound at their home?? We always use the room card to let the steward know we are out so they can do their job at their convenience and we pick up after ourselves. We always do the tipping and leave extra, but it doesn't mean we expect the stewards to have to do the kind of work these super messy cabins require. Even our teens have been brought up better. We do "surprise" checks on their rooms and we give the steward a few bucks to give us updates on the cabin to make sure they aren't taking advantage of the steward.

We had a bat which was hung from the ceiling on our EOS cruise in June. It was cute and didn't contain any of our personal items. I'm with others in that I wouldn't like my stuff used. I also wouldn't care if I never got one again. It certainly isn't something I expect or that makes/breaks my vacation.

Since we only get towel animals a few days now I would like to keep getting them. On one cruise DD and I went to the towel animal making class and left ours for the cabin steward. We got a whole lot more that cruise. I think they like to see them being appreciated, don't we all want to just be appreciated. If you just tear them apart no need for them to be made and let your steward know that.

Here is one of our favorites, actually pretty simple but got our attention. He was enjoying tv when we got back :D

IMG_3739.jpg

I collect them... and would not miss them...

I keep my room tidy and try to help my steward using the "do not disturb/make my room" sign, sure I am always polite and tipp generous....

Our steward told us, the houseekeeping manager controlls some rooms at the end of a cruise and the stewards are forced, not to "collect" towel animals. So The day before I fold the towels.

Our steward was really sad - seems he laughed too about my collection - because my travel tiger interacts every day with the towel animals....

c6jws1viymaf5fuy1.jpg

Wendy

but now I want to ask that towel animals not be made for us as I see it as a waste of resources to wash all those extra towels.

My wife and I usually wind up showering twice a day during a cruise (morning and evening) meaning we want 4 towels a day, just for the two of us. Its not a waste at all since we normally need to take it apart to get the towel. If we didnt they probably would just reuse it

I too looooove the towel animals and would be sad if they stopped making them.

The funniest we had was a frog sitting on the toilet reading the cruise compass with a note in it's mouth saying : I was here first.

I don't mind the steward using my stuff for the animals as they use what is available WITHOUT going through your stuff.

Come on people do you really think they have time to waste doing that. In my case they have always used what was lying about (caps, sunglasses, the next day cruise compass etc..) And NO I do not leave a lot of stuff lying about, we keep our cabin tidy but there is always something that they can use.

We love the towel animals, really makes it exciting to see when we get back to the cabin, and we dont have kids. We would even intentionally leave our sun glasses, hats, whatever on the bed when we went to dinner in hopes that they would do something fun with it for the towel animal.

Its part of the fun of cruising and would never give it up!

I wonder if it is more of a pain for them to remember which cabin does not want the towel animals? Extra little tip with the animal is a cute idea.

I imagine they keep notes on every cabin. Like if someone leaves an extra tip they probably want to remember that.

Plus I am having Seinfeld "tuck/no tuck" references flying through my head

Archived