Sitting at the Captain's Table

picklebongo

Picklebongo: What Firefly might be describing to is a particular table on the Fantasy-class vessels. It's table #300 in the aft dining room, and is often referred to as The Captain's Table (as it is the largest in the dining room, and was, at one time regularly used for that purpose). It was explained to me by multiple staff that when these particular ships went from week-long itineraries to shorter ones, the Captain/officers rarely used it for their evening dining with select passengers.

I've been assigned to this table on three separate occasions (once with my pals Tom-n-Cheryl) and never once was a ship officer present. I've also been assigned to a neighboring table, and also have never seen an officers at #300 during those times as well.

840295094_MQB8o-L.jpg

840295122_Dtbft-L.jpg

Oh, that looks like fun. What # is room service?

The "captains table" is a table in the room that he never sits at.. there is actually a extra large table that I have sat at named the captains table. I think it sits 14.
I understand why people would want to eat with the Captain. It would be an experience.

What I don't understand is why you would want to eat at the "captains table" without the Captain.

Oh, that looks like fun. What # is room service?

Agree with you softsands, that looks like a horrible uncomfortable crowded mess. Actually looks like our family reunion meals at a Chinese restaurant.

(Congee Wong in Toronto at Leslie and Finch -Yumm).

If you don't want humor pinglebongo, why is your sceenname picklebongo?

155536945ZQifNz_th.jpg

I have had the pleasure of meeting and dining with several Captains. I have always sat beside them, so the conversations have always been funny, with great stories. I tell them things that make them laugh and have fun. Many people act nervous at the table, but they are just men who do not want to be bored. Some people are afraid to talk to them. I have always had a wonderful time.

155536945ZQifNz_th.jpg

I have had the pleasure of meeting and dining with several Captains. I have always sat beside them, so the conversations have always been funny, with great stories. I tell them things that make them laugh and have fun. Many people act nervous at the table, but they are just men who do not want to be bored. Some people are afraid to talk to them. I have always had a wonderful time.

Do you mind sharing some of the tidbits of humor that you share to make them laugh?

I understand why people would want to eat with the Captain. It would be an experience.

What I don't understand is why you would want to eat at the "captains table" without the Captain.

As some of the pictures of this particular table indicate .. its just a large round table that you get assigned to. It wasnt like they asked me which table.

The time they put me there was actually the hurricane cruise, Ecstasy to nowhere, booked the day of the cruise. My S&S card where the table number should be said .. go see maitre d' or something like that.. so I did and he said oh I have a wonderfull table for you, #300, its called the captains table, and I said thanks.. and thats where I wound up.

Do you mind sharing some of the tidbits of humor that you share to make them laugh?

I tell them all about this funny thing that happened to my guy, who is a big guy who was scared in a stunt he participated in with a magician. There was also a cute story with one of the Captains we dined with on 2 separate cruises. Something funny happened to him on the first cruise, and I reminded him about it. I like to ask them about themselves. We keep it light, not stuffy talk. Then the tight people at the table will relax and have fun also.

Are you going to crib some anecdotes ?

BBaaahhhhahahahaha

Why does everybody trying to be a comedian lately?

Let me if fix for you

Why is everybody trying to be a comedian lately?

So the question that begs to be answered is, why click on the thread if you have read the same thing 30 times? The title clearly states what the thread is about.

I believe they meant that you got plenty of answers and someone was trying to lighten things up

Seems like snob value to me. Appears to me that people think that they are more important than others just because they have dined with hired help.

Why do you refer to people as the "hired help?" Talk about snobbish.

And while I haven't ever dined with the Captain, I have dined with the "hired help." It was great catching up with someone I hadn't seen in quite a few years. Why on earth would that make me more imortant thatn anyone else? Referring to them as "hired help" and not wanting to have any personal interaction with someone certainly seems that way, though.

Why do you refer to people as the "hired help?" Talk about snobbish.

And while I haven't ever dined with the Captain, I have dined with the "hired help." It was great catching up with someone I hadn't seen in quite a few years. Why on earth would that make me more imortant thatn anyone else? Referring to them as "hired help" and not wanting to have any personal interaction with someone certainly seems that way, though.

I think that was meant to be a joke, aimed at the folks who think they are oh so special and better than anyone else.:rolleyes:

I think that was meant to be a joke, aimed at the folks who think they are oh so special and better than anyone else.:rolleyes:

Ah, I hope so. My apologies if I misinterpreted. One of the hazards if print - you don't always get the tone. :)

misstep gun-it was the same menu as the rest of the dining room. We did have a lot of wine though!

Since ours was in the Captain's private dining room....we had a different menu. A choice of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 3 desserts. There was also a full salad and cheese bar that was self serve. And of course, there was wine.

Our head waiter was one of the Maitre d's ...

• 5 months later...

It all depends on the captain with Carnival. Have dined many times (9 times) in the captain's private dining room and have dined 2x in the Main Dining room with the Captain. Some like to interact with the passengers while others not so much...just personality differences.

The food in the private dining room was different (always Italian cusine) from the Main Dining Room. Whereas the meal with the Captain in the Main Dining room was the same as everyone else. Wine and conversation flowed freely in both.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to dine with the Captain is to introduce yourself to the Cruise Director upon boarding and express the desire to dine with the Captain. They like people who are personable and approachable. Doesn't always work but... sometimes it does. :)

I have always considered it a honor to dine with the Captain and have many wonderful memories of those occasions.

Archived