Sitting at the Captain's Table

picklebongo

The lovely Mrs. Jones and I have dined with the Captain aboard Celebrity "Century" twice. Yes, he was there, and yes, it was very entertaining, and informative. We had a GREAT time.

I'm kind of looking forward to my next cruise, which will be in just two weeks, aboard "Paradise". We are "Diamond", and are anxious to see if we get invited to dine with the Captain, and if he'll actually be there? ;) Should be interesting. I'll let y'all know.

"SKY"

Good luck would be nice if diamonds had dinner with capt.

The lovely Mrs. Jones and I have dined with the Captain aboard Celebrity "Century" twice. Yes, he was there, and yes, it was very entertaining, and informative. We had a GREAT time.

I'm kind of looking forward to my next cruise, which will be in just two weeks, aboard "Paradise". We are "Diamond", and are anxious to see if we get invited to dine with the Captain, and if he'll actually be there? ;) Should be interesting. I'll let y'all know.

"SKY"

Have done many captain's tables on Celebrity (most of our cruises) and, my fellow aviator, being a pilot doesn't hurt! Of course, on Celebrity, I had a Greek wife at the time also, and that doesn't hurt either!

On Celebrity we never hesitated to ask for an invite, and always got one, except for one time we had to settle for the hotel manager's table, who we also knew from previous cruises.

On Regal Empress, we were always at the captain's table from our second cruise onward, as we made friends with the captain, the inimitable Rolf Bassenberg.

Never got an invite on the Cunard Queens, but I did get an invite to the officers wardroom one time on QE2 for cocktails, and invited QE2's staff captain to join us for dinner, and he did!

BTW, I always liked the 337 Skymaster, but will stick with the 210 Centurion for now. ;)

Because it breaks up the monotony of reading the same thing 30 times in a row???

So the question that begs to be answered is, why click on the thread if you have read the same thing 30 times? The title clearly states what the thread is about.

My son who is in the military was invited to dine with the Captain 2 years ago on the Carnival Legend. There were 3 military members (Navy, Air Force and Army) who were sailing that week and they were invited along with one guest to dine with the Captain. The Hotel Director, Head Engineer and the Food and Beverage Director were also seated at this table. We had a wonderful time and they seated each of us between an officer so this more or less "forced" conversation with the staff. They took a photo of our table and everyone received a copy the next day in their cabin with a personally signed message from the Captain. It was quite lovely and I really appreciated the opportunity of the invitation.

A funny story, we always eat at early seating and this was an invite to late seating. We went ahead and joined our family and friends during early seating just to have an "appetizer". My son decided since he was hungry he would go ahead and order the prime rib and eat very lightly once we joined the Captain for the second seating invitation. Well, he was seated next to the Food and Beverage Director who kept ordering dishes for my son to try. He was trying to be polite to the F&B Director and felt he couldn't refuse the gestures. Boy was he miserable the rest of the evening after eating all that food!

So the question that begs to be answered is, why click on the thread if you have read the same thing 30 times? The title clearly states what the thread is about.

GEEZZ...lighten up! At least he didn't come on the thread to complain about reading threads about dining with the Captain. At least SOME people on this board still have a sense of humor.

GEEZZ...lighten up! At least he didn't come on the thread to complain about reading threads about dining with the Captain. At least SOME people on this board still have a sense of humor.

I dont know why you and the other poster felt compelled to be rude to the OP. Thats what CC is for .. I think its so darn rude for someone to tell someone else to lighten up after they were attacked and feel compelled to defend themselves for even asking a question.

I dont blame the OP, I blame the two folks, you and the other poster who had to throw flames and make rude comments about the question. Let her ask what she wants.

My wife and I were invited to dine with the Captain, at the Italian restaurant on Carnival Magic. Sometimes I found it a bit tedious with the Captain and Chief Engineer texting each other.

All the other guests were VIP's so we were honoured, but prefer to blend in, usually.

on RCCL we have but not on Carnival........ yet;)

Same here, we dined with Captain Leif Otto Bang on the Navigator of the Seas. Not yet on Carnival but as Diamond cruisers under the new program there is a good chance it will happen on Carnival. We take our first Diamond cruise on 9/2 with 4 more scheduled this year

What am i missing here ? Whats the big deal about eating with the captain ??

Its like everything else .. bound to be some people who would like to eat with the captain .. and some who would say "pass". Every time the new guy's burgers comes up some start lecturing how bad they are for you.. others like me want to try one.

Nice to have some options you dont get in everyday life?

We had dinner with the Captain in May on the Elation but it was in his

private dining room ....

The reason we were asked was because it was our 20 year old son's 50th cruise with Carnival and the Captain offered to make it something special for him.

Sadly, he did not go because he does not eat with strangers at the table, so the Captain asked two dear friends (who sailed with us on this cruise) to come instead.

We had drinks for 30 minutes in the AFT bar (the old smoking bar) and then dinner was about 2 hours.

We are good friends with the CD and the Hotel Director and had a BLAST!!

I remember the last time I ate with the Captain. Merrill Stubing was the Captain of the Pacific Princess at the time and he dined with us at the Captain's Table. He was very distracted though cause he had his eye on a passenger that looked amazingly like Susan St. James, but she was a librarian from Dubuque. What a similarity though.

Julie McCoy was the cruise director and she was her perky self, setting up some shuffleboard matches for the next day. The bartender, Isaac, made us some great Pina Coladas and the head pursuer, Gopher was up to his old hi jinks. The Ship's doctor was frisky and made a pass at my wife which I did not appreciate.

There were some other passengers there as well, one who looked remarkably like Betty White and another who was a dead ringer for Buddy Hackett and he was a real cut up. We had a great time....

---

hahahaha!!

My son who is in the military was invited to dine with the Captain 2 years ago on the Carnival Legend. There were 3 military members (Navy, Air Force and Army) who were sailing that week and they were invited along with one guest to dine with the Captain. The Hotel Director, Head Engineer and the Food and Beverage Director were also seated at this table. We had a wonderful time and they seated each of us between an officer so this more or less "forced" conversation with the staff. They took a photo of our table and everyone received a copy the next day in their cabin with a personally signed message from the Captain. It was quite lovely and I really appreciated the opportunity of the invitation.

A funny story, we always eat at early seating and this was an invite to late seating. We went ahead and joined our family and friends during early seating just to have an "appetizer". My son decided since he was hungry he would go ahead and order the prime rib and eat very lightly once we joined the Captain for the second seating invitation. Well, he was seated next to the Food and Beverage Director who kept ordering dishes for my son to try. He was trying to be polite to the F&B Director and felt he couldn't refuse the gestures. Boy was he miserable the rest of the evening after eating all that food!

If the Food and Beverage director kept bringing dishes for your son to try, is it safe to assume it was a different menu? What did they serve?

I always wondered if the captain had to eat the same regular menu week after week. That could get tiresome.

I was able to find the group photo from the April 29, 2001 sailing of the Paradise and the note that was left in my cabin the next day.

0200ac39.jpg

We just sailed with Captain Giacalone on the Pride in July. No Captain's table invite for us :p, but one of the more personable Captains I've seen. Seemed like he had a great sense of humor.

Archived