Hal vs Carnival

brainyblonde

We have found that the 7 day plus HAL cruises have more kids than Carnival on them.

On HAL the ninety year old parents bring their 60 and 70 year old kids with them.:D

Very funny! We think the lines are more alike than different. We had fantastic food and service on our last HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam.

Carnival is much better at games and activities. There was only one Trivia game per day on the Zuiderdam and it was absolutely packed every day. If you didn't get there an hour before, you had little chance of finding a seat. It sometimes got nasty with people trying to claim the same seat. Who needs stress like that on a cruise? :rolleyes:

Carnival tends to run games all day long. :)

Edmusic,

You did a nice, even handed comparison between the 2 lines. More and more I'm finding HAL's dining room food and service to be spotty. It used to be consistently good.

Roz

Totally agree, Roz. On the Nieuw Amsterdam last March 2011, the food and service was much better. Still not what I experienced on the Splendor, but much better than the Oosterdam.

Edmusic, your description of Carnival perked me up just reading it. I am going on the new Carnival Breeze TA in Nov. I did Nieuw Amsterdam TAs from FLL-BCN in spring 2011, 2012 and the Rotterdam NY-RotterdamTA/ Baltic 2011. Need a change. I think it is time to retire Cantare. Got the tape but don't want to see the show anymore.

My recent Hal cruises were great, but I need a mix. I have my first NCL one booked next winter.

Thanks for your comments. I think you'll love Carnival. I was very impressed with just about everything. I don't know why they get such a bad rap from most other cruise line 'cheerleaders'.

To those who say disparaging comments about Carnival, here is what another CC poster had to say:

"They control 50% of the cruise industry; they pay cash for their ships; and they acquire other cruise lines like a hobby."

Thanks for your comments. I think you'll love Carnival. I was very impressed with just about everything. I don't know why they get such a bad rap from most other cruise line 'cheerleaders'.
On my last HAL cruise, I met some folks out near the seaview pool area. I was relaxing at a table enjoying the little bit of sunshine you get in Alaska and was smoking a cigar. This couple came over and sat near me, the guy also smoking a cigar and struck up a conversation. (Cigars are good conversation starters, LOL). We talked about a lot of things about the cruise and crusing in general. They had been on many cruises, mostly on HAL and seemed to go out of their way to say how bad Carnival was. They said it several times. I finally asked them which Carnival ship and itinerary thay had found to be so bad. Then, they actually told me "Oh no, we would never cruise on Carnival". Really? REALLY? I had to get up and walk away.

Then, they actually told me "Oh no, we would never cruise on Carnival". Really? REALLY? I had to get up and walk away.

I think that is true with the majority of people that bash Carnival. Or, they went 5-10 years ago or during spring break. It's like the ladies at work that bash someone for a brand of clothes they wear or hand bag they carry. It is all about wanting to "appear" better than others. They only feel good about themselves when they can put someone or something else down. It is really sad!

People come in all sizes, types, temperments and desires.

So do ships, hotels and airlines.

There are some who love this or hate that. Their opinion is based on them. If you opinion does not agree they are bashers, twisted, and warped people. Are they right and you wrong, or are you right and they wrong:rolleyes:

Carnival Cruise lines has developed 5 products, each designed by them to be in ascending quality and experience. Starting with Carnival and Rising to Seabourn. The companys plan is to intorduce first time cruisers with an economy product and as they become more and more interested in gaining more and more quality they can go from Carnival to Princess to Cunard to Holland to Seabourn. Each providing better experience.

That better experience is the decision is entirely the passengers. If you are totaly satisified with Carnivas basic features, fine. Others may grow to want something more, and yet others still more. Its very subjective to a point; that being what fits you. Carnival has an appeal so too does Seabourn. Its that simple

I see many posts bashing Carnival -- The most successful cruise line in the world. AND Carnival owns many of the lines used for comparison.

I see Wal-mart being bashed -- One of the most successful companies in the world.

I see posts bashing NCL -- Most of the mainstream cruise lines are copying NCL's innovations in the industry.

I guess some people need to play the role of David by trying to slay Goliath.

To those who say disparaging comments about Carnival, here is what another CC poster had to say:

"They control 50% of the cruise industry; they pay cash for their ships; and they acquire other cruise lines like a hobby."

I think people are confusing Carnival Corporation (the umbrella corporation), which owns several cruise lines, such as Carnival, HAL, Princess, and Cunard, with Carnival Cruise Lines. The writers in this thread are referring to the cruise line, not the corporation.

I think people are confusing Carnival Corporation (the umbrella corporation), which owns several cruise lines, such as Carnival, HAL, Princess, and Cunard, with Carnival Cruise Lines. The writers in this thread are referring to the cruise line, not the corporation.

That won't stop them. Why let facts get in the way of a good story? ;)

We have cruised many different lines now with our favorite being Princess by far. But that being said I have to say that we really enjoyed our two Carnival cruises. The food was good, service excellent, crew really pleasant, nice balcony rooms and lots and lots of fun activities for the whole family. We were never bored and the vibe was upbeat and active. I would absolutely cruise with Carnival again. Now we have tried HAL this past summer and it was lovely, but I'm sorry to say on the activity scale pretty sedate (I hesitate to say dull, but that is sort of how I felt) for my taste. The food on HAL was definitely a step up from our Carnival cruises, but the service on Carnival was actually better. Entertainment on Carnival was definitely better and more varied. In a word, Carnival was fun! HAL offered a great itinerary, nice ship, friendly crew and relaxing atmosphere but at times I just felt gloomy and it wasn't just the cloudy Alaska skies. It was a gnawing feeling that something was just missing - like enthusiasm, excitement and fun. Perhaps this is not true of all HAL ships, but this was our experience on the Amsterdam.

We have cruised many different lines now wi lots and lots of fun activities for the whole family. We were never bored and the vibe was upbeat and active. I would absolutely cruise with Carnival again. Now we have tried HAL this past summer and it was lovely, but I'm sorry to say on the activity scale pretty sedate for my taste. The food on HAL was definitely a step up from our Carnival cruises, but the service on Carnival was actually better. Entertainment on Carnival was definitely better and more varied. In a word, Carnival was fun!- It was a gnawing feeling that something was just missing - like enthusiasm, excitement and fun. Perhaps this is not true of all HAL ships, but this was our experience on the Amsterdam.

I want an Ocean cruise, not a party.. no lots and lots of activites for families. No "VIBE' and up beat excitement" and no families either; just as you said sedate. and no thousands of passengers..

I have come to appreciate sedate and tranquil. I enjoy just being on a peaceful ship and entertaining myself Seldom will I ever take in a show

This is what Holland America intends for its passengers who seek out the line for its lack of "vibe and excietment" Passengers who want to get away from hype and like low key things.

Infact, lately, I have been seeking out Oceaina because it offers even a more low key casual atmosphere.

Holland Almerica is getting a bit too much for me with its bigger ships.

I would go crazy on a Carnival ship as it is the total oppsite of what I want from a cruise. I dont like Las Vegas either for the same reason.

However, you love that stuff..and have found a cruies line that fits you great. You dont like Holland for all the reasons I like it.. and thats fine.

I am glad that there are cruises for people with differing tastes.

We LOVE HAL for our upscale premium experience, great suites, suite perks, quiet and romance. The lovely Cabanas, Tamarind, the Room Service from MDR its amazing.

We LOVE CCL for WCMC, (Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, if you have had it, you'd know) we like it for a quick, cheap two bag getaway. Now, they have shrimp cocktail on the "always available" menu.

Carnival is great, when you look at it, for what it is.

Its great to be able to have the option to do that sometimes.

We LOVE HAL for our upscale premium experience, great suites, suite perks, quiet and romance. The lovely Cabanas, Tamarind, the Room Service from MDR its amazing.

We LOVE CCL for WCMC, (Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, if you have had it, you'd know) we like it for a quick, cheap two bag getaway. Now, they have shrimp cocktail on the "always available" menu.

Carnival is great, when you look at it, for what it is.

Its great to be able to have the option to do that sometimes.

i rarely eat dessert, but the chocolate melting cake is devilishly delicious. always available, too.

The basic business model of Carnival Cruise Line provided the resources for Carnival Corp to buy the other cruise lines which were struggling with their own business models and needed support and possiblly still do.

Many changes have been made in attempts to retain market share.

I want an Ocean cruise, not a party.. no lots and lots of activites for families. No "VIBE' and up beat excitement" and no families either; just as you said sedate. and no thousands of passengers..

I have come to appreciate sedate and tranquil. I enjoy just being on a peaceful ship and entertaining myself Seldom will I ever take in a show

This is what Holland America intends for its passengers who seek out the line for its lack of "vibe and excietment" Passengers who want to get away from hype and like low key things.

Infact, lately, I have been seeking out Oceaina because it offers even a more low key casual atmosphere.

Holland Almerica is getting a bit too much for me with its bigger ships.

I would go crazy on a Carnival ship as it is the total oppsite of what I want from a cruise. I dont like Las Vegas either for the same reason.

However, you love that stuff..and have found a cruies line that fits you great. You dont like Holland for all the reasons I like it.. and thats fine.

I am glad that there are cruises for people with differing tastes.

Very well stated and I totally agree. This is why I am glad there are many different cruise lines. When its just my SO and me, I will choose HAL every time. But, if I am planning to cruise with a group that likes a livelier atmosphere, I know I have better options and will choose another cruise line accordingly. Having a choice is what makes cruising a great way to travel.

I've never been on Carnival, but I just know the phrase "booze cruise" originated there.

I've never been to California , but I just know the phrase" Gnarly Dude" originated there.

Doesn't mean I paint everyone in the state with that broad brush , and wouldn't mind going there if the opportunity arose

I've never been on Carnival, but I just know the phrase "booze cruise" originated there.

I have never been on the moon but just know that cheese originated there! I only mention this because we have been on 3 Carnival cruises (among the more then 65 cruises and 2 1/2 years we have spent on cruise ships) and did not find the booze problem on Carnival to be much different then several other lines (especially RCI).

Hank

i rarely eat dessert, but the chocolate melting cake is devilishly delicious. always available, too.

Yes, and I think we might have to book another Carnival Cruise JUST to have it. Looking at the Sunshine. Looks like its going to be a really neat ship.

I have the recipe, I can not get even close to duplicating it, and I have never eaten anything that comes remotely even close. :)

We Love Carnival, but when we choose Carnival, its not what we cruise HAL for...

Folks who think Holland America is a floating mortuary, will go find a cruise that is glitz. vibe and action rather than coming on the Holland ship and trying to create it.

Too, Holland Americans lovers of sedate and calm wont go on a Carnival and be overwhelmed and frazzled by that which they seek to escape from..

I used to go to the Sunset Strip and listen to Jefferson Airplane live...and drink like a fish. Now I enjoy Noel Coward or Yani, tunes in a piano bar with a martini. Some people never want anything else; some do.

Take the cruise that fits you and be in the company of others of a similiar ilk.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Yes it probably did back in the 20th century (1970's), however, it is now the 21st Century and Carnival has come a long way. Variety is the spice of life. Like someone else said, if we listened to what others say, we would never have sailed on the line of the "nearly dead"! Sometimes it's good to get out and try other things, you never know what you're missing!

Archived