Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

Difference is no one on here is a victim because of the guy who went overboard......so no need for humor to make one self feel better..

They might not be a victim but they are still processing heavy communication. The same drive that compels people to feel so much sorrow and sadness for the stranger is handled by other people by making the situation lighter.

They might not be a victim but they are still processing heavy communication. The same drive that compels people to feel so much sorrow and sadness for the stranger is handled by other people by making the situation lighter.

You can't be serious:rolleyes:

You can't be serious:rolleyes:

Is this 'you can't be serious' in some sort of CC FAQ and Guideline book? What does your comment even mean besides, "I don't agree with this statement but I can't articulate any comment in response"

The previous comments state they couldn't imagine anyone laughing or making light of this situation. Well, the person has probably never had a gun pointed in their face or been held hostage in a home invasion. so who is ANYBODY to judge over light comments or how someone reacts or comments on NO FACTS over a STRANGER'S death. That's like me saying, I have no idea how anybody can get so sorrowful over a stranger. This "I have no idea" translates to, "I'm too narrow minded to realize there is more than just my perception in the world"

Some bad news folks......"Nobody gets out of here alive".....no matter that all you may ignore we all will someday meet the same fate.......but hopefully not as inane as jumping off a ship with a life ring around your waist:D......oh....er......:(:(

(I hope that helps)................................................te he, sincker sincker......:D

Hope you feel better? Shouldn't be surprised as that seems right on par with you.

you are very sick... I feel sorry for anyone in your family or any friends that you might have.... very immature. and disgusting.... laughing at the loss of someones life...

It is people like this that should be banned from these boards...

Some people are a few bricks shy of a full load.

Interesting -- I wonder why none from RCCL? And why so many more on Carnival?

Royal has them also -- They have one of the most infamous in 2005 in the Med -- George Smith on the Brilliance. It was possibly murder -- either way he went over. The graph is definitely wrong

Carnival has more ships than the other lines listed.... a lot more than most of them

Royal has them also -- They have one of the most infamous in 2005 in the Med -- George Smith on the Brilliance. It was possibly murder -- either way he went over. The graph is definitely wrong

Carnival has more ships than the other lines listed.... a lot more than most of them

RCI as it is listed shows 26. Carnival shows 47. Carnival does not outnumber Royal by much in ships. One or two.

Why are you so bent out of shape about the jokes? It's not like anyone knows the guy.

And all humor is tragedy. Think about it.

Wow. If your son or daughter or spouse commits suicide, it's OK for others to laugh about it publicly?

I cannot believe anyone is so cold.

Jim

RCI as it is listed shows 26. Carnival shows 47. Carnival does not outnumber Royal by much in ships. One or two.

I just looked again, Royal is listed twice as RCCL and RCI, RCCL was blank And RCI had the numbers.

(3 ships actually)

you are very sick... I feel sorry for anyone in your family or any friends that you might have.... very immature. and disgusting.... laughing at the loss of someones life...

So ban anyone that posts something you dislike or don't agree with? :confused:

Some people use humor as a way to deal with tragedy, just as some people use sadness.

People deal with different situations in different ways.

Do the people here complaining about the "jokesters" HONESTLY feel sorry for each and every person that dies on this planet every day?

Thousands of people die on this planet every day for a myriad of reasons...but you never hear about them...does this make their deaths any less "important" than some random guy you didn't even know existed until this event happened?

If it was in fact a suicide...in my eyes, this person was a selfish POS for doing this to his loved ones.

Wow. If your son or daughter or spouse commits suicide, it's OK for others to laugh about it publicly?

I cannot believe anyone is so cold.

Jim

From the initial reports it was far from a suicide. The man was trying to evade security and jumped. I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for someone that does this. We don't know yet why he was running from security, but for whatever reason he grabbed a life-ring and took himself off of the ship.

And in doing so he has disrupted the plans and expectations for thousands of other people. The ship has to now skip Key West. I feel sorry for those people that are missing a port because of one person's selfish acts. What about the three ships, motor lifeboat and helicopter that was dispatched to look for him? That doesn't come free nor cheap. Again, the result of one person's selfish acts.

What if he has just some person that was trying to evade security guards and jumped off the roof of a hotel? Would you feel just as sad for him and his family? What about the man that tried to release the anchor of the HAL ship? Would that have been excusable if he'd died in the process? None of these acts are those of a rational person, but that doesn't give them a blanket pardon.

This man made a choice that impacted thousands of individuals beyond himself. I don't see anyone considering that aspect. Call me cold, I don't care. Like I said before, I refuse to feel sorry for stupidity. I wouldn't laugh at or make light of suicide, never.

So go ahead and have sympathy for the man that chose to jump off of the ship, but you should think about the rest of the people affected by that mans choices and get down from your pulpit and let other people have their opinions. Just because people don't agree with you and your feelings doesn't automatically make them sick, or disgusting, or cold. :cool:

The artical did not say anything about "drunk or unruly passengers".

The article did not say whether he fell or jumped. If he just fell then I would wonder about drinking history but if he jumped it could have been depression. Most people are happy on a cruise but oddly if one is depressed sometimes situations which should normally be happy ones actually increase their depression by making them more acutely aware of how bad they feel. There is, for instance, a much higher rate of suicide at Christmas time! Either way is very sad and I feel nothing but compassion for the man and his family.

.......hmmmmm.......I wonder how that new drink package is working out on Carnival Cruise Line?.......I haven't heard anything yet........:confused::confused:;)

Tragedy + time = comedy. Might want to wait a little longer next time.

Am I the only one here who finds all these jokes in REALLY bad taste?

Hound, hope you can fill us in.

No matter what the story, it is always sad to hear that someone has gone overboard.

Pray for his family.

My prayers go out for the family, crew and other passengers. This is a terible thing to happen to anyone on that ship, obviously especially for the man's family.

This seems to happen so often on Carnival Ships and I actually feel bad for Carnival. I have sailed Carnival and had a lovely cruise both times, the jokes are not funny....... but it is an unfortunate coincidence that this happens over and over on Carnival ships.

I am on cruise critic every single day and every time I click on a man overboard story it is a Carnival ship......I know it has happend on others, but it primarily has been happening on Carnival over the past 3 years ...........just a terrible wast of a young life.....

Its not Carnivals fault.. Its the "class" or type of passenger the company attracts.. Its a "budget" cruiseline.. Sorry if I sound offensive or mean.. But its true.

I wonder if those people who jump off a ship suddenly decide to do that or if they board the ship already thinking about it. Sad, scary thoughts go through my head when I hear these things. :(

This article explains a lot. I know I have felt this urge when walking over a bridge before...

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/03/13/10657767-that-weird-urge-to-jump-off-a-bridge-explained?lite

So ban anyone that posts something you dislike or don't agree with? :confused:

Some people use humor as a way to deal with tragedy, just as some people use sadness.

People deal with different situations in different ways.

Do the people here complaining about the "jokesters" HONESTLY feel sorry for each and every person that dies on this planet every day?

Thousands of people die on this planet every day for a myriad of reasons...but you never hear about them...does this make their deaths any less "important" than some random guy you didn't even know existed until this event happened?

If it was in fact a suicide...in my eyes, this person was a selfish POS for doing this to his loved ones.

A pos? :( More than likely the person is suffering something you will never underdstand and likely mentally ill. How can you even say something so cruel. Many people that do this are victims of things you can never imagine. Its posters like you that make me sick to my stomach. Shame on you.

I am sure everyone's heart aches for the loved ones of someone who attempts suicide OR does something so utterly stupid that they wind up dead because of it....I don't see hwo your attitude does anything good for the family when you call their loved one a POS though.

Unreal....

Why don't you just count your blessings that you aren't in this particular state of mind..or state of foolishness or whatever it was that had this person go overboard and pray that your family remains all mentally stable because I am sure that if someone you loved was suffering, challenged OR just did something plain old stupid and died because of it, that you wouldn't be too happy with anyone calling them a POS.

:rolleyes:

Archived