Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

The family has been notified. As I said earlier, it's still under investigation, so I'll avoid reporting some of the alleged (and crazy!) details leading up to it, but it appears he grabbed a life ring and jumped while running away from security.

As a result, Fascination has been forced to skip it's planned port in Key West due to the search efforts.

Were his last words "you'll never take me alive copper!"? :D

I saw this thread this morning and it has been on my mind. I am a normal upper middle class 40 year old woman. I have 3 kids and a husband who retired from the Marine Corp after 23 years of service. I have had a good life, I have worked hard for my education and outside the home. One day my life blew up and everything changed. I was 36 weeks pregnant and mother to a 3 year old little boy. My husband and been deployed my entire pregnany and the day he was coming home for a one week visit and then leaving again for another 4-5 months I died. I really did. I suffered a ruptured splenic artery aneurysm at the airport holding on to my little 3 year olds hand. My husband came off the plane to find out I had collapsed.

The long and the short of it is this, I had a ER csection, they got our baby out and rushed him to the NICU. They found bleeding but closed me up only to have me wake up in recovery, go into cardiac arrest and a full code blue. CPR was started and I was rushed back to surgery, the doctors had no idea what was wrong with me and decided to call it. Until my angel surgeon arrived and would not give up on me. He performed a ER thoracotmy discovered the ruptured aneurysm and then performed a splenectomy and distal pancrenectomy. Late that night he told my husband to call my family to fly in and say their good byes. I was given my last rites and if I survived the night I would be taken back to surgery in the morning.

We survived, my beautiful baby boy is now 11 years old and wonderful. It was a long road back. Nothing was ever the same and it will never be the same. I lost years recovering and then spiraling into depression. I slit my wrist in a desperate call for help! I had survived the unthinkable dying while having a baby. I sound ungrateful right? I lived and our baby lived but I was depressed??? For the first few years it was pure adrenalin after that everything came crashing down. I learned so much about myself, about others and about life. I had lived with melanoma since I was in my 20's and was scared of the sun but it took dying from the aneurysm and being in the ICU to wake me up and appreciate the feeling of being outside, sun shining and the breeze blowing.

I am sharing this extremely personal story because I learned you never know what is going on in another's life and unless you have walked in their shoes you probably will not be able to understand.

Don't judge this poor man. I don't, my heart is breaking for him and his family. I now know my attempt was extremely selfish. I wanted to end my physical and emotional pain. I owe it to my sons, husband and family to fight to stay here. It is still a struggle and I have to fight harder to get through some periods. I never understood PTSD or depression until I fell victim to it.

I share this not for sympathy for me but for empathy for this young man and others like him. Maybe he was judged enough in this life.

I appreciated all the stories of survival that have been shared, but will say this, when we play with booze and drugs, we are playing Russian Roulette, and that my friends, is psycho suicide. I lost my first love to a drug overdose, add booze and a car. No one said that was suicide, but it was, because he was using all that stuff to change the way he thought. I am hoping with all the drinking I have seen while cruising, and the stupid mistakes that people have made over this past year, that Carnival would rethink the unlimited drink card.:cool:

Let me squash one thing now. This does not appear to be a suicide (nor a homicide). This is a very crazy story. I'm still holding the info close until I know proper notifications have been made.

Sounds like somebody did something REALLY stupid.

OK - call me stupid :) what does AqcuaHound do for a living?

He is a civilian employee for USCG in Key West and is I believe a criminal investigator. He has shared this information on these boards in the past.

He is a civilian employee for USCG in Key West and is I believe a criminal investigator. He has shared this information on these boards in the past.

He is also a former Coastie or as we call them shallow water sailors......

I have compassion for the family members not the Individual.

And yes I have experienced the emotion of a loved one taking their own life. So I have seen it from both sides.

And the only question is WHY?????? What can be so bad for someone to make that choice.

If you are truly a DOC, then you surely understand the devastation that depression can cause. It is the same as not being sane, so to make that judgement and wonder what can be so bad is not understanding the inner workings of the mind which I would think a doctor would have some understanding of.

Pat

I think that joking is ok but people here (you have a right to your opinions and such we all do) are assuming and jumping to conclusions before getting the facts. I also am curious what happened why and what made this man go overboard. I do know something is not right I have my own ideas but I keep them to myself because its just speculation. I agree with Aquahound not talking yet until he is able to and when the facts are all correct. Im sure this situation is alot bigger than what we know and we not know whether he was found or not alive or dead. So I await, till I hear from Aquahound or hear it from the news. Even the news can get things distorted...I was on the Monarch of the Seas in 2010 we picked up cuban refugees and the news had few issues totally wrong that went out to the public. It happens so best we wait for the facts I say.

It has been stated that this was probably NOT a suicide.

You are correct.

Sorry, I can only check back here periodically while sitting idle between work projects. I still don't want to say too much about the other allegations until I know it's ok.

One thing I will say, this is one of the craziest stories I have heard ref passenger behavior gone bad. Believe me, I want to tell you all everything, but in my profession, I'm careful not to be premature with information.

It's reported......"The Coast Guard says has three ships, a motor life boat and a helicopter are currently searching the waters off Ponce De Leon for the man."

I would say something is defiantly up.

Can you post the link to this please...very interesting

Thanks

Can you post the link to this please...very interesting

Thanks

Here's one: http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120828/NEWS01/120828008/Coast-Guard-searches-man-believed-jumped-off-cruise-ship

Not much information and all the news articles have been a regurgitation of the same non-information. Waiting for Aquahound to spill the beans once it's settled...

Archived