Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

Here's a new release article with just a little more. This is the first media report I've seen mentioning he grabbed a life ring before jumping.

http://www.examiner.com/article/carnival-fascination-passenger-missing-at-sea

Thanks for the post.

While reading another article.

It said the Airforce had joined in the search this morning with some of a Reserve Unit..

My question is ( i understand if you cant answer ) is this more of a maneuver for training the reservisitis that are doing their 2 week acdutra?

Or was this a unit that was activated due to the Hurricane and was requested by USCG to assist.

I know how things work on the west coast but we only have earthquakes:eek:

Hey Squid (and no, I didn't miss your earlier jabs!;)).

I'm really not sure about the SAR efforts. I think some units were in that area fleeing from Isaac, which would explain the massive USCG response. AF, I have no clue.

While reading another article.

It said the Airforce had joined in the search this morning with some of a Reserve Unit..

My question is ( i understand if you cant answer ) is this more of a maneuver for training the reservisitis that are doing their 2 week acdutra?

Or was this a unit that was activated due to the Hurricane and was requested by USCG to assist.

Patrick AFB is the home of the 920th Rescue Wing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/920th_Rescue_Wing) which is trained specifically for these kinds of operations. Local news hasn't carried any reports of units activated due to the hurricane so it was probably used as a training opportunity for the reservists.

BTW, the unit typically does a demonstration at the Cocoa Beach Air Show and they are quite good.

Hey Squid (and no, I didn't miss your earlier jabs!;)).

I'm really not sure about the SAR efforts. I think some units were in that area fleeing from Isaac, which would explain the massive USCG response. AF, I have no clue.

No problem Coastie. I wouldnt expect any less;)

I was surpirised with the response of all those cutters. Maybe 1 but not 3 But being out of port makes sense but the AF usually doesnt get involved in these things. Most of the time the AF weekend warriors are relaxing at the country club:D IM JK.

Patrick AFB is the home of the 920th Rescue Wing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/920th_Rescue_Wing) which is trained specifically for these kinds of operations. Local news hasn't carried any reports of units activated due to the hurricane so it was probably used as a training opportunity for the reservists.

BTW, the unit typically does a demonstration at the Cocoa Beach Air Show and they are quite good.

Ok Thank you.

I didnt think they activated any for a hurricane. That would be more National Guard. The Air Force doesnt usually assist in something like this . It is usually for an AF pilot that bails.

Im sure they put on a heck of a show.

No problem Coastie. I wouldnt expect any less;)

I was surpirised with the response of all those cutters. Maybe 1 but not 3 But being out of port makes sense but the AF usually doesnt get involved in these things. Most of the time the AF weekend warriors are relaxing at the country club:D IM JK.

:D As a former AF weekend warrior, we had it made. I remember coming down from Mass to Ft Walton Beach for an multi service exercise. I was in town washing my fatigues at the laundrymat and a young soldier asked where I was camped out. I told him, Honey, I joined the Air force. They contracted a hotel on the beach for their people. LOL.

Kemp has been at Fort Stewart since September 2010. He was the artillery man with the 4th infantry brigade combat team. He has also been to Iraq twice on two different deployments.

He went off the deep end... so sad what a tradegy He could of been drinking and relived being in Iraq, I say nobody will know the truth so sad....unfortunately these poor soldiers go to combat come back and some do have psychological problems that they can't overcome. My prayers to this soldier and his family.

:D As a former AF weekend warrior, we had it made. I remember coming down from Mass to Ft Walton Beach for an multi service exercise. I was in town washing my fatigues at the laundrymat and a young soldier asked where I was camped out. I told him, Honey, I joined the Air force. They contracted a hotel on the beach for their people. LOL.

That is funny and I tell everyone that wants to enlist go AF(only because the Coasties arnt hiring) But you guys have it good most of the time.

A cousin of my GF is med-retired AF, he was with the USA in Afghani .He saw more action than some Marines I know.

unfortunately these poor soldiers go to combat come back and some do have psychological problems that they can't overcome. My prayers to this soldier and his family.

While I will reserve comments on what actually happened... I know alot of soldiers (Army or Marine) that have PTSD.

Im glad the VA is recognizing PTSD more so than it did in the past.

Its not Carnivals fault.. Its the "class" or type of passenger the company attracts.. Its a "budget" cruiseline.. Sorry if I sound offensive or mean.. But its true.

So Carnival attracts all us "low class" people and further more us "low Class" people are more likely to commit suicide? Really????

So it couldn't be that you hear about this occuring more often on Carnival (a cruise line which sails about 22 ships not counting those sailed by other lines owned by Carnival) than on some other cruise lines (sailing only 6-8 ships) because there are more people sailing on their ships?

Lets see.....which reasoning makes more sense? Some of us are SO depressed by our lack of "class" that we must throw ourselves into the ocean from the deck of the only cruise ships we can afford? VS there are a certain percentage of depressed people in the general population. A percentage of those will commit suicide. Therefore which ever cruiseline supplies the greatest number of days cruised to the population will have the greatest number of suicides. ...Hmmmm.

My parents are on this cruise. My mother called me at work yesterday and she said the man and his girlfriend were fighting and security had been keeping an eye on them. Not sure what happened to make the security guard chase the male, but something did. The security guard watch him jump overboard. All the passengers were awakened and I think a count was made. I didn't ask my mom as she was trying to say a lot quick. She said it was around 2am. There was boats and helicopters all over the place and as of 7 am yesterday they had not found him.

Course, my mother was upset that Carnival made the announcement not to go to Key West due to the time lost. That was the main reason they picked this cruise was for Key West. So naturally my mother said, and I quote, "Some stupid man was fighting with his girlfriend and the security tried to handle him and he ran from them and the idiot jumped overboard. And now we won't be able to go to Key West because some this idiot was drunk, abusing his girlfriend, and jumps overboard."

I did mention to her that the drunk, abusive, idiot was now a dead idiot. She said that it was unfortunate that he is dead, and sad for the family, but he chose he actions. And now everyone on the boat was paying for it.

I can't wait to hear more once they get home Saturday.

Wow, what a sad deal this is no matter on what happened!

The sad thing to me is all the jokes and other awful comments that are being made on this situation. The ignorance and selfish thoughts around what happened because it messed someone's vacations up! Give me a break!

Someone lost his life! No matter what or why this has happened, there are loved ones involved and they are in pain right now! What's wrong with some of you people out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/18/2006 on MSC Cruises’ ship Melody, off the coast of Mozambique/South Africa.

A crew member was dumped by his girlfriend during the cruise. He threatened to jump and she apparently said “go ahead”, so he did. This happened while the ship was cruising off the Mozambique coast at about 2 AM. The girlfriend then reported him as "man overboard" and a recovery operation was started. It was estimated where he would likely be based on currents, winds, and sea conditions. At sunrise they found the man, alive, 500 meters from the anticipated recovery position (17 km from where he had gone overboard).

That is a current which moved him approximately 11 miles in about 3 to 4 hours. YES the currents there are quite strong. It just makes me think in this case of the Carnival ship that with the bad weather in the general area that this person could have been moved considerably further much quicker. I think finding someone in open water must be a very difficult exercise in bad weather.

The article said he was seen going into the water by a security guard. It does not say he was being chased by the guard at the time. It does not say whether he jumped or fell. It does not say that the man threw a life-preserver into the water. It says OTHER people threw life preservers in.

The entire story has yet to be published and many of those details will emerge. As of yesterday, news outlets began reporting he grabbed a life ring before jumping. Crew threw additional rings. The rest will slowly come out.

, "Some stupid man was fighting with his girlfriend and the security tried to handle him and he ran from them and the idiot jumped overboard. And now we won't be able to go to Key West because some this idiot was drunk, abusing his girlfriend, and jumps overboard."

Wow.

Never a dull moment on cruises. We had a murder on the Liberty in 2010. It was hushed up and little information came out.

There was an emergency call in the AM. Rumors went all over the ship. Everything from a woman suffering a stroke to her husband killing her.

We were delayed from disembarking for 2 hours.

The FBI came on board and the cabin was taped off with "Do Not Cross" tape. Hardly what you would expect from a mere medical emergency.

It was only as we were about to cast off from St. Thomas, and the FBI left the ship with a man in handcuffs did it become blatantly apparent that a crime had been committed.

The "official" line?

It was a "medical emergency."

Archived