Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

Best USAF dining facility? Nellis AFB. The cooks receive continual training from the chefs from the hotels on the Las Vegas strip.

I am stationed at Nellis and I can assure you that the food is no better here than at any other base. They do not use much seasoning because they have to appeal to a great number of people. I also have not heard of any training they recieve from strip chefs.

I am stationed at Nellis and I can assure you that the food is no better here than at any other base. They do not use much seasoning because they have to appeal to a great number of people. I also have not heard of any training they recieve from strip chefs.

Well, that was back in the 90's.

With reduced budgets, things are very likely different now. I retired in 2001, and from what I have heard, I would not even recognize the USAF today.

You didn't think him entering staff areas, having an altercation and then jumping from deck to deck was crazy? That's wild enough for me.. but I am pretty tame !

No....the real story here is what this guy did that was so serious that he actually jumped overboard to evade security.

For 3 days, 15 pages I've hoped not to see this thread header every time I open cc.

I can promise you it's more than distressing to anyone who has ever experienced a loss to suicide.

Someone lost their life, and their family and friends lost a loved one. I just don't understand some of the vitriolic comments posted?

Please...be glad you haven't been through this and move on - this is suppose to be a happy place to plan your vacation.

For 3 days, 15 pages I've hoped not to see this thread header every time I open cc.

I can promise you it's more than distressing to anyone who has ever experienced a loss to suicide.

Someone lost their life, and their family and friends lost a loved one. I just don't understand some of the vitriolic comments posted?

Please...be glad you haven't been through this and move on - this is suppose to be a happy place to plan your vacation.

This wasn't a suicide.

If the thread is distressing you then why would you keep reading it?

If I were a betting man, I would put money on there being just a little bit more to it. ;)

I would've assumed that even if Paul wasn't a gambler :)

I believe it all starts with WHY was he running away from security and WHY was there a need for pepper spray. Me thinks there is much more to this story.

Your post gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. It is very touching. I do agree with you as far as feeling sadness for strangers, especially from 9/11. However, the victims of 9/11 were not responsible for what happened, which makes it that much more sad and I find myself feeling more empathetic towards the victims and their families. Now, I'm not saying that the guy who jumped overboard is not a terrible thing to happen, but no one pushed him overboard. He jumped on his own. (And of course, this is was is being reported now). Things must have been pretty bad to do that. A sober person or someone in his/her right mind wouldn't jump. The point of all of this is I believe we tend to be more empathetic towards people when it wasn't self inflicted. I hope my thoughts came across they way I intended them to. However, I'm sure there are a few out there who are ready to flame me.

Thank you, and I agree with you. While I realize that people will not empathize with him for his actions, It is very sad that anyone was compelled to jump, no matter what the reason... he lost his life. His family lost him. Life is just so much more important than some people realize. Like I said, they lost a day... this man and his family and friends , lost a whole lifetime... Personally, if they had taken the whole week to search for him and I was onboard... that would have been okay with me... sure, I missed my cruise, sure I spent my money... but that is just STUFF. People need to realize just how important life is... we only have one ya know... and all of those that missed their port.. will probably get there another day... unlike this man and his family...

Thank you, and I agree with you. While I realize that people will not empathize with him for his actions, It is very sad that anyone was compelled to jump, no matter what the reason... he lost his life. His family lost him. Life is just so much more important than some people realize. Like I said, they lost a day... this man and his family and friends , lost a whole lifetime... Personally, if they had taken the whole week to search for him and I was onboard... that would have been okay with me... sure, I missed my cruise, sure I spent my money... but that is just STUFF. People need to realize just how important life is... we only have one ya know... and all of those that missed their port.. will probably get there another day... unlike this man and his family...

Very well said.

I think that most of us do. That is exactly why we stay on the deck side of the railing.

Well, it is still sad that this man thought that his only option was to jump off a ship. I do feel for him and his family.

I would've assumed that even if Paul wasn't a gambler :)

I believe it all starts with WHY was he running away from security and WHY was there a need for pepper spray. Me thinks there is much more to this story.

This wasn't a suicide.

The bottom line is the guy was not in his right mind. Even if alcohol was involved, doing what he did points to not being healthy in the head. All the guessing and speculating isn't necessary. The guy was obviously sick. A healthy minded person, sober or drunk, in trouble or not...does NOT jump off a ship like that.

People were FORCED to miss their ports, this man CHOSE to jump over board BIG difference. His choice affected these folks, he was the selfish person.

People were FORCED to miss their ports, this man CHOSE to jump over board BIG difference. His choice affected these folks, he was the selfish person.

100% correct.

Personal responsibility (I know, like chivalry, is dead) dictates that only one person is responsible for bringing problems for everyone else on that ship.

Given that the crew member with whom he had a Physical confrontation with was female, i am wondering if it was viewed as a sexual assault? If that were the case, would he not have put his whole future military career at risk? Ie a criminal charge? I cant imagine where he thought he could run to, on a ship?

I was waiting for someone to say this, which is why I waited to comment. I am wondering if this was a sexual assault in some way or racially motivated.

This is not some simple, slapping someone. He did something that I think he knew was going to have him in a lot of legal trouble.

I am only hoping the crew member was not raped.

A healthy minded person, sober or drunk, in trouble or not...does NOT jump off a ship like that.

I don't know if I would assume he was having mental health issues. I have seen lots of my soldiers do amazingly stupid crap on superman juice. Its possible he might have thought he would splash down and make the security guards have to work extra hard. He may have planned on laughing his arse off while they lowered the life-rafts. I can think of a handful of guys I can see being so stupid while hammered.

But in the end the old saying goes. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. He definitely won.

While many of you that have not been at the "pointy end of the stick" have opined on PTSD - most of you have combat PTSD dead wrong (no pun intended).

I served 2 combat tours in SEA (with a 90 day break) and have seen way too many of my brothers and sisters from the era not deal with their demons very well at all. Everyone handles things differently.

It's nice that the VA is stepping up - somewhat - but that can take a year from when you need the help - and 50% of the time they get it wrong. Research some articles - it won't take you long. You can't just walk in and get the help you EARNED which is a crime against these heros IMO.

I don't have a dog in this fight - but I mourn the probable loss of another brother/sister in arms that is part of a very wasted generation.

Nobody - nowhere - at any time - should be subject to 3, 4, 5 combat tours.

As a wise man once said: "That just ain't right".

Archived