Tipping Porters

EBM

We usually just give the guy 5.00 for our 2 bags. If we don't have a 5.00 on us, we give him 2.00 per bag.

Two weeks ago, we completely forgot to get change, and only had enough to give 1.00 per bag without having to ask for change for a 20.00. So we gave him the couple bucks and one of our bags never made it to our room. When we went to claim our bag in the unknown bag section, the room tag and our name tags were both mysteriously removed.

$0 if all I am doing is handing them my luggage as I enter the terminal. They are union longshoremen earning generous salaries and you are already compensating them for their service in your port fees. There are signs up at most U.S. ports saying that the porters do no not need to be tipped (and in a couple of ports they are not supposed to accept tips). Also, the porters you see do not do much with your bags; they merely put them on a cart next to them, wheel the cart a few yards when full and then others do 99% of the work (and because they are behind the scenes, none are receiving any tips). If you are having them do extra work, then it is nice to tip them (i.e. if you are having them write you out new luggage tags or carry your bags from your car etc.).

I don't remember if I've ever tipped for my bags. I do know though that they move fast and sometimes you don't have a chance to actually give them anything. If you want to, make sure it's ready.

Most people suggest $1 a bag if you want to, but as with everything, there are very conflicting reports (as you already see above). Just do what you feel is right.

Cheers!

We usually just give the guy 5.00 for our 2 bags. If we don't have a 5.00 on us, we give him 2.00 per bag.

Two weeks ago, we completely forgot to get change, and only had enough to give 1.00 per bag without having to ask for change for a 20.00. So we gave him the couple bucks and one of our bags never made it to our room. When we went to claim our bag in the unknown bag section, the room tag and our name tags were both mysteriously removed.

Insinuating someone ripped your tags off because you didn't tip....? :eek:

Or we can just turn the conversation to a lighter tone since the OP got the info they were looking for already.....

So......

If you don't tip, you're going to hell for sure. Just so you know.

Bahahahahaha. Ahh...cruise critic, I love you.

oh boy, here we go again! :eek:

Oh, I tip them alright. I hand them an especially heavy bag, see which side the porter picks it up with, run to that side and tip him over. Then I stand over him and laugh, saying, "I hope you enjoyed your tip. Now make sure my bags get to my room...boy!!!" :D

...Usually $5.

I don't care if they are union or now. We still tip $5 for a 3 night cruise and $10 for a 7 night cruise.

It is not so much that they are unionized, but that they receive full salaries and already compensated by you through your port fees. Tipping them is akin to tipping a flight attendant for serving you a drink, you city bus driver for taking public transportation, or the check in worker at the airport who puts your luggage on the conveyor belt as you receive your boarding pass. They are all providing you a service, but are already being fully compensated for said service.

You can tip them if you would like (most will accept it, even in the ports where they are not supposed to), but there is absolutely no need or expectation to tip a person earning a generous salary for carrying out their most basic job duty (and there are signs up at most ports reminding you that they do not need to be tipped). I am not sure why so many feel the urgency to tip these people for performing fifteen seconds of work, but feel no need to tip the behind-the-scenes people who do 99% of the work (and most of these people are earning far less than the "porter" who takes your bags).

Certainly nothing wrong with tipping them (if that is how one wants to spend their money), but personally I'd rather save that money for extra tips for the hard working staff on the ship who expend so much more time and effort ensuring I have a great vacation and earn peanuts compared to the longshoremen.

I think my popcorn is over this topic :rolleyes:

I tip yes I do...I want to make sure my bags ALL my bags (especially my bag with my Shamp-BOOZE) $2 a bag and my husband adds an extra $5 for the HEAVY bag we refer to as "Big Red".

I don't care if they are union or not. I just always tip any type of service we get. We usually tip $5 for a 3 night cruise and $10 for a 7 night cruise.

I even slip the Captain a couple of bucks when we shake hands in the reception line :D

It is not so much that they are unionized, but that they receive full salaries and already compensated by you through your port fees. Tipping them is akin to tipping a flight attendant for serving you a drink, you city bus driver for taking public transportation, or the check in worker at the airport who puts your luggage on the conveyor belt as you receive your boarding pass. They are all providing you a service, but are already being fully compensated for said service.

You can tip them if you would like (most will accept it, even in the ports where they are not supposed to), but there is absolutely no need or expectation to tip a person earning a generous salary for carrying out their most basic job duty (and there are signs up at most ports reminding you that they do not need to be tipped). I am not sure why so many feel the urgency to tip these people for performing fifteen seconds of work, but feel no need to tip the behind-the-scenes people who do 99% of the work (and most of these people are earning far less than the "porter" who takes your bags).

Certainly nothing wrong with tipping them (if that is how one wants to spend their money), but personally I'd rather save that money for extra tips for the hard working staff on the ship who expend so much more time and effort ensuring I have a great vacation and earn peanuts compared to the longshoremen.

I have no reason to doubt that what you say is correct. Many people, including myself, like to give a tangible "thank you" to someone that has personally assisted us. I don't feel obligated, it just seems right to me. I don't ask myself what someone does or doesn't earn prior to tipping. Way too much thinking on vacation!!

Archived