Which Cruise Ship with a Toddler ?

henrytf

Hello all, we are considering a cruise next year with our daughter, son in law & grandaughter who will be 2 1/2 next summer - 2013.

We prefer smaller ships (just back from the Azamara Quest - sensational !:) but not I think for a toddler :confused:).

Any suggestions which ships would give us a reasonable compromise for the adults as well as plenty to occupy the little one?

We have always had balcony cabins, what would be the best sort of cabin to keep a toddler in? do they provide cot's ? baby sitters? etc etc !

Any other advice also welcome!!

Many thanks

Grandpa Henry

At 2 1/2 your granddaughter may be too young for the kids clubs on many (perhaps most) ships, as well as for most of the other fancy entertainments. Given that, you might as well pick the ship that makes you happy since her entertainment will be whatever you provide for her anyway.

Carnival is the only line that allows 2 year olds into its kids club. RCCL (some ships) and Disney have nurseries that have child care, for a fee, with a limited number of hours that can be signed up for in advance. However, be aware that the 2 year old would be in with infants. RCCL has babysitting, availability not guaranteed, for a fee ($19/hour) which can be requested once onboard.

A balcony cabin is what you should get....it gives the adults someplace "to be" while baby is napping or down for the night. Nothing worse than sitting in a darkened, quiet room at 8pm.

Don't worry about the balcony, from a safety standpoint. You're never more than a few steps from your child in a cabin, and a toddler cannot open the balcony door. They will NOT "fall off" the ship.

A balcony is the way to go when you have a small child.

I'm guessing it's Newark, US, but just in case it's Newark, UK, then P&O family ships have facilities for babies, and a night nursery for babies and up to 5 years, with qualified staff, where you can leave your child for the evening till late, so you can have dinner and a show.

Jo..

Also be aware that most ships will not allow a child that is not toilet trained into the pool. So I agree that you should choose a ship that has activities the adults like and ports with things to do such as nearby beaches or walking around town (as opposed to long drives) where the little one will be happy. Bring a collapsable stroller.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but I would guess they have the best activities for young children.

There are boards for cruising with families. I suggest you look here. Your question has probably been answered many times. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I've never been on a Disney cruise but I would guess they have the best activities for young children.

A common misconception. Disney's kids club, which the OP's little one wouldn't be eligible for anyway, have been the least well run of any line I've been on. The best activities would be on a RCCL Oasis or Freedom class ship.

A balcony cabin is what you should get....it gives the adults someplace "to be" while baby is napping or down for the night. Nothing worse than sitting in a darkened, quiet room at 8pm.

Don't worry about the balcony, from a safety standpoint. You're never more than a few steps from your child in a cabin, and a toddler cannot open the balcony door. They will NOT "fall off" the ship.

A balcony is the way to go when you have a small child.

WOW! a balcony is the last place I'd want a toddler near. 2 1/2 year olds climb and open doors. They move fast and are curious.

WOW! a balcony is the last place I'd want a toddler near. 2 1/2 year olds climb and open doors. They move fast and are curious.

The only people who go overboard are adults (who are usually drunk). Your fear is unfounded.

Balcony doors are heavy enough to make adults struggle to open them, and have locks up high. Balcony railings are made smooth to make it harder for little ones to climb. Sane parents keep a hand on their kids while out on a balcony, just in case.

I agree with the last post. Toddlers are pretty safe on the balconies. The plexiglass runs over 40inches high with nothing for them to grab onto. Also as it was previously noted the doors are extremely heavy and do lock. We always kept the door locked, the lock is out of reach for toddlers, unless we were on the balcony ourselves with the child. There are far more dangerous places aboard the ship than the room balcony for a toddler

I have been cruising with kids/grandkids for years. I also prefer smaller ships. I also love Azamara. Azamara is not for kids. I sail on Azamara as a couple or with adult friends. They have no kids activities. When I bring the kids, I pick Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or HAL. They have great kids activities. MY grandson who is 5 has been on 4 cruises. He likes the kids clubs. He keeps asking when he can go to the Fun Factory, Celebrity's club. We were on the Summit in April. WE have also sailed with infants as young as 8 months and toddlers in the 2-3 range. All the kids love cruising. Cruising provides lots of options for everyone. As a family, I ask for a dedicated table at the traditional early seating. Sometimes we also get connecting cabins. Connecting cabins are nice if you don't mind the little kids wandering in. We enjoy the "little" interruptions. It is also nice if you want to watch the kids during nap times or at night. We select a few nights to watch the little kids, put them to sleep and go into our adjoining cabin. It is a great arrangement. Take the kids and have fun. Celebrity balconies are full plexiglass. Great for little kids.

Each of my grandchildren have been cruising since they were 6 months old. Our family just does not take vacations from our children -- one of the big reasons we go on vacation is to be with our family without work and other obligations getting in the way. Babies are easy on a cruise ship. Each family had a pack and play and used that and once they used a "baby tent" for the 2 year old that springs up like a laundry container:p Nursing baby no problem with food. Little older there is so much variety the child eats about what they do at home -- what's on the table selected for likes and needs like the other members of the family. When very young, Mom and Dad took a clean sheet and placed it on the floor of an empty lounge. Played and read books and had a great time. Beer bucket allows splash play on deck. My family follows the rules and we don't bother others and hope that others don't bother us. We usually will have inside or window rooms -- more the parents decision (think $) rather than safety matters. With 7 cruises between my 2 grandchildren, I think I can say.

Let the cruising begin at age 6 months 2 days.(GS's first cruise age) Lots of ideas for cruising with small children are on the family thread.

Just be ready for lots of attention. The little ones are real celebs on the cruise. Everybody comes by to say hello and get a smile.

I don't think our kids were unusual ... at that age they were amused by whatever was in front of them, whether it was a fancy cruise ship or a cardboard box. Their amusement is not the issue ... solve for happy parents and the kids will be fine.

Crabby fellow cruisers are another issue altogether. Maybe they are responding to actual or anticipated experience with parents who think that their child should be the center of everyone's universe, but with reasonable parenting a child shouldn't impact anyone's cruise other than their own family's.

Archived