Buying a camera on board or in port

izzypooch

I am thinking about getting a nice, but economical DSLR camera. My price range is around $500 including a separate zoom lens.

I am cruising on the Freedom in October and wondered who has had experience buying a camera either on board or in port. My two options for shopping would be Grand Turk and Aruba. I've really never explored the onboard shops much -- just in and out, buying a few cosmetics so I have no idea what's there.

Would they have a nice selection? On average, how much could I save, do you think?

Thanks for any advice.

I would buy one before you go at Best Buy or another large electronics store. You will have a way better selection.

Aruba is a very expensive port of call. By far my least favorite of any port of call in the Caribbean. Grand Turk doesn't have any place that would sell DSLR cameras (at least no where that I know of)

I am thinking about getting a nice, but economical DSLR camera. My price range is around $500 including a separate zoom lens.

I am cruising on the Freedom in October and wondered who has had experience buying a camera either on board or in port. My two options for shopping would be Grand Turk and Aruba.

Would they have a nice selection? On average, how much could I save, do you think?

Thanks for any advice.

I would suggest you will do much better online before you leave. Pricing and selection will be significantly better. Duty free is great for those items like tobacco and liquor; not so well for electronics.

Kevin C

I'm not wanting to buy a camera FOR the cruise, necessarily. In fact, I'd prefer not to be bothered with shopping while on board or in port. I had no idea what the selection was or if it would be worth my while so that's why I was asking. If I thought I could save $100 or so, guess I'd be bothered!

So far, sounds like my best bet is to do it online or at my local Best Buy.

Veda

I am cruising on the Freedom in October and wondered who has had experience buying a camera either on board or in port. My two options for shopping would be Grand Turk and Aruba. I've really never explored the onboard shops much -- just in and out, buying a few cosmetics so I have no idea what's there.

Thanks for any advice.

I have found that looking at camera's on board and in ports there are issues. Most on board camera's for sale are Nikon and very over priced .

On shore better selection but you might run into an issue with factory warranty . Not all factory warranties are world wide . Example If you bought at camera in Hong Kong the warranty isn't valid in the US or Canada (that's why they are cheap) . The same item pricier in Singapore has a US & Canada warranty supplied.

yeah...I made that mistake...last year, in St Thomas....I decided that I wanted a nice, small digital camera to replace my rather bulky hp photosmart....so we wandered into one of the many electronics stores and I purchased a nikon package for approx $110....I really like the camera....small and slim and nice to slip into a pocket....

but when we returned, I looked it up at best buy and could have saved myself a few bucks by buying here....

If you know what you want....and know how much it is here, it doesn't hurt to shop the cruise ports and check the prices....

My purchase was completely impulse and had no idea how much the nikon's were stateside....live and learn..........

I was thinking about doing the same thing and recieved the following advice from photography professionals and hobbyists.

1. Never buy a camera that doesn't feel right in your hand. Go to the store,

pick it up, get a feel for it.

2. If you have not used a DSLR, buy it ahead of time, play with it, experiment

with the settings. Give yourself time to learn what it can do and the

pictures you can create using it.

I had my choices narrowed down to Canon or Nikon and couldn't walk by a camera display without picking up and trying out the cameras I had in mind. Once I settled on the one I wanted, I looked for best price. The prices seemed fixed by the manufacturer to me. Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, B&H Photography and Adorama were all the same price. I bought the Nikon D3100, have been happy with it and am so glad I had the time to read the manual, play with it and get comfortable with it, before my trip. I'm not saying you should buy the Nikon over Canon. I bought mine for, purely personal reasons. Everybody in my family uses Canons, nobody asks to borrow my Nikon. LOL Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip and the pictures you take.

I agree with the feel in the hand thing. Based on my research and friend recommendations I was going to get a Nikon, but it didn't "feel" right so I got a Canon instead.

I would recommend going to a camera shop instead of the big box electronic stores, the price is about the same, but the service and knowledge is far superior.

If this is your first DSLR, I would recommend going with a budget body and quality lenses. Your photos would be better and quality lenses are a long term investment. You can always upgrade the body later.

Prices on board seemed reasonable, but we were on the allure, and selection was better also. One reason is duty free.

In port (St. Thomas I believe), I price compared a camera for fun.

Nikon D800-cheapest price online with no tax and free shipping was $2999. One the island, it was $2650, no tax. I know this is a different animal, but good prices can be had in port depending on where you are. I did not get it, was just 'looking'.

That being said, If buying the camera for the trip itself, definitely buy before hand. If looking for a bargain, do your research on your ports of call for camera shops.

If this is your first DSLR, I would recommend going with a budget body and quality lenses. Your photos would be better and quality lenses are a long term investment. You can always upgrade the body later.

What he said.....

Easy answer: B&H photo in New York.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Also check out KEH

http://www.keh.com/

Also, check out Bergen County Camera, and ask for Bob Gramegna. Tell him Lou Betti sent you.

http://www.bergencountycamera.com/

Do this over the phone or on line. No need to go to the store.

This comes from someone who has been buying and selling cameras for 40 years.

It would be best to purchase before leaving. That way you can read the reviews on the ones you like. I bought a Cannon t2i, it is pricey. It fits my hand very nicely. As new ones come out, I am so glad I have it as the body styles now do not fit my hand. And they are more heavy.

So take your time and find what you like.

I had 5 cameras priced to compare on a visit to St.Thomas. The thing I like least about St.Thomas is no prices on the cameras. The best they could do is match Best buy's prices with no sales tax. I'll take Best Buy and their great warranty any day.

I concur with the poster who suggested KEH and/or B&H. I also suggest that you consider slightly used equipment.

If you let someone else take the depreciation hit you can get some excellent equipment for very little $$. For example, for our recent anniversary, my wife got me a Pentax KM DSLR body from 2009, with fewer than 10,000 shutter activations on it (out of an expected life of 100,000) with both the 18-55mm and 50 to 200mm zoom lenses for about $350. The camera is in excellent condition and both KEH and B&H offer warranties (KEH = 6 mos, B&H = 3 mos) on all their used equipment.

Thanks for any advice.

Check Manufacturer/ModelNumber/Prices at B and H Photo video in New York and Adorama (I think in Chicago) so you have a basis for comparison. You might get a better deal buying a Body and normal lens for the manufacturer, and separately buying a "3rd party" Sigma Zoom Lens.

ken

I looked at the new Nikon J and V series and they were at least $100 more on the Caribbean Princess. The salesman said I was saving on duty and had a hard time understanding that, duty included, the land based prices were less. I prefer dealing with a camera store and also bought my last 2 cameras in Bergen Camera after a detailed demo. Their price was the same as on line vendors. I don't think they sell on line but you can call them. Make sure you are not buying grey market products at on line sellers which is common practice. You may save a little money but the warrantee may be an issue.

best buy will match amazon. And know what kinda zoom you want and what you want it for. Different zooms do different things. For that price point you are getting a basic kit and basic lens. I have seen some good kits with a extra lens with nikon although I am a cannon myself.

I buy at home and buy the extended warranties. If I drop it, break it, get sand in it, etc. it is covered. If you buy one abroad and it stops working, what a pain even if you can get it repaired under warranty. Also, I haven't found good deals on cameras in many years.

I vote for buy one before you leave and enjoy your vacation and photo taking!

I usually buy factory refurbished DSLRs with full guarantees. Part of my frugality. I've never paid more than half of the real street price (ignore the fake manufacturer's price).

If you find the urge to buy anything on a Carnival ship, especially electronics, the easiest way to get over the urge is to simply take several hundred dollar bills and light them on fire. It's a slightly faster way to burn hard earned money, and you'll at least derive a few BTUs of heat as they go up in smoke.

I agree with the others who suggest to get a feel for the camera and try it out before purchasing. That way you'll get exactly what you want that works best for you. I did buy my camera in the Caribbean with excellent results, but I spent time with an excellent salesperson who did a side-by-side comparison of the model I thought I wanted and the model I ended up buying. I saved on taxes and got some nice freebies with my purchase- but I bought at a large, reputable, and well stocked store with lots of choices.

My sister recnetly bought a camera onboard the ship when her camera broke mid-cruise. She loves her camera, but she only had Nikon to choose from, so she had no way to compare other models or compare prices.

I recently orderd a point and shoot camera from a well known online retailer. They are an excellent company, but it was a big mistake for me to purchase the camera sight unseen- I ended up not liking the camera at all and wish I had taken the time to check out other models to compare. I really think that if you know what you want or you are buying accessories, online is great- but otherwise- definitely go to a store with knowledgable sales staff.

A good local store is really the best option because you will be able to easily return it f you have a problem and you'll get the best selection to shoose from.

Happy camera shopping:)

Archived