Jewel hits power line in Faroe Islands

Motorman23

Just got this off the meet and mingle link for the TA from Harwich to Boston. We were on it last year. Apparently the ship hit a power line as it was docking. One injury so far.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-837937?ref=feeds%2Flatest

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2012/09/cruise-ship-hits-overhead-cabl.html

Mike

Jewel finally just reappeared on Marine Traffic and appears to be underway. That wasn't too bad of a delay, she was scheduled to leave 6pm local time.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Looks like Ms Martinez told a fib or CC got this part wrong :) This is part of the Cruise Critic article that was posted at 12:50 pm

Though Martinez said she didn't have any details on what was damaged, she did say the damage "in no way affects the seaworthiness of the ship." Jewel of the Seas has already moved on toward its next scheduled port of call in Reykjavik.

Sent to me by email from my boss who is on the ship. Sent at 2:30pm their time.

Broke it today. Major accident with crew injuries. They are trying to fix it so we can go on to Iceland. Mast hit power lines suspended across passage and tore off mast, antennas and radar

We will see I am sure I will hear from him again.

Looks like Ms Martinez told a fib or CC got this part wrong :) This is part of the Cruise Critic article that was posted at 12:50 pm

I saw that too.;) My Mom's email came about 10 minutes after that article was posted. She really didn't say much other than they were delayed. From the position of the ship, I really don't see how it could have sailed when Ms Martinez said it did.

I have been tracking the ship since it left Harwich and was very surprised this AM not to see it on AIS. I am just glad there weren't a lot of injuries and hopefully, the crew member recovers soon.

I will post if she emails again.

Sent to me by email from my boss who is on the ship. Sent at 2:30pm their time.

Broke it today. Major accident with crew injuries. They are trying to fix it so we can go on to Iceland. Mast hit power lines suspended across passage and tore off mast, antennas and radar

We will see I am sure I will hear from him again.

Pics can be deceiving but it doesnt appear to be to terrible bad. They are already underway :)

TornMastJewelofSeasjpg-2207518_p9.jpg

Edited by ryano

I saw that too.;) My Mom's email came about 10 minutes after that article was posted. She really didn't say much other than they were delayed. From the position of the ship, I really don't see how it could have sailed when Ms Martinez said it did.

I have been tracking the ship since it left Harwich and was very surprised this AM not to see it on AIS. I am just glad there weren't a lot of injuries and hopefully, the crew member recovers soon.

What site do you use to track this ship. I have a friend on board and would love to know where she is.

My Mom is on the ship. She just emailed that she and her friend were on the 11th deck when it happened. One crew member has gone to the hospital and that the ship is going to be sailing late. She said they are waiting to be cleared.

If she was on deck 11 forward, she got a good view. Judging from the photo on the CC-UK site it hit the radar/RF antenna array that is the highest point on the ship. If you search on Youtube for JEWEL SUNSHINE SKYWAY BRIDGE the video shows that mast/array at the end.

Hope mom is having a ball!!!

oh fun, was so depressed I couldn't take this cruise, glad I was able to give her my cabin, lol

Lol, definitely a nice location. Don't think they have had much chance to relax yet though since it was such a busy first week. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming storms effect them getting to St John's. Leslie and Michael could cause them some trouble.

Lol, definitely a nice location. Don't think they have had much chance to relax yet though since it was such a busy first week. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming storms effect them getting to St John's. Leslie and Michael could cause them some trouble.

I am sailing to Bermuda on sunday, hope Leslie stays out of our way, it is my consolation cruise. lol