Summit Sky Suite: 6145/46 or 6131/32

dkny330

Thanks all. As I am relatively new to cruising--this cruise in August will be my fourth--any suggestions or advice from others who are have more expertise in this matter than I do--how to save money, what to do, what not to do, what to be on the lookout for, shows and excursions to see, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Penthouse piano is a 'player' piano and it is loud. It has a manual mode so you can play it. My wife plays and we enjoyed having this in the room. I can see where it could drive the neighbors nuts if someone used it on autopilot all day. We left some sheet music in the seat in 2014 and plan to deposit some more in March. :)

Don't be shy about using the butler. We ate every meal in the room.

I was going to search for the video, glad someone had the link. We'll be in 6145

4 weeks from tomorrow!

I'll post a mini-review and some photos after!

Look forward to your mini-review with photos. We'll be sailing in 6145 on Connie in March. (First time with X) Different ships, but should be same room layout. :)

Single door doesn't bother me however it is my sister's room so we shall see. I will be in 6131. Any one have photos of the inside of the room so I can see the layout??? Thanks.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We were in 6131 Aug 30th sailing last year and totally loved the suite. We had very quiet neighbours, no noise from elevators and balcony size was great as long as you are aware there isn't a lot of privacy. Enjoy :)

As I am a very friendly person and talk to everyone, I actually like the fact that there is a lack of privacy. Doesn't bother me at all. I will gladly take the extra sized balcony and give up any privacy for this chance of lounging on this ultra sized balcony. And as I am a past teacher and talk alot--this is fine for me. Thanks.

Thanks. Question about Michael's club. I do not drink alcoholic beverages and neither does my nephew who is accompanying me(he is 16 btw). Does Michale's serve alcohol all the time?? What about soda and water beverages for him and me??? I can't find this answer anywhere.

Healingbuddy, When you are standing in front of the bar in Michael's on Summit, off to the left is a cooler which is for the patrons. Generally it is loaded with beer, soda and water and sometimes:D snacks. Help your selves. Everyone does.

Great. Fantastic. I was going to purchase the soda package for my nephew however now after reading what you guys are saying, I'm thinking it is not necessary and and expenditure I really do not need. Thanks everyone for your help. Any other tips would be most appreciated. You've been awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help and suggestions here. A month ago I booked sky suite 6131 for me and my nephew. Tonight just for a lark I got on the site and punched in sky suite 6145 and it came up available. I put a one day courtesy hold on it and now need to make a decision. It would be the same price as the 6131--nothing changes from what I can see. So I have until tomorrow night at 1130 to make up my mind. I'm not sure what I should do as I was getting use to the idea of 6131 and the balcony. However isn't the balcony on 6145 bigger???? Any help or suggestions between now and tomorrow night would be most appreciated. Thanks all.

I need help and suggestions here. A month ago I booked sky suite 6131 for me and my nephew. Tonight just for a lark I got on the site and punched in sky suite 6145 and it came up available. I put a one day courtesy hold on it and now need to make a decision. It would be the same price as the 6131--nothing changes from what I can see. So I have until tomorrow night at 1130 to make up my mind. I'm not sure what I should do as I was getting use to the idea of 6131 and the balcony. However isn't the balcony on 6145 bigger???? Any help or suggestions between now and tomorrow night would be most appreciated. Thanks all.
Having been in both, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

6145 has the more attractive looking furnishings as it is decorated to match the furniture in the connecting penthouse suite.

If a large bathroom matters to you, 6145 definitely has a larger, much fancier bathroom with a separate shower stall.

It has a nice rectangular balcony.

The view looking out from the suite is narrow because it only has a single glass door in the wall to the balcony, with no other exterior door or window.

The room has a connecting interior door to the neighboring penthouse suite and some complain about hearing the piano or voices from the suite next door.

You have a better chance of being invited to parties in the connecting penthouse than you would in 6131.

(I remember a guy saying that he invites his neighbors in the connecting sky suite whenever he throws a party in the penthouse just so they won't complain about the noise. :D)

6131 is more conveniently located closer to the aft elevators and stairs.

It has no connecting door, so it is more private.

The furnishings are not as fancy.

It has only a regular sized suite bathroom with shower inside the tub -- no separate stall shower.

The closet is larger than the closet in 6145.

It has the large, angular balcony that extends outward, as shown previously in kevinevenpar's photos.

(You can see other people on their balconies, and they can see you, unless you stay in close to the balcony doors.)

To us, its biggest advantage over 6145 is having the full double sliding glass doors, which give the suite a more open look and provide better views from inside with the curtains open.

There are tradeoffs, and ultimately it just comes down to personal preference depending on which features matter most to you.

Thanks Fleckle for your in depth analysis. I'm going to see if I get any more responses however right now I am just thinking of keeping 6131 and letting 6145 go. I like the balcony and sliding glass doors and for the past month have gotten use to the idea of this room and so I'm leaning more towards 6131. I can be persuaded though so if anyone else has thoughts--let me know. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Thanks Fleckle for your in depth analysis. I'm going to see if I get any more responses however right now I am just thinking of keeping 6131 and letting 6145 go. I like the balcony and sliding glass doors and for the past month have gotten use to the idea of this room and so I'm leaning more towards 6131. I can be persuaded though so if anyone else has thoughts--let me know. Thanks.

Checking in with the OP on what decision did you finally make? and have you cruised yet?

We have booked #6131 for our upcoming cruise. We had #6145 booked until after our last cruise when we were in the Penthouse Suite and although we are typically quiet neighbours, we did host a couple of parties, played the piano, and "thought" our neighbours wouldn't hear us :o

Upon debarkation, we viewed #6145 and were impressed with the bathroom, overall size of the room, aft location appealed to us. However, the single door to balcony was not appealing, and were taken aback when my husband played the piano in the PH suite and I could hear it clear as a bell in 6145 :(

So? saying all of that - did you stay in 6131 or 6145? and what are your thoughts?

Heather

I decided to stay in room 6131 and let go of 6145. My sister and family will be in room 6146 however and hope they will enjoy it after what you are saying. I am looking so forward to the big balcony and the sky suite. My cruise is on August 21st. Besides Michael's Club and the suite only restaurant--what are some of the other perks of suite class?

We were in 6145 a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. The bathroom was amazing and the decor was a nice change of pace compared to that of standard rooms. Also, having the PH butler was really nice; he even invited us to dine at the Captain's Table one night. We regretfully declined as we were traveling with friends and didn't want to abandon them -- our regular table was right next to the Captain's Table so they would have been sitting right next to us. Awkward! :).

We never once heard the piano, but maybe the guests in the PH suite did not use it much. And really, I think the concern about hearing piano music is overblown. Assuming they are not banging on the keys at 2 a.m., I would much rather hear some piano music than deck chairs moving around/etc.

I decided to stay in room 6131 and let go of 6145. My sister and family will be in room 6146 however and hope they will enjoy it after what you are saying. I am looking so forward to the big balcony and the sky suite. My cruise is on August 21st. Besides Michael's Club and the suite only restaurant--what are some of the other perks of suite class?

We enjoy our afternoon nibblies (served after 3 pm) and always ordered a cappuccino (or latte) to go with them.

If you go to Café Bacio (and you do not have a Drinks package) - then you pay for the coffee. If you have it delivered to your room (via request to the Butler) - it is complimentary!

For our next cruise, we took advantage of the "Resident's Offer" and saved almost $2000 CAD on the Sky Suite fare. We had to give up our perks, but we are not big drinkers anyways (MAYBE a glass of wine!) - which we can now enjoy in Michael's (as of Jan 2016). So, Michael's - now available to all Suite guests - is a nice perk :)

Heather

Edited by hvbaskey