Baseball Caps in MDR

Poohb

Anyway, the moral of my story is times change, traditions evolve and even what constitutes good manners may change and yet, the world keeps spinning!

The only manners I need to worry about are mine, and sometimes, maybe my husbands

You mean devolve don't you? Manners are a public standard Of conduct. Only following our own manners by definition means no manners.

Burt

Can I cast a vote for LETTING THIS THREAD DIE. Would not have even posted but it remains at the top of the board. For what it's worth I think guys should keep their hats off at dinner...............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Usually when I finally post something, the thread does die!:D

Sherri:)

Fin,

You are the man (or woman)! I had never heard of such a "law" but did a quick Google search and found out what it refers to. Excellent! Very interesting that I subconsciously did something that is expected by probability.

This is not a slam at all - I truly appreciate the education. I am going to watch for this in future lengthy forums.

It is very interesting. It happens more often on USENET and in unmoderated forums. Most threads around here that approach that level end up locked or deleted.

Originally Posted by yj2cute<br />

I agree with you 100%. It's a shame where this world is headed. Yes, things change, but not always for the better. :(

<br />

<br />

I admit I always get a little laugh out of the " things change but not for the better" comments.<br />

<br />

Women back in the day weren't allowed to own property. They had to wear clothes that covered every piece of skin. I'm sure they would say things have not changed for the better. Imagine if things DIDN'T change? What a backwards world we would be living in.<br />

<br />

And just because the norm changes doesn't mean you have to. That's your choice. You are still free to do what you want. <br />

<br />

And for all those that say they would tell them to remove their hat, it is considered the epitome of bad manners to point out others lack of.

Glad I could entertain you, but I said change is not ALWAYS for the better. Of course many changes are good and needed, but the loss of respect, manners and consideration for others is not one of them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Glad I could entertain you, but I said change is not ALWAYS for the better. Of course many changes are good and needed, but the loss of respect, manners and consideration for others is not one of them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

But what is disrespectful about a hat? Really, why, beyond, it just is because it always has been? There is no actual reason.

But what is disrespectful about a hat? Really, why, beyond, it just is because it always has been? There is no actual reason.

But that doesn't change the fact that, as a society, we view the removal of one's hat as a sign of respect. Thousands do it every week during the playing of the National Anthem.

But that doesn't change the fact that, as a society, we view the removal of one's hat as a sign of respect. Thousands do it every week during the playing of the National Anthem.

But why? Just Because? People on this thread said they were disgusted by a hat at the table and they would certainly move if confronted with it. I just don't get what exactly about the hat is offensive. Just because someone in the past said it was?

There is actually not anything wrong with the hat itself. Just the wearing of it while sitting at a flat elevated place that holds food. It just doesn't make any sense and I think that is why many people no longer consider this basic etiquette any longer. In 50 years I think it won't be practiced at all anymore and nobody will care. I don't think it will be for the worse either.

But why? Just Because? People on this thread said they were disgusted by a hat at the table and they would certainly move if confronted with it. I just don't get what exactly about the hat is offensive. Just because someone in the past said it was?

There is actually not anything wrong with the hat itself. Just the wearing of it while sitting at a flat elevated place that holds food. It just doesn't make any sense and I think that is why many people no longer consider this basic etiquette any longer. In 50 years I think it won't be practiced at all anymore and nobody will care. I don't think it will be for the worse either.

I'm sure at some point there was a reason behind it. I don't disagree with what you are saying and you very well could be right. In 50 years, it might be a non-issue. But, it isn't just at a table. There are other places/circumstances where it is considered disrespectful to keep your hat on.

For the record, I would not be disgusted by a hat worn at my table or request to move.

I think that the cruise lines need to consider some different types of cruising.

From what I have read here there is a group of people that do not want to follow a dress code. That is ok if ALL the people that are on the cruise are ok with not following the dress code.

People come on cruises for different reasons.

Some come because they want an elegant high class experience.

Some come because they enjoy relaxing and vegging out.

Some come because they want to see different places.

It is clear that there are some people that enjoy putting on a tux or evening dress for dinner and there are others that would feel more comfortable in jeans, teeshirt and baseball cap.

I think the cruise lines should offer cruises to cater for these groups just like the cater for "lifestyle (swingers)" or nudist cruises.

Just need to make it clear to people up front what type of cruise they are going on. If it is a formal cruise then you MUST wear the clothing designated and follow any other dress code.

If it is an informal cruise then basically wear what you want.

There are other options as well. Most MDR these days have three levels.

So have one for formal, one for informal and one for clothing optional :-)

joking on the last one but you get the idea.

Perhaps do it by seating the early seating is informal and the later seating is formal and My Time Dining is whatever you want.

Perhaps have a vote on it when everyone is on board, that would be kind of democratic. Will this cruise be formal or informal? You only get to vote at the Muster Drill. No postal vote.

Perhaps have a separate dining room for Formal and one for informal (oh that would be the Windjammer :-) ).

Just some ideas.

<SARCASM>Perhaps we could have a manners optional cruise</SARCASM>

I think I might avoid that one like I might avoid the clothing optional one :-)

You're wrong. The OP actually asked if it was ok to ask another passenger to remove THEIR hat.

You are right. Then the answer is as long as the person is not a Big Dog or with a Big Dog then you are good to go. Unless you are a Bigger Dog or with a Bigger Dog :-)

I had a similar conversation with someone recently about putting elbows on the table. I asked them why it was bad manners and they couldn't tell me.

I don't ever wear hats so this specific issue is irrelevant to me but I hate it when people say things are bad manners but can't explain why. Just because it is, is not a valid answer.

Something that isn't grasped here very well is that people from all types of cultures cruise. What is bad manners to one isn't to another and vice versa. In some cultures its rude to show the bottom of your feet or shoe. Muslims believe women shouldn't show any skin. How would people feel if a Muslim woman approached them and told them to cover up. Different culture, different expectations.

People should worry about what is in the realm of their control, which is themselves and stop worrying about what random people are doing. What good does it do to get worked up over something like this? It doesn't and even if you were to confront someone it wont change their behavior. Live and let live.

How come Chefs on RCI get to wear their hats when they parade around the dining room?

Here is an interesting article from the L A Times from 2003 about toques and uniforms in general http://articles.latimes.com/2003/aug/13/food/fo-fashion13new

If you notice on many of the cooking shows on television none of the chefs wear the toques either. (unless it is a 30-40 year old Chef Boy R Dee commercial).

And those little ones from Adventure Ocean wear their head scarf bandanas during the dining room invasion. But then again, like Barbossa said... "First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner . "

I think he was referring to the dress code too. :eek:

How come the person that plays King Julian gets to wear a cool costume and sing "Move it, Move it !!!!".

How come the people that are in the pool all wear swimwear?

How come that when you go scuba diving you wear scuba gear?

Ah!!!!!!!! And how come people that go to a formal dining room wear formal clothes?

It is all beyond me. My little brain can not keep up. You had better go ask a BIG DOG or a BIG DOG's wife, now what would a BIG DOG's wife be called???????? Hmmmmm.... My manners prohibit me from saying but I bet there is a BIG DOG or two out there that can tell us :-)

How come the person that plays King Julian gets to wear a cool costume and sing "Move it, Move it !!!!".

How come the people that are in the pool all wear swimwear?

How come that when you go scuba diving you wear scuba gear?

Ah!!!!!!!! And how come people that go to a formal dining room wear formal clothes?

It is all beyond me. My little brain can not keep up. You had better go ask a BIG DOG or a BIG DOG's wife, now what would a BIG DOG's wife be called???????? Hmmmmm.... My manners prohibit me from saying but I bet there is a BIG DOG or two out there that can tell us :-)

Not to worry a Big Dog will help you since your brain cannot keep up. Here's the difference. In the first 3 examples: a costume, swimwear or scuba gear are all required to perform the intended function. Yes, swimwear works much better than jeans and a ball cap in the pool. Formal wear is not required for to eat dinner. Now that was simple.

Ok, now for the bonus question. What do you call a Big Dog's wife? Now that's obvious...

One Lucky Lady :D:D:D

Feel free to post any other questions, I'm sure a Big Dog can help with any other questions beyond caps in the MDR,

Archived