Baseball Caps in MDR

Poohb

Let me point out that some people - myself included - have medical reasons for wearing a cap indoors that have nothing to do with chemotherapy, sunburn or surgery scars. I am not rude, stupid, inconsiderate or any of the other things attributed to me on this thread. I have better manners than to expect someone to "discreetly apologize" for their medical condition. I do not believe that someone owes me an explanation for why their choices may be different from mine. There are many, many hidden disabilities in this world. And yes I do feel "entitled" - entitled to eat in the dining room with my family on a cruise that I paid for. I do not, however, feel entitled to tell someone else that they need to conform to my personal belief system.

I have been "asked" several times to remove my cap over the years. Depending on the attitude of the person confronting me I may provide more or less of a detailed response to why I am choosing to wear it. The response of these people have varied from indignant to embarrassed to apologetic to condescending. Think about it - would you demand an explanation or apology for wearing a hearing aid or eye glasses?

If this is a generational issue then perhaps it points out that younger folks are not necessarily the ones who are all about "me". Maybe they have grown up in the era of MTV and the Americans with Disabilities Act so they have a better understanding that people have both different belief systems and different physical needs. I hope that you would not choose to let what I or someone else wears impact your ability to enjoy your meal or your vacation. I also hope that your desire to ensure that everyone conforms to your standards of behavior and dress doesn't impact my ability to enjoy the vacation that I paid for either. In this case I am not the one making a choice to be rude...

A great comment, well thought out and clearly stated.

Bravo !!

Let me point out that some people - myself included - have medical reasons for wearing a cap indoors that have nothing to do with chemotherapy, sunburn or surgery scars. I am not rude, stupid, inconsiderate or any of the other things attributed to me on this thread. I have better manners than to expect someone to "discreetly apologize" for their medical condition. I do not believe that someone owes me an explanation for why their choices may be different from mine. There are many, many hidden disabilities in this world. And yes I do feel "entitled" - entitled to eat in the dining room with my family on a cruise that I paid for. I do not, however, feel entitled to tell someone else that they need to conform to my personal belief system.

I have been "asked" several times to remove my cap over the years. Depending on the attitude of the person confronting me I may provide more or less of a detailed response to why I am choosing to wear it. The response of these people have varied from indignant to embarrassed to apologetic to condescending. Think about it - would you demand an explanation or apology for wearing a hearing aid or eye glasses?

If this is a generational issue then perhaps it points out that younger folks are not necessarily the ones who are all about "me". Maybe they have grown up in the era of MTV and the Americans with Disabilities Act so they have a better understanding that people have both different belief systems and different physical needs. I hope that you would not choose to let what I or someone else wears impact your ability to enjoy your meal or your vacation. I also hope that your desire to ensure that everyone conforms to your standards of behavior and dress doesn't impact my ability to enjoy the vacation that I paid for either. In this case I am not the one making a choice to be rude...

If you have a medical condition and hence a valid reason then that is ok. If someone is just doing it because they can then I am not ok with that.

BTW the tradition of removing one's hat came from the middle ages. Knights would remove their helmet, either for a moment, or for awhile, to show trust. ie I trust you not to bash my head in.

And as for manners "evolving" away I think that if it's true it's sad and should not be celebrated.

Although I agree with the chosen metaphor of "big dogs."

Well I am a man not a beast and will so conduct myself.

It is really none of your business if Said person, who is wearing a hat at the table has a medical condition - or other legimite reason - that is the cause of his rudely wearing a hat at your dining table. He should not be put in the position by you for having to apologize - descrettly or otherwise - for his indescretion in the first place, as he did nothing that would cause his having to apologize.
Polite people typically will go out of their way to put other people at ease. I work with a gentleman with a skin condition which has caused alopecia (pardon my complete butchering of the spelling of that word) and very sensitive skin on his scalp. He typically explains to visitors and new co-workers that he will usually wear a cap due to "a medical condition" 'nuf said.

I have a verbal communication disorder -- I lose words in the middle of a sentence and cannot move "forward" with the thought until the words get unstuck (we can go into the medical terminology but this is the explaination that makes sense to most people). There is generally a point when I am meeting/getting to know new people where I feel I should explain. 1) that my family and our closer friends or my closer co-workers are not being rude "interrupting" me, that they are really finishing out a word or phrase to help me out. 2) I save them from wondering "what is wrong" with this lady and make them more comfortable around me.

I had never really thought about it, but perhaps if I were sitting with someone who "apologized" for wearing his cap by simply stating that he was a "rude slob too self-absorbed to try to adhere to normal social norms, and by the way don't expect me to say 'please pass the butter' because I'll just reach over you and grab whatever I want and fully intend to chew with my mouth full" maybe I would feel better seated next to them in the MDR. Probably not, more likely I'd still ask the matre'd to reseat me prior to my next meal (and hope that if they re-seat some other couple at that table, that that couple is as tolerant as you seem to be)

...One question?....Do train engines run the same direction as automobiles in England or in the same direction as the States?...And do you have one of those nifty striped Engineers hat?........Can I blow the whistle when you drive?.............

Hmmmmmmm........ Yes, No, No, No :-)

Would it be improper to ask the wearer to remove it?

....well if you do this .....be prepared for a wide range of responses ......;)

......and this is one guy I would suggest that you not confront......:D

For Formal nights, I would go with the all black Oakland Raider Cap

To me its called etiquette.

From dictionary.com: Etiquette, decorum, propriety imply observance of the formal requirements governing behavior in polite society.

Polite society.

Now, one person may feel that there is no need to observe what many believe to be common polite etiquette while living in a polite society. In today's society that is more and more deemed to be ok. Who needs etiquette anyway? I guess that would mean someone letting out a big belch during the main course would be fine. Who needs etiquette? Eating with my hands should be ok too. Who needs etiquette? Can I put my feet up on the table, unbutton my pants and declare that the best damned meal I've had since I ate that possum two weeks ago? I don't see why not. Who needs etiquette?

People make excuses all the time for why they think etiquette shouldn't apply to them. To me it boils down to a simple choice really and many take the easy way out and equate lack of etiquette with personal choice. Most cases its just ignorance or laziness.

Proper etiquette changes with time doesn't it? And that happens because people change what they do.

But I honestly could care less what others around me wear or don't.

Then do it! Care less! You obviously care some if you can care less. Just teasing. The whole "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less" is just my personal grammar thing. The phrase you were looking for is actually the "couldn't" version. If you could care less, you care some. If you couldn't, there is no lower you can go in caring.

Why did I know you were a Raiders fan? WOW talk about stereotypes!!!!!!

I am not disagreeing with your previous "big dog" comments, but wow, you sure know how lay the condescending manner on pretty thick, eh? Then you say this. I'm not a Raiders fan, but as smart as you believe yourself to be, there are probably plenty of Raiders fans that are more intelligent than you.

Be careful ... You may be insulting some European women that don't follow your grooming standards.

I don't need/want to be PC or "careful" and I don't care if I offend Europen women that don't follow my grooming standards. I find underarm hair on display (men or women) both disgusting and offensive in an eating establishment and since I am sitting at my computer in the US of A with my wonderful set of Amendments that my ancestors risked their lives to protect... I really do not care that I am offending anyone. Why should being PC mean that I no longer have an opinion? I'm not holding them down and shaving (nor would I want to touch them) so why should they be permitted to parade them around for me to see while I dine?:eek:

in the US of A with my wonderful set of Amendments that my ancestors risked their lives to protect... I really do not care that I am offending anyone.

OOOOH things just got real! We've got the Constitution going on!

But wait... I will go on record stating that I do not support hairy pits... BUT if I follow the logic that you put forth in your post quoted above...

If they flagrantly show you their armpit hair and it offends you, didn't the ancestors you mentioned die for their right to do that as well? Shouldn't they ignore that it offends you and tell you to look at what your ancestors died for?

If it protects YOU when you offend THEM, doesn't it protect THEM when they offend YOU? Or did these ancestors just write it with you in mind and exclude them?

There is a sweet joke about "the right to bear arm(pit)s" in there somewhere, too. However, I'm trying to be serious in my reply.

I don't need/want to be PC or "careful" and I don't care if I offend Europen women that don't follow my grooming standards. I find underarm hair on display (men or women) both disgusting and offensive in an eating establishment and since I am sitting at my computer in the US of A with my wonderful set of Amendments that my ancestors risked their lives to protect... I really do not care that I am offending anyone. Why should being PC mean that I no longer have an opinion? I'm not holding them down and shaving (nor would I want to touch them) so why should they be permitted to parade them around for me to see while I dine?:eek:

I just want to say unless someone is grabbing the serving utensils with their hairy armpits or forcing me to eat from them, I couldn't care less if they show the armpit hair. It's just hair, no big deal. Just my opinion. You certainly are entitled to yours.

OOOOH things just got real! We've got the Constitution going on!

But wait... I will go on record stating that I do not support hairy pits... BUT if I follow the logic that you put forth in your post quoted above...

If they flagrantly show you their armpit hair and it offends you, didn't the ancestors you mentioned die for their right to do that as well? Shouldn't they ignore that it offends you and tell you to look at what your ancestors died for?

If it protects YOU when you offend THEM, doesn't it protect THEM when they offend YOU? Or did these ancestors just write it with you in mind and exclude them?

There is a sweet joke about "the right to bear arm(pit)s" in there somewhere, too. However, I'm trying to be serious in my reply.

LOL It does remember the surest way to protect your own right are to protect the rights of those you detest the most. I think you missed my point...I'm not suggesting holding them down and shaving them, but the poster that I quoted "warned" me that I might offend people. Hairy armpits offend me...not a lot I can do about it... but...if my words offend them there is also nothing they can do about it. While they have the right to warn me about offending someone...I also have the right to laugh about it!!!:D

No there is nothing written about the right to bear armpits :D ...or is there???

Thank you... you made me laugh...now lets move on to chair hogs, smuggling booze and sneaking irons on board!!!:eek:

LOL This is why-at times CC is not information seeking but entertainment seeking.

Carry on folks.................:cool:

Could you please tell the emoticon in your post to remove it's sunglasses. After all, I'm reading this inside my house, and there is no good reason to wear sunglasses inside.

That is, unless the emoticon apologizes for having It's eyes removed for medical reasons.

Could you please tell the emoticon in your post to remove it's sunglasses. After all, I'm reading this inside my house, and there is no good reason to wear sunglasses inside.

That is, unless the emoticon apologizes for having It's eyes removed for medical reasons.

:-) Very good

:(This entire thread is a big waste of time. Shorts, t-shirts, hats, they all go hand in hand. Those who get it---GET IT. Those who do not get it, will never get it if their parents never taught them any better. I just hope that their kids see through their parents faults. Bottom line is manners and respect:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Archived